Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2013-10-25, 18:39
Polly parrot

Why do we like Valve/Steam ?

Sure, we like all the indy games they are selling, we like how Valve leaves its games source engine open for anyone to modify, that they hire the most succesful mod-makers and all...

But on the other hand, you need to be connected to the internet in order to play your games, and when you buy a game (even a physical copy), you have to register it on your steam account, then, never lend it to anyone. Not only Valve games, Bioshock works like this aswell...

How come Valve does that and everyone likes them, but everyone got mad over the Xbox One policies ?

Is it only because Valve knows how to present itelf or ? Any ideas ?
Old 2013-10-25, 19:21
Magic Ball Master

I'm not sure if this is still true, or when it will start working, but it was announced early in this year that Valve will allow steam account owners to lend their games to other accounts (like 3 or 2 games per month). Whoever lent the games will not be able to play them until the other player gives the game back, but its still an awesome feature...

And we like valve because, even though you still can't lend your games to others, the price for those is 10x lower then the xbox one's... and the variety of games is also much, much higher...
Old 2013-10-25, 19:29
Polly parrot

I heard that game lending rumour, but nothing so far...

Maybe the xbox prices are high, but people didn't complain about the prices, but about the DRM polly-cies...
Old 2013-10-25, 19:33
Magic Ball Master

If the prices weren't so high they wouldn't complain about the DRM policies, because, then, everyone would be able to get the games they wanted. And we don't complain about steam because that is exactly what happens, the prices are low enough for everyone to be able to buy the games they want. Maybe not insta-buy, but its much easier to get the money for it.
Old 2013-10-26, 02:09
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
The Xbox One (proposed) plan was far more restrictive then Steams DRM.
Steam you need to log in occasionally, not 24/7, for example.

There was a lot more bits to it people didnt like, you can google for it. The XboxOne initial plans were disastrous for Microsoft, and they pretty much roled back all of them.

--
The other thing is almost certainly people trust Valve more then Microsoft.
Microsoft, just like Sony and Nintendo, has discontinued online support for services and games once the console or the games get too old. This has never yet happened with any DRMed/Internet required games, but it still makes some people nervous.

Valve, meanwhile, not only has excellent track record of support, but also gives you Linux versions for any games you already own. (assuming a linux version exists).

They also have promised to remove all the DRM's if they are in danger of losing their company for whatever reason.
Its still all, of course, a risk. But its safe to say many PC gamers trust Valve (a pure PC gaming company) more then Microsoft (A company with its hands in many pies....phones,tablets,OS,games,consoles etc)
Old 2013-10-26, 17:02
Idyllic + whimsical

Some things have been mentioned, but the way I see it:
  • Steam doesn't require you to be online all the time. Being online for a few minutes while starting the game for the first time seems reasonable in our modern world with internet almost everywhere (not too mention that you just downloaded the game, so how bad can your connection be). I've played some games in offline mode afterwards.
  • Lending is a problem but Steam Family or whatever it's called seems to solve that.
  • There are far more annoying DRMs like GFWL. Thanks to Steam, some games which had that don't anymore (like Bioshock 2 and Batman: Arkham City).
  • Steam has so many advantages: all my games available for download at excellent speeds, strong community, awesome discounts (the most I've paid for a game is $10) and trading cards which you can sell (I've already bought 2 games from the money I've earned from that); so I don't really mind if they're not perfect.
  • If I recall correctly, XBO has all kinds of other bizarre DRM systems, like using the Kinect to see how many people are watching a movie, no?
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2013-10-26, 19:40
ffffff

i don't use steam but from what i've gathered the way they work it actually makes it pretty decent and even beneficial to buy games instead of pirate them. which is kind of what every business should be doing, really.

anything that is even the slightest bit of an inconvenience when you're paying top dollar for it is frustrating.
[21:53] <OBattler> i just don´t believe in behaving like either an animal
[21:53] <OBattler> or like adolf hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
Opinions are like testicles, everyone has theirs - Those are my opinions and I have no fear to show them to you.
Quote:
but that's what it is, the troll is a rapist
a soul rapist

- Link, 2013
*~ Anakin ~ Mia ~ Rex_Hollywood ~ Jesse ~ Jasiek ~ Kitarii ~ Twinsan ~ BFFs 4 lYfE ~*
Old 2013-11-03, 13:26
weee

People like Steam for the same reason they like RPG's. Instead of skills and experience points, you gather games and achievements. Your Steam ID is your character, and you get satisfaction by nurturing it and making it bigger and better.
Old 2013-11-03, 20:07
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
can't speak for others but that's not why i like steam.
Old 2013-11-04, 03:11
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
People like Steam for the same reason they like RPG's. Instead of skills and experience points, you gather games and achievements. Your Steam ID is your character, and you get satisfaction by nurturing it and making it bigger and better.
That's not entirely why I like Steam, but I can't say that I haven't got addicted in collecting games in there... haha