Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2006-03-24, 15:14
First time poster

bout the lba 1 and 2 games

hi ther i now wacko said that they arent abandonware and all but isnt any game thats been over 5-10 years meant to be turned auto maticaly into abondanware? i remmber a court case over that fact quite a wile back and was found it to be abondonware the game is of cours "rise of the triads" but isnt it the same for all games??? ps ive been searching high and lo for a few old school games which include lba1 and 2 ,discworld ,death rally etc
Old 2006-03-24, 17:38
Master of Science & Magic

I highly doubt that there was a court case. Abandonware is simply illegal. Normal copyright law applies to software which means the software is copyrighted for quite some years (50+ in most cases). After the copyright expired it will become "public domain". It will never ever become "abandonware". The term abandonware is not a legal term and was made up by people to justify their illegal distriibution of games.

3DRealms\Apogee is the rightfull copyright holder of "Rise of the Triads" and it is not public domain. Therefor it is illegal to offer it for download anywhere. In fact, they still sell the game. The source code of Rise of the Triads has been released and can be used under a Free Software license. The binary data however is not released under that license.

PS, you can buy Death Rally here: http://store.yahoo.com/3drealms/deathrally.html
Old 2006-03-24, 17:55
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- El_Muerte: Did you know that Rise of the Triads was in fact, intended to be the second sequel to Wolfenstein 3-D (the first one being Wolfenstein 3-D: Spear of Destiny), and so it was originally called Wolfenstein 3-D: Rise of the Triads, but then it was taken out of the Wolftenstein 3-D series?
Old 2006-03-24, 19:04

yes I knew that.
I've got the official players guid for rott (came with rott:extreme), in chapter 12 the first answer by tom hall was about that.
So I knew about this since 1995.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rott.jpg‎
Views:	170
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	5516  
Old 2006-03-24, 22:07

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
All abandonware means is that the product is no longer developed by the distributing companies.

People often confuse abandonware with freeware.

They're totaly two different things.
Old 2006-03-24, 22:14

Lightwing means "no longer supported" instead of "developed". (or at least I hope)

Freeware is a legal'ish term meaning the software is gratis (or "free" as in beer).
Old 2006-04-15, 22:47
New efforts! :)

really?
Old 2006-04-16, 00:11

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Yes, that's basically what I meant.