Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2005-05-10, 04:42
The return of

Buy "Warriors of God, Richard the Lionheart and Saladin in the third crusade" Although it actually details the 2nd crusade as well. Its the best written unbiased book, it aways uses a source from both sides to confirm the same event, and the way it was written is similar to a story book, it keeps you gripped for hours at a time.
Old 2005-05-10, 12:03
formerly just angry

Axx - there is no such thing as unbiased history. Bias is not a bad thing, it helps us determine what is happening by using a variety of biases. If you take an "unbiased" standpoint no history remains as all history is a story of humanity and all humans are biased.

And the point still remians, historical element aside, this movie SUCKS as a movie as well as a documentary.
Old 2005-05-11, 15:04
The return of

I dont mean unbiased in that sence, but that it is the most "fair". That meaning that it displays viewpoints from several parties to help you establish the mood on either side.
Old 2005-05-11, 15:50
formerly just angry

fair history is dull - i'd much rather read several biased accounts
Old 2005-05-12, 06:37

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Hehe. People are never pleased Axx. You give them a biased story, and they rave about how discriminating it is toward the other side. You give them a nuetral one, and they complain that it's dull and lacks decisiveness.
Old 2005-05-12, 11:25
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing
Hehe. People are never pleased Axx. You give them a biased story, and they rave about how discriminating it is toward the other side. You give them a nuetral one, and they complain that it's dull and lacks decisiveness.
Dude, it's a bad movie :|

--
edit: just read this:
Just read your review and I want to disappoint you. This movie is not historically incorrect on just 2 occasions. It is just incorrect period. First of all Baldwin IV (Ed Norton's character) by that time was in an advanced stage of leprosy and had no use of his limbs for several years prior to his death in 1185 at the age of 24. On top of his immobility he was practically blind, yet again on the account of his illness. After Baldwin IV there was king Baldwin V (from 1185 to 1186). Crown did not go to Guy right away. About Guy - he was not a Templar, so I have no idea why they chose to portray him as one. Guy became a king of the Kingdom of Jerusalem in 1186 and remained the king until 1190. Jerusalem fell to Saladin in 1187, so that means that Guy still ruled the Kingdom after for 3 more years, but again he was not killed in the movie, so I don't know what to assume. Another problem I have with this movie is the way it shows the Knights Templar and the Knights Hospitallers. The Templars are shown as blood thirsty idiots and Hospitallers are righteous and godly. What punch of s#$t! These two orders are more or less alike in their deeds. For example Hospitallers were in favor of numerous campaigns against Egypt while Templars did not participate at all, and advised others against those campaigns. So, in my opinion, this is not a historical movie and should not be watched as one. It is inspired by the historical events, with this notion I agree. Although, I thought that it was a very poorly done adventure film. Ridley Scott is great master, but he is very inconsistent in his work. For every good movie he makes 3 bad ones.

Historically accurate as hell?
my ass.

Last edited by Reek; 2005-05-12 at 11:35.
Old 2005-05-12, 18:09
inharmonic explorer

History is a load of cock. People need to learn how to move on.
Old 2005-05-12, 18:30
formerly just angry

Hey don't knock my degree

Nah History is largely self-indulgent...and that's the way I like it
Old 2005-05-12, 18:49
inharmonic explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_angry_

I only said it because I'm bitter. I am going to fail my history A level.

In fact, I'm probably going to fail all my A levels apart from English. I like English; it requires very little revision.
Old 2005-05-12, 20:20
Still in a dream...

Just because a film isn't historically accurate doesn't make it a bad film.
Old 2005-05-12, 20:38
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_angry_

Here, here.

Tags
movies, religion