Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

View Poll Results: Madonna: What do you think about her fake files?
She's showing those communist mp3 stealing bastards that nobody steals music! 3 25.00%
She is an evil coldhearted bitch who needs to stop over dramatizing! 9 75.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2003-04-22, 05:35
Magic Ball Master

Madonna: Does she have p2p whipped?

The recent controversy over her latest video aside, how do you feel about her releasing her "bogus" music tracks across the filesharing network? I heard that they say something like "What the fuck do you think you're doing you bitch?"

When I had filesharing, I really only had it so I could sample new CD's to see if I wanted to buy them, not to steal albums and $$$ from the artists. Since I no longer fileshare, it really doesn't affect me, but I'm just wondering how you guys feel.

Personally? I don't think she's that great, I have her first greatest hits CD, which is pretty good. But she isn't really as good as she makes herself out to be, and her time has really passed to new artists like Avril Lavigne (ugh...), Michelle Branch (yea!), Shakira, and pop divas like Britney and Christina.

Double-J
American Godfather
Old 2003-04-22, 10:02
Magic Ball Master

It's not only Madonna, the RIAA had more plans of making the life of p2p users harder by using bogus music tracks. That's especially handy with the resuming and multicast download p2p applications of nowdays: this way you'll get tracks with mixed music and silence.

I don't care too much, I hardly use p2p anyway. But if it really gets worse, people will go to other p2p networks with protection against this, like the eDonkey/eMule and Gnutella networks. Those are very hard to interfere with, unlike Napster and even Kazaa.

The RIAA has also realised you can't stop internet distribution, it's only a matter of time before they'll have their own online shop. The difficulty is that broadband and mp3 players are still too scarce for a major switch to this new system where you buy and download your albums instead of buying a piece of plastic in the shops.

Oh, Madonna? Neh, I'm not really a big fan
Old 2003-04-22, 11:11
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
Well, I always like to have a piece of plastic

But too be honest, the only sales that dropped of CD's were those of the popular brands, the cd's of rather unknown bands rised.

And that's the whole matter about it. The only companies sueing and such are big one's like Sony and such.

But I'm a bit puzzled, Madonna was one of the big artists supporting the MP3 and such (and my guess is because she only keeps 'alternitive' bands )

But all these people should start to understand to get benifit out of MP3.

The whole bullshit about this matter isn't that your destroying the bands itself, bands get most of their money out of concerts, the rest just goes to greedy companies (and I'm saying greedy here, because there is in NO WAY they can justify 20 to 25 euros for an album!)

But of course, the user never has rights when it comes to this matter, we simply don't have enough money to have a right to say something -_-
Old 2003-04-22, 14:18
Magic Ball Master

Old 2003-04-22, 15:48
Bottoms Up!

Send a message via AIM to citadelle Send a message via MSN to citadelle Send a message via Yahoo to citadelle
I guess I'm a little 2 sided... I might be pissed off too, (if i were in the music business, that is) if people just stopped buying 'my' albums. On the other hand, its a nice tool, as Double-J said, to sample music with. I tend to download several tracks, and then buy the cd if I like what I hear. If anything should suffer from this, It should be singles, not albums. And Atre is absolutely right about the prices! (even if they're usually on sale for 15$ or so)

I heard about that Madonna thing too (mtv news ), but i suppose if one were really desperate, they'd eventually find a good track.
Old 2003-04-22, 20:59
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
It serves those file-sharers right...nah i share files too,
but that doesn't mean i'm okay with it...let them suffer a bit
Old 2003-04-22, 23:55
LBA fan

I detest when artists think that they can stop or slow down the file sharing. It shows their ignorance about the subject.
I personally like and prefer to rip off and steal those artists $$$ by downloading their music, because of the economy, but I buy CDs when I really want them. So
In anyway, I wouldn't be really pissed if I was an international rock star with seas of money and started to lose 10% of my future money if people started to share it. I wouldn't know how to spend the money I already had at all.
Old 2003-04-22, 23:56
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
I am amazed by that too... what the hell do they do with that money anyway?

I know for sure I'd not be needing it...
Old 2003-04-23, 00:55
Still in a dream...

Welllll...... the way I see it... p2p is only illegal if you get caught

They sell CD's and DVD's for too much if tehre werent so damn greedy, they'd make more money. £3 for a single... I can get it free off KaZaA Lite or whatever. Idiots run the music industry lol
Old 2003-04-23, 01:09
Magic Ball Master

I know it's just ridiculous I mean it would be wrong to steal from some little band that makes there living on CD sales but Madonna could just stop working now and be set for a comfy life without work.
Old 2003-04-23, 18:13
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via AIM to StarmanDX Send a message via MSN to StarmanDX
I'm big on mp3s, but if I really like a band, I'll buy their CD ^_^

(edit: and CD singles are evil.)
Old 2003-04-23, 21:26
What is this place?

not to mention there are pleanty of songs you simply will never hear without MP3 (foreigh songs, OST's, etc.)

Or songs you'll only find on LP
Old 2003-04-23, 23:17
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
In an ideal world we would pay-per-listen, the method the music got to us by should not matter.
The more you listen to a piece of music, the more the artist gets.

Obviously, this system is unworkable, but it would be the "fairest".
Advertsing and marketing wouldnt be nearly as important, as its the "repeat listening" that would make the most money.
Old 2003-04-24, 00:03
What is this place?

I'd become broke easily if that system would ever happen...

the fairest would that all the 20 euros, or at least 10 euros would go to the damn artist themselves and not some fat cigar smoking manager.
Old 2003-04-24, 01:05
Still in a dream...

Quote:
Originally posted by StarmanDX
I'm big on mp3s, but if I really like a band, I'll buy their CD ^_^

(edit: and CD singles are evil.)
Yeah, same

Single CD's will suffer the same fate as your AOL CD XD XD
Old 2003-04-24, 04:00
Mageling at heart

Quote:
Originally posted by Atresica
The whole bullshit about this matter isn't that your destroying the bands itself, bands get most of their money out of concerts, the rest just goes to greedy companies (and I'm saying greedy here, because there is in NO WAY they can justify 20 to 25 euros for an album!)
not true. concerts generally only just break even nowadays. especially "small" bands who don't have their own concerts but play in events organised for more than one band - they don't get much money at all from concerts. the concerts are just there to promote the recordings.

one of my friends has just signed a record deal with his band, y'see, which sony are "interested in" - but it's ok because whenever anyone says the word "sony" near him he makes the sign of the cross they haven't started selling records in a big way (cos they've only just now signed the record deal and haven't recorded an entire album yet), they keep doing gigs all the time but that doesn't make them money so they have to either get an advance from the record company (which is dangerous in case they aren't successful) or keep their day jobs (which is what they're doing). yeh.

personally i think the internet piracy issue is like the global warming issue. it's no use blaming the nearest likely culprit (internet piracy and the greenhouse effect, respectively), you have to look at the problem properly!

in the case of music, the reason they aren't selling cds any more is because the market is saturated with samey crap which is sold at higher and higher prices... if the fat grey old suit-wearing men in charge of the big labels actually tried to get some real talent and make it worthwhile buying it, maybe more cds would be sold. but i don't believe they have a fucking clue what real talent is. (that's why they hawk small labels and say they are "interested in" deals they sign, like my friend above).

(if ya wanna know - in the case of global warming - we happen to be in an interglacial period (we're in a short temperate period in the middle of an ice age), which is naturally unstable, and the climate of the earth is expected to fluctuate. personally i don't believe humans are able to have such a vast impact on this planet as to cause it to warm up unnaturally. not yet, anyway. humans have a tendency to believe they're more important than they really are. but i digress...)

---

oh and by the way double-j, saying madonna has given way to avril lavigne is heinous...

madonna still sells more than avril lavigne, and that's without the intense publicity drive that avril has. and avril is a fad; she's going to be forgotten as soon as the fad she is built on passes by. madonna, on the other hand, is going to rule the industry until she decides she doesn't want to any more. and unlike avril lavigne she rules the industry by producing the music she wants to, and not the music she knows the audience wants (which is the essential difference between art and populism - the beatles vs elvis presley, mozart vs bach, shakespeare vs chaucer...). that's why madonna's just come out with a completely off-the-wall album, something that isn't what her own fan base is used to, something that no-one else is really doing at the minute, which no-one is going to like on the first few hearings. she's still going to rule, and in a few months everyone else will be doing it. if avril did it she'd fade straight back into obscurity where she belongs...

end of rant. sorry.

shakira is cool though.
- kirsty maccoll
Old 2003-04-24, 06:28
Magic Ball Master

IMHO, Madonna of the present sucks. She was better in the 80's/early 90's.

She isn't the queen of the industry anymore. I might not care for Avril, but combined with the others, they are eclipsing what Madonna has done with a new breed of pop/rock.

Besides, Madonna is nowhere near as important as she thinks she is.
Old 2003-04-24, 12:19
Mageling at heart

Quote:
Originally posted by Double-J
IMHO, Madonna of the present sucks. She was better in the 80's/early 90's.

She isn't the queen of the industry anymore. I might not care for Avril, but combined with the others, they are eclipsing what Madonna has done with a new breed of pop/rock.

Besides, Madonna is nowhere near as important as she thinks she is.

all the people you mentioned (except avril lavigne) are cool, and talented, but not nearly as successful as madonna. and none of them have in any way set a precedent (except shakira maybe). michelle branch, for example, isn't that sucessful outside the us, and not for want of trying. and she's on madonna's label lol
- kirsty maccoll
Old 2003-04-24, 12:54
What is this place?

Hmm, I think Madonna's not that bad. At least, I think her Ray of Light album was brilliant.
I haven't been able to check her 'new' one, mostly because I didn't really bother (I didn't like the singles that much)

And there my canadian friend, you are saying quite the truth, the music industry, and especially record labels, are stuffed with mammoths.
And I soooooo agree about the greenhouse thingy
Old 2003-04-24, 16:09
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
I'd become broke easily if that system would ever happen...

the fairest would that all the 20 euros, or at least 10 euros would go to the damn artist themselves and not some fat cigar smoking manager.
I dont think you would, if the artist picked the price for each track, people would only listen if it was a fair price.
Probably not more then a penny per song, maybe less.
(as the artists popularity rise's, they might start changing more).

There would also be a good incentive for artists to release free
tracks, so people would buy their others if they liked it.

The "middle men" would be cut out completely in this system, as the physical CDs, the transportation, even the advertising becomes completely worthless.
The only way a song will make money if people actualy like listening too it
Best of all, Sony would probably go bankrupt
---
oh,year, sign me up for agreeing with that global warming thingy too.
Allthough im still for more effient oil use (we only really have a finite amount)
Old 2003-04-25, 14:29
Mageling at heart

Quote:
Hmm, I think Madonna's not that bad. At least, I think her Ray of Light album was brilliant.
I haven't been able to check her 'new' one, mostly because I didn't really bother (I didn't like the singles that much)

And there my canadian friend, you are saying quite the truth, the music industry, and especially record labels, are stuffed with mammoths.
And I soooooo agree about the greenhouse thingy

are you calling me canadian? lol

when you say her "new" one do you mean 'music' or the new new new one just realeased on monday?
- kirsty maccoll
Old 2003-04-26, 00:13
What is this place?

I thought... bweargh, I guess I wasn't awake...

"Music", though it had at least one track (you know, the other one there was such a fuss about because she was driving a grandma in her car while doing all kinds of 'bad' things )
Old 2003-04-27, 01:19
Mageling at heart

Quote:
"Music", though it had at least one track (you know, the other one there was such a fuss about because she was driving a grandma in her car while doing all kinds of 'bad' things )
i thought that was quite a boring track. don't you think 'don't tell me' is amazing though? maybe it wasn't released in holland.
- kirsty maccoll
Old 2003-04-27, 03:05
Zebrazilla

Hmm, i downloaded some songs from the latest "The White Stripes" album "Elephant".
And i could only find one song, in its full length !

all the other songs where just a loop of the 20secs in the beginning of the song, going on for about 3mins.

Arr !

That is annoying.

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2003-04-27, 03:26
Magic Ball Master

Thats a great CD, but that shows how when somethings free theres no guarentee. Hey we never discussed stealing CDs its the best of both worlds

Tags
music, tech