Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

View Poll Results: LBA 1 VS. LBA 2
LBA1 50 38.17%
LBA2 81 61.83%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2005-02-28, 22:21
You what?!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandy
LBA1 was much better. Original is usually best, etc. I found it to be more exciting, the music to be better and the environment to be nicer. Zeelich was a bit crap to be honest.
I loved the little secret hatches everywhere! Zeelich was too small, and kinda made it impossible for a reasonable sequel...

LBa1 music does bring back the old feel but its like bot13 said, whichever you played first is gonna seem better...

I played LBA2 a million more times, but that was only because LBA1 installation buggered up for me so much.

The LBA worlds were like another life, and i was forever searching for new secrets and little thingys when i was younger.

I love 'em both!
Old 2005-03-09, 17:29
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Both are great!! but after finishing Lba1 today, i choose Lba1!!!
Lba2 i have finished many times!
Old 2005-03-09, 21:13
Sheepie for short

I like Zeelich...

My LBA screenshots page. And some exciting games I have made.
Old 2011-11-01, 11:09
Magic Level: Red Ball

I prefere LBA 2 , because the atmosphère is better than lba1.

LBA2

+ The Atmosphère
+ Univers magic
+ Difficult perfect
+ many different places ( Zeelich , Monn... )
+ the story simple but effectively
+ the side of the child
+ unforgettable adventure
+ the best adventure games of the earth ! ( With Zelda Wind Waker)
+ immersive

- The outdoor in 3D, has not aged well

LBA1

+ The first LBA
+ the story simple but effectively
+ also the side of the child
+ a great adventure

- hurts when you touch the wall
- less magical than LBA2
- Difficult very hard
- not immersive for me
Old 2011-11-01, 12:21
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitarii View Post
I loved the little secret hatches everywhere! Zeelich was too small, and kinda made it impossible for a reasonable sequel...

LBa1 music does bring back the old feel but its like bot13 said, whichever you played first is gonna seem better...

I played LBA2 a million more times, but that was only because LBA1 installation buggered up for me so much.

The LBA worlds were like another life, and i was forever searching for new secrets and little thingys when i was younger.

I love 'em both!
I played LBA2 first and I like LBA1 more...
Old 2011-11-01, 16:35
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Apparently I voted for LBA 1. Although I really can't remember why...

Now that I'm playing both games again, I find LBA 2 more enjoyable.
Old 2011-11-01, 16:59
Magic Ball GrandMaster

I myself agree that the atmosphere is much darker in LBA1, the plot is somewhat longer, and that there are some things in it that were better than in 2.

However I really like 2 better, not so much about the story, but the gameplay feels better. Especially hitting walls!!
Nevertheless I still think the story of LBA2 is fantastic, little less than in 1 but still fantastic.

And the 3D world is also incredibly immersive.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.
Old 2011-11-01, 19:00
the legend

To place the LBA series in a "1 vs 2" discussion, is like discussing whether women or men are better. Or cats and dogs. Ketchup and mustard. Whatever.

The point is you'll never get a definite answer, and the truth deep down is that they both complement the other, there is no best.

In fact, it is heresy to do so.
WE SHAL NOW BURN THIS THREAD, BURN IT AT THE STAKE.

I prefer LBA2.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2011-11-01, 19:11
Magic Level: Red Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceguitarist View Post
to place the lba series in a "1 vs 2" discussion, is like discussing whether women or men are better. Or cats and dogs. Ketchup and mustard. Whatever.

The point is you'll never get a definite answer, and the truth deep down is that they both complement the other, there is no best.

In fact, it is heresy to do so.
We shal now burn this thread, burn it at the stake.

i prefer lba2.
^^ !
Old 2011-11-01, 19:24
Neko

lba 1 is not very hard.

Besides, the atmosphere is way better. It's not a kiddie game.

lba2 kind of turned into a children-aimed game with super mario graphics. The original was very dark with heartfelt music

on a side note, lba 2 is awesome too. But it's nowhere near as emotional or great as lba 1
Old 2011-11-01, 19:40
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
...on a side note, lba 2 is awesome too. But it's nowhere near as emotional or great as lba 1
Yea that's true, 2 is less emotional. But that's because you don't hurt yourself at walls so often.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items

Old 2011-11-01, 19:51
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by J McKalling View Post
Yea that's true, 2 is less emotional. But that's because you don't hurt yourself at walls so often.
Actually, LBA2 is more emotional for me due to the memories associated with it. I played LBA2 first, played LBA1 several years later. The LBA2 ending video still gives me goosebumps sometimes.
Old 2011-11-01, 20:19
Magic Ball GrandMaster

That's why I was sarcastic, judging the level of emotion is personal. The children part of LBA2 does it for me too.

Old 2011-11-01, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by J McKalling View Post
That's why I was sarcastic, judging the level of emotion is personal. The children part of LBA2 does it for me too.
My bad... I haven't read the second half of your sentence. That doesn't happen to me often.
Old 2011-11-01, 22:04
Magic Ball GrandMaster

A difference that I find to play a decent factor between both games, is the way FunFrock is presented. In LBA1, he's an evil dictator who took over half of the planet, whereas in LBA2, he's only a figure under a misguided name who isn't even controlling the population (note a great deal of the population in 1 is his own army).

This difference has a lot of impact on the atmosphere that we're talking about. If you're traveling accross islands and army men or roboclones block your way, instead of simply the police and armed inhabitants, you get the feeling that FunFrock actually has you under his control by means of his own hands. In the latter case, you're merely being frustrated by the misguided oppositional belief of the population.

*Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_Hollywood View Post
When it comes to games, I write I or II or whatever, but for LBA it looks strange...
That's because LBA uses the numerical character itself, so you're used to seeing LBA2.

Last edited by J McKalling; 2011-11-01 at 22:14.
Old 2011-11-01, 23:11
You what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
I played LBA2 first and I like LBA1 more...
I wish I could remember what I meant by "secret hatches".
Old 2011-11-01, 23:19
Neko

Nobody really is badmouthing lba2. It is rightfully called a masterpiece. But people get kind of blinded to the brilliantness of lba1 because of it. That is, they do not really get what makes it such a wonderfull game because they mirror it to lba2.

It is a masterpiece for entirely different reasons, yet the same...for emotion and atmospere ARE its core too. But here it is dark, lonely and full of despair, yet strangely coated in cuteness (stars when you hit someone). The music is a few layers deeper in emotion as well. It is less adventurous and more hopefull. You can feel the repression, the nearing rebellon...
Old 2011-11-01, 23:23
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
... they do not really get what makes it such a wonderfull game because they mirror it to lba2....
Also another cause for us mirroring, is the title of the thread
Alaz that's what makes me compare the two anyway. I do recognise the greatness of LBA1, however, I'm just answering the direct "LBA1 vs LBA2" question.

Old 2011-11-01, 23:30
Neko

What I mean is: they judge lba 1 in a way of "how much is this like my favourite game lba2?" and this is most often because they played lba2 first.

I for years judged lba2 just the same: "how much is it alike the great game lba1?" and that's just not the way you should compare.

Lba2 is the greater adventure, but the story and the music is better in lba1. I also prefer the setup of lba1: you're a nobody and have to outrun the first half of the game, slowly rising to power.

So...all in all, it's lba1
Old 2011-11-01, 23:43

Quote:
Nobody really is badmouthing lba2. It is rightfully called a masterpiece. But people get kind of blinded to the brilliantness of lba1 because of it. That is, they do not really get what makes it such a wonderfull game because they mirror it to lba2.

It is a masterpiece for entirely different reasons, yet the same...for emotion and atmospere ARE its core too. But here it is dark, lonely and full of despair, yet strangely coated in cuteness (stars when you hit someone). The music is a few layers deeper in emotion as well. It is less adventurous and more hopefull. You can feel the repression, the nearing rebellon...
I get what you're saying, playing LBA2 invokes vastly different emotions than playing LBA1, but I don't think either one is 'better' than the other. Both LBA1 and LBA2 are masterpieces, and though they have lots of things in common, for example the gameplay is very similar, they are also very different in a way. I belive preferring one of them to the other greatly depends on our current mood. For instance, sometimes I just 'feel like' playing LBA1 and there are times I think LBA2 is better.
Old 2011-11-02, 05:58
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
It's been such a long time since I played the games for the first time, that I think it hardly matters now which one I played first. Apparently in 2003 I liked LBA 1 more, although I did play LBA 2 first. And now I prefer LBA 2. So, at least for me, I don't think this really matters.

edit: yay, 20,000! 7 years after I reached 10,000. And almost 4 years after I was "supposed" to reach it .

By the way, what's up with the "new posts" button for this thread? It automatically takes me to the last post, and all the apparent new posts are automatically marked as "read".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20000.jpg‎
Views:	98
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	8943  

Last edited by morshem; 2011-11-02 at 06:03.
Old 2011-11-02, 12:00
Magic Ball GrandMaster

I think it's thus better to compare the game in their differences, instead of stating which one to prefer. It's more satisfying to objectively notice differences and analysing them, then to argue what is better in which

Old 2011-11-02, 22:45

Oh I don't know about the atmosphere thing... I love both for entirely different reasons. LBA1 has that awesome feeling that you're basically alone against an allmighty dictator and his army, and you can feel the ancient lore of Twinsun while Twinsen is looking for magical artifacts for his quest, which is really cool.

As for LBA2, I think that Zeelich is underrated to be honest. Sure, it's way too small, but I love the gloomy, depressed vibe it gives. Especially when you reach Francos Island and that sad music "Purple" plays, I dunno... I can really feel that the Zeelichians work hard and blindly believe in their emperor and the prophecy because life in their planet sucks so much they just cling to any ray of hope they have.
Old 2011-11-02, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
As for LBA2, I think that Zeelich is underrated to be honest. Sure, it's way too small, but I love the gloomy, depressed vibe it gives. Especially when you reach Francos Island and that sad music "Purple" plays, I dunno... I can really feel that the Zeelichians work hard and blindly believe in their emperor and the prophecy because life in their planet sucks so much they just cling to any ray of hope they have.
I love Zeelich! The atmosphere is so... surreal. I mean, there are sausage-people to beat there.
Old 2011-11-03, 02:28
Polly parrot

I prefer the first. I dunno, atmosphere, the second is... just too much (that doesn't mean I don't like it).