Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Modifications > LBA Prequel
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LBA Prequel The goal of this project is to make a prequel of LBA1 using the original engine. (homepage)

Old 2007-01-17, 21:37

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Misc Question

(aproximately) How many levels have you decided to do for the mod?
Old 2007-01-17, 23:05
Magic Ball Master

Levels is kind of a hard question to answer...I mean, it isn't like a platformer on a Mario sense, where you can say "Okay, there are 8 dungeons" and whatnot.

Trust me...if we can work out the last technical limitations, this game should be bigger than any LBA game that we've ever seen before.

On the whole though, I think that as far as major dungeons, you'll see the Temple of Bu (though not maybe how you'd expect...), a mansion, and some other pretty sizable locales.

If you're worried about length, don't be. (Haha...insert Wii joke here )
Old 2007-01-17, 23:15

Well, I'm wondering because for every level (and by level I mean a scene surrounded by black space) has to have it's own characters, objects and that results in more modeling, voice acting, etc. Number of levels kind of gives me an idea as to the scope of content, which in turn tells me something about the amount of time you'll need to finish the mod.

Cheers~
Old 2007-01-17, 23:21
Magic Ball Master

Ah, the number of scenes (/grids).
See it like that: LBA 1 had 134 grids. (14 of them are just special disappearing ceilings)
The maximum is 150 grids. (Because of the savegame format)
Old 2007-01-17, 23:29
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing View Post
Well, I'm wondering because for every level (and by level I mean a scene surrounded by black space) has to have it's own characters, objects and that results in more modeling, voice acting, etc. Number of levels kind of gives me an idea as to the scope of content, which in turn tells me something about the amount of time you'll need to finish the mod.

Cheers~
Voice acting shouldn't be a problem - we have a number of talented people already on board. Couple that with MBN members contributing their voices as well (which we're still waiting for...we've gotten more of a response from people outside of the community than we have from MBN members... ) and we've got plenty of people for voices.

Alex and Obras' tools for modifying characters, and Alex and Zink's editing programs, all will make our jobs much easier. The process has already begun. Lewi-G is currently working on our first cinematic for the game, Luke is storyboarding, and I'm continuing on with the script and readying the newsletter for release.

Actually, the only thing that isn't progressing is NPC dialogue, we haven't had really any work done on that, even though it was assigned about a month ago. I've already written the dialogue for the main script (at least as far as its completed) with contributions from Ricochet and the rest of the team, but the other characters who fill in the rest of the island are mostly incomplete. I know Chaosfish expressed interest in working on this area. Perhaps you, Lightwing, would be interested as well?
Old 2007-01-17, 23:37

I don't know if I can take time do write dialogue as I'm currently involved with RMP, but I would be interested in "reviewing" your script, if that's allowed. I know some people (*cough cough* George Lucas *cough cough*) wouldn't let anybody edit their script, but I would like for this mod to be a great hit, and I'm always interested in reading another amateur writer's work as a hobby.

I will admit, I've used my Mod skills to read the Prequel scripts in the past (oh, I'm bad), but now that's over as the team-only subforum's disappeared from me sight :P
Old 2007-01-17, 23:43
Magic Ball Master

You naughty boy. Would you really want to adulterate yourself by reviewing the Prequel script?
Old 2007-01-17, 23:49

Well, what I saw of it half a year ago wasn't so bad. I wanted to comment but there wasn't enough of it for me to make assumptions about characters and story. Like I said, I'm always happy to read someone else's work.

Last edited by Lightwing; 2007-01-18 at 00:43.
Old 2007-01-18, 03:09
Magic Ball Master

Much has changed since then, I would think. Had I written anything yet? The earliest revision of my official script I have is July 7th, 2006. So hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised if that was the last read you've had.

And I may take you up on your offer. Thanks mate.
Old 2007-01-18, 04:32

I wait with the anticipation of a cocker spaniel.
Old 2007-01-18, 04:39
Magic Ball Master

Down boy! No humping!
Old 2007-01-22, 16:13
Magic Ball Master

Regarding the first question.
I think will be good for this mod to have at least all outside island scenes we have in LBA1 plus some other island regions which are unknown for us. Ofcourse we have a 150 scenes limit, but I think is enough for what we need. If we reach that amount it will be perfect. About the time, yes, if we have too much scenes to use this will need extra time and the project could be delayed, not only for designing the island, but for coding it and give it life. Also we need to be careful about the story script which we will need a lot of time to bug test it. Maybe the first demo could be exactly for people help us finding the things we forgot fixing it . Overall, we still have an huge journey to give life to the first scene...

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website