Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2006-06-22, 17:55
Master of Science & Magic

Prey demo released

You should download it and play it (unless you don't like FPS games).
It's really awesome. Half Life 2 and Doom 3 are nothing compared to this game.
I can't wait until the full version is released. It has been along while since I've been this excited about a game.

http://gamershell.com/download_14372.shtml
Old 2006-06-22, 20:08
Magic Ball Master

I saw this demo but I wasn't aware it was this exciting
I'll download it and see.

There's a fairly fast mirror here:
ftp://ftp.quicknet.nl/pub/Windows/pu...patsboom/demo/
(I usually get my demos from there)
Old 2006-06-22, 20:58
Member #174

Send a message via MSN to Assassin
I saw it got released aswell. Haven't taken the time to download it yet though because I assumed it wouldn't really run on my computer anyway.

I guess I'll just start downloading it now and see wether my videocard can handle it.

Edit: Just tried it. It's interesting to say the least. I like the whole kidnapped by aliens thing. Makes you feel really small in the world. Also love how you can walk on the walls and ceilings and stuff so there are no real limitations. Only one think I have to moan about, I think it's a little too much like Doom 3. The dark small passage ways. The linear path you have to go through. I really like the idea though.

Last edited by Assassin; 2006-06-22 at 21:52.
Old 2006-06-22, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin
Only one think I have to moan about, I think it's a little too much like Doom 3. The dark small passage ways. The linear path you have to go through. I really like the idea though.
It's not as dark as Doom 3, not even close. Also Half Life 2 is often more dark. As for linear path.. well yeah. Not much to do about that. Most FPS games are as linear as that.
The small passages... well apperently that's mostly because of the Doom 3 engine. But at least the level design is much better than what Doom 3 and Half Life had to offer.

I hope there are more levels where part of earth is assimilated with the aliens.
Old 2006-06-23, 00:01
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
It looks very farscape-insane-sci-fi-ish-cool to me...but
a) theres no way I have time to play another pc game, when I got a few unopened for the last few months
b) my pc would need upgradeing.
Old 2006-06-23, 01:30
Trippin Alien

I thoroughly enjoyed half life 2, because you played it from a typical real world city scenario, and that made me feel more immersed because I could relate to it better than a research base on mars, another planet or some other science fiction idea.

Much the same as Max Payne 2
Old 2006-06-23, 06:41

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Well, you don't have to relate to something to feel immersed in it.

I can't relate to LBA but I feel more immersed when I play than in any other game.

This "Prey" looks nice, but I've gotten tired of FPShooters since the day I layed my hands on "Deus Ex." When the only interaction in a game is action/combat stuff, I get bored.

Edit: Just played the demo. It's a very nice start, albeit rushed for some obvious reasons (players want to get in on the action as soon as possible). Despite the rush the game seems to do a good job of making the alien abduction feel real. I wish it could go a step further than just walking around and slaughtering stuff.

Last edited by Lightwing; 2006-06-23 at 07:26.
Old 2006-06-23, 08:04

Well, it's still a first person shooter. not a first person adventure game.
Anyway, I hope there is a change of scenery in the final game, because it's quite boring to be in the same environment the whole game.
Old 2006-06-23, 11:20
Happy!

Send a message via MSN to Bender
Got the demo yesterday, playd it and loved it all the way through, the comments tommy makes about his surroundings are halerious.
The graphics r bloody insane, even thou its on the doom3 engine they have added very awsome shader effects to it, it is also very optimized, i was able to run it maxed out, with 4 aa & 8af with no lag what so ever.
Portals work very well, and the whole walking on walls presents new gameplay challangers.
The gameplay is very fun, weapons are quite unique in design.
Very much looking forward to this game.
Thou....this seems to be very similar to the idea i had for my game...lol, thou mine is alot more erratic and crazy.

^^I hope too EL_Muerte that the whole game isnt through the corridors of that space ship, but i think they would have relized this and the games been in the making for quite some time now, on and off over thet last 8 years.
So hopefully there is some varation to keep players interested.
I also found it funny how they had children in the game, both of which died...lol thought it was a taboo in video games to have children in them.
The Multiplayer is ok...thou isnt my cup of tea i prefer css or a hardcore sessions of UT..multiPrey felt kind of wierd to me.

So far..after playing the demo i am 100% gonna pick up this game, looks like a quality prodoct...
Old 2006-06-23, 11:49

The game has been only in development for the last 2 years.
The first Prey was cancelled, this one has been made from scratch (only the characters and stories remained the same).
Old 2006-06-23, 13:14
Tomorrow burns!

Send a message via MSN to Illumina
El Muerte> Just like Half-Life, but the character's were then better tweaked than before.

I've tried out that demo, and that game had fantastic features which other games don't have, like perfect location synchronization by the portals and spirit walking like the indianic religions depicted.

Last edited by Illumina; 2006-06-23 at 15:30.
Old 2006-06-23, 18:42
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I saw my friend playing it...looked fantastic..great ideas.
The enviroment, dispite the organicness, still had the "high contrast high bump" look that games are getting these days.

Level design wise it seemed suppriseingly like Nintendo Metroid Prime games. (organicness to the landscape, crawling down things that look like inside of a body ect).

The features in terms of portals are stunningly well done...I loved the pointless bit in the demo where you could walk though crates at an angle, and see yourself walking in front of yourself...and keep going like that in a loop
Great fun.

The portals, in theory, also allow them to have a huge range of landscapes.
Think about it...they could shrink you down and put you exploreing some mold, or some small plants/grass that becomes a forrest like to you.
Almost any enviroment is simulatable that way.

I was slightly less impressed with the weapons in the demo...nicely modeled, but pretty generic in effect.
Old 2006-06-23, 20:13

The weapons are not balanced very well. I played a bit of multipray today and it was very clear some weapons were way to powerful.
For SP it doesn't matter, for MP it does. But MP is more of an added bonus anyway.
Old 2006-06-24, 14:29
Tomorrow burns!

And later in the game, it's fun that you can only temporarily die, saving you the troubles reloading the game and do it over again.
Old 2006-06-24, 15:12
Classic

Yes, that bit is vagularly like the "Trapper Dimension" in Eternal Darkness.

The way you get health by shooting the flying things is good.
Old 2006-06-24, 22:02
Radical Dreamer

this game loads so little time for so many things... so unlike hl2

(I loved hl2, but I hated the fact I was pulled away from being completely immersed by the ridiculously long loading times every 2-3 minutes of gameplay )
Old 2006-06-24, 22:16

I like the fact that the main character actually speaks. It makes the game feel less lonely.
Old 2006-06-24, 22:29
Do the evolution.

This game doesen't look even remotely nice to me...
SOme cool graphics, and some very cool innovational ideas an all, but come on, that's still a shooter. And I have never actually seen an adventerous shooter, becosue of the FPP camera you have a weak connection with the character. And it's dark and gloomy, My thoughts when I see this are "Turok", but I may be wrong, I know I wouldn't enjoy it tough.
Old 2006-06-24, 23:40

Jasiek: even played the game Tron 2.0? Also I don't really see any relation with Turok. I would say, play before you judge. At least in this case it's fairly simply since there is a demo that doesn't require you to install other crap in order to play it.
Old 2006-06-24, 23:43

The demo actually ran on my computer. It's crashed a few times on me, but it's better than F.E.A.R., which ran only when I put it on the lowest settings (and even then everything turned black & white).
Old 2006-06-25, 01:07
Do the evolution.

Well, I simply don't like dark games, I hate survival horrors, it's the same with movies, I like epic battles, magical stories, surrealistic, comic, or other nonstandard environments. All those monsters and corridors, and blinking lights and suspense don't turn me on. I'ts like this, I couldn't play stonekeep, becosue the constant suspense made it boring to me, than there was doom, dark and no fun at all. Return to castle Wolfenstien I played until Ireached that church, after the dungeons. I tried to beat Shadowman, wich was very cool, but it was too "I don't give a fuck about the world" like, and I don't like that either. I may try Prey at my cousins tough(won't work here), becouse this indian element (that's why it somehow resembles Turok to me) sounds intruguing.
Old 2006-06-25, 03:32

It's surprisingly not very dark (in the demo at least). Although, I do wish they'd do more stuff than just small corridors :/
Old 2006-06-25, 03:42
Classic

The more I think about it, the more Pray should..in theory..have some of the most diverse landscapes possible.

Quote:
Well, I simply don't like dark games, I hate survival horrors, it's the same with movies, I like epic battles, magical stories, surrealistic, comic, or other nonstandard environments
Dont think those two are mutually exclusive.
Eternal Darkness is certainly a servival horror game, but it has some of the most surrealistic and diverse enviroments possible.
Any game that has you playing charecters from a roman legionair to a fire-fighter in Iraq counts as non-standard enviroments to me

Also, dont think viewpoint limits something.
Theres been a few excelent first person games over the years with adventure elements. Sometimes mixed (metroid primes) sometimes pure adventure, but first person (starship titanic).
Old 2006-06-25, 10:37
Tomorrow burns!

Jasiek> Before I downloaded that demo, I thought the same way that you do: "Nah, it's just another action shooter game." But still, since el Muerte showed me the fast link to a demo download, I gave it a chance. When I got to experience a game with spectacular visual effects, I changed my mind then.
Old 2006-06-25, 13:35
thegnarlypanda

Send a message via AIM to hobmoblin
I downloaded the demo and I love the first part where you get abducted it does a good job of making you feel small and trapped. If you get to go back to Earth it'll be even better. I can run it on High settings without AA (although Doom 3 can run on High with 2XAA no lag at all and looks amazing) with no lag whatsoever.

Specs:
ATi Radeon X700 256mb
1gb Ram
1.7GHz AMD ATHLON
Soundblaster X-Fi Fata1ity

I'll definatly pick this game up, but I want Quake 4 first.