Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2013-04-14, 05:37
the legend

Dear Programmers,

I've had a project in the drawer of my mind for many years, and around 2011 I've decided to put it in a neat .pdf to sum up it's goals with a brief introduction and description. However, we're in 2013 and I still didn't even get near finding someone able to do it. So I want to ask you programmers, whoever wishes to volunteer and get interested in it, to help me do this. This is the project:

DOWNLOAD/VIEW

I will be in charge of the graphic interface, but that's about all I can do.
I have no idea of the difficulty of this project, but I am really hopeful someone can spare some of their time doing this. You motivation might be the fact that when it's done it will be a very, very useful tool for many digital musicians out there.

Originally this project was handed to Link (Adrien), thus the final notes at the end of the .pdf which you can ignore, but he didn't have time to make it, so this is the reason I am looking for someone here.

Thanks for your time.

PS: Musicians and sound-tweaking enthusiasts of this forum... reading this project might be of your interest.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2013-04-14 at 17:32.
Old 2013-04-14, 09:55
Neko

Chrome doesn't trust it? Weird.
Old 2013-04-14, 11:30
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Might be too do with the massive Heineken advert and the request for cookies ?

SG - I dont have time myself (too many of my own projects), but Id love to see what this is about. Any chance you can host else where? (google docs, dropbox, even mega.nz should do. Googledocs would let people view without downloading though.)
Old 2013-04-14, 17:35
the legend

Strange, I was using WeTransfer.com, a very well reputed website (even "hipster" if I'm not mistaken ).

I've uploaded it in my server, should work now for everyone now. Updated link the in first post.

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2013-04-14 at 21:00.
Old 2013-04-18, 02:15
the legend

By the way, maybe you yourself can't do it, but perhaps you know of somebody who would be interested and could do it?
Old 2013-04-18, 06:52
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
By the way, maybe you yourself can't do it, but perhaps you know of somebody who would be interested and could do it?
Try synthedit. I heard it can do a lot
Old 2013-04-18, 15:24
the legend

That's actually very interesting. I'll save it as my last resource if I never find anyone to actually make it...
Old 2013-04-18, 15:40
Neko

I don't have the time to do it alas.
Old 2013-04-18, 22:08
the legend

Yeah I probably came to the wrong place.

Thanks for the suggestion anyways.

Old 2013-04-18, 22:20
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Well I could be of help as a programmer, but this case really needs someone who is both a programmer and someone who knows a lot about music.

This place probably only has a collection of people who are programmers, but just a very select also do music. I thought there was at least someone else besides you, here, but I don't remember whether CS2x was also a programmer.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.
Old 2013-04-19, 00:01
the legend

I'm not sure understanding about music is a requirement.

Understanding the construction of VST's is necessary, and, for the specifics of the musical theory involved, I could help, and we could discuss and develop the project right here in this thread. It will involve more math than actual music knowledge. I believe there are other pitch-shifting plugins out there, that could serve as a source-code, of which you could develop from it.

Old 2013-04-19, 00:18
Magic Ball GrandMaster

If you think so, that's ok. But I think it will seriously help a programmer if he's well with the subject of the software. Good quality implies relativity I always say.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.
Old 2013-04-19, 00:49
the legend

Yes, it would be better... but like I said... you can always ask here and I will help. It's like a blind person helping a deaf one and vice-versa.

Old 2013-04-20, 01:10
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Its a cool idea, but no time from me.

Most the stuff I know about sound perception I got from this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_0DXxNeaQ0
The idea that mixing a few highpitched notes can make it sound lower blew my mind.
Old 2013-04-22, 10:16
Polly parrot

Nice vid, very interesting...
Old 2013-04-22, 18:13
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Its a cool idea, but no time from me.

Most the stuff I know about sound perception I got from this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_0DXxNeaQ0
The idea that mixing a few highpitched notes can make it sound lower blew my mind.
It's a nice vid, but vastly incomplete.

Spends too much time trying to overwhelm the viewer, trying to sound oh-so-smart while lacking to mention several important aspects of what's really important if we're to think of what is true music. A few examples: the fact that our 12 tone equal temperament scale DOES NOT correspond the perfect ratios, and thus basically all western music is out of tune, and that 440hz is a bastard standard pitch imposed by nazis, the correct would be 432hz, etc etc.

Nevertheless, it helps emphasize how much this project of mine is important.
As far as I know, there isn't a VST plugin that works with perfect ratios out there.

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2013-04-22 at 18:28.
Old 2013-04-22, 19:28
Polly parrot

440hz's wikipedia states that the American music begun using it in 1926, and that it was accepted by the International Organization for Standardization in 1955... Where do the nazi's come into picture ?
Moreover it also states that for the human ear, this note is the easier to identify.
Old 2013-04-22, 19:38
the legend

Where? just read to the end the article in the goddamn link I gave you in my last post.

Old 2013-04-22, 20:44
Polly parrot

I read a bit about it after posting actually and... I don't know, sounds very over-the-top to me... Have you ever tried to play something in 440hz, and then the same thing in 432hz ? Is there really such a difference ?

Because that article is practically saying that the human races will go extinct because of that...
Old 2013-04-22, 20:48
Neko

Quote:
Where? just read to the end the article in the goddamn link I gave you in my last post.
You believe that? Wtf.

Lets play frequencies that are dividable with 3 because it is spiritual and sacred!
Old 2013-04-22, 20:58
the legend

*sigh*

Here goes the snowball...

Sure, the guy is a bit overreacting and shit, that doens't mean much of the info he points out is incorrect. He gathered such info from other sources (just google "nazi 440hz" for instance) and used his own rage when writing about it, just try and not confuse his emotions with the actual issues. In the comments people have pointed out pretty much the same points you are raising, so please refer to that, where it is explained.

Anyway, the short answer: there isn't a clear audible difference for untrained ears, Polaris.
Then again, IF there isn't - why is it your wiki article said "for the human ear, this note is the easier to identify" ? Kind of contradictory, isn't it? obviously, something smells bad here...

Old 2013-04-22, 21:00
Neko

That site also says this:
http://humansarefree.com/2012/12/the...mids.html#more

Seems legit.
Old 2013-04-22, 21:05
the legend

Alas, the snowball effect. You'll associate a real issue with conspiracionists "because of the site it's in" and laugh. Go on, I can see where this is going, all I need is anakin now to kick the snowball even further...

Old 2013-04-22, 21:11
Neko

Quote:
Alas, the snowball effect. You'll associate a real issue with conspiracionists "because of the site it's in" and laugh. Go on, I can see where this is going, all I need is anakin now to kick the snowball even further...
No, the link I posted sounds just as absurd as the one you posted.
There is no real issue. What exactly makes you consider this to be a real issue?
Does music inflict any sort of conflict in you?

I know lots of music to have a healing affect on you. And they are not repitched to form perfect ratios.
Old 2013-04-22, 21:16
Neko

And how on earth would ice crystals know that hitler is a bad word and teressa a good word?

I've been raised with a lot of spiritual values but the older I get the more I see how much Bs is just spouted without any significant scientific backing whatsoever. And all the spiritual people will point at thousands of conspiracy theories including chemtrails and whatnot, to try and convince us that what they say is real. But they never have to justify or proove their claims.

Nothing personal sgk, I just am really skeptical of this sort of stuff cause I have seen too much of it already.

But if you are into it, cool. It doesn't do any harm.

Last edited by Neko; 2013-04-22 at 21:33.