Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > Administration > Graveyard > LBA3D
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LBA3D A fan game based on the LBA Games. [homepage]

Old 2002-10-28, 21:12

Send a message via ICQ to Xakep_INC
[Discussion] For the Programmers

How will be better to make the events? by coordinates? any other ideas?

My Idea:

Make some range of XYZ coordinates for each event implement a scripting engine and make an editor which will allow you to put events and scripts to areas.
Old 2002-10-29, 02:47
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I think there should be a simple file listing the events for each area.The file contains the co-ordinates of anything that can have an event attached to it (mainly charecters, I suppose). Listed for each object/person is there movement type (if any) and if a pre-set script is used for their actions.

eg.
EventID:34
ObjectID:12
StartingXYZ: 534,251,33
Movement_type: Random_in_box(30,30)
Movement_speed: 6
Destoryable: YES
Hit_Points: 45
AI Type: Sphero_enemy
ConversationID: 24
ItemDropType: Cash(1,50)

ObjectID and ConversationID could link to other files.
Movement_type, AI Type and ItemDropType could all link to pre-set types.
The examples I used are:
Random_in_box(30,30) [moves randomlly in box that size]
Sphero_ememy [defult sphero attack script]
ItemDrop: Cash(1,50) [random cash between 1 and 50)
=======
I know this would be hard to set up, but its really just Mid$ (excuse my VB) type events.
It would make editing,modding, and expanding extreamly easy, even for none-coders.
Its also supprisingly flexible, you could have an event like:

EventID:67
ObjectID:9
StartingXYZ: 535,201,15
Movement_type: Static
Movement_speed: 0
Destoryable: NO
Hit_Points: 0
AI Type: OpenDoor(15) [where 15 is an ID for a object]
ConversationID: 0
ItemDropType: None

This would be how to set up a switch to open a door.
As long as you make sure the part of the game that "reads" the files can take veribles in brakes for pre-set script types, you can have almost anything done.
You would simple get the program to look for the words between "AIType:" and "(" to get the AI type and the look for the next number for additional information for that type.
Old 2002-10-29, 12:45
dig me now, fuck me later

Send a message via MSN to lembo
hmmm...yes, that would seem the most sensible way to do it, much more accurate and better for expansion.

preset scripts for actions = good

however, wouldn't it be much more code-efficient to instead use pre-set scripts to define the actions, and then pre-set funtions to script the actions, being as the same variables are going to be needed for every sphero_enemy, they could just be collected together in a function and called to. I'm pretty sure i haven't made that very clear so:

EventID:34
ObjectID:12
AI Type: Sphero_enemy
Call AI Type(1,45,24,Cash(1,50),Random_in_box(30,30),6)

Func Sphero_enemy(Dest as boolean,HP as integer,ConvID as integer,IDT as string,MT as string,MS as integer)

Dest: 1
HP: 45
ConvID: 24
IDT: Cash(1,50)
MT: Random_in_box(30,30)
MS: 6

Then you may want to call more functions to define what Cash(1,50) and Random_in_box(30,30) are, or you may want to just use them as is, either way, that would be the same as was suggested above anyway. That way you would need a funtion for each type of AI (sphero_enemy, door_open etc etc etc), and then 5 lines of code for each object in-game, as opposed to 10 lines of code for every object in-game.

Not sure if that would work or not, having never seen any of the code that your producing, but its an idea.

Lembo...

**EDIT**

Quote:
ObjectID and ConversationID could link to other files.
okay, in which case, thats how it would be done, not by calling other functions.

How to open a door:

EventID:67
StartingXYZ: 535,201,15
AI Type: OpenDoor [15 not needed; it will be called into the func]
Call AI Type(0,0,0,None,Static,0,54)

Func OpenDoor(Dest as boolean,HP as integer,ConvID as integer,IDT as string,MT as string,MS as integer,Door as integer)

Dest: 0
HP: 0
ConvID: 0
IDT: None
MT: Static
MS: 0
Door: 54

This should work, as different functions could require to be called with different variables without any trouble. That way, also, you wouldn't need to be able to read the list, stop at any '(', read whats in the bracket, then work out what to do with it in relation to which item it was with.

However, as i said, no idea whether this will work with what your doing or not, its just an idea

www.disassembly.co.uk

Last edited by lembo; 2002-10-29 at 13:04.
Old 2002-10-29, 13:26
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Well, thats certainly seems a more effient way of doing it, allthough it will be harder for none coders.
Not much harder mind, Im sure with decent remarks anyone could learn to edit it.
I think you should expirment and see which would be easier to implement.
--
I havn't attempted to code anything this complex, I dont know much C++ or Java, just lots and lots of VB.
I do use files like in my example often in VB programs, I find it the easiest way of expansion.
Especialy when its easy for both the program and a human to read the file.
Old 2002-10-29, 14:01

well its really not much different from what you said, it just saves on the repetition.

I haven't done any java or C++ either (although i've *just* started to learn C++), i've done a little in VB, but not a load by any means, i have no idea what you meant when you said "its really just Mid$"...lol

I can usually visualise how programs work pretty well tho...

Lembo...

www.disassembly.co.uk
Old 2002-10-29, 17:20

I think that the best way is to make both script system and wizard system.
Old 2002-10-29, 18:27

I'm not sure what you mean Xakep?

the script system? and wizard system?

incidentally, both systems require a pretty detailed XYZ grid of each map to be defined when the map starts up, i can't imagine that this is the best way to do it, unfortunately, i can't think of any other way

If what you mean by the script system is your initial idea, your initial idea of scripting each event individually and assigning it a position is a good one, but it has been evolved upon by the next two entries. The system you initially suggested would need very precise movement for it to be used with enemys, and would take up a lot of code. The next suggestion removes the need for precise movement by allowing a definition of movement and other properties of the actual item involved, and i think my method shortens the amount of code required.

You didn't really explain exactly what you wanted from your system though, so maybe i'm wrong about that.

Lembo...

www.disassembly.co.uk
Old 2002-10-29, 18:32

Quote:
Originally posted by lembo
I'm not sure what you mean Xakep?

the script system? and wizard system?

incidentally, both systems require a pretty detailed XYZ grid of each map to be defined when the map starts up, i can't imagine that this is the best way to do it, unfortunately, i can't think of any other way

If what you mean by the script system is your initial idea, your initial idea of scripting each event individually and assigning it a position is a good one, but it has been evolved upon by the next two entries. The system you initially suggested would need very precise movement for it to be used with enemys, and would take up a lot of code. The next suggestion removes the need for precise movement by allowing a definition of movement and other properties of the actual item involved, and i think my method shortens the amount of code required.

You didn't really explain exactly what you wanted from your system though, so maybe i'm wrong about that.

Lembo...
Script System:
An advanced scripting engine for coders.

Wizard System:
Some point'n'click system with easy settings (type of movement, position e.t.c)

And no, that will not be hard to make a detailed XYZ grid map.
Old 2002-10-29, 18:47

right, okay, i understand now. It would seem best to write both as a wizard system could be used to create normal characters and enemys, but the scripting system would be used to make charaters carry out specific tasks such as lead twinsen somewhere or fetch something or press a button or whatever. Thats cool, i understand now.

And i know it won't be hard to create an XYZ grid for each map, but what i was commenting on was that i can't imagine that its the most efficient way of doing it, being as the grid would have to be loaded with the map each time. Perhaps a system based on textures would work better? like have the script for a door button linked to when twinsen presses a specific instance of that texture. Then all that would need to be done is to link that button to a specific door instance. Perhaps that could be done by linking the door button instance (i.e. doorbutton(45)) to the door instance by some form of algorithm (i.e. doorbutton(n) = door((n*2)+3)), or even n = n. You could also have enemys placed on specific instances of floor textures, as opposed to specific positions on the grid. That method would also save having to make very accurate calculations about the grid position for an enemy to start on so that it doesn't start with it's feet through the floor, or so that a button isn't un-useable because its been placed one grid space too far back and the actual action can only be activated if twinsen is inside the wall or something. Thats the other reason why i suggested that a grid possible isn't the best way to do it, because it seems a very long way to do it to work out the exact grid position for every item in the game so that they work properly.

Lembo...

www.disassembly.co.uk
Old 2002-10-29, 19:59

Why? it's not complicated at all!
The computer will handle all the details and the user will just create a box or chose an object and apply an event (or many of them) which can be activated by many ways(touch, action e.t.c).

-------

The texture method is not so good. because it applies to a whole texture. And what if i want to make a part of a wall doing something without making a hole and new object inside it?
Old 2002-10-29, 20:12

but how would the user know which co-ordinates to put the object at? i mean, it has to be user-specified, and they can't just be dragged around on the map to the right place can they? or can they? am i just being stupid? If the user has to specify the co-ordinates of the object, then surely they would have to work out the co-ordinates that the object should be at beforehand, which is what i'm saying would be the difficult part, how would they do that?

Incidentally, in textures, you have a ready-made referencing system. In almost every object you are going to want to interact with, a single texture will have to be applied to it (buttons etc), so why not make those textures the reference? Its not like the whole wall is going to be made of buttons...

Also, if you happen to want to make a secret thing where you have to 'use' a certain part of a wall which is indistinguishable from the rest of the wall, then this wouldn't need to happen very often, so creating a new object inside the wall with the same texture is a perfectly valid way of doing it.

When textures are put on a wall/floor, they're tiled across it right? so every time the texture is tiled, a new instance of it would have to be made, which means that every new tile has a unique reference, or at least, it would be very easy to *give* every new tile a unique reference. In which case, couldn't this unique reference be used to identify exactly which part of the wall/floor the action should be carried out on?

I just don't see why a completely new reference system needs to be made when theres already one avaliable, and one which removes the possibility of things being placed inside walls or whatever.

Lembo...

www.disassembly.co.uk
Old 2002-10-30, 01:30
Classic

Quote:
but how would the user know which co-ordinates to put the object at
A simple overhead map with the grid on, its easy
--
Its also simply to set up every object/event with a unique ID. Theres no need to have an inflexible system based on textures.

Global XYZ co-ordinates will be FAR,farfarfarfar easier then local ones, whats the point in local co-ordinantes at all?
Just use the global scene co-ordinants.
==
Xakep_INC - I dont think a wizard system isnt worth the effort, at least, not an extensive one. If you just keep those little files nice and easy to understand (as the examples were), then it shouldn't be much of a problem for people to expand.
--
It would be possible to make a whole new game by just using those files in fact!
The programs looks for the defult landscape (say a 3DS file),then it looks for the event file for that landscape (same file name, different extension).
The event file would contain all the information need to populate the landscape with moving, active objects and creatures (linking to other user-supplied 3DS files for objects, and some text file system for conversations).

Given enough pre-set event types (Im thinking we could get almost 100 or more), this would give a very flexible system.
Old 2002-10-30, 02:49

Quote:
A simple overhead map with the grid on, its easy
but you need an X, Y AND Z co-ordinate right? so that wouldn't do would it? you'd need an entire 3d-map with the grid overlayed which you could move around to find the grid reference you want wouldn't you?

Quote:
Its also simply to set up every object/event with a unique ID. Theres no need to have an inflexible system based on textures.
That would still be there, the texture referencing would just be to reference the position of the action. You COULD use them to define actions too, but that was just a by-thought.

And as DF said, it WOULD be possible to make the game like that. Put the functions for all of the different types of AI in the game engine, then make another document to be loaded with the map which loads every object into the map, then calls to the engine when the objects are needed in-game, using the method which was shown ages ago.

Lembo...

www.disassembly.co.uk
Old 2002-10-30, 16:19

Erm.. Mr. Lembo, i want to clear out something for you:

1. OpenGL 3D API is generating 3d coordinates automatically.
2. To make that texture based events i will need alot of code to convert it from XYZ to textures and to make some other things.
Old 2002-10-30, 17:38

okay, okay, i'll drop the texturing system.

Right, in that case, would someone mind explaining to me how the 3D co-ordinates for each object are produced, i understand that the grid is created, thats no problem, but how do we actually take the XYZ co-ordinates for each object?

Lembo...

www.disassembly.co.uk
Old 2002-10-31, 00:42
Classic

You look at the map, you pick a spot, you look at its co-ordinates you write them in the file
Allthough everything is full 3D, the majority of objects would be on a ground plane. By defult the program could assume that Z=the ground.
Only if you specify a Z co-ordinate does the object float.
Old 2002-10-31, 01:12

yeah, but HOW do you find it's co-ordinates? i mean, a grid overlay from overhead i can handle, but that won't give you the Z co-ordinate.

Oh, and from what i can remember, there was actually quite a lot of different levels used in LBA2...

Lembo...

www.disassembly.co.uk
Old 2002-10-31, 18:05

How many times should i say?
XYZ Coordinates Are Generated Automatically!
Old 2002-10-31, 20:11

okay, but HOW is it generated automatically? I mean, the XYZ co-ordinates have to be with the file when its loaded up so that it can be placed in the right place on the map, so they have to be known before the map is loaded up. So when does it generate the co-ordinates automatically? and how does it do it?

Sorry about this, but all i keep getting is, "by a grid" and "its done automatically"

www.disassembly.co.uk
Old 2002-10-31, 21:18
Classic

The event file spacifys the coordinates for each object, and thats the file thats loaded first. Actualy, it dosn't mater if the events or landscape is loaded first, the screen cant be updated till BOTH are loaded.
---
The landscape, would just be set with its corner at 0,0,0 or something.
It will then use the event file to populate the landscape with objects/ncps/enemies at co-ordinates given.
--
When entering co-ordinates,you can guese most co-ordinants and correct them till its right.
X,Y can be done with a map.
Z will defult to level of the landscape at the (x,y), or if the file specifies a height, it will go to that height.
The vaste majority of LBA2 was on the "ground plane", any heights could easily be guesed at.
There is absolutely no reason to have a "visual" way of specifiying co-ordinantes. It would just be a waste of effort.
Old 2002-10-31, 21:30

so they're NOT generated automatically?

and as far as i can remember, there was actually quite a lot of level-swapping in LBA2.....but maybe not......

www.disassembly.co.uk
Old 2002-10-31, 23:25
Classic

What do you mean by automatical..I dont get it.
The co-ordinant system is there automaticaly, but the program needs to know where to put things withen that system.
aka, it loads the landscape, loads the event file for the landscape sees:

It looks for the object with ID9, if nesscerly looking at a user-supplied 3DS file.
(there might need to be another file containing a look-up table to relate ID numbers to files).
It then positions the object at those co-ordinants and supplies the movements given.
Easy.
Old 2002-11-01, 13:37

argh! nooooo! how long has this gone on now?

okay......i'll try and explain this a little more clearly....

Xakep said that the co-ordinates were generated automatically...

but darkflame is saying that you take them manually.

Presuming that they're taken automatically; HOW does the computer take the co-ordinates of something automatically without you actually telling it where it needs to go? The only way that i can see is if you use a drag-and-drop editor to place objects into the map.

Presuming that they're taken manually; i understand that to get the XY co-ordinates, you can place a model of the grid over the map, and take the co-ordinates that you need. But in order to get everything in the places you want them, the grid would HAVE to be pretty accurate. I understand that it isn't a problem to create this grid, but how would this grid be used to find the Z co-ordinate? I mean, even if a lot of things ARE at ground level (although i think that there was a lot of height-changing in LBA2, and the height for a button, and for a character spawn are going to be different), its simply not pheasible to just guess at the Z position that each object not at ground level should be at, and keep testing it until you get it right. I mean, you could do it, but it would take so long it would just be stupid. You can't overlay the XZ or YZ grid onto a side-view of the map the same way as you can with the XY grid because you would have to do a cut-through of the map at the exact position that you want the object, which again, wouldn't be pheasable to do for every object in the game.

*hopefully* you'll understand what i'm looking for now.... lol

Lembo...

www.disassembly.co.uk
Old 2002-11-01, 15:46
Classic

Xakep meant the co-ordinante SYSTEM was there automaticaly.

Quote:
Originally posted by lembo

Presuming that they're taken automatically; HOW does the computer take the co-ordinates of something automatically without you actually telling it where it needs to go? The only way that i can see is if you use a drag-and-drop editor to place objects into the map.
No you dont, you simple type "50,50" or whatever in the file, using notepade or something.
The whole point of having easily understod events files is you dont NEED an over the top editer.
--
Look, 99.99% of objects ARE at tarrain level.
The objects that arnt can be guesed at, it isn't that hard at all, if somethings above the ground then it is either a flooting ememy/object (in which case it dosn't have to be accurate), or on top of another object.
If its on top of another object (like a building), then you simple add the height of the building onto the landscapes height!
You see? no need for complex editers.
--
If you REALLY need an accurate postion, and theres very few case's where this would be nesscery, then you simple load up your favorate 3D program, set it to the same scale as LBA3d use's, then read of the co ordinates you want from that.
Old 2002-11-01, 15:56

okay, okay

right, so what about in scenes like the bank in the island of the wannnies, where there were 5, 6, 7? different levels?

i think i actually understand this finally.....

incidentally, i didn't think that they WERE generated automatically, but its what i was told, quote from Xakep:

Quote:
How many times should i say?
XYZ Coordinates Are Generated Automatically!
anyway, thx a lot

Lembo...

www.disassembly.co.uk