Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Modifications > LBA Prequel
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LBA Prequel The goal of this project is to make a prequel of LBA1 using the original engine. (homepage)

Old 2009-08-21, 16:56
Magic Ball Master

I wub you Link!
Old 2009-10-01, 15:02
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Hey there,

I found this forum this year and was really excited to see so many activities of LBA fans trying to bring a new Little Big Adventure episodes / modifications / fan stuff etc. to the world. My first touch with LBA was back in the days with Twinsen's Odyssey. Still today I can say that this was one of the best games I ever played. Not only the style was great, even the story was absolutely thrilling and compelling. I also heard some time later that there will be a LBA 3 but, didnt know that also a hudge community was forming trying to create their ideas of a continuation of LBA.

Im not only here to appreciate your work you done in the last years. Im also posting in here because I thought about helping out in your projects. Thats not yet a full commitment, because first of all I have to clear some questions, to have a better understanding what you did so far. I still understood that there are a lot of projects of different people aiming different things. So for someone who didnt followed your forum and discussions the last years, is it really hard to grab in a short what projects are out there, what they want and what progress or status they have. I hope that you can apologize my fear to read the whole forum (which consists of about 380 000 posts) to get the actual status. So I would be really happy if someone of you could give me a short overview of the different projects which excists/excisted, what they stand for, what they aim etc. To give you an example I read about the following projects, which I have more, less or none information (Its really a bit confusing for newcomers here :

- LBA1 engine
- Twin-E
- LBA-Online (Ogre)
- TGR
- LBAScript
- LBAPI
- LBA 1 mods
- LBA Prequel
- LBAnet
- LBAnimator Studio 2
- LBArchitect
- Art there some more ?

And here are some more information about me, I do know more or less the difficulties about creating a game or even trying to create a remake. Some time ago (2006) I started creating a remake of a game called Rocket Jockey. The original was released 1996, unfortunately it wasnt really known. But the people who played it were mostly excited.
So I created a webside and a forum to be able to bring all old fans together discussing the old game and the new one I was creating. A lot of fans (not so many like for LBA here) found my side and we were really active about 2 years. I also was hoping this time to get some fans into this project helping me to finish it. Unfortunately noone were able or willing to help constantly for this, so I decided some time ago to close this project. Maybe some day I will recontinue it, but it doesnt seem to be coming. So in a short Im familiar with C++/Delphi/3D (blender)/ and 2D, familiar with the engine Irrlicht (http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net) and in some time with Ogre too. That does not mean that Im only for doing LBA stuff with this engines, rather than doing it with the old LBA isometric engines.

And as a conclusion a link to my webside: http://www.solar-ray.org

best regards,
Old 2009-10-01, 20:57
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
The situation is like this (In my point of view):

Untill like last year there haven't been any real content a normal MBNer could enjoy, though we all were feeded on the promises of new glorious projects that never saw the day of light.

However during the last year a lot of nonMBNers that are programmers have independently been working on various LBA projects, and actually have a lot of material to show for it. Also during the last year LBA got a few moddifications to it, once again not to the most regular MBNers. The joy for the members is fantastic for all of us to be able to play the old game in a new world.

As of today, many progressive projects are open. But as for the modding tools creation, the most active developer to my knowledge today is Zink, also Alexfont and Obras have done significant contributions, I have myself done a bit of work too. LBAPI is very new and almost just an idea for now. But I think the safest way to do work that pays off is one of the following:
  • Since you know Delphi, why not help Zink create LBArchitect. I'm sure he's active and I'm sure he can need assistance. LBArchitect is the most of all used tools by all modders.
  • I don't have any clear picture of the recent LBA projects that aren't modifications, but they seem all successful. Check them out.
  • LBAPI is something I really believe in is a great idea. But it's also a very very hard task I think that will require extreme well planning and good knowledge of the LBA engine parts. As said it's hardly been started but if you got time you might want to start creating interfaces for it (or whatever presteps are required)

I hope this gives a decent picture of todays situation.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2009-10-02, 18:51
Fruto di tutti frutti

LBAWinOwns pretty much summed that up, and I will try to specify more on some things that I know about.

Twin-E: Originally started by yaz0r, unfinished and now dead (AFAIK). It is in quite advanced stage (graphics, some interaction, no sounds), but yaz0r doesn't have time any more (AFAIK). Kind of revival of this project is Prequengine by alexfont, but he doesn't have much time too (but he still wants to continue development in some time).

LBAPrequel: it is a modification project that aims to tell story of one of the Twinsen's ancestors: Hegesippe. It has been a little steady for some time, due to discussions about the engine and expectations , but there are still people (me included) that want to make it. For now it is waiting for LBArchitect beta 7 which will enable us to start working on the world. There is a problem with 3D model editing (we don't have a decent editor, but one is being development, so we hope to be able to use it one day).

LBAnimator Studio 2: is the 3D model editor I have mentioned above

LBArchitect: is a program that can edit LBA 1 & 2 isometric areas (LBA 1 world is entirely made of them) and so-called "Scenes" that define player interactions with the world.

As LWO said: if you're interested in helping me writing LBArchitect, you're welcome to do so. I'm writing it in Delphi 7. See the bugtracker for information on what needs to be done, and give me your e-mail, so I will send you the source code. If you want to help, of course .
Old 2009-10-03, 00:27
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Ok, could you create an svn for LBArchitect, it would be easier to work together on the source (Im using Delphi 7 too). I send you my email per pm...

cheers
Old 2009-11-17, 01:05

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Just for comparison:

King's Quest: The Silver Lining

So this is Silver Lining, a fan made game that has been in development for 8 years (King's Quest Series).

They have had a pretty large team throughout the entire time and cranked out a lot more content for the game than we have for LBA Prequel.

Here is a snipet from Lady Wikipedia:

Quote:
The Silver Lining was originally intended to be released as a trilogy, but will instead be released as a single game. The game will contain Chapters 1 and 2 only. The team has said: "Chapters 3 – 9 will most likely never be released non-commercially, because without funding, it would take us 10 or more years to complete them."
20-30 folks worked on this game for 8 years and all they got is perhaps 1/6th of the game. And that's pretty impressive.

Now our team is tiny by comparison and you can imagine what kind of success we're looking at.
Old 2009-11-17, 16:39
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Honestly, how large did you imagine Prequel to be at the time you were most optimistic?

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2009-11-17, 17:03
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
Honestly, how large did you imagine Prequel to be at the time you were most optimistic?
I still think many of the things we set out to do - new story, new models/animation, new musics, etc. - all were/are possible. The problem is that the snags we ran into with the engine are too much for only two or three people to handle. If we had a team of programmers, I'm sure we could get around these issues, but none of us have the time to do that and we haven't found any programmers who have really been able to help Alex and Zink.
Old 2009-11-17, 19:09

How large doesn't really make a difference because we never got as far as a small, completed Demo.
Old 2009-11-18, 08:28
Fruto di tutti frutti

For the Silver Lining I guess they have developed a custom engine, which required a lot of work. And as I see the locations are more complicated to make than for LBA (and we have possibility to use some of the original graphics; yes, I know your stance). I think our job is much easier (or will be when we have the proper tools), so it's not good to be so pessimistic.
Old 2009-11-18, 09:37

I'm not being pessmistic, per se. I'm trying to provide a realistic outlook so that others do not have insane expectations (e.g. "When is the full game going to come out??")

On an unrelated note, here is a test of the 3D Tavern in the Unreal Engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuur364MaAc

Took me a while to fiddle with a thing or two to get that to work. Always wanted to see what it would be like to explore it in a game environment. Collision detection works (a little too well on the stairs there), and its interesting to be able to physicaly move about inside it.
I apologize that I'm moving through the tavern like crazy, but I tried to keep it short because even this 30 sec video ended up being 30 megs, which is ridiculous. YouTube compresses it ofcourse. Anyway, this test shows that you can in fact walk about the place. I do feel that it is a little small just because how quickly one can go from one end to the other. And then when you realize that there will be people in the scene...

Last edited by Lightwing; 2009-11-18 at 09:44.
Old 2009-11-18, 16:12
Magic Ball Master

That's damn nifty, Yev.