Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > SpeedRunning > LBA1 Speedrunning
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LBA1 Speedrunning Just how fast can LBA1 be done?

Old 2016-05-31, 16:17
FreemanQC

Send a message via MSN to gravel22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless View Post
Further exploring the save-glitch, I have found another strat! This time for skipping Rebellion Island and the fight at the Hamalayi completely! It works fine on both Android & Enhanced PC version. This is a great alternative for the meca-jump which isn't possible on these versions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xuwjh7i4Gs
That's awesome haha! But Meca Jump works on Android, I remember Doc achieve it, but it's really hard
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Old 2016-05-31, 16:23
Zebrazilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel22 View Post
That's awesome haha! But Meca Jump works on Android, I remember Doc achieve it, but it's really hard
Really? It's possible? Oh wow : o I have never gotten it to work after so many tries. I will have to try and try again.

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s

Last edited by Homeless; 2016-05-31 at 17:15.
Old 2016-05-31, 17:52
Zebrazilla

Quote:
I asked Doc to confirm this and he unfortunately can't. He did say however that he likely was pushed a bit by the meca which could indicate that it could work. I have seen this as well, Twinsen being pushed a short distance. As of this time I am not certain of one way or another so I'm personally leaning towards the meca jump turning out not being possible.

LBA Speedruns
Old 2016-05-31, 18:01
Zebrazilla

In further explorations of the save-glitch I have found another strat for which it can be used; Finally a way to skip the Museum on Android, in other words getting the medallion/horn without getting the key (at the Museum) to Twinsen's secret basement!

This strat is only possible on Android due to save-glitching during a cutscene:

I ended up testing a great number of starting positions in scenes and carrying these over to the cave scene, most of these were horrendous making Twinsen end up in water, the the void outside the scene, below the floor etc. 1 or 2 other positions were close, but not close enough. 1 of those positions were inside the cave but not up on the wall, resulting in Twinsen not being able to get out after having gotten the medallion/horn. Fortunately there were 1 of at least 30 alternatives (multipied with however many save positions were carried-over through multiple instances of saver-glitches) that ended up being just right

LBA Speedruns
Old 2016-05-31, 20:08
FreemanQC

Quote:
I asked Doc to confirm this and he unfortunately can't. He did say however that he likely was pushed a bit by the meca which could indicate that it could work. I have seen this as well, Twinsen being pushed a short distance. As of this time I am not certain of one way or another so I'm personally leaning towards the meca jump turning out not being possible.
I'm mistaken, but I really though it happen haha!

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Old 2016-05-31, 20:23
Zebrazilla

Quote:
I'm mistaken, but I really though it happen haha!
Understandable mistake, happens to us all! Still wish it would be possible to meca-jump, I have yet to find a way past both the blue & red gates so have to do it the conventional way as it stands.

LBA Speedruns
Old 2016-06-01, 20:48
Zebrazilla

Here I am with another strat that works on both Android & Enhanced PC Steam version. Essentially due to the increased jumping distance possible in these versions we can now get on and off White Leaf Desert island much quicker than before:

LBA Speedruns
Old 2016-06-01, 22:13
FreemanQC

Quote:
Quote:
Here I am with another strat that works on both Android & Enhanced PC Steam version. Essentially due to the increased jumping distance possible in these versions we can now get on and off White Leaf Desert island much quicker than before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0hGngx8RhA
Do you know what I'm thinking about? Bulldozer skip...

Old 2016-06-01, 23:17
Amnesti

Quote:
Do you know what I'm thinking about? Bulldozer skip...
You should probably read on our discord, since we discussed abit about it. I have my own theory, but as always all my strats turn into tas in the end run..
last place LBA ANY% 52:59
https://www.twitch.tv/amnesti

Citadel Island in Unity
https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17983
Old 2016-06-01, 23:26
Amnesti

You can get to the rock with the loading zone, because of the added jump length. So already there you have an improvement from the original version. One problem still remains, since you need to jump from the slanted rock surface and enter the loading zone above, but we all know that jumping from a slanted surface makes you not gain height. So basically, i experimented a bit, and turns out you can jump from the right side of the map straight to the loading zone, yes twinsen actually jumps that far!

But we can't get to the right side, not with a protopack either. So i thought of another theory, and it comes from a trick already well known discovered by Zebra if im not mistaken. Jumping to the side of the meca will make you gain distance, even from a slanted surface. So let's say we had a stationary meca on that rock beneath the loading zone, that would most likely work, but the meca would either not be able to be placed at all, or just walk into the water.

Turns out, you can now jump and place the meca in the air without falling yourself like you would in the original version. So here is my theory, what if we placed a meca on the earlier rocks, since that place has 2 rocks and more place for room, land with the meca, turn around and jump through the side of the meca and managed to land on solid ground, enough for us to jump to the right side? We would actually be able to place the meca, but also it would have more room to roam about, and more importantly enough time for us to land and position ourselves.

This is all theory, and it is too hard currently for what i would consider human speedrunning. I tried to make it more simple to understand through this high quality image i made myself through paint : https://gyazo.com/bed01265ac772fa49c79626459a77a6d
Just so you can get the general idea of it.

tl;dr it may be possible with the slope jump trick, but not actually viable as a speedrunning trick because of the inconsistency and difficulty.

Citadel Island in Unity

Last edited by MevX; 2016-06-01 at 23:32.
Old 2016-06-02, 22:54
FreemanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MevX View Post
You can get to the rock with the loading zone, because of the added jump length. So already there you have an improvement from the original version. One problem still remains, since you need to jump from the slanted rock surface and enter the loading zone above, but we all know that jumping from a slanted surface makes you not gain height. So basically, i experimented a bit, and turns out you can jump from the right side of the map straight to the loading zone, yes twinsen actually jumps that far!

But we can't get to the right side, not with a protopack either. So i thought of another theory, and it comes from a trick already well known discovered by Zebra if im not mistaken. Jumping to the side of the meca will make you gain distance, even from a slanted surface. So let's say we had a stationary meca on that rock beneath the loading zone, that would most likely work, but the meca would either not be able to be placed at all, or just walk into the water.

Turns out, you can now jump and place the meca in the air without falling yourself like you would in the original version. So here is my theory, what if we placed a meca on the earlier rocks, since that place has 2 rocks and more place for room, land with the meca, turn around and jump through the side of the meca and managed to land on solid ground, enough for us to jump to the right side? We would actually be able to place the meca, but also it would have more room to roam about, and more importantly enough time for us to land and position ourselves.

This is all theory, and it is too hard currently for what i would consider human speedrunning. I tried to make it more simple to understand through this high quality image i made myself through paint : https://gyazo.com/bed01265ac772fa49c79626459a77a6d
Just so you can get the general idea of it.

tl;dr it may be possible with the slope jump trick, but not actually viable as a speedrunning trick because of the inconsistency and difficulty.
This makes a lot of sense. I understand it could be hard in a speedrun but we should try to do it just to say yes we've got the dozer skip

Old 2016-06-02, 23:36
Amnesti

Quote:
This makes a lot of sense. I understand it could be hard in a speedrun but we should try to do it just to say yes we've got the dozer skip
I completely agree, it's too bad enchanced version doesn't have keyboard controls

Citadel Island in Unity
Old 2016-06-03, 17:36
Polly parrot

I never actually got to witness the birth of a speedrun route, and I'm just dropping-by to say that this is really amazing

Also, Homeless/Zebrazilla : Are you a wizard ?!
Old 2016-06-05, 01:45
Zebrazilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I never actually got to witness the birth of a speedrun route, and I'm just dropping-by to say that this is really amazing

Also, Homeless/Zebrazilla : Are you a wizard ?!
Glad to hear that you're having a good time! Speedrunning can be really fantastic to all involved!

Haha, maybe you could call me one of many LBA wizards, or maybe sorcerers; We're prodding and poking at that which comprise the source of LBA, attempting fantastical things most of which give no workable result at all, many unforeseen and unintended consequences. Eventually we'll arrive at some pretty wild and magical stuff. We may not understand what's really going on at the source, but we're weaving around the source

Alright, wittiness/far-fetched humor aside, it's a lot of fun messing around and trying to find stuff, you get into this mind-set where you're viewing the game from an entirely different angle than before. This in-turn makes the game live anew in your mind, it's a fresh experience and a ton of fun!

LBA Speedruns
Old 2016-06-05, 01:46
Zebrazilla

Meca-Jump in Android and Enhanced PC confirmed!

MevX was able to confirm that the meca-jump is still possible in Enhanced PC version, huge thanks to you for showing that this is actually possible!

Turns out my personal opinion of this probably not being possible was wrong and I'm very glad of having been wrong! I can now also confirm that this works also in the Android version:

Turns out you were right Freeman The meca-jump is defnitely harder in Android and Enhanced PC version, however the fact that mecas are not used up in saves (if not saved over after using meca) mean that this is much more forgivable than in the original run. Coupled with the save-glitch there is a whole lot to go for with this run now.

Earlier today I found that the teleportation center gate is absolutely necessary for the run on Android and Enhanced PC, due to a the way chapters are incremented and checked against. In short, had we not found a way to get into the teleportation center without the fake ID, this would have set off a whole chain of events making the run lose a lot of ground. This is due to the fact that:
  1. To get the fake ID we must make the architect spawn near Twinsen's house
  2. The architect only spawns when we are on chapter 14
  3. We will only get to chapter 14 if we take the sword at Principal Fortress provided that we already are at chapter 9 or above
  4. In the original speedrun we never increase the chapter above 6 due to strats/skips, which is the chapter where we get Book of Bu
  5. To reach chapter 9 we need to get the key from the Museum
  6. This would effectively mean that we can't skip the Museum
As can be seen above, it is absolutely a deal-maker that we can now skip the teleportation center gate. To think that just one skip would make or break a run is very interesting in and of itself.

Of interest to some may be the fact that the chapters 10, 11 and 12 are essentially non-existing in the game. The following is the list of chapters that I have been able to deduce:
Chapter 00 - Imprisoned
Chapter 01 - Escaped from Citadel
Chapter 02 - Zoe Captured
Chapter 03 - Tunic & Magicball
Chapter 04 - Leaving Citadel Island for the first time
Chapter 05 - Friends with the Astronomer
Chapter 06 - Get the Book of Bu
Chapter 07 - Knowing of Museum Artifact
Chapter 08 - Knowing something at the Museum? (related to getting the key)
Chapter 09 - Retrieved ancestral key
Chapter 10 -
Chapter 11 -
Chapter 12 -
Chapter 13 - Knowing about having to destroy teleporters
Chapter 14 - Teleportation Plans (FunFrock Fortress @ Principal)
Chapter 15 - Gotten fake ID
I have at least one pretty large strat in the beginning of the game that I'm still working out the details of, after which I will focus more on the latter part of the game - the part where we have been able to skip the least amount of time. MevX found the following which may be interesting somewhere as well, a very interesting glitch!

Here's to hoping that we can find some way to finally skip the dozer @ Polar Island

LBA Speedruns
Old 2016-06-06, 02:09
FreemanQC

Woaw! This is awesome. Maybe Doc don't remember but I remember when he got a meca skip on Twitch. He then said yes it's possible but too much unreliable. I remember it! It can't be false!! How come he don't remember haha!

Old 2016-06-06, 15:37
Zebrazilla

Quote:
Woaw! This is awesome. Maybe Doc don't remember but I remember when he got a meca skip on Twitch. He then said yes it's possible but too much unreliable. I remember it! It can't be false!! How come he don't remember haha!
You may be right about what you remember, though it's hard to say for sure - memory is a tricky thing! Nonetheless it's fantastic that it's possible in Enhanced version still I feel that it is very consistent now also, as long as one gets used to the controls it's quite easy to pull off. I prefer the virtual pad in the Android version as it gives far more precise controls than the simple touch controls/mouse. On PC one can use a gamepad also, such as an Xbox controller.

LBA Speedruns
Old 2016-06-06, 15:41
Zebrazilla

Here's another strat I found the other day. It's a save glitch which works on both Android & Enhanced PC and allows a rather fast warp to the buggy after having destroyed the mutant eggs. Unfortunately it is not very likely that this can be used in a run on either versions as there is currently no way of going back through the Hamalayi afterwards, as the door is closed to the buggy still at the Mutant Factory. This coupled with the fact that we can't death warp ruins the strat. It's rather neat though. Should be fast enough though to do it the intended way with opening the door and running past the mutant.

LBA Speedruns
Old 2016-06-07, 12:56
Zebrazilla

Decided to put most of these strats to the test and ended up with a run of 1 hour 4 minutes and 35 seconds More details here: https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?p=453682

Many mistakes in this run and it can be optimized, however this ties together all known strats at this point and adds a few more that I have not yet shown in this thread. Such as getting FunFrock's Sword during the first visit to Principal Island. Link to the time code of this strat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SocW8RtKtC8&t=08m07s

Along with a strat for skipping the last prison sequence on Fortress Island, using a meca-jump and some strange lobbing of the magicball to one-hit Zoe and get a key, link to the time code of this strat also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SocW8RtKtC8&t=58m02s

There are more things that I have not listed, but most are small things.

LBA Speedruns
Old 2016-06-10, 21:20
FreemanQC

Ok just found that it's not Android only but the game also works on ios too. Just installed it on my iphone but the save glitch seem to not work...

EDIT: I was loading the wrong save... Well it works on ios version also but it loads at different places so every strats aren't working. I find more and more that this should be patch in a way the 3 enhanced versions works the same way or we could remove that speedrun category. It makes no sense that every platform are behaving differently. Just my opinion :P

Last edited by gravel22; 2016-06-10 at 21:43.
Old 2016-07-08, 18:14
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Hi everyone! I'm new here and introduced myself here.

I am trying to do a 'tunic-less' (skill-less is maybe a better name) run of LBA and upload interesting finds on my Youtube channel. I uploaded several videos today:

(apparently this wasn't really new).
(note that without the tunic you can't really kill anyone).

Perhaps there are more ways to exploit the invincibility frames to get through events in this game? I can't really think of anything right now.

It is not possible to complete the game in his nurse suit. Whenever Twinsen uses a vehicle he suddenly wears his tunic. Though, his skills remain the same; he does not have a Magic Ball, there is no magic meter nor can he beat anyone up (oh Twinsen, you're so weak). I'm also exploiting the save glitch which I just heard about today.
Old 2016-07-09, 02:07
FreemanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratebunnii View Post
It's a glitch but I don't think it's useful as you have to leave the screen and by getting back there the npc's will reappear. If you want to cross the border you've got the old Zebra Skip and the new Zebra Skip by only jumping onto roofs. You can find the newer and faster way of doing it in this thread. Note that it only works in the Android version where jumping length is increased. If you want to see the original zebra skip, just check at 6:30 on the WR video in my signature.

Nice to have you in the glitch digging family

Old 2016-07-09, 23:06

The NPC's reappearing doesn't matter, the rabbibunnies will trust you after killing one clone. But this was kind of difficult to pull off since you need to time everything. I tried to do the invulnerability exploit to escape the asylum with the yellow/green outfit on, but it is not possible (you run too slow). I didn't know about the zebra skip. This is way better, haha. Thanks!
Old 2016-07-10, 00:57
FreemanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratebunnii View Post
The NPC's reappearing doesn't matter, the rabbibunnies will trust you after killing one clone. But this was kind of difficult to pull off since you need to time everything. I tried to do the invulnerability exploit to escape the asylum with the yellow/green outfit on, but it is not possible (you run too slow). I didn't know about the zebra skip. This is way better, haha. Thanks!
Ah ok! Didn't understood it was to be trusted. I though you knew a bit about the glitches. I suggest you watch the WR run I made it'll help you save time and make the run.

Old 2016-07-11, 11:31

No, I'm new to this so I have a lot to learn. I must say I'm not interested doing a speedrun (yet...?), I just like glitches and bugs in itself. I like watching runs though, I will check yours out.