Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic > Member Announcements
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Member Announcements Announcements like "I'm leaving", "I'm new", "Happy Birthday", etc. goes in here.

Old 2018-10-18, 07:27
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Digital Archaeology: studying the source code of old game engines

Hi there!

My name is Felipe Correa da Silva Sanches and my most commonly used nickname is "Juca". I am a 34 years old Brazilian computer programmer and software freedom activist. I've been first invited by Alexandre Fontoura (xesf) to join the Magic Ball Network forums back in 2010 or so. Apparently I did not do so back then... :-P

I have contributed (just a tiny bit) to the development of the Twin-e project on GoogleCode (nowadays on GitHub). That's how I first met AlexFont online.

I have a strong interest in old computers and games, but most of my interest is in the technical aspects of the games, rather than actually playing them. I have just a small number of games that I really loved playing, and it obviously includes LBA2. (I never played LBA1 completely though - yet?) The other few titles that shaped my childhood gaming experiences are:

* Pinball Fantasies
* Another World / Out of This World
* Lemmings
* Stunts
* Prince of Persia

But as I was telling you, what I really love doing on my freetime nowadays is studying the inner working of those magical pieces of technology from the past. For that reason I have been contributing to MAME (the all-famous arcade and retro-computer emulation project) for some time.

I have developed experimental coding projects related to most of the games mentioned above, some of which I already talked about at https://forum.fiozera.com.br/ (most of the content there is published in Brazilian Portuguese, though).

Last week I got back to hacking on the Twin-e codebase for fun and I ended up noticing that another person was also becoming interested in the project in the same week. I am happy to see that Solarix is also joining the MBN forums with similar interests. (I wish I could mention users by nickname - such as doing @solarix - here and have them receive email notifications) I hope we can have more fun exploring these things together.

Happy Hacking,
Felipe "Juca" Sanches

Last edited by FSanches; 2018-10-18 at 07:54.
Old 2018-10-18, 07:55

I also have a youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/c/HappyHackingVideoBlog
Old 2018-10-19, 00:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSanches View Post
...(I wish I could mention users by nickname - such as doing @solarix - here and have them receive email notifications)..
Yes, that would be a nice feature (atlassian confluence style). But I'm here anyway .

Yes you're right: I'm just here to hack a little bit. Summer is gone and i need a new project for long and cold nights . I grew up with OS/2, DOS, Warcraft2, C&C, LBA, Quake2, Earthworm Jim, LucasArts and all this stuff. So playing around with old game data is 50% childhood and 50% learning..

So, welcome Felipe/Juca, nice to meet you!

Last edited by solarix; 2018-10-19 at 00:36.
Old 2018-10-19, 00:37

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarix View Post
Yes you're right: I'm just here to hack a little bit. Summer is gone and i need a new project for long and cold nights .
Cool! I will soon write a new thread about one specific coding puzzle that I got on twin-e for scratching my own itch... :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarix View Post
I grew up with OS/2, DOS, Warcraft2, C&C, LBA, Quake2, Earthworm Jim and all this stuff. So playing around with old game data is 50% childhood and 50% learning..
Oh! Yes! Warcraft 1 and 2 were great! Forgot to mention those, but yes, I played those as well.

And on the SEGA Genesis I've been always absolutely in love with Mickey Mouse's Castle of Illusion as well as Galaxy Force II.

By the way, take a look at this:
https://forum.fiozera.com.br/t/repli...-mame-e-rpi/25

Tags
digital archaeology, free software, game engine, github, twin-e