Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Modifications > LBA: The Great Rebellion
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LBA: The Great Rebellion A game, made on the LBA 1 engine, and set between LBA 1 and LBA 2, in middle of the outbreak of a mass rebellion, and Twinsen has to end the rebellion. (homepage)

Old 2007-11-16, 15:27
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Exclamation Public release of material...

In this thread, I am going to post later on tonight the screenshots of some of our best grids, as well, as some of our best concept art. And this is only the beginning. Soon, I am going to try to convince Jesse to interview some of our Team members, and post the interviews here, so stay tuned.
Old 2007-11-16, 15:57
Neko

oh yeah sorry for the delay..it's been a **** week. And the screenie is on my laptop.
Old 2007-11-20, 12:42
Neko

new goodie!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	port_ludo_new8.JPG‎
Views:	834
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	7177  
Old 2007-11-20, 15:30
Magic Ball Master

Love those grate/things layout you guys used on the door openings!
Old 2007-11-20, 16:55
(formerly) lots of numbers

Send a message via MSN to LukeNoNumbers
Very well done indeed; I like the way you've merged LBA1 and LBA2 in some of the design. I cant wait to see more!
Old 2007-11-20, 17:34
Magic Ball Master

Is it only me or is the image a bit stretched?
Old 2007-11-20, 19:08
Neko

should be 'unstretched' really. I made it smaller to fit.
Old 2007-12-17, 19:00
Do the evolution.

Um, I don't like it very much . The buildings in the front obstruct the view too much, you should have elevated the back and add stairs. Also that telescope is pointless there, it's a desert, with sand, and winds from the sea, the telescope needs to be in a building couse a single grain of sand would destroy the lens - pointless.

The sidewalks around the buildings should have some sort of an outline, couse they look awkward.

The doorways look like they where placed on a already done building, couse you can see bricks behind the arches where there should be none.

TWO guardhouses? It's rather pointles, one should be enough, but in fact both of them obstruct the view too much.

Lamp-posts around the corners like that are strange, too much light would get wasted, better find some lamps to hang them on the wall.

That whole "camp on a roof" section is seriously wrong...

Also those four "hatches" don't suit that small building very much.

Anyway, what DJ said, integrating tiles from both games is a great idea tough, did it take much work to do it?

Last edited by Jasiek; 2007-12-17 at 19:15.
Old 2007-12-17, 19:31
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
Um, I don't like it very much .
We're always open for criticism.

Quote:
The buildings in the front obstruct the view too much, you should have elevated the back and add stairs.
That's partly correct, considering that the city is currently totally flat, which is a bit unrealistic. It won't hurt adding at least some height to it for better visibilty. It's just a matter of work to move the buildings upwards.

Quote:
Also that telescope is pointless there, it's a desert, with sand, and winds from the sea, the telescope needs to be in a building couse a single grain of sand would destroy the lens - pointless.
I guess we'll find a solution for that.

Quote:
The sidewalks around the buildings should have some sort of an outline, couse they look awkward.
This is a major problem, because adding a line of bricks around the buildings would make the street smaller and have problems with interfering with other objects, like the sewer grate. If this is not possible, I'd apply for a new tile for the house basement. The problem is, we currently don't have an active person on the team responsible for the creation of new bricks.

Quote:
The doorways look like they where placed on a already done building, couse you can see bricks behind the arches where there should be none.
What do you mean exactly?

Quote:
TWO guardhouses? It's rather pointles, one should be enough, but in fact both of them obstruct the view too much. Lamp-posts around the corners like that are strange, too much light would get wasted, better find some lamps to hang them on the wall.
This is something I have already talked about with OBrasilo, we previously had a lamp completely behind a building where there's no street, I'd say we need a little more cleanup on that.

Quote:
That whole "camp on a roof" section is seriously wrong...

Also those four "hatches" don't suit that small building very much.
We'll have to elaborate on them a little more.

Quote:
Anyway, what DJ said, integrating tiles from both games is a great idea tough, did it take much work to do it?
Okay, that's a question for OBrasilo, though I don't think it was particularily easy.

To cut it short, we hope to continue on working on our grids during the christmas holidays, you know the story, there's not much time around...
Old 2007-12-17, 22:33
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
LBA Image Creator makes it very easy to convert bricks to work from one palette to another (to be shown correct when you put an image from one game to the other game), a tip if you are gonna do it again (it does it easy for sprites/spriraw/lims too). It also got dithering, to maintain better quality than normal conversion (most of the times )

I'm not sure how is the technically easiest way to implement the images to the game/LBArchitect

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2007-12-17, 22:53
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- Jasiek: Based on the useful-ness of your advice, we have decided, that you are now part of our Team, as our Main Grids Advisor. Enjoy your new position, and check your PM's.

- LBAWinOwns: Actually, the problem is inethe .BLL (Brick Layout Library) format, since the LBA 2 sound, and floor, types, are different from the LBA 1 ones. I used a special converter I wrote, for the conversion.
Old 2007-12-17, 23:16
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBrasilo View Post
- Jasiek: Based on the useful-ness of your advice, we have decided, that you are now part of our Team, as our Main Grids Advisor. Enjoy your new position, and check your PM's.
Lol, I think I know why you've got so many team members.

Quote:
- LBAWinOwns: Actually, the problem is inethe .BLL (Brick Layout Library) format, since the LBA 2 sound, and floor, types, are different from the LBA 1 ones. I used a special converter I wrote, for the conversion.
ah right, the whole 'telescope' is a unit linking together bricks, the linking information is in the .BLL files, while the bricks are in one of the HQR files, right?

Still, what does the format of sound and floor has to do with it?

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2007-12-21, 22:21
Neko

Quote:

lol what the?
you cannot employ people single-sided! :P

btw; man Jasiek is so right...i didn't take a closer look appearently. The doorways do look awkward and the camp on top of a roof is funny !
Old 2008-03-13, 22:38
Welcome to Zirla!

Alright, if you thought, that the LBA: The Great Rebellion would have no unique style of its own, then you were wrong. The following screen-shots represents just the tip of the iceberg of what we're preparing for you:

This is part of a city, located on Brundle Island. So, what do you think?
Old 2008-03-13, 23:59
Previously Link

Looks good so far !! I can't wait for all those mods to come !
Old 2008-03-14, 00:01
Panadol It's My Choice

Send a message via MSN to panadol
Very nice guys, keep it up
Old 2008-05-17, 18:23

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
The first building: heed Jasiek's advice. Also, I'd like to add that the arrangement of buildings makes everything feel clausterphobic.

I think there's overall too much repetition in texture and design. Try to add sidewalks in between buildings to break up the monotony of the floor.

On the second image, good design with bridges and underpasses. The building textures and ground textures are ugly and repetitive. Overall, these levels appear as if they were carelessly slapped together. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but if I was a player who chanced upon this game, with no knowledge of LBA, that's exactly the sort of thing I'd say. People that know LBA might not say it, but they'll still think it.

Good luck on improvements and such.
Old 2008-05-17, 20:03
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Yeah, the biggest problem is some of the textures are coming accross as too repedative.
The floor tiles especialy.
Maybe using a "high pass" filter?;
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20.../hajba_pfv.htm

I find this very helpfull one making textures look good.

Also, just a random idea; Is it possible to have the water under the bridge darker?

Still, very good work. And its more important to get areas done then perfect imo.
Old 2008-05-17, 20:31
Previously Link

I don't see how they could use a "high pass" filter on the LBA engine... Or maybe are you talking about generating several close tiles with the filter ?
Old 2008-05-17, 20:39

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
He's talking about using a filter in photoshop.
Old 2008-05-17, 22:17
Previously Link

Oh, sorry, didn't take the time to read the article, I thought it was something else. That's interesting reading.
Old 2008-05-19, 23:06
Magic Ball Master

After considering all the points on the first grid, we present version 0.2 of it.

Any more comments on it are appreciated.
Old 2008-05-19, 23:28
Previously Link

Oh, cool !! I like this one better actually !
Old 2008-05-19, 23:41
Zebrazilla

Much better, indeed. Much better. This is starting to look like an actual Twinsunian location.

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2008-05-20, 00:18
Magic Ball Master

I think it's a more aggressive and scary design, which might be considered un-LBAish. Especially if it's a scene early on in the game (which in LBA was a time of mostly fun exploring).

Maybe keep the trees and park-like architecture?

(image by leoboe! )