Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > Administration > Graveyard > LbaX

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LbaX LbaX is an unofficial non profit sequel of Little Big Adventure 1 and 2 (homepage)

Old 2003-10-31, 09:33
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Beta Release 2 Review

Ok, from load to close:

Title/loading logo ~ Neat, LBAish. I still see two faint white squares while loading that move with the mouse ? glitch?
Is the logo supposed to be animated in some way, if not it should be.
Nothing special, just fade it in an out or something.
Tells the user it hasnt frozen, you see

Menus ~ Excelent style, love the fading/addative effect on them

Menu Backround ~ More colours! Gezz..looks awfull blury

Menu selection ~ The delay when moving between menus is too long (ie, just when i hit down arrow it seems to take a little too long before the next menu is highlighted)

Menu "Options" ~ Sound mess's up on this one, as soon as its selected.
----
Game

Landscape ~ Well modeled, close enough to LBA1/2 to be clearly citadale island, yet has differences like you would expect.
(as LBA2 did compared too 1).

The Roads ~ They are raised of the ground slightly, which is fine, but Twinsens legs clearly pass though them.
I dont know if this happens when collision detection is on..either way it shouldnt

Camera ~ Restrict movement, moving 360*360 is just odd...we shouldnt be able to see under twinsen.
Having freedom of camera movement like this also allows us to see errors and glitchs in the landscape too close.

Lensflare? ~ When the camera is at a certain angle, their is a glow. There is also a bit of a lensflare, but incompleted.
To give the effect of a sun, add more "rings", and add a source.
(ie, the sun itselfp)

Landscape Texture ~ Well done, seamless, but will need to be much high res.

Landscape errors ~ Found a few, theres a "rip" in the landscape, and a tree floting quite far from the cliff its supposed to be on.

Twinsen ~ well animated, the modes work ok. Needs to move a little quicker. Is this easy to change or is it a proformance problem.
If its a proformance problem, maybe a "old style" mode should be added to the menus.
This should be easy to code, it just stops the camera from following twinsen automaticaly
For people with lower-spec systems this should greatly imcrease the games proformance.

Musc ~ Direct rip from LBA2 no? Might want to replace and use the MIDI lba music we have. At least during the development phase this will make the filesize much smaller, and might even speed up loading.
Would help people on 56kb modems at least.
====

ok, i gota go for a bit now, but ill then comment on Vechiles, possible errors and other things
Old 2003-10-31, 14:49
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Thanks.
Really what I wanted to know what needs improvements.
When you'll post next time, I also want to know what you think about Zoe.. isn't a little better isn't she?
And maybe hints on how to control dinofly, the mouse click system isn't exactly what I wanted, but I don't want to move with the mouse, I prefer yuo use it to move the camera to take wonderflu views of Twninsen flying...

LbaX Official Home page Last update... too long time ago^^
Old 2003-10-31, 15:05
Has Returned...

How were the textures?

I agree with most of the things said here. For improvements, I'd like to be able to play the game at a speed higher than 2FPS, maybe the camera at default (without changing) be like that in LBA2 so you can see the sky a little, Without the big music files, it'd be smaller and easier to download so more people would try it, Plus can behavior be changed, I havent worked out whether that's possible or not yet.
Old 2003-10-31, 15:35

Very nice textures, it seems you spent lot of time on refining them.
Thanks! I think I can use them on LbaX.

Old 2003-10-31, 16:28
Has Returned...

Feel free to use them if you think they are any good. Good luck with LbaX
Old 2003-11-02, 09:43
Wish of eternity...

Send a message via ICQ to Firephoenix
Well promising demo

I'd have lots of things to add to DF's ones (btw if I were you, I'd let the 360° camera for the moment, it helps exploring the full environment and finding bugs), but I could never know if the problems come from my overbugged win98 partition or from the game, so I'll ignore the misc error messages and frozings ingame.

The title appears, the music begins, and then there are problems with the screen, eventually I arrive directly ingame, without menus. Kewly LBAish, however the textures are too flat and low res, I hope you'll find better ones and/or add bumpmapping and stuffs (remember there are some on Bu's temple as well). There are clipping problems on the joints between the different parts of the land and of the road, like if the polygons werent merged. There are even thin and long holes in the hills, but once more I dunno if it's my video card or the engine.

Indeed Twinsen should move quickly, but not when he's stopped walking (he seems to be very nervous then). He somtimes goes into the ground
I cant enter houses, use vehicles or see Zoe it seems. There are also several objets floating in the air here and there.

From ingame, I can access debug menus (but i dont manage to removve then them.....) and the main menu, indeed that ones bugs with the "options".

Will continue to play later, my computer has already badly crashed 4 times when trying the demo, I've never thought my motherboard phone could do so many alarms
Good luck to fix the bugs.

------------

Take a time to visit the Relentless Movie Project page.
Old 2003-11-02, 14:09
Has Returned...

Quote:
The title appears, the music begins, and then there are problems with the screen, eventually I arrive directly ingame, without menus. Kewly LBAish, however the textures are too flat and low res, I hope you'll find better ones and/or add bumpmapping and stuffs (remember there are some on Bu's temple as well). There are clipping problems on the joints between the different parts of the land and of the road, like if the polygons werent merged. There are even thin and long holes in the hills, but once more I dunno if it's my video card or the engine.
I noticed this too, there seem to be big blue (for me) lines going across all over the place, which spoils it a bit.
Old 2003-11-03, 20:55
Biz

very cewl demo (it works now with the patch)

couple of quick remarques are:
con's:
*you really need to optimize it, cuz i don't like playing with twinsen at 10 frames per second
*you shouldn't use 4 1024*1024 ground textures, you can never have a detailed beautiful look plus a high performance with this methode, define every terrain texture per vertex...
*the terrain is buggy, sometimes there's a space between different quads of the terrain, you might consider using triangle strips in stead of quads, it's quicker plus you don't get that bug

pro's:
WOW twinsen in an actual game
atmosphere is really good
very impressive for alpha demo
keep up the good work
Old 2003-11-09, 08:13
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Heh I get a rather weird Error when i play. EVERYTHINGS upsidown.
Yeah im running an
AMD Athalon 2600 XP, with 512 DDR ram, and a radeon 9500 Pro, I am running windows Xp with Service pack 1. It makes it quite difficult to play.
Old 2003-11-10, 19:05
Magic Ball Master

Mad Aeon - Will you ever use Anti-Alaising in your games to make it look superb?
Old 2003-11-10, 19:40
Magic Ball Master

I have noticed that the ground textures give white flocks!
Old 2003-11-12, 04:10
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Whenever I use the scrollbar to try and change the camera zoom, it gives me an error saying 'Floating point division by zero.' After I hit okay, it works just fine for a while.
Dividing floats by 0 is baaad. Then again, so is dividing any number type by 0.
Old 2003-11-12, 05:24
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
~sigh~
when will computers understand infinity. Its such a simply concept
Old 2003-11-12, 17:10

I can make another contest:
"the craziest bug that can be found on my demo"
This mousewheel routine.. hs NO division by any number at all!
just an hardware function call that should work always...

Anyway in a few days the next release will fix something

Old 2003-11-12, 20:51
Biz

hope you received arctic nightfalls mail about the composer job?
Old 2003-11-12, 21:35
Radical Dreamer

Did you get mine concerning the sound? ...or is that something that's already been spoken of...
Old 2003-11-14, 15:35

Exclamation PLEASE READ CAREFULLY THIS POST

Please don't create new threads just to report one single bug.

Old 2003-11-15, 14:20
The Snipa Masta

Send a message via AIM to Sniper Master Send a message via MSN to Sniper Master
i had a few things i didnt like/hated about this beta.
My review (im evil,get used to it )

menu - The menu is good, but i think you should stay true to the orginal menus.

road-Sticking up through the ground, maybe you should put the road on the landscape texture, that would also solve where the 2 parts overlap (seen on the corners)

terrain-i can see you used 4 heightmaps and 4 textures. each 1024x768. Thats ok, but the problem is the exact height on the edges of your heightmap arnt the saeme on the continuing heightmap. This causes the rips in the landscape.

tansport-apart from having all transport flipped 90 degrees and sticking out the ground, it is hard to get into one of the damn things!

collision-there seems to be no object collision. you can run straight through buildings...that is wrong

camera-if you want my personal pinion, dont rotate it. keep it a fixed camera angle, or at least restrict it to left/right movement.

island design - what has happened to citadel island? the mountains are now 3 times smaller, your house has now been budged over into where your neighbors hosue was, and your neighbors house had been shoved on dinoflys cliff! The whole city has been re-arragnged, the dock is now grassland, and the whole island just looks different!

coparative-comparing it to the orginal LBAs i would jsut say its another game with the same characters. i mean, the movement is to slow,animations are a bit messed (for example, moonwalking twinsen), and most of all, the gameplay is gone! who stole that original LBA feel?

anyway, dont take offence with this, im just trying to point you in the right direction. this gane can be great, as long as you stay true to the LBA feel!
Old 2003-11-18, 16:11

opinions are always welcome.
Anyaway let me say a few things
-I told that collisions were not implemented (for the moment) even before releasing the demo.
-If you look at lba1 and 2, you can probably say the same thing about the island design. Everything was changed. Moreover, this map is actually just showing, let's say, it's like a technology-demo for testing purposes, story and map design is not definitive.

Old 2003-11-22, 12:08
The Snipa Masta

Send a message via AIM to Sniper Master Send a message via MSN to Sniper Master
Quote:
-I told that collisions were not implemented (for the moment) even before releasing the demo.
Oh..ops...sorry

about he design...in lba2 i thouhgt it changed a lot because they started to rebuild everything. Nothing happened to citadel in 2 (that actually changed the landscape, E.g the citadel in 1), so in the final game i think it would be good to keep the original structure, and then add some buildings, or take some.

And BTW sorry if i apperared a bit harsh, i ddi that puprposly because i really hate it when people say (for example to some of my "worse" 3d attempts) that it looks amazing when they dont think it realy is.

BTW did you get my e-mail?
Old 2003-12-01, 22:26

Exclamation Back again

What the hell happened to my account?
I changed email on user config, received the confirmation mail but didn't work until now, so I wasn't able to post.
The thread "LbaX beta demo release 2" was closed.
People offered help with musics and then
1) said "sorry I can't now I've something else to do"
OR
2) never reply to my last mails (did my emails ever arrive?)
What the HELL is happening?

Old 2003-12-01, 23:25
Classic

I havnt a clue, but the email shouldnt effect your username or password one little bit.

I reopened the other thread too.