Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2005-06-26, 00:17
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
For the most part, the difference certainly isnt their fault.
It seems to be a combination of factors. Like you said, odd laws might effect it, or retail ect.
No, I am not blameing Sony, Nintendo or anyone for things costing more in europe.
Not in general, at least.

Of course it should cost more the the DS.
But surely the price ratio of the PSP vs DS should be the same in any region?

PSP ~ 19,800 yen UK Price: £180
DS ~ 15,000 yen UK Price: £100

Jap price difference: 4800 yen more (£23 more)
English price different: £80 more (15,900 Yen more)

See? Something odd is going on here.

Maybe Sony expects the British public to pay more, or maybe there is some weird tax or such that applys to the PSP but not the DS.

Either way, its very suspecious they are putting every effort that can to stop people importing while at the same time releaseing it at the most expensive price

If the price difference is not their fault, then surely they lose nothing from letting people import ?
(eg, if they take the same % profit from each region's units, importing would just displace demand a bit, not change their pocket money)
Old 2005-06-26, 01:41
Magic Ball Master

/me hugs my Sony products.

I thought the e-card reader or whatever was released to adapt to the GBA? Can't you swipe that and play old games? I had the name wrong, but same idea.

I do have a clear argument - Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are all in this business to make money. And you have this arbitrary standard with which you measure them...how they "[sic] chose to make that money," despite the fact that they all use relatively the same tactics in order to accomplish these goals. You're telling me that Sony's forced Nintendo to come out with the DS, which is hogwash. Nintendo didn't have to do anything. Sony's not forcing any of the other companies to do any of this sort, they didn't make Nintendo release 3 different portable consoles within a relatively short period of time, and they certainly didn't force Nintendo to re-release their old games for ridiculous profits. I think that's dishonest, to re-release these games and charge full price for them. Apparently though, there are people willing to buy them again...I bought the games the first time around, and if I want to emulate, I'm going to. If Sony did that - re-release their library of games (ignoring the fact that many are 3rd party) from the original PSX onto new DVD's for PS2, I have no doubts it would be decried as another greedy move by greedy Sony. Oh well.
Old 2005-06-26, 12:22
Little Bastard Warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J
/me hugs my Sony products.

I thought the e-card reader or whatever was released to adapt to the GBA? Can't you swipe that and play old games? I had the name wrong, but same idea.

I do have a clear argument - Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are all in this business to make money. And you have this arbitrary standard with which you measure them...how they "[sic] chose to make that money," despite the fact that they all use relatively the same tactics in order to accomplish these goals. You're telling me that Sony's forced Nintendo to come out with the DS, which is hogwash. Nintendo didn't have to do anything. Sony's not forcing any of the other companies to do any of this sort, they didn't make Nintendo release 3 different portable consoles within a relatively short period of time, and they certainly didn't force Nintendo to re-release their old games for ridiculous profits. I think that's dishonest, to re-release these games and charge full price for them. Apparently though, there are people willing to buy them again...I bought the games the first time around, and if I want to emulate, I'm going to. If Sony did that - re-release their library of games (ignoring the fact that many are 3rd party) from the original PSX onto new DVD's for PS2, I have no doubts it would be decried as another greedy move by greedy Sony. Oh well.
Of course Nintendo HAD to release the DS, for the exact reason I just said. Of course Sony forced them to do it, there's no hogwash about that. What'cha think would've happened to Nintendo if they hadn't released it?
Old 2005-06-26, 14:44
Magic Ball Master

I'm sure Sony held a gun to Nintendo's head and made them release it. Granted, they released it to keep market share, but Nintendo didn't have to release it, that's my point. It's cause/effect, you're making it sound like Sony is the boss telling Nintendo what to do.
Old 2005-06-26, 17:41
Little Bastard Warrior.

Quote:
I'm sure Sony held a gun to Nintendo's head and made them release it. Granted, they released it to keep market share, but Nintendo didn't have to release it, that's my point. It's cause/effect, you're making it sound like Sony is the boss telling Nintendo what to do.
Listen to what I'm saying:

Sony makes PSP. They have a huge impact on every market they enter.

The handheld market is where Nintendo is getting most money.

If Sony took over the majority of the handheld market like they did to the stationary market, and Nintendo did nothing, Nintendo would lose their biggest source of income, and that would cripple Nintendo quite a lot.

Your right in the litteral way, that Sony didn't force Nintendo to release the DS, that would just be stupid, but the announcment of the PSP, was something that forced Nintendo to make another system that there, before that, was no need for.
Old 2005-06-26, 23:25
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberg-Ares
Listen to what I'm saying:

Sony makes PSP. They have a huge impact on every market they enter.

The handheld market is where Nintendo is getting most money.

If Sony took over the majority of the handheld market like they did to the stationary market, and Nintendo did nothing, Nintendo would lose their biggest source of income, and that would cripple Nintendo quite a lot.

Your right in the litteral way, that Sony didn't force Nintendo to release the DS, that would just be stupid, but the announcment of the PSP, was something that forced Nintendo to make another system that there, before that, was no need for.
Right. And as I've said, all of these companies are in it to make money, so it makes sense that Sony would enter the handheld market. Nintendo did a good job with the DS, I'm not anti-DS, I just didn't like what they did in releasing them in such a short time span. I think the dual-screen idea is cool, though from what I've played in the stores, the whole unit seems awful small. By that same token, I don't like the PSP's video functionality - why would I buy a movie that I could only play on my PSP? That seems like an odd move, when I could buy it on DVD and have it on a large TV instead of the small PSP screen.
Old 2005-06-27, 00:09
Little Bastard Warrior.

Quote:
Right. And as I've said, all of these companies are in it to make money, so it makes sense that Sony would enter the handheld market.
Uhm, yeah, is that an argument or simply a statement?

Oh, yeah, this comes up everytime somebody says Nintendo does something special, but: Doesn't anybody out there think that there are actually someone in the videogame business who is in it for the joy of making games? I mean, sure, all those people in the advertising and management departsments are probably in the business for the cash, but think about it, those aren't in those areas, but are making the games, and have important roles; they're probably rich. So they make all the important decisions, but really need the money. Isn't it possible that at least of these people are only in the business for the games? I mean, come on, we all know that people like those who made LBA, aren't rich, so they did it for the joy, but does it really have to be so, that if you are in a big company in this industry and you are succesful, you're only in it for the money?

Quote:
Nintendo did a good job with the DS, I'm not anti-DS, I just didn't like what they did in releasing them in such a short time span. I think the dual-screen idea is cool, though from what I've played in the stores, the whole unit seems awful small. By that same token, I don't like the PSP's video functionality - why would I buy a movie that I could only play on my PSP? That seems like an odd move, when I could buy it on DVD and have it on a large TV instead of the small PSP screen.
Yeah, I never quite understood that either. Why can't you play UMDs on a normal DVD player?

Anyway, I tried a PSP the other day for the time (Ridge Racer). I finally understand why people always mention the screen first. It more because the game they try suck ass, than it's actually THAT impressive. But of course, it is, actually THAT impressive. Anyway, the system felt a little too heavy, but I'll probably get one, if a good game is released (Tales of Eternia looks good, as long as the voice acting isn't as bad as in Tales of Symphonia. And of course, being 2d, they can't get away with stiff characters unlike in ToS) just like I'll likely get The DS once Another and Metrod and Kirby are all released (I tried playing Serious Sam with my Tablet, and if the control is as good as that on the DS, well then DAMN! It's gonna be great)
Old 2005-06-27, 00:11
thegnarlypanda

Send a message via AIM to hobmoblin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
...Or the MegaDrive1 / 2
and the Megadrive 3 but that came with I think 50 built in games.
Old 2005-06-27, 15:38
formerly just angry

Nintendo used to have a horrendous image in the gaming world. Keeping prices high, pissing off retailers and generally bitching about other companies (much in the way Kutargi does now) - however I think that the appointment of Iwata (an outsider for the presidency) has changed Nintendo's fortunes and business ethics for the better. Some interesting stuff from N-Sider:

Quote:
Opposing the traditionally respectful world of Japanese business, Hiroshi Yamauchi is notorious for his harsh business ethics. Instead of hiding behind a polite facade, he regularly lashes out at companies like Sony, Square, and Microsoft. Ever since he took over Nintendo more than fifty years ago, he has played by his own rules and refused to listen to anyone. While his autocratic behaviour has earned him a bad reputation in the gaming media, Yamauchi is nonetheless respected and, more importantly, feared by his competitors.
Old 2005-06-27, 16:39
Little Bastard Warrior.

Well I do remember Yamauchi being extremely mad with Square for releasing FFVII for the PSX
Old 2005-06-27, 16:47
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Yeah hehe, nintendo's squabble with Square must have been one of their most expensive mistakes :P
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2005-06-27, 18:51
inharmonic explorer

I agree with JJ in the previous debate (regarding Sony "forcing" Nintendo to make the DS.)
Old 2005-06-27, 19:37
Little Bastard Warrior.

Come on CS', you really should say why.
Old 2005-06-27, 21:30
Magic Ball Master

Simply because he knows I 0wn.
Old 2005-06-27, 22:59
Little Bastard Warrior.

The power of your l337 0\/\/n4g3 is nothing compared to a solid argument.
Old 2005-06-27, 23:44
inharmonic explorer

Well, JJ already said it. Sony is a buisiness. Nintendo is as well. They are in direct competition, and I think it's a good thing Sony entered to handheld market. Nintendo need the competition, and I would argue they were getting lazy within that market.
Old 2005-06-27, 23:50
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Indeed, competition is a good thing, even when it comes to the cuddly Nintendo you all love so dearly.
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2005-06-27, 23:56
Magic Ball Master

See the above two posts.
Old 2005-06-28, 11:19
formerly just angry

Yes I agree that Son'y release of PSP has forced Nintendo off their asses - we went through a huge 2 year drought on the GBA where nothing decent came out at all!!! Now we have a speight of games coming in Novemeber which is going to make me bankrupt
Old 2005-06-29, 05:31
Magic Ball Master

The next two games I'm going to buy are Madden 2006 and SOCOM: US NAVY SEALs III