Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2009-07-29, 11:20
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Scribblenauts (also, Gamestation are saleing DS's for 40GBP)

Thought this game deserved its own thread, as it looks excellent and might get overlooked.
Trailer;
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/24/sc...assive-damage/

Basicaly you can choose from over 10,000 items to solve puzzles. The items arnt merely sprites either, as each effects stuff in the ways youd expect. (for instance, in the trailer, you can see the medsa head turns stuff to stone)
Items can be mixed/used together as well.

(A shotgun wielding God on a snakeboard vs Cthulhu.....how can this possibly not be the best game ever? :P)

Old 2009-07-29, 12:52
Do the evolution.

I was so amazed at first... then I saw it's on the DS

I want a law that states that all commercial (as in being sold) games and programs should be developed on all major platforms. And, that the EULA is only viable on the platform the game is intended on, and that the producer has no rights whatsoever when someone hacks the game for a different platform andshares it. I know, that would be a major pain for developers, but I don't care.

Game is awesome, is DS emulation nay good these days?
Old 2009-07-29, 14:48
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
depends heavily on the game.
Ranges from perfectly-fine to absolutely dreadfull.

This one might be ok...dosnt look like it needs advanced graphics emulation.
Text could be a pain though...its obviously not designed for keyboard entry, so youd be using a mouse to emulate a stylus to emulate a keyboard :P
But why not just get a second hand DS? If your not worried about getting the latest model (and you really shouldnt), then you can pick them up fairly cheap, and support for the DS is akin to the PS2 last gen....ie, its got just about everything.
--
As for your idea, some games might work, but not in this case.
I think your underestimating the work needed to port a game like this. Just redrawing the 10,000 items for different resolutions alone would be a pain O_o Of course, you can just add black borders. But I dought it would sale well on pc looking like a ds game.
And if people are free to release it on other systems, then how will the developers get any money? Everyone would just grab the free pc version.
Old 2009-07-29, 15:37
Do the evolution.

The lo res is it's charm, anyway they could use different scaling like emulators do. As for the stylus - I have a tablet, so that shouldn't be such a big deal. And buying a console, even a second hand one is too much for me right now - it's not useful for anything else, and I can't afford an indulgence like that at the moment.

Anyway, the idea is just meant to force them to make ports, even lousy ones. As long as they do not have a working copy for that platform they do not have any rights on it - evil, but simple. All we would need actually would be the manufacturer of the product to release their "os bundle" that would contain the console software and translation software that would forward the output to the appropriate software/drivers on the computer. Distribute that with the game and voila.
Old 2009-07-29, 16:29
Classic

I think its far better to just say anyone that buys the game has the right to use it on any platform they can get it to work on.
(ditto for film and tv too thinking about it....if youve paid for something once, you should be able to view it anywhere)

However, I dont see why it should be the developers responsibility to make it work on every platform possible. Thats a hell of a lot of work for no real reward. Even big company's like Sony and Microsoft cant emulate their own previous gen machines fully.
Its a very tricky task.

And yes, if you got a tablet, DS emulating should be much better.

Quote:
even a second hand one is too much for me right now - it's not useful for anything else,
Fair enough.
I guess it depends how much time you gota kill (traveling/home), and what other forms of entertainment it displaces. Theres plenty of other things to use it for, but they would never be anything more then an excuse for the real reason.
Much like owning a new PC these days..even 3d modeling barely needs a decent graphics card, hardware specs is all down to games at the end of the day. Even 200euros would get you a pc that covers every possible work purpose short of working at CERN :P

Personally I use my DS for Comics,Music,Puzzling (PuzzleManik freeware, specifically) and Games. So all entertainment uses, even when Im not playing commercial games.

The only non-entertainment related uses I can think of is times when I needed to test wifi-reception about the house :P And possibly as a alarm clock a few times.
(theres a nice homebrew thing that can wake you up with a random mp3).
Old 2009-07-29, 16:59
Do the evolution.

Well for my travelling needs I have my Eee 900 with N64 mulator, dosbox, wine, scummvm on it for games. It's also to test wi-fi and I drag it onto roofs each time one of the cables of my network breaks so that I can track down the offenidng wire (I cut them up in random place and put a rj45 on it checking if there's signal, then solder it back or put a connector on the other cable and a little connector box). Or other network stuff like checking switches, or the internets at peoples places etc.

I thnk you can also hack it to have a touch screen.... not going to try it out though.
Old 2009-07-30, 16:03
Classic

Best not to risk it till your willing to replace it :P
---

Anyway, for anyone else with a DS, this game looks pretty sweet to me :P
Old 2009-08-03, 19:40
Classic

Gamestation are saleing DS's for 40GBP at the moment, btw.
Old 2009-08-03, 20:00
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
The dude on the left looks like the hero from the awesome game Cave Story. And the one on top looks like Zoidberg.

Edit: EEEk! Look what I just found!
Old 2009-08-03, 22:01
Classic

Yup, definitely getting that.
Now all I'm waiting for is Knytt Stories DS. Either the homebrew port, or an official one

Oh, and I guess that Nightgame thingy for wii/ds or something too would be nice.
Old 2009-08-05, 14:44
Classic

Holy Cow;

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/04/th...lutions-redux/

This game seems not so much a reason to own a DS, so much as a reason for the whole of human civilisation upto this point;

(you have to knock over the bottles)

All the solutions tried were top-voted suggestions from peoples posts on the story.
Heres the results;

Quote:
Archon: Black hole: Yeah, this worked really well. The bottles got sucked up into the hole, and (though she almost died) the girl didn't. Nice work.

GIMcFly: Bull and red flag: This was pretty good, in theory. We definitely were getting a reaction from the bull to the flag (which was really cool) but we didn't have quite enough room to maneuver the flag around the bottles. So, no dice.

The Tony: Throw a grenade at them: Yep, this worked, but sadly, the girl was killed in the process. Our bad.

MRLN: Tie a "steak" to a "baby", place it on the bottles, type "lion." Uhh, this was a little closer to catastrophe than we're comfortable with. It all worked fine in principal, but since we couldn't put the steak baby behind the bottles, we couldn't make it work before the lion viciously murdered everyone in the room. Sad.

Mr. Nimblewick: Tie a bowling ball to a pterodactyl and have it fly into them. An unconventional idea, sure, but darned if it didn't pan out (eventually).

Epicmuffin: write "termites" and let them chew through the wood. Yep, like a charm. This is a good example of a clever solution, but not a convoluted one, which is the kind of thinking that seems to work best with Scribblenauts. More on that later.

Girricane: Flamethrower. Girricane knew an idea this flawless didn't need a lot of complicated explanation. A quick blast from the flamethrower, and the tower came tumbling down.

NForever: A horse. A top hat. A monacle. A curly mustache. A polo mallet. And a wooden ball. (or I'd be assuming any ball would work.) First I'd get on my horse with my polo mallet in hand. Put on my top hat, monacle, and curly mustache. Then I'd smash that ball straight into those bottles like any upstanding british gentleman would. Then, upon my success, I would strut around on my pony with a flag that I materialized from thin air... and probably make some friends and tea appear so we could hit up a party like they do in the eastern hemisphere. Uhh, close. It was a little difficult hitting the ball from the horse, and we accidentally knocked the tower over while riding the horse, meaning we lost, thanks to our cheating. We did, however, have a great time putting the hat on the horse.

JPJ007 Elephant, mouse to the left of elephant. The elephant didn't quite knock it over on the first try, but we know he was afraid of the mouse, and we're pretty sure it would have worked, had we played with it a bit more.

I mean, seriously, this game sounds like the best thing ever.
If this dosnt sale, like, a bazillion copy's, humanity should burn.
Old 2009-08-15, 09:52
You what?!

So how limited is this game? I don't really understand, you can just draw whatever items you need and they come to life?
Old 2009-08-15, 10:17
Classic

Yup.
Basicaly you get given a task to do, and you can summon whatever you need to achieve it. You get points based on how few items you use, and also by doing the same task in different ways.

Theres a vocab of over 10,000 objects apparently.
Obviously they wont all act in unique ways, I'm guessing theres a combination of custom-codeing for some (black hole, nightvision goggles), and others that behave like others. (ie,fantasy creatures/animals/mythical beasts probably all fight and eat according to the same rules).

--

IGN editors also had a go at trying to stump the system, with some fun results;

http://ds.ign.com/articles/101/1014239p1.html
Old 2009-08-15, 11:45
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
IGN editors also had a go at trying to stump the system, with some fun results;

http://ds.ign.com/articles/101/1014239p1.html
Wow that's awesome