Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2008-09-14, 20:23
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
I've always wondered, what's the scaling algorithm when the desktop size is reduced than what's the one in accordance with the monitor.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2008-09-14, 20:33
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
I've always wondered, what's the scaling algorithm when the desktop size is reduced than what's the one in accordance with the monitor.
It depands on the built-in software of the LCD monitor. CRT monitors don't have a scaling algorithm, as far as I understand it.
Old 2008-09-14, 20:41
Magic Ball Master

What? I'm quite the software is responsible for that, the better scaling algorithms requires some CPU power.

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2008-09-14, 20:44
!!!!!

If you're talking about changing resolution (that's how I understood it) so it's smaller than the monitor's native resolution, then it's hardware. Unless you setup your graphic card to do it itself.
Old 2008-09-14, 21:04
Magic Ball Master

Oh right. I think you're right, but that probably means there is only a non-linear scaling, which means that the graphics could be somewhat improved if native resolution is kept and there is some sort software scaling.

I took a screenshot of LBA2 when I played before and I had my desktop effects zoom in on the windowed game window, dunno If you can make out any quality difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-5.png‎
Views:	75
Size:	342.8 KB
ID:	7755  

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2008-09-14, 21:15
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I think the difference is the native resolution of an old moniter compared to a new one is just difference sized pixals. And old, low res, games will look better on screens with bigger pixals, rather then high res screens trying to emulate bigger pixals.

Of course though, with any 3D based game, this slight difference is overwealmed by the fact you can just render it off at a higher res, with more AA etc.
Then its only the textures effected.
Old 2009-08-21, 14:03
Magic Ball Master

Bump:

Only this weekend, you can get Beyond Good & Evil + Prince of Persia: Sands of Time for $10, sounds like it's worth a purchase for everybody who hasn't got those yet.

On a related note, I find it disappointing that GOG still only has games available in English. They have Simon the Sorcerer II, the English version, so what's the problem with having the German version of the same game as well? I have that as a CD, it's fully dubbed etc. I can't see why they don't get all language versions of their games. Makes the service unattractive for me.
Old 2009-08-21, 14:08
!!!!!

What's the problem with just downloading the German version? You do know where to get it right? You're only paying GOG for the convenience of not feeling guilty.
Old 2009-08-21, 14:11
Magic Ball Master

Note: I already own the German version of all three games I mentioned. And you validated my point: GOG isn't really worth it this way. I don't think it would be much hassle to have versions other languages available, after all their domain currently is www.gog.com/en/
Old 2009-08-21, 14:54
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
only this weekend, you can get beyond good & evil + prince of persia: Sands of time for $10, sounds like it's worth a purchase for everybody who hasn't got those yet.

Quote:
. And you validated my point: Gog isn't really worth it this way.
Old 2009-08-21, 16:25
Do the evolution.

What? The only reason why would I buy a game there is because it would be in english! I have BG&E and it's in polish (subs) and I hate it! Thank the spaghetti monster I managed to but the orange box in english lately. Waiting for the deilvery now.

Seriously, the idea of dubbing games is stupid. Really, stupid. It's fine if it's translated once into english, no point doing dozens localisations! You expect those kids playing them to learn english at school....???

Last edited by Jasiek; 2009-08-21 at 16:49.
Old 2009-08-21, 20:11
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
What? The only reason why would I buy a game there is because it would be in english! I have BG&E and it's in polish (subs) and I hate it! Thank the spaghetti monster I managed to but the orange box in english lately. Waiting for the deilvery now.

Seriously, the idea of dubbing games is stupid. Really, stupid. It's fine if it's translated once into english, no point doing dozens localisations! You expect those kids playing them to learn english at school....???
I'm talking about myself only.
I learned English on the MBN without a problem. If LBA 2 had been in English only I probably wouldn't have touched it until much later than I originally did.
Old 2009-08-21, 21:45
Do the evolution.

Well I had an Amiga 500 back in 95. All games where in english, and while playing them all day I learnt english, then cartoon network and disovery helped, to the point I didn't need to learn it.

I think that if you weren't lazy , or had english only games, then you would've gained much with the games being in english. People need patience, not localized games!!
Old 2009-08-21, 21:52
Magic Ball Master

I don't see the point when English isn't the original language of the game and I already can speak English quite well. We're not living in the Amiga 500 years any more (The game I remember best from the Amiga, Lemmings, didn't need text anyway ). A translation should be possible to create and offer to those who need it and those who want it.
Old 2009-08-21, 21:57
Do the evolution.

Well if you already can speak english then why you ned a dubbed game then?!
Of course if it's a german game I don't see why you should be playing it in english, however if it's a game that was originally made in a language you understand, or could use some schooling in, I see absolutely no reason for dubbing it. In fact, I see people who wish for it as lazy.
Old 2009-08-21, 21:59
Previously Link

I think this conversation started with BG&E which is originally a french game...
Old 2009-08-21, 22:03
Magic Ball Master

... Beyond Good & Evil is a French game. LBA is a French game, too. I don't speak a word French.
Simon the Sorcerer: Wikipedia says
Quote:
The German translation is said to be very well done and equal to the English original.
I experienced that myself in Simon II.
It's just a different feeling if the game is in your own language or if it is in a foreign langauge, the experience will always be altered and there'll be at least a tiny bit of vocabulary you don't know.

What I do really appreciate are games where you can change the language. THAT really is very helpful. I learned a lot of obscure English words from playing Magic The Gathering cards- the cards exist in German, but the English versions are just as common around here, so you always have the original and the translation at hand to figure it out.
Old 2009-08-21, 22:17
Previously Link

It all depends on the quality of the dubbing and your motivation to learn English, and whether you're willing or not to lose some precision in your understanding (for those who are not yet perfectly bilingual).

Sometimes the dubbing is even better than the original version (of course most of the time it's not true). Aladdin's French dubbing is better than the English version, the voices are less flat, I think it has more jokes, etc. I still enjoy to watch it now because of the French dubbing.

Also, LBA2 loses a lot in the translated versions, the feeling is completely different. LBA1's English dubbing was better than the French though, I guess they used more talented voice actors, giving the illusion of more different voices.

Some people are proud of their mother tongue and simply don't want to acknowledge English is the only possible choice as an international language.
Old 2009-08-21, 22:35
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link View Post
I think this conversation started with BG&E which is originally a french game...
I often play LBA1 with the French voices and english subtitles. It's nice to play through a game how the creator envisioned it. Although the english voices sound better.
Old 2009-08-22, 07:02
LOLwut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link View Post
LBA1's English dubbing was better than the French though, I guess they used more talented voice actors, giving the illusion of more different voices.
LBA1? Talented voice actors?? Pffffffff

I liked LBA 2's voices a lot more (and even those sound really amateur-ish by today's standars).

But I agree with you regarding this: English (Like it or not) is the first language to be used when you think about international releases. (Plus, it must be the easiest one to understand)

Old 2009-08-22, 11:03
Do the evolution.

LBA1 had awesome voices. In 2 they where utterly childish - no idea why the lot of you folks think they're better.