Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2010-05-02, 16:07
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Anyone got a video camera? did you know...

You cant ever make money from it without paying royalties;

http://www.osnews.com/story/23236/Wh...by_the_MPEG-LA

Even sticking it on you tube is, technically, illegal.
Even watching youtube videos you are breaking their patents and EULA.

Having got a nice cam last year (Panasonic using AVCHD format), this royally piss's me of. Just because my camera saves to a h264 format, even if I transcode it before uploading, I owe them money.

Fuck them.

Its also worth noting Apple have a stake on MPEG-LA.
Obviously their anti-flash pro-h264 has nothing to do with this

Last edited by Darkflame; 2010-05-02 at 18:46.
Old 2010-05-02, 18:23
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
Their license agreement is so broad, that ALLOWS for crazy lawsuits against 99.999% of the population (most people have watched a Youtube video, you see, even if themselves might not even own a PC).

Think about it.
He should try thinking. I'm sure those lawsuits will start rolling in anytime now...we need the Men in Black.
Old 2010-05-02, 18:50
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Not quite sure I get your point there JJ.
Just because its unlikely they will sue individuals doesn't make this any the less fucked up.

I spent good money on a video camera with the intention of one day making some online videos, potentially with advertising, donations or even paid-for.
At no point was I told that "oh, btw, you cant make any profits from this camera without licensing crap". Its utterly fucked up.
I want to be able to one day sale my creations completely legally, and if I want to do that I now either need to find a way to whipe my firmware or get a new camera. (by which I mean "find an old camera").

Yes, sure, I could ignore it all. Id almost certainly get away with it. But that miss's the point completely.
The fact that thousands of independent video distributions from blip, to youtube, to the individual creators are now all at the mercy of the Mpeg-LA is a horrible thought. A license fee could easily whip out a lot of independent shows online and increase the advertising support needed on others.
Most hosting providers already remove content at the mere threat of being sued, after all. Innocent until proven guilty hardly applies in the online world.

Of course, the Mpeg-LA have ever so graciously allowed the use of online video till 2015. Wow, how nice of them.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2010-05-02 at 19:03.
Old 2010-05-02, 23:16
Master of Science & Magic

I live in the Netherlands. These additional terms which were not made clear before I bought the product and thereby absolutely invalid. By accepting my money they (and that and that includes MPEG-LA by proxy) agreed upon the terms as they were at the moment of sales, which doesn't include any license fees towards the MPEG-LA. So if MPEG-LA wants their license fees, they will have to knock on the door of the retailer or product manufacturer.
Old 2010-05-03, 11:07
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmuerte View Post
I live in the Netherlands. These additional terms which were not made clear before I bought the product and thereby absolutely invalid. By accepting my money they (and that and that includes MPEG-LA by proxy) agreed upon the terms as they were at the moment of sales, which doesn't include any license fees towards the MPEG-LA. So if MPEG-LA wants their license fees, they will have to knock on the door of the retailer or product manufacturer.
Same for me. Any EULA regulations that were not presented to me when I bought the product (or aren't already covered by something else) are legally void, I think.
Old 2010-05-03, 14:56
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Yes, sure, I could ignore it all. Id almost certainly get away with it. But that miss's the point completely.
The fact that thousands of independent video distributions from blip, to youtube, to the individual creators are now all at the mercy of the Mpeg-LA is a horrible thought. A license fee could easily whip out a lot of independent shows online and increase the advertising support needed on others.
Most hosting providers already remove content at the mere threat of being sued, after all. Innocent until proven guilty hardly applies in the online world
My point is this:

Do you really think this Orwellian idea of mass lawsuits and restrictions on home-filmed internet content will happen?

If the answer is yes, then apparently it is good to be concerned.

If the answer is no, the article is low-grade pseudo-intellectual bunco.
Old 2010-05-04, 22:31
Polly parrot

These laws are so unlogical... You cannot watch or upload videos on youtube, you can't even lend dvds to a friend (it is written in the opening).