Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2010-09-26, 01:59
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Google invest in Sweeb

You google, but are you ready to sweeb?

http://shweeb.com/
Old 2010-09-26, 02:09
the hobbits to Otringal

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

hehe guess that got hyped a bit to much?

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225
Old 2010-09-26, 02:40
Magic Ball Master

What the hell is a Sweeb (since I also can't access the page)?
Old 2010-09-26, 02:51
Lemonhead

Apparantly it's a New Zealand transportation company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://topnews.net.nz/content/28456-google-funding-shweeb-s-invention-cycling-monorail
The winners would receive funding from Google for their ideas and to implement their inventions. Shweeb’s idea was to build a pedaling monorail. This monorail would be made of little clear capsules and would be powered by humans pedaling.

Shweeb has already been using its monorail at Rotorua Adventure Park for three years, but it has never been considered as a serious transportation alternative around the city.

The award is a US$1 million fund from Google to Shweeb in order to turn the idea to a solid reality. In return Google would be acquiring 25% of the shares of Shweeb. However, Google will not be collecting any profits, for it promised all of its profits from Shweeb would go to the public transport charity trusts.
Sounds like a very silly idea to me. I think the investment is actually $10M.

It can't be very well known (or atleast, it wasn't before this announcement) because the internet archive only visited shweeb.com once, in 2007, and came back with a generic search portal page.

~edit:
http://www.shweeb.co.nz/

Here's a 'promo clip':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJMSHWLAShc

Interesting is one way of putting it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shweeb site
Shweeb will soon announce the location where we will build the first transit Shweeb for public use!
Oh my god, they're actually going to do it? What were Google thinking...

Last edited by Jast; 2010-09-26 at 03:04.
Old 2010-09-26, 12:19
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Looks quite bold
Old 2010-09-26, 13:04
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
So it's basically my child-hood dream with hovering bicycles, but instead with secured tubes hanging on rails as the picture shows. It's supposed to be used as public transportation I think. The Google 10^100 ideas project seems to be funding parts of this together with shweeb who are the technical constructors.

That's what I've understood, please correct me where I'm wrong.

What on earth are they thinking?

What if you get tired? Are you blocking all traffic?
What if somebody wants to drive ahead on the monorail?
How many rails is necessary to replace the Japanese metro?
In what sense is this helping the world which was the goal of the 10^100?

I'm quite skeptic to this idea, but what do I know, maybe they've thought of that.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2010-09-26, 13:08

I think this will be just one more toy added to children's playground and not real transportation
Old 2010-09-26, 13:48
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Arg, it was up when I posted.

Basically its an overhead bike-system, but it seemed like it could be a plausible transport system.
The site had a video and an FAQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
What on earth are they thinking?

What if you get tired? Are you blocking all traffic?
What if somebody wants to drive ahead on the monorail?
How many rails is necessary to replace the Japanese metro?
In what sense is this helping the world which was the goal of the 10^100?

I'm quite skeptic to this idea, but what do I know, maybe they've thought of that.
Your questions were covered quite well in the FAQ.

From what I remember this is what they said;

a) No, the other carts can push you along and apparently the friction is low enough that it doesn't take much effort. The pod-thingys are actually programed to split of at junctions automatically so even if you arn't peddling they have some "intelligence" and will get out the way.
(The track idea they were proposing seems to be a bit like having a "highway" of constantly moving traffic and slip-lanes in and out to stop and start...you don't get on/of on the main highway bit)

b) Can't be done, but they mentioned pushing the people in front again here.
Also, apparently they will all be geared to a maximum speed so overtaking is largely pointless.

c) no idea. Id imagine it would be in addition to anything for a long time to come. But the number of people per hour this could carry was quite impressive.

d) I think human powered transport is a logical choice for city's and this could be a part-solution to the problem. Car's really are horribly inefficient in city use...they take a hell of a lot of energy to move, and half the time they are just stuck in traffic.
I think something like this would be reasonably usefull for many city-workers.
The nice thing is as your destination will be programed you can just peddle constantly and not pay any attention to anything else....thus you can easily read or play videogames at the same time.

--

I must admit I was quite sceptically myself, but from what I remember they seemed to have thought about it a lot. I think its worth investing as an experiment at least.

Quote:
Oh my god, they're actually going to do it? What were Google thinking...
Other then "its silly" though, what exactly is the objection?

Out-the-box thinking isn't necessarily wrong.
Bikes are, after all, one of the most efficient machines we have ever invented. (70% energy conversion or above). I can see logic in pursuing a practical adaption for city transport.
Old 2010-09-26, 14:02

I can already imagine chinese people rushing into these devices going in and out of them in 1 sec barely having time to grab theyr luggage while others pull and push people in rush
Old 2010-09-26, 14:56
Classic

True. But then, not much different from other forms of public transport then :P
Old 2010-09-26, 18:17
Lemonhead

DF, this isn't out-of-the-box thinking, this is just taking something invented centuries ago and making it worse.

- Bicycles are cheaper, and independently owned.
- Bicycles can go anywhere, rather than having to abide by what I imagine will be a very strict and small 'shweeb' route.
- Bicycles don't make a city ugly, this would. Imagine if your first impression of New Zealand was a massive ugly metalic 'track' hanging above an already-mediocre city, with only the distorted faces of severely obese children holding lollipops visible within the whizzing-round capsules. Upon seeing such a sight I would, personally, walk straight into a suicide booth, which would surely be there as trying to emulate my favorite cartoon show has worked for them so far! Formula for Shweeby success: take futuristic pipes from Futurama, add sweat and pedals.
- Bicycles are maintained by whoever owns them, so there's no big bills.
- You don't look like a total prick when you ride a bicycle.

In an amusement park? Go ahead. But in a real bloody city? This money, after spending a little on the execution of whoever came up with this awful idea, should be used on bicycle-only lanes, shortcuts, hand out programs, etc. Or better still, and this is an outlandish idea I know, but what about buying a car?

Last edited by Jast; 2010-09-26 at 18:35.
Old 2010-09-26, 19:32
Magic Ball Master

Darkflame - You're right, their FAQ did well cover it (did't read it, but your answers were good)

Jast - I do agree that your points are all valid, but you missed out on some points:

* This is more effective than bikes having friction, I think.
* Bicycling deaths in traffic cost not only lives, but also much economically. Less bikes = safer cityroads

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2010-09-26, 20:18
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jast View Post
DF, this isn't out-of-the-box thinking, this is just taking something invented centuries ago and making it worse.

- Bicycles are cheaper, and independently owned.
- Bicycles can go anywhere, rather than having to abide by what I imagine will be a very strict and small 'shweeb' route.
- Bicycles don't make a city ugly, this would. Imagine if your first impression of New Zealand was a massive ugly metalic 'track' hanging above an already-mediocre city, with only the distorted faces of severely obese children holding lollipops visible within the whizzing-round capsules. Upon seeing such a sight I would, personally, walk straight into a suicide booth, which would surely be there as trying to emulate my favorite cartoon show has worked for them so far! Formula for Shweeby success: take futuristic pipes from Futurama, add sweat and pedals.
- Bicycles are maintained by whoever owns them, so there's no big bills.
- You don't look like a total prick when you ride a bicycle.

In an amusement park? Go ahead. But in a real bloody city? This money, after spending a little on the execution of whoever came up with this awful idea, should be used on bicycle-only lanes, shortcuts, hand out programs, etc.
Theres downsides, sure. But you missed all the advantages of such a system already mentioned.
As for ugly, thats your view. Just like windfarms, I think this could look just fine and certainly no worse then roads, carparks, or even massive arrays of bike-racks.
As transport systems go, they pretty much all look ugly, I dont see how this is worse.

Quote:
Or better still, and this is an outlandish idea I know, but what about buying a car?
Well, thats one way of invalidating any valid views you have in this then.
If you cant see the problems with cars as the current standard transport method in citys, then your not going to see the advantages of this.
Old 2010-09-26, 21:08
Magic Ball Master

What's probably most frustrating with bikes is that they get stolen, they need maintenance and that they are interfering with everything else (cars, pedestrians, etc.). How pissed didn't you get last time somebody punctured your front wheel 'for fun'?

Sweeb has none of those problems.

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2010-09-26, 21:17

this is good and fast but the amount of people this could transport in an hour, needs some updgrade like many pods on top of each other, + slow ones and fast ones colliding + luggage space? i like how it looks futuristic but its not really practical how it seems right now, more useful would be electrically or somehow otherwise powered pod which would go way faster
Old 2010-09-27, 23:16
strange dreamer

@All of those against it: WTF is it with people always complaining about new ideas handing out the most trivial problems? don't you agree that ALL these problems/aspects would've been analised already both by Google AND the Sweebs creation team? or do you think that at a mere glance you will think of a problem they haven't yet? please read the FAQ, browse their website fully, understand the concept, their vision, and then post an opinion. Thanks.

--

This is instigating, darkflame. Thanks for sharing this. Surely it looks a bit embarassing to use, at first, but then again, all new inventions are like that until we get used to it. I suppose they'll make a version with dark glass in the future for more privacy. And maybe even release a "couple's version", with two seats beside each other.

EDIT: About the traffic problem, I think it won't happen, this is more of a leisure and fitness mode of transport. Not meant to get full like metro's or busses. I specially imagine this being used on tours, passing thru remote areas such as a forest or even caves with complete safety (as illustrated on the website).
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2010-09-27 at 23:24.
Old 2010-09-28, 18:48
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
@All of those against it: WTF is it with people always complaining about new ideas handing out the most trivial problems? don't you agree that ALL these problems/aspects would've been analised already both by Google AND the Sweebs creation team? or do you think that at a mere glance you will think of a problem they haven't yet? please read the FAQ, browse their website fully, understand the concept, their vision, and then post an opinion. Thanks.
It's not like we are emailing them these smart-ass comments. Sure, we are mentioning the trivial problems, and they, of course, have thought hard on solutions already. Yet that doesn't mean they have any perfect solutions for them. Notice that I by 'not perfect' mean that the solution might be the best possible, but it's still not as good as we would want them.

I mean it's worth discussing, and what's most worth discussing is the trivial problems to begin with. Yet I agree, some of us (me inclusive) should try to sound a little bit less smart-assy

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2010-10-03, 21:40
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Do you think you'd be allowed to Sweeb drunk? You can't legally cycle drunk. That's a benefit.

In all seriousness, I think it's a pretty neat idea. If a city is full of bicycles there's no where to lock them up and they're everywhere, go see the streets of Cambridge, it's utterly ridiculous.

Last edited by Echomote; 2010-10-03 at 21:48.
Old 2010-10-04, 21:52
Polly parrot

When I saw "your space, your time" I thought the next one will be "your money".
Old 2010-10-04, 23:25
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Send a message via ICQ to Hakvin Send a message via MSN to Hakvin
Haha
I believe in this. Think of it as one more alternative city-transport. It could only reduce the use of all pollutioning forms of transport.

Maybe they'll come up with a bus-version too, one that could cary huge amounts of people. If its too heavy for a "bus-driver" to manipulate with his own legs, a power-driven pod would be neat too. Why not?

Hm, I imagine cities like Tokyo will have EVERYTHING up in the air in 50 years or so, stretching as far upwards as sideways, like the city in "The fifth Element".
Old 2010-10-05, 01:30
Classic

As long as we get flying Chinese-takeaway airships, I'm happy :P