Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2015-05-15, 17:30
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Attention Artists (or anyone that needs a painting thing...)

The the last month or so I have been using this free painting app;
https://krita.org/download/krita-desktop/

Selected Feature list;
https://krita.org/features/highlights/
(it leaves a lot out)

Its blown me away with how good this software is.
I mean its the most powerful application I have seen in quite awhile - it makes Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro look like prehistoric in terms of features. :P

From the perspective of a 3D artists features like being able to paint and manipulate HDR images, including changing exposure whenever you like
or having a special "wrap around painting" mode for textures are incredible.

It also (finally) puts some stuff 3d Artists have had for a long time into 2D software.
Features such as non destructive transform layers ("transform masks") appeal to me as they have direct analogy in 3d software - the Layer list in this software is much more like a Modifier Stack. Its not just blending pixels, it can more them about and copy them too.

Paint on one layer, have clones/transforms elsewhere that update in realtime to reflect it- its really quite revolutionary for 2d software and you find more use's for it the more you use it.
(Oh, and layers can come from different files too, "File Layer" so you can have a x-ref from a file that is distorted and updated in another, changes will be reflected across the files)

I have linked to their Kickstarter below as they very much deserve a bump, but its already fully free to download with everything I have listed.
Mac/PC/Linux

Seriously folks, I urge anyone to check it out if you do any sort of 2d painting/pixel manipulation in your work.

A few notes;
The reason why some tools seem absent in some cases if they have more powerful generic tools.
For example, there is no "clone" brush or no "blur" brush.....because ALL brushes can be a clone brush or a blur brush. In fact, any filter can be used as a brush O_o
This confused me for awhile.

I'm still getting used to it and finding new features, but other then a slower start up time I have yet to find anything missing then I need elsewhere.

And its all free. Crossplatform.

Oh, and did I mention they want to add animation O_o

Last edited by Darkflame; 2015-05-18 at 23:57.
Old 2015-05-15, 18:03
Do the evolution.

Nice! Will have to check it out finally. Thanks!
Old 2015-05-16, 16:30
Magic Ball Master

Looks nice, need to try it.

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2015-05-16, 19:24
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Yeah, amazed it isn't getting more coverage.

One other thing to bare in mind; The help on the menu is broken :P
Generally speaking if you cant find a feature just google, theres normally a youtube tutorial for them.
Old 2015-05-18, 14:39
strange dreamer

Some features mentioned (such as the wrap-around tool) already exists in other software, however they are limited and specific to these functions, whereas this one has all-in-one which is, obviously, fairly more convenient.

I will try it, since fiddling with art is both my profession and hobby.

Btw, your link for the Kickstarter project is broken, the correct should be:
Code:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/krita/krita-free-paint-app-lets-make-it-faster-than-phot?ref=card

Thx for posting about this here.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2015-05-18, 20:06
strange dreamer

Well... applying effects is truly boring... I'm not quite happy with the GUIs, brush panel, overly complicated/non-intuitive... I can't quite put my finger on the whys of it, but I'm not enjoying using it. Nevertheless, it is neat regarding that it looks and feels like a AAA software... nice knowing about it. Maybe in a few years I might enjoy it.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2015-05-18 at 20:17.
Old 2015-05-18, 23:56
Classic

Well, Its not designed for easy of use, you certainly gotta learn it. I am still getting used to it, but then, pretty much any "big" software has taken me awhile to adapt too. If I need to do something quick I admit I still load up PaintShopPro, but if I got time I learn how to do it in Krita.

Not sure what you mean by "boring" mind you - painting filters strikes me as pretty cool compared to the normal (only) option of applying it to the whole image or a selection. Or did you mean something else with "effects"?
--
Thanks for pointing out the broken link,btw. I fixed it. Not sure how that happened.
They got their goal anyway, although still a few stretch goals worth aiming for.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2015-05-19 at 00:01.
Old 2015-05-19, 04:44
strange dreamer

Well the controls for the effects don't allow easy and quick adjustments, like a bar with sliders to adjust levels or whatnot, or any kinds of fancy visual guis that make you inspired and help your creative juices flow, only boring dialog boxes with numbers to fill in. No pop-up help on any parameter, no presets (!!!), and most effects were barely visible/useful/way too subtle.
Quote:
Old 2015-05-19, 04:49
strange dreamer

For example of my kind of rad effects, Google "kai power tools". Every effect sounds and looks so interesting and appealing and make such amazing drastic changes to the image that you really feel like exploring that territory carefully.

Now take those emboss effects in krita... so boring.

Anyway, just my way of digging things.
Quote:
Old 2015-05-20, 15:47
Classic

Oh, I love KTP. Used to use them all the time on PSP. But I think the company died?
Havn't heard from them in awhile anyway.

Note; While there isn't anything as funky as some KPT stuff, there is more filters then there seems if you look under there "G MIC" section of the filter menu. Theres wayyyyy more stuff here.
However, they use some external module so you cant use them as a layer or brush like you can with the others.
Old 2015-05-20, 18:15
strange dreamer

Oh I didn't notice this "G MIC"... ok, my expectations are improving.
Quote:
Old 2015-05-21, 14:09
Classic

Apparently the software is used to make German discworld covers;
https://krita.org/item/krita-comes-to-discworld/
Old 2015-05-22, 18:40
!!!!!

That's some pretty neat stuff yo!