Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2007-05-29, 15:19
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Digital/Independant TV Distribution; Dr Horrible's now on DVD and online! Buy now!

Ok, I'm turning this thread into one for (legaly) distributed TV Shows online.

First up, the frelling fantastic news;

NEW FARSCAPE;

10 on-line episodes have been commissioned.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/805/805136p1.html

Not much news as yet, save farscape reports at least some of the original cast is returning.

Quote:
SCIFI.COM has ordered a 10-part web series based on their original television series Farscape. While SCI FI is committed to the project, no actors or writers have been announced for the project. The story of the 10-part series is also currently kept under wraps.

Still utterly fantastic news for scapers like me.
And another massive prove that cancelled shows and DD makes sense.
I eagerly await details.

Sanctuary (old news);

I thought some people might be interested, there's a professionally produced sci-fi/fantasy series called "Sanctuary" being distributed online.
The first 4 episodes will be free, and then £1 or so after that.

Its made by some of the team and actors behind Stargate using mostly blue screen technology.

The first two episodes are out now and can be watched on my sci-fi channel;

eppisode 1:
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v497769c6MqPd4F?c=SFF

eppisode 2:
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v5463918BRgc97M?c=SFF

eppisode 3:
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v613474y6sh7BYb?c=SFF

Seems like it could be quite good to me, has a lot of potential.
I also approve of this distribution method. Having professionally produced shows online with worldwide viewers, paid directly by fans with no advertising or middle men certainly seems the way forward.

Purhapes the £1 an eppisode seems a bit step given they are quite short, but I guess they are baseing their fee off esimated viewer numbers.
Remember, there is no advertising.
The fee is to download high quality versions of the eppisodes, and goes towards new eppisodes.

=====
[shameless advert]

You may, or may not be interesed, theres also a fair amount of other stuff to watch on my sci-fi channel;

Star Trek: New Voyages;
epp0 pilot;
STNV "Come What May" (High Quality Stage6)
STNV "Come What May" (Flash, Veoh)
epp1;
STNV "In Harms Way" (Flash, Veoh)
epp2;
STNV "ToServeAllMyDays" (High Quality Stage6)
STNV "ToServeAllMyDays" (Flash, Veoh)

Star Wars Fan Films;
StarWars Revolutions (technicaly quite impressive)
StarWars Broken Allegience
StarWars: TheDarkRedepemtion (probably my favorate)
Star Wars Brains and Steal
Star Wars: Conspiracy

Classic Movies now in public domain;
Killers From Space
The Day the Sky Exploded!
Dr Jekyll and MrHyde (1920 B/W)
Santa Claus Conquers The Martians (Its as good as it sounds..or maybe not )
Night of the Living Dead
PhantomPlanet
Things To Come
Superman and the Artic Giant (cartoon)

Crossovers;
Freddy VS Ghostbusters?!
Batman: Dead End (short)
Greyson Concept Trailer (I really wish they made a film of this )
Worlds Finest (not as good as greyson, imo)

Originals;
"Freeware ~ A rather nice original CG short film set in a global-corp style future
Harvy~Warning 18rated very disturbing horror about a guy split in too.
Mega Robot Returns. Short fun animation
Hallucii ~ A wonderfull Escher-inspired animation
CodeGardian ~ Big Nazi robots fighting. Who needs more?

Professional Webisodes
BattleStarGallatica: The Resistance

Book based
RUN RINCEWIND RUN

This is just a sample, theres more starwars fanfilms and startrek fanshows online.
We also have complete old shows/films in public domain like "Flash Gordon" , "Undersea Kingdom" as well as the very first sci-fi film ever made;
A-Trip-To-The-Moon-(Le_voyage_dans_la_lune).

Channel URLs;
http://stage6.divx.com/Science-Fiction-Faction
http://www.veoh.com/channels/SFF

Animation channel;
http://www.veoh.com/channels/AnimationAllience
[/shameless advert]

Last edited by Darkflame; 2007-07-16 at 20:50.
Old 2007-05-29, 15:33
Zebrazilla

I've been following Sanctuary's progress since the birth of it's concept and I've been really excited about it. The first episode was really neat, and I've yet to see the second one, but I have a great feeling towards this show.

..and the format, the format is excellent. They're smart, these guys.
But from what I've seen yet, they haven't pulled it off flawlessly. The flash-player-thingy seems quite unstable and bloated right now, but I still have my hopes up.

On a side-note, Amanda Tapping is an awesome actress. So is David Hewlett's small part in the first episode.

==

No worries about the advert. As I see it, your SFF channel on Stage6 is awesome and I frequently check it out for updated material. Too bad it's not possible, legal-wise, to put up hi-res versions of Sanctuary up there.

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2007-05-29, 15:54
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Well, I actualy emailed them asking if I could put the first eppisode up in good quality.
I'm hoping they are seeing the first 4 eppisodes as advertising for the others, and are only charging for the downloads because they are hosting them.
(they are HD quality, after all).

Agreed about the flash player, incidently, which is why I posted the Veoh link rather then their own.
I'll be purchaseing the eppisodes as downloads, which, incidently, is completely DRM free
Old 2007-05-29, 18:04
Do the evolution.

The camera sucks - looks like a brasilian sitcom... and I don't like the overall "cgness" of it. It has potential, but only if made with proper sets, that thing looks absolutely fake. It's also over dramatic. The music is also annoying and does not suit the scenes, wich are absolutely too dark btw. And empty for that amtter, there's too little people. And the jokes that are there, like that sasquatch-shower thing, come on, it absolutely does not fit in to all that whispering and creeping and dark stuff.

It lacks a proper camera, a proper director, proper sets, proper music, proper mood, and MORE PEOPLE! After watching those two episodes I feel like I just saw two overly long game intros... It's Westood games all over! Eeeeek! Or the Children of the Dune, also made with cg-backgrounds, and they sucked! The old Dune made by Lynch was far better.
Old 2007-05-29, 18:53
Classic

I didnt even notice the music,ergo it was fine for me. (good background music shouldnt be consciously noticeable)

Not sure about the too dark I also could see everything fine
(remember most of the scenes are at night...maybe try adjusting the gamma
on your moniter?)

Yeah, of course all the backgrounds are fake (Like SkyCaptain). But I dont have a problem with that as long as they a syned correctly.
Reduces production costs by about a 100-fold, while simulantiously allowing any visual design or concept they like to be on screen.
Graphics looked perfectly find too me. Nothing spectacular but the creatures in the "zoo" look great.

Also, I see nothing wrong with mixing humour and horror. Not that I found anything particularly funny, but I just dont see that as clashing if it was.
Old 2007-05-29, 20:00
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
I didnt even notice the music,ergo it was fine for me. (good background music shouldnt be consciously noticeable)

Not sure about the too dark I also could see everything fine
(remember most of the scenes are at night...maybe try adjusting the gamma
on your moniter?)

Yeah, of course all the backgrounds are fake (Like SkyCaptain). But I dont have a problem with that as long as they a syned correctly.
Reduces production costs by about a 100-fold, while simulantiously allowing any visual design or concept they like to be on screen.
Graphics looked perfectly find too me. Nothing spectacular but the creatures in the "zoo" look great.

Also, I see nothing wrong with mixing humour and horror. Not that I found anything particularly funny, but I just dont see that as clashing if it was.
Well, I did notice the music failry often...
It's not cg backgrounds that are bothering me, becouse Sky Captain for instance was superb - it's when they try to do it serious, it becomes fake then, and that start to bother me, another thing is that it has to be done very delicate in order to succed. It really bothered me to watch those fake places.

And I too can't find anything wrong with humour mixed in with horror, but like all things it has to be done carefully, with taste - the humour here seems forced.

The cemara really, really, really, REALLY bothers me. It does look like a game intro all the time.

For this show to be good, it needs to be more dynamic, it needs a more movie like - more elaborate camera. And it needs to define itself, so the gags used won't be looking like they were forced, fake. Also, I didn't like that "zoo" it looked like done by someone without experience, and the big foot?! Come on!
Old 2007-05-29, 20:31
Zebrazilla

Keep in mind that these are the first batches of episodes, after all. Can't expect it to be perfect straight away. It is kindof revolutionary, in a sense, y'know.

I love the fact that they will be able to do pretty much any camera movement with such greenscreen setups. Hopefully the CG backgrounds and such will improve.

As for darkness, I found no trouble seeing anything clearly. Edit: I merely think it's a by-product of the low quality of the episodes up at veoh and such. The HD versions are much, much more clear and un-troubling in terms of darkness.

LBA Speedruns

Last edited by Homeless; 2007-05-30 at 00:46.
Old 2007-05-30, 14:32
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
I thought it was great. Just the rain and city at the end looked a bit fake, the rest looked quite real to me.

Somebody uploaded (probably without permission) to Stage6

http://stage6.divx.com/user/lorouns/...E01-by-lorouns
Double click on the video to view fullscreen

On the official site episodes 1-4 are pay, you sure they're supposed to be free?
Old 2007-05-30, 15:08
Classic

from the faq;
Quote:
Do I have to pay to see Sanctuary? / I read that the first 4 webisodes are free?
The first 4 webisodes can be viewed for FREE at http://www.sanctuaryfans.com , YouTube, and other internet video sites.
A small fee will be charged to download webisodes (including the first 4) from the Sanctuaryforall.com website or to view them through the Sanctuaryforall.com Media Player.

Webisodes are available for purchase individually or in bundles, in either Standard or High Definition formats.
Old 2007-05-30, 17:45
Zebrazilla

At some points the greenscreen doesn't quite seem to work that well and one can clearly see that typical greenscreen-aura, especially in Dr. Zimmerman's hair. It can be quite disturbing at times. Sometimes the backgrounds seems to be a bit jerky, as well, not flowing well with the real-life camera movement.

Oh well. I hope they'll get the hang of it properly within this season. This is just the beginning.

LBA Speedruns
Old 2007-05-31, 15:04
!!!!!

I kind of wonder how many people will pay money to download episodes when they'll be able to download it for free through BitTorrent.
Old 2007-06-01, 02:05
Classic

How many people buy music from Itunes?
(or films and tv shows for that mater).

I think most people use uTorrent and such not because they want to steal, but rather because its easy and convient.
People want to watch what they like, whenever they like, with no DRM crap or restrictions.

Id happily pay a pound or two for the shows I like as long as it was the same.
Easy, convenient and without restrictions.

My money isnt really paying for the eppisode I just watched, after all, its paying for future eppisodes.
Old 2007-06-01, 13:09
!!!!!

I would gladly pay to watch the programs I like, as long as I know the money gets to the creative team. Currently I only buy DVD's of Lost and I never ever watch TV, I wouldn't watch commercials even if I get paid for it.

But that's right, it isn't convenient to purchase online. You need a credit card, and you need to give away your credit card number. Those 2 things are enough to scare away most people.
Old 2007-06-01, 14:13

I agree with Darkflame.

I intend to buy these episodes, however things like Stargate - I only download them without buying because otherwise I can't watch the latest series when they come out. Sanctuary being available online 1st is perfect.

Quote:
But that's right, it isn't convenient to purchase online. You need a credit card, and you need to give away your credit card number. Those 2 things are enough to scare away most people.
Oh come on, I don't have an anti-virus or firewall and I've used my card quite a few times.
Old 2007-06-01, 14:18
Classic

Well, the key imo, is to have as many payment types as possible.

Any site that requires a credit card for instant, can fuck off right away

Credit OR DebitCard OR PayPal should be the minimum three to get international sales.

Id also like too see GoogleCheckOut and Moneybookers for extra options.

Increasingly sites (like Runescape) allow use's to pay by sending a txt message.
I wish this was used a lot more as its very easy for people, and probably something people feel safer with.
Old 2007-06-01, 14:21

Theres also a pay method where you phone the number with your home-phone and it bills straight off your phone bill, I believe.

I use paypal where available, when it's not, I use my debit card.
Old 2007-06-03, 22:17
Classic

Home phone is good too, I think thats run by BT that system.
===

Incidently, for those interesting, I just updated a lot more stuff on the Fiction Faction.
Lots of old films, new amataur stuff.
I updated above
====

Dosnt seem to be a firm date for the next Sancturary epp, allthough it sounds like it could be soon;

Quote:
From Damian Kindler's Blog:
On May 14 2007 the first 15 minute webisode of Sanctuary will go live - with a new webisode being released every few weeks after that.
From A Dark Asylum: Damian Kindler Discusses 'Sanctuary' at SyFy Portal:
[The Webisodes] will be released regularly, “most likely every 10 days to two weeks.”
From The Future is Now for Sanctuary at VFXWorld:
...[Ron] Martin explains. "Each webisode is 15 minutes and each range up to 21 minutes. We've got the first eight webisodes in the can, currently in post-production, and we will roll those out every two weeks. After that, we will be releasing the next set, which we are currently working on as well."
Old 2007-06-23, 00:38
Classic

*updated first post with a (free) link to eppisode 3*

You can also, if you wish, support them by purchaseing a version here;
http://www.sanctuaryforall.com/
(high quality quicktime and mov, no DRM crap)
Old 2007-07-16, 20:53
Classic

Ok, I updated this thread so its about any Digital Distributed TV series....either current or upcoming

News has just come in about new Farscape epps being commissioned, so I pray and hope its dealt with like Sanctuary. (only higher budget )
Old 2007-07-16, 21:04
Zebrazilla

Oh my! That's spectacular news! Just as I thought there was no hope

This calls for a celebration. Yay!

LBA Speedruns
Old 2007-07-16, 21:23
Classic

Indeed it is, I lost hope myself.
At most, I expected a Farscape comic or something at some stage.

I only hope they give it the budget to do it justice.
I expect being a web series it wont get as much as a normal show, but it should get significantly more then Sanctuary as that hasn't got the funding of a tv channel behind it.
Old 2007-07-17, 12:22
Do the evolution.

Wow! I never expected for Farscape to be continued!
Old 2007-07-17, 19:42
Look beyond reality.

OH my fucking god. Farscape will be continued. I will now scream like a little girl, and inform my sister about this.
And I will probably crie.
And see all good things in life.
And donate 100 bucks to the local homeless guy.
wow.

ps: Farscape rebirth from death == LBA rebirth from death?
Old 2007-08-02, 01:48
Classic

We can but hope
Personaly, I had a double wammy, as Reboot is also getting 3 new TV movies, and I loved that show.
--

Anyway, back onto the original topic for a mo;

Quote:
The result is this: On Monday July 30, with the release of Webisode 6, Sanctuary will be sold under a flat pricing model: $1.99 US per standard definition webisode, $2.49 US for the HD version. Across the globe, in every market. Bundles will be priced according to this new model as well.

We believe the world is changing and that online media distribution is creating new rules in the global marketplace. One of the early challenges for Sanctuary was looking at that marketplace and working out how we could compete. We now believe flat pricing is the way to effectively do that.
-http://www.sanctuaryforall.com/weblog/?p=22

Basicaly, Sanctuary eppisodes are going to be priced the same worldwide, according to US prices. This much improves the earlier situation where europe got a "bad exchange rate" with the US.
The blog is quite interesting, also mentioning the main site will be updated and improved.
Old 2007-08-18, 02:26
Classic

Episodes 5,6 and 7 are now up for purchase at Sanctuary's new homesite;
http://www.sanctuaryforall.com/pages/library.php
They cost $2 each.

Theres also neat footage her of Amada Tapping playing with a fan...
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v854197JBbK24JJ?c=Sanctuary