Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2007-09-17, 18:03
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Season Final of Sanctuary! :
http://sanctuaryforall.com/home.php

Better yet, its been confirmed for a second season!
It seems the Digital Distribution was a succuess, the new season will be vastly longer.

Quote:
Q: Will the time table for a new season be like a TV season where we are waiting months for the next season or will it be sooner? Also, will this always be “8″ ep. Seasons?

A: Currently, the idea is to shoot another thirteen hours worth of show, which would turn into something approximating a regular TV schedule. The reason that the first cycle was 8 webisodes was that it’s a pilot show that was two hours. Two hours divided into 15 min shows equal eight webisodes.
From 2 hours to 13 hours?! Quite a leap in length

I would guess that would be bumping the eppisode length up a bit as well as the eppisode count.
They are also "doing a Heroes" and working on a comic.

Even if you dont particularly like Sanctuary, this is fantasic news for online Distribution of new tv shows.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2007-09-17 at 18:10.
Old 2008-12-03, 21:25
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
==============

Well, since I last time I updated this a lot has changed.

Sanctuary has completely sold out to the sci-fi channel, effectively stealing from online fans that paid in advance for content. (all DD was taken offline).

However, the every popular Joss Whedon has taken up the mantle and is, politely, leading the fight against the tv networks.

For those that dont know, Dr Horrible's Sing-ALong-blog is a completely independently made... professional standard...45 minute musical comady about a supervillian that falls in love with a girl at the laundrette.

Imho, its utterly brillent.
Very funny, and quite moving too.

For more details;
http://drhorrible.com/

It was launched online, and was greated with much praise.

I'm bumping this thread mainly because the DVD is now up for pre-order on Amazon.com. Its confirmed as being region free. (another strong advantage of producing something outside the US tv-networks in my book).
http://www.amazon.com/Horribles-Sing...8243478&sr=8-3

You can also buy it on ITunes.
http://drhorrible.com/

I recomend buy the dvd though, as it comes with loads of extra's (including a musicial commentary) and is extremely cheap.
You also know that the vaste majority of the money goes directly to the writters,director,actors and stage-hands that helped make it.
Unlike the few cents they get off most dvds that cost a lot more.

So, go on, if your fed up with shit tv, make the networks suffer by giving independent and online productions a leg-up.
Old 2008-12-03, 22:15
Magic Ball Master

They only send from the USA do they? I wonder how "cheap" it is when you add shipping fees and border taxes.
Old 2008-12-03, 22:19
Classic

Still pretty cheap given the low dollar.
I'm not sure of the price for one dvd, but I just ordered 3 of them, as well as 2 books, and shipping+handeling/taxs was $20. Pretty sure thats at least two seperate shipments as well.

The only real problem is amazon.com dosnt support Debit Cards, nor PayPal.

Its Credit Card (Visa/Mastercard etc) or US BankAccount only.

America dosnt go in for Debit Cards much.
Which is probably partly to blame for their financial problems.
Old 2008-12-03, 22:33
Magic Ball Master

The Euro lost a lot of its stregth in the current crisis, not much cheaper now. Though I made a bargain by importing a DS game from the UK, £11 were slightly cheaper than 25€.
Old 2009-02-17, 20:04
Classic

Joss Whedon wants to switch to Internet Distribution;

http://io9.com/5154694/joss-whedon-done-with-television

Utterly fantastic news.

The Networks should be getting very scared now.
Big name writters switching to work online and keep most of the %% is sure to start a chain reaction.
Sure, the networks can still profit from Reality crap, but theres no aftermarker in that stuff, so their revenue is going to go down preportionately.

Nice, Whedon also has positive words about fanfilms, specific Star Trek New Voyages/Phase Two:

Quote:
It was probably the best episode of the original Star Trek I'd ever seen. The only [bad] part of it was that the special effects were a little too good. Apart from that they really aped the camera work, the acting, the story structures and the over-quoting of Shakespeare. And it worked tremendously.
Old 2009-02-18, 03:38

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Nah, I agree more with this person's post from the Joss news report:

Quote:
I don't see this as good news at all. A talent like Whedon deserves to get whatever the heck he wants on TV. He's one of the genre greats, arguably better than Rod Serling. I don't understand why he hasn't hooked up with the CW, or Showtime, or even the damned Sci-fi Channel. Fox has treated him horribly, and he keeps going back like an abused girlfriend who thinks her man can change. There are many other options short of just going online. Online is great... But we won't see the next "Buffy" there. Dr. Horrible, as great as it, is a smaller, cheaper, funky little thing... And I think Joss has another Buffy-size classic in him.
Joss goes to Fox again, has an utterly terrible experience, and concludes that he's done with television. Why in fact did he not go to something like the Sci-Fi channel?
Old 2009-02-18, 09:52
Classic

Because the Sci-Fi channel is mostly shit reality TV these days with little money to invest in anything? They pretty much have pinned all their hopes on the next Stargate series, they got nothing else.

While CW and Showtime are considerable better it dosnt get around the fact that you write for them you only get a tiny fraction of what your writting earns them, and you hand over complete creative rights. Whedon can't do anything with Buffy without Fox involved ever. He can do what he likes with Horrible.

Also, I dont see any logic at all in saying something like Buffy can't happen online.
In fact, Id say Dr Horrible was visualy a hell of a lot better looking and more profesional then the first eppisodes of Buffy. To me theres more potential in Horrible from the first 1 then there was from what we first saw of Buffy.
Great quality dosnt need a great budget.