Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2007-07-15, 16:09
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
A nice poster. (Piracy/DVD related)

I couldn't possible agree more.

http://broken-tv.blogspot.com/2007/0...since-and.html

I particularly like;

Quote:
The reason this is the case is that, from our extensive research, we know that many people who buy counterfeit products also buy legitimate products. Therefore, the placement of anti-piracy trailers on legitimate DVDs is still an essential way of targeting those who also buy pirated copies.
--Their excuse.

Counter argument;

Quote:
As for us? Well, we've noticed that a lot of child abusers tend to drive cars. With that in mind, we've decided to lobby Parliament and the motor industry into introducing a new measure. With any luck, from next year, every time you start the engine of your car, you will be forced to listen to a graphic three minute speech about child abuse before you can actually go anywhere. Don't like the sound of that? Tough shit, it's for the greater good.
Old 2007-07-15, 16:24
You what?!

I like the counter argument.

Those anti-pirate ads never bothered me much though tbh.
Old 2007-07-15, 16:36
!!!!!

Related Weird Al clip:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...42035906402031

Theft != Software Piracy

I hate it when people abuse emotionally-charged words.
Old 2007-07-15, 17:24
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Obviously someone have calculated that in the end they are going to make profit on having those videos with annoying anti-piracy propaganda. So there is no reason to take it off unless people boycott those movies.

For me, I don't give the slightest since I almost never watch movies, and never ever rent or borrow movies that contain more material than just the movie, I just download.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2007-07-15, 19:42
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
LOL super argument also, I didn't know those ads were present even in the legal DVDs
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2007-07-15, 20:46
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch View Post
LOL super argument also, I didn't know those ads were present even in the legal DVDs
It's not like they have control over illegal DVDs
Old 2007-07-15, 21:26
Master of Science & Magic

I once has to clean the DVD after watching half a movie, after that I had to wait for those damn anti piravy crap for a couple of minutes before continueing the movie
Old 2007-07-15, 21:36
Twinsunian Quetch

the thing I hate the most is the black & white transition ( some DVDs have that )
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2007-07-15, 21:55
Magic Ball Master

That's only with DVD screeners which no one except some film critics get to see. We're talking about legal retail DVDs here.
Old 2007-07-15, 22:03
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post

Those anti-pirate ads never bothered me much though tbh.
Really? Even unskipable ones on DVDs you have paid for?!!

Quote:
Obviously someone have calculated that in the end they are going to make profit on having those videos with annoying anti-piracy propaganda. So there is no reason to take it off unless people boycott those movies.
Exactly.
Everytime I see one i feel like writting to the publisher and telling them I am giving 10 copys to random people

Quote:
For me, I don't give the slightest since I almost never watch movies, and never ever rent or borrow movies that contain more material than just the movie, I just download.
...unfortuntely, your boycott isnt worth much then

Personaly, when I enjoy a movie, tv show, or game I feel very much in the wrong if I dont pay for it.
I dont care if its theft or not, but If I didnt pay for say...Lost, Paprika, PrisonBreak, My Name is Earl, or any of the ghibli films then I would feel very much moraly wrong.
By paying for stufff I enjoy I reward the creators, and encourage more stuff like it to be made.

DVD sales factor hugely into renewal choices these days. (eg, Futurama, Family Guy ect).

What annoys me extremely about these stupid piracy ad's is a boycut wouldnt just hurt the publisher, but the creators too
Publishers and Distributors can, frankly, go fuck themselfs.

But I want the creators to get rewarded for making stuff I love

The sooner we cut out the middle men the better, imho.
Old 2007-07-15, 22:23
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Personaly, when I enjoy a movie, tv show, or game I feel very much in the wrong if I dont pay for it.
I dont care if its theft or not, but If I didnt pay for say...Lost, Paprika, PrisonBreak, My Name is Earl, or any of the ghibli films then I would feel very much moraly wrong.
By paying for stufff I enjoy I reward the creators, and encourage more stuff like it to be made.
Exactly.

More people should have your attitude - and the first step in achieving that is treating people (costumers or not) respectfully.

That means mainly 2 things:
  1. Don't make piracy illegal - a law which can't be enforced will only make people more defensive and keen to break it. Give people a choice, officially.
  2. Don't abuse words - Theft is not Piracy. Talk to people as if they're intelligent and they will become intelligent. Educate by being straight, not by scaring and misinforming.
Old 2007-07-15, 23:00
You what?!

Quote:
Really? Even unskipable ones on DVDs you have paid for?!!
Let's review; they're not exactly that long, and when I'm gonna watch a movie, I usually put the DVD in the player then get ready, grab the popcorn/drinks etc. I watch most movies with people as well so I have to gather everyone up.

Quote:
Right with you. I get a lot of my music from friends, copied CDs, flash drives, the usual stuff, and if I am really impressed with something I will actually go out and pay for it, despite the fact I already have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
More people should have your attitude...
Like me.

Quote:
That means mainly 2 things:
  1. Don't make piracy illegal - a law which can't be enforced will only make people more defensive and keen to break it. Give people a choice, officially.
I'm sorry, but it is theft, and on a massive scale! (depending on how the pirate movie is obtained of course,) They take the copies of the movies which are not theirs to own, and then distribute it to other, making profit for themselves.

It can't be easily enforced, but neither can a lot of things, like the latest smoking ban. I think saying that people will want to do something more because it is illegal is rubbish; it puts a lot of people off, just in case.
Old 2007-07-16, 01:16
!!!!!

Quote:
I'm sorry, but it is theft, and on a massive scale! (depending on how the pirate movie is obtained of course,) They take the copies of the movies which are not theirs to own, and then distribute it to other, making profit for themselves.
No. It is NOT theft. I'm sorry, but this is important. Theft (taking AWAY something physical from someone) is a different crime than copyright infraction (USING "metal property" without paying money to its legal owner).
It might seem trivial, but this is important.
Before you go right ahead and try to dismiss me, please take a few minutes to think about that.
Quote:
It can't be easily enforced, but neither can a lot of things, like the latest smoking ban. I think saying that people will want to do something more because it is illegal is rubbish; it puts a lot of people off, just in case.
I'm not talking in theory. In *practice*, no one gives a shit about this law except for people who are too misinformed so to think that breaking this law in itself will make them suffer for it one way or another.
If you recommend it instead of trying to scare people, they might actually listen to you.
Old 2007-07-16, 09:54

Well, here it's first the copyright disclaimer (unskippable), then some lame anti-piracy ad that lasts up to minutes (also unskippable).
After that comes movie content, I once even rented a DVD that had an unskippable preview of a movie.

The new "filmwereld.net" ads they show in .nl are aweful, they really last a couple of minutes or something..
Old 2007-07-16, 12:52
Twinsunian Quetch

how can they be unskippable ??? can't u set the bar forward ?
Old 2007-07-16, 13:04

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_operation_prohibition

btw, this is the filmwereld.net crap they are including these days on Dutch DVDs. And it's usually unskippable.
Old 2007-07-16, 13:38
Twinsunian Quetch

dang !!! how long is such a part ??? I'd go freakin' crazy u know
Old 2007-07-16, 13:50

well.. that thing is 41 seconds, and I guess the copyright notice is about 15 seconds, including loading o the menu I would say over a minute until you see the movie.
Old 2007-07-16, 16:54
You what?!

Quote:
No. It is NOT theft. I'm sorry, but this is important. Theft (taking AWAY something physical from someone) is a different crime than copyright infraction (USING "metal property" without paying money to its legal owner).
Of course, I understand what you're saying, but sometimes the actual DVD of the movie is stolen and then copied and sold. You get some really good quality sometimes, which would not be possible by taking a little camera in and filming the whole thing from the back...
Old 2007-07-16, 16:56
Twinsunian Quetch

oh ... well that's bareable I guess
Old 2007-07-16, 16:58
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch View Post
dang !!! how long is such a part ??? I'd go freakin' crazy u know
are me and el the only one who get this?
Old 2007-07-16, 17:59
Twinsunian Quetch

lol the way I said it was odd indeed sorry
Old 2007-07-16, 18:03
Do the evolution.

There was an old joke, in the times of the martial law, when you couldn't produce alcohol by yourself, and an old Highlander had all the tools needed to make alcohol, but he didn't used them, and when the police known about that, they wanted to sue him; he said "why? I'm not using them!", the reply was "but you have the means!", so he said:

"Then sue me for rape while you're at it, becouse I've got the damn tools!"
Old 2007-07-16, 18:22
Twinsunian Quetch

Anyway, I really don't see how this will stop piracy ... in fact it will make us even more angry and refuse to buy the damn things

Jasiek, did u get the 3dgs-related PM ???
Old 2007-07-16, 20:40
Classic

Quote:
No. It is NOT theft. I'm sorry, but this is important. Theft (taking AWAY something physical from someone)
Well, this is why I said it dosnt mater what you call it.

Because, you can view it very much as taking away something from someone....or not.
It all depends on semantics and definitions.

Think of it this way;

If I make something digitaly for 10 people. 10 people pay me, and that gives me money to make the next.

However, if one of them pays me, copys it, and gives it to the other 9, then I dont have any money, and cant make any more.

Nothing has been stolen physically,at not one point has anything been "taken"
Yet the effect is identical.
I have lost out, others have gained.

So I see little point arguing over what its called.

Quote:
If you recommend it instead of trying to scare people, they might actually listen to you.
Very true.
That goes for a lot of things.

Quote:
Let's review; they're not exactly that long, and when I'm gonna watch a movie, I usually put the DVD in the player then get ready, grab the popcorn/drinks etc. I watch most movies with people as well so I have to gather everyone up.
You have more patients then me. I find the whole room of people gets pissed of when viewing with friends.