Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2008-03-06, 23:10
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
US blacklisting domain names. (all internet users should read...)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/04/us...prod=permalink

Quite scary really.
This effects the majority of internet users, US or not.
Old 2008-03-06, 23:34
Do the evolution.

Yeah.... that country's got more and more sick ideas... Suddenly I'm hoping Obama to win... to clear all that "safety before freedom" bullshit.
Old 2008-03-06, 23:35
You what?!

All seems very strange, and doesn't make a lot of sense.
They do have some sort of unclear reason for shutting him down, but it's not a very good one in my opinion.
Although I suppose there will always be people trying to control the internet.
It's a very free place!
Old 2008-03-07, 00:16
Do the evolution.

Actually the shocking part is the freedom that agency has. Normally, you'd have to file in a complaint on the site being against the law, and that would go on trial. That's how it should be done...
Old 2008-03-07, 07:57
!!!!!

Wtf... US blocked access to a UK website because it offers travel deals to Cuba? (did I get it right?)

Doesn't matter what the reason is, once it goes public, information should not be blocked... it's wrong.

Go Freenet!
Old 2008-03-07, 11:02
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Wtf... US blocked access to a UK website because it offers travel deals to Cuba? (did I get it right?)
Yes, includeing the sites that had nothing to do with going to cuba, but were owned by the same person that did have sites about going there.

Frankly, I'm shocked enough that US citizens arnt allowed to visit O_o
I mean, I knew there was an embargo, but I thought it was just trade relations.

Quote:
Go Freenet!
In think in this case its more "Go OpenDNS"

Not a solution though in either case, the average joe wouldnt even know it was blocked, looks just like a 404.
Theres a serious problem here as it shows that, despite there being a few other dns severs, the US can effectively block access to sites for the majority of web users worldwide without even a court case.

Really, govements in non-us countries should be looking for a solution asap.
Old 2008-03-07, 15:31
Magic Ball Master

I always get the impression that the US think they can control the world and play police everywhere. While having plently of problems themselves which in turn can't be attacked by anyone, as no US citizen can be drawn to an international court.
Old 2008-03-07, 17:57
!!!!!

You have to understand, because too many people don't - "US think they can own the world" is a childish thing to say.

What is "US"? The US government? What is the US government? It's composed of people. When it comes down to it it's all just a power play.

It goes like this:
1. Only the people who are hungry for power can get to positions of power. (Unfortunately, that's the reality on Planet Earth)
2. The people in position of power are hungry for power - they want more power, more control.
3. US government happen to have power, so naturally they try to gain more power by controlling other countries.

It's sad, it's annoying, but it's NATURAL. And if another country was powerful instead of the US they would have done exactly the same. Pure and simple.

So saying "they are BAD people" won't do any good, in fact, it's pure whining. The solution is to raise awareness of the problem, to protest, and - in the bottom line - to have the people in power realize they are in danger of loosing power if they keep doing it.

Another, even more effective solution, is to develop technology that has no one center of control, such as Freenet.

So stop bitching and try to find solutions, people are not REALLY divided by countries, it's just one way to categorize them.
Old 2008-03-07, 18:25
the hobbits to Otringal

On topic or not i noticed this message on youtube lately: "This video is not available in your country."...while last time i looked i was living in the Netherlands.

No idea what that is about.

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225
Old 2008-03-07, 20:32
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
You have to understand, because too many people don't - "US think they can own the world" is a childish thing to say.

What is "US"? The US government? What is the US government? It's composed of people. When it comes down to it it's all just a power play.
That's why I get the impression was important in my post.
Old 2008-03-07, 20:37
!!!!!

Sorry, I didn't mean to direct the post at you Kobold (even if you brought up the subject).
It was more directed to "you" as the reader of the post, whoever you might be.
Old 2008-03-07, 23:16
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
On topic or not i noticed this message on youtube lately: "This video is not available in your country."...while last time i looked i was living in the Netherlands.

No idea what that is about.
oh, thats just the big media corps silly us-only rules for internet distro of their shows. Its lisenceing crap.

Its wrong, but no where near as wrong as what the tresurey is doing.

Quote:
So stop bitching and try to find solutions, people are not REALLY divided by countries, it's just one way to categorize them.
very true.
Old 2008-03-08, 00:33
the hobbits to Otringal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
oh, thats just the big media corps silly us-only rules for internet distro of their shows. Its lisenceing crap.

Its wrong, but no where near as wrong as what the tresurey is doing.
Aha didnt realize youtube/google had sunken that far. Soon enouf we will have the internets divided by fascist corporate monarchies.

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225
Old 2008-03-08, 00:37
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
Aha didnt realize youtube/google had sunken that far. Soon enouf we will have the internets divided by fascist corporate monarchies.
You can get past that by using some proxy server I think. And yeah, seeing things like that makes me as angry as hearing about "regions" with dvd's - wich I don't really care about... using MPC and VideoLan...
Old 2008-03-08, 00:49
the hobbits to Otringal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
You can get past that by using some proxy server I think. And yeah, seeing things like that makes me as angry as hearing about "regions" with dvd's - wich I don't really care about... using MPC and VideoLan...
Yes in our days you can still use all kinds of proxy servers.

Future looks like its the old world biting the new to pieces, like history all over again.

Old 2008-03-08, 01:36
Classic

free proxis that support flash or java are very very rare.

Its also not really google's fault. Its legal crap at the media corps end.
When it comes to anything from any of the major us networks. (of which there are 7 which own, like,everything). See, say, Hulu or ABC's online sites. (those, however, I find ways to get around).

From googles perspective , tts either US-only, or no content from them.

And yeah, DVD regions suck. (unskipable adverts too).
This is why I am annoyed that HDDVD has given up. I wasnt a fan of either disc format, but at least HDDVD was region free.
Old 2008-03-08, 01:59
Do the evolution.

Well, to be honest, discs are a shitty idea in the modern days, even if blueray can reach upto 200gb (and they have discs like that in labs), what's the point? We have great compression methods and we can pack a HD movie, with different languages present in under 4gb!

But no! Let's have raw, uncompressed media out there, so that the evil internets people can't share them around!

ALL media, should be made with the sole purpose of easiness of Internet sharing. People should see blueray for what it is, and boycott it, in favor of better compression methods.
Old 2008-03-08, 02:42
Classic

Quote:
even if blueray can reach upto 200gb (and they have discs like that in labs)
Not bluray though, thats optical holographic techniques. Different line of technique.
At least, what I heard.
A drive bought today certainly wouldn't play it whatever, so theoretical disc space is a bit silly.

Quote:
But no! Let's have raw, uncompressed media out there, so that the evil Internets people can't share them around!
Heck yeah. See Metal Gear Solid 4.
"We don't have enough space! We cant give you Japanese voices in mp3, because we used up all the space with uncompressed audio!".

Quote:
ALL media, should be made with the sole purpose of easiness of Internet sharing. People should see blueray for what it is, and boycott it, in favor of better compression methods.
Not to mention that with todays wonderful processing power, fractal and procedural techniques allow incredibly quality textures in mere kilobytes.
The especial irony is the cell chip would be good at this parralla image manipulation.
Old 2008-03-17, 18:32
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
Quote:
1. Only the people who are hungry for power can get to positions of power. (Unfortunately, that's the reality on Planet Earth)
I don't see why that is bad. Of course you are "hungry for power" if you want to change something political - without power you can't change it.

But I guess that you meant that "power corrupts", and that is true. That is why democracy is the best way of governing.

Quote:
Suddenly I'm hoping Obama to win... to clear all that "safety before freedom" bullshit.
..And with it, you get a French trade policy... On the other hand, any of the remaining candidates (except Ron Paul, who actually still is in the race) would be better than the guy we have now.
Old 2008-03-17, 18:50
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Sweden View Post
I don't see why that is bad. Of course you are "hungry for power" if you want to change something political - without power you can't change it.

But I guess that you meant that "power corrupts", and that is true. That is why democracy is the best way of governing.
That's true, but what I meant is that being "hungry for power" usually comes together with a set of morals which allows you to take power from other people, for example the right to privacy.
Old 2008-03-17, 22:02
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Sweden View Post
I think that people who really want power, are never or rarely suitable to weild it. The best leaders come from thight situations, when it is their traits, that make them leaders.

I really dislike "political activists", they do not have the humility a real politician should have.
Old 2008-03-17, 22:53
!!!!!

"Politician" and "Humility" are contradicting terms.
Old 2008-03-17, 22:55
Classic

I think most people that want power, want to do good with it, even if they are horribly unsuitable. Power for the sake of power is meaningless.

I guess the key is people that want the power to effect the changes they want, but dont want the power in general except to effect those changes.
Old 2008-03-17, 23:00
!!!!!

Are the CEOs of the tv networks want to "do something good with it"? Just a recent example. I'm pretty sure most people with lots of power don't really have "doing good" on their mindset. Because most people with lots of power get to their position using their selfishness.
Old 2008-03-17, 23:00
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
"Politician" and "Humility" are contradicting terms.
Oh, our chancellor says that the politicians should show humility towards the voter. By politicians she means those who make politics in our country, I guess. She doesn't, no inner politics at all, she's just abroad. There are already speculations that she does it so that people here don't associate her with politics, and ensure her a re-election the easy way.