Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2008-10-27, 00:48
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Well, anyway, we need real votes this time, and as many as possible.
Old 2008-10-27, 01:29
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
This is a company that sales old games online asking directly for what games other people will like to see in their catalogue.

Why would they be asking this without the intention of seaking out as many of the top-ranking games as possible to put in their system?

This is exactly why they are asking.
They want to know what classic games..what "good old games"...people would like to still have availible.

Thats not to say everything they want they will get, but having them trying to get LBA published online is certainly a very diserable thing for us.
Old 2008-10-27, 01:32
!!!!!

Btw I voted for Alley Cat, an IBM game from 1984, which I'm pretty sure is abandonware by now... I'd like to see them claim money for that.
Old 2008-10-27, 03:45
LOLwut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Btw I voted for Alley Cat, an IBM game from 1984, which I'm pretty sure is abandonware by now... I'd like to see them claim money for that.
I played that game too!

It's lovely. I laugh to death at the "fight!" sound (Against the dog)

---------------------

I Voted!

We have more votes than Myst!!!

Side note: Don't forget to vote for Time Commando too!

Last edited by RGaspar; 2008-10-27 at 03:52.
Old 2008-10-27, 09:23
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Thats not to say everything they want they will get, but having them trying to get LBA published online is certainly a very diserable thing for us.
Why? Increment in LBA interest -> Increment in LBA3 interest -> LBA3 more likely to get produced.

Or how do you figure?

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2008-10-27, 12:55
Polly parrot

If I understood well : 1-we vote for LBA on that site
2-people will be able to buy it
3-the more people buy it, the more will like to see LBA 3
4-LBA 3 is created ?

LET'S VOTE THEN !!!
Old 2008-10-27, 12:56
Classic

Yes, thats our ultimate goal, but also simply we can recomend the game and people can have somewhere to download it is a good thing in itself.
We are fans of these games, so its nice if we can have a legal (but cheap) way to spread them about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBall2K View Post
Yeah that's what I was aiming for, it's just that you presented it in the beginning like if we vote it would surely appear on the website, like they have rights for all the games in the world.
No one believes they have the rights for every game in the world, but every game they have got so far published they had to have aquired the rights too.

And frankly, many of those games are a hell of a lot valuable rights then LBA is at the moment.
I see no reason at all why good-old-games couldnt aquire the rights to LBA if they desired.

Quote:
Side note: Don't forget to vote for Time Commando too!
Good point, I never played that myself.
Old 2008-10-27, 13:01
Polly parrot

Quote:
Yes, thats our ultimate goal, but also simply we can recomend the game and people can have somewhere to download it is a good thing in itself.
We are fans of these games, so its nice if we can have a legal (but cheap) way to spread them about.

... but the net is full of sites like this : http://localhost/Little_Big_Adventure

where you can download old pc games for free...

There isn't even one of them which is legual ?

Last edited by elmuerte; 2008-10-27 at 20:06.
Old 2008-10-27, 15:06
Classic

Of course they arnt legal.
LBA isnt freeware, and the publishers nor developers are getting anything from that deal.
ergo, its not legal.

There is an unofficial illegal practice of having things called "abandoneware",where it is seen as ok to put games up for download where no profit is being made anymore with that game. This may be moraly ok, but sadly it isnt legaly so.

(Its also worth pointing out a lot of those sites have ripped copys to save filespace, and thus have inferiour music...the copy you linked too is probably the floopy disk version! So no FMV either! )

We need a system where its cheap and legal. Where we can advertise the link freely around without fear of getting into trouble that way.
We can also use the link, or statistics in any arguments to publishers.

Above all else, we can show that great old games like LBA are still worth something.
Old 2008-10-27, 17:45
The return of

Gog is ok, however, imo it would be far better if LBA were released for the DS, or as part of a larger online publisher (steam/xbox live etc...). These would truely make an impact, as opposed to gog which may or may not sell a few hundred copies at most.
Old 2008-10-27, 22:33
Classic

err...Gog can just release a game though, what your suggesting would require complete recodeing.
A port to the DS would be lovely, as would Xbox/Wii/PSN, but it would require a budget.

As for steam, possible, but steam dosnt go out of its way to get games, let alone old ones. (And steam requires DRM).

GOG is looking for games, they are seaking out rights holders and putting games they can up for sale.

Once its on GoG there will be hope of getting it on other things, but GoG is our lowest, and thus easiest first step. If we cant do GoG, we certainly wont get anywhere with Steam or anything else.

I'd also hugely dispute this;

Quote:
gog which may or may not sell a few hundred copies at most.
Gog only launched in the last few weeks, its potential is completely unknown.
Personaly, I think they could be extremely successfull. They sale stuff steam dosnt, they fix games up to work on modern OS's, and they sale them cheap with no DRM.
LBA's sales could grow with them.
Old 2008-10-28, 07:41
The return of

the fact that gog is new is the single biggest reason i wouldnt trust it. That and if lba is on gog, the others sure as hell wont take it on, its already for sale elsewhere!

Not to mention, for a game to sell, it needs an advertising campaign. The previous lbas suffered in part from them being badly marketed/advertised. Gog would do it no justice.
Old 2008-10-28, 16:21
Classic

GoG is a new online publisher, but has been publishing physical games for a long time before that.
Its trustworthy. Look at the games already on it. You wouldnt see Fallout sold there if they wernt legit, they would be sued within minutes.
Ditto for any big currently-active franchise.

Quote:
That and if lba is on gog, the others sure as hell wont take it on, its already for sale elsewhere!
Steam dosnt sale any old games, if you have a plan for getting them to sale LBA, let me know it, because it seems to me your dismissing an easy target for a near-impossible one. Steam arnt asking for games at all. They dont seak them out, at all.
Steam also, I add, dosnt do advertising.

GoG, Steam, iTunes, XboxLive....they are distribution platforms, its not their job to advertise what people distribute on it. A rolling banner advert on their own site is about all you get out of any of them.

Its *our* job to advertise the game, as we are basicaly the only party that values the game at the moment. We might perswade others to pay for adverts once we can show it can still be a popular game.

I have queried GoG about if games sold with them are under exclusive contract, but I dought it is the case. Steam certainly dosnt mind saleing games that are also sold elsewhere. (like, for instance, Darwinia).

I really am dissapointed in your attitude Axx.
Your looking a gift-horse in the mouth by turning your nose up at GoG.

As I said, if you have some method or plan to get someone to pay for an LBA advertising campagn be my guest...more is certainly better....but imho, this is by far and away the best hope we have at the moment of getting the game availible.

I also, might point out GoG currently small userbase is too our advantage.

eg,

LBA1/2 has around 250 votes.......most of which probably didnt come from this forum.

The current highest ranking game on the wishlist has 2200 votes.

Really,that difference isnt much at all.
We can beat that if we put effort in.
If the same servay was done on Steam, we would be dealing with 200,000 vs 2000....a much harder difference to make up.

We dont even need to be number1, if we can just get LBA in the top rankings...which should *easily* be possible, we could then do a small email campagn to nudge GoG further.
These people have experience in tracking down game lisences, we dont.

We should;

a) Put an advert on the main forum pages getting people to vote.

b) Seak out more LBA groups (on other forums, on facebook, on other little bits on the net) and tell them to do the same.

I think there is easily another 3000 votes we can get from LBA fans, theres a heck of a lot more out there then there is active users here.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2008-10-28 at 16:27.
Old 2008-10-29, 17:56
The return of

Quote:
GoG is a new online publisher, but has been publishing physical games for a long time before that.
Its trustworthy. Look at the games already on it. You wouldnt see Fallout sold there if they wernt legit, they would be sued within minutes.
Ditto for any big currently-active franchise.
I'd be interested in knowing which games they've published

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
Steam dosnt sale any old games, if you have a plan for getting them to sale LBA, let me know it, because it seems to me your dismissing an easy target for a near-impossible one. Steam arnt asking for games at all. They dont seak them out, at all.
Steam also, I add, dosnt do advertising.
It's not that I am particularly interested in seeing LBA on steam, but that from what Ive seen, small niche games get sold to a very large audience via steam/xbox live as a result of the front page advertisments. It might seem like its just one page, but its still been exposed to millions of gamers, even if it is only subconcience.

I can't remember the name of a game on steam that I played, something like you have a music track that creates this crazy race track, where you catch colored blocks. But it was quite a success as a result of one of those one page ads, despite being quite a simple game.

Quote:
Its *our* job to advertise the game, as we are basicaly the only party that values the game at the moment. We might perswade others to pay for adverts once we can show it can still be a popular game.

I have queried GoG about if games sold with them are under exclusive contract, but I dought it is the case. Steam certainly dosnt mind saleing games that are also sold elsewhere. (like, for instance, Darwinia).
We are a small community, the majority of whom have little hope/motivation to advertise anything. As a group were failing to achieve the goal of an lba3. Yes, your motivated, so are some of the others, but on the whole the rest of the forum is quite uninteristed, the response to this thread sort of highlights that.

Quote:
I really am dissapointed in your attitude Axx.
Your looking a gift-horse in the mouth by turning your nose up at GoG.
Take it easy, I would more than love for lba to be a damned huge success. I just think that there are other paths. Ultimatly, i may be wrong, or i may be right, but i dont decide anything, Fred/Paul do.

Quote:
As I said, if you have some method or plan to get someone to pay for an LBA advertising campagn be my guest...more is certainly better....but imho, this is by far and away the best hope we have at the moment of getting the game availible.
I have no method or plan, and very little influence. That is what im hoping to change soon.

I agree we could far more easily get lba on gog, but i still hardly see how that will ultimatly pave the way for lba3.

Quote:
We should;

a) Put an advert on the main forum pages getting people to vote.

b) Seak out more LBA groups (on other forums, on facebook, on other little bits on the net) and tell them to do the same.

I think there is easily another 3000 votes we can get from LBA fans, theres a heck of a lot more out there then there is active users here.
Yes, we should try that path. Simply because, gog's interest would be a good starting point for Fred/Didier/Paul to realise there still is an interest, and then they can purse something more lavish. And with freds influence in france, that shouldn't be too difficult. Adeline reincarnate (post 2003) managed to get it approved. Shame it never went through with it due to Delphine liquidation.
Old 2008-10-29, 19:30
Bamboo

Send a message via MSN to Jareth
So, it's time for me to say something.

Primo:

Yes, there are old games on Steam. Maybe not many, but there are, for example Abe's Oddysey or Abe's Exodus. But like Darkflame said, it's better for us to start the "race" with GoG, because it's easier to achieve our goal to promote LBA.

Secundo:

If we try, we can get that damn 2000 or more, it only depends on us. We can get people from http://www.planeta-twinsun.cba.pl/ and I have many friends, who like LBA and I think, that they will be happy to be able to buy it(most of them like original games, not cracked or whatelse). There are of course other people in various groups.

Tertio:

We have to fight, with strong will, we can get what we want.

That's all from me. Maybe I don't write on the forum so often, but I still read it every day and I really want to be able to buy LBA on the net.
Old 2008-10-30, 01:46
Magic Ball Master

Why do you guys presume people playing LBA results in people liking LBA ?

I can imagine people playing LBA1 disliking it cause of it's difficulty combined with the saving system.

On the whole though, all publicity is good publicity.

Also, I have hard to see what a release on GoG will lead to on the LBA3 release front. Can we even see the number of purchases people have done for the LBA games?

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2008-10-31, 12:21
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Send a message via MSN to proto-pack Send a message via Yahoo to proto-pack
OH YES!!

They were the 2 greatest clicks of my life!

Vote for lba on good old games!

http://www.gog.com/en/wishlist/

Watch my video about it!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=P4dZH7Mmdno

Multi bunny owns!
(\__/)
(O.O )
(> < )
Old 2008-10-31, 15:09
Classic

Quote:
Why do you guys presume people playing LBA results in people liking LBA ?
Target the right groups.

I fully believe that, say, 90% of Zelda or Beyond Good and Evil players would enjoy LBA if they give it a chance.
Remember, the investment here is very low $5-10 really isnt that much.

Not everyone will enjoy LBA, but i think the vaste majority of action-adventures lovers will.

Also, theres a lot of existing fans out there that might have lost their copys.
This would help reawaken interest.

So its not all about getting new people.

Quote:
Can we even see the number of purchases people have done for the LBA games?
To be honest, I have no idea.
But LBA1 sales must have been big enough to justify LBA2 (as well as its fairly large advertising campagn).

Quote:
I'd be interested in knowing which games they've published
The Witcher
http://kotaku.com/5023950/cd-projekt...games-drm+free

Quote:
It's not that I am particularly interested in seeing LBA on steam, but that from what Ive seen, small niche games get sold to a very large audience via steam/xbox live as a result of the front page advertisments. It might seem like its just one page, but its still been exposed to millions of gamers, even if it is only subconcience.
Well, certainly, its a huge audience we have to capture.
I just dont think its the first step

Quote:
We are a small community, the majority of whom have little hope/motivation to advertise anything. As a group were failing to achieve the goal of an lba3. Yes, your motivated, so are some of the others, but on the whole the rest of the forum is quite uninteristed, the response to this thread sort of highlights that.
Well, sure, which is why I think an easier target might help people see we CAN make a difference.
If we can have a sold success, it will help nearly everything else.

Quote:
I agree we could far more easily get lba on gog, but i still hardly see how that will ultimatly pave the way for lba3.
Its a step in the right direction.
In the last campagn I did get a fair bit of interest from people that wanted to play LBA.
Saying "Its just $5, download here" is a tad nicer then "its not sold anymore, look on the torrents"
It gives us a more legitmate starting point.

As GoG grows so will LBA's sales. Not massively, but I think enough to show theres still some interest. And I think that will help more on to other targets...like Steam.

One thing of benefit to LBA is Action/Adventure games are really quite rare.
It could fairly easily I feel be the most downloaded game in that genre on GoG.

I think though, above all else, I feel that GoG has more expirence in things we do not.
I think they stand a bigger chance of getting LBA's lisence worked out then we do.
Its harder for us to call up, say, EA, and try to get permision to sale.
But they probably have expirence already.
Old 2008-10-31, 15:11
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareth View Post

Secundo:

If we try, we can get that damn 2000 or more, it only depends on us. We can get people from http://www.planeta-twinsun.cba.pl/ and I have many friends, who like LBA and I think, that they will be happy to be able to buy it(most of them like original games, not cracked or whatelse). There are of course other people in various groups.
Thats a very good idea!
Can you do that?

I'm going to start going around BG&E forums, as well as other gaming groups I have contact with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareth View Post
Tertio:

We have to fight, with strong will, we can get what we want.

That's all from me. Maybe I don't write on the forum so often, but I still read it every day and I really want to be able to buy LBA on the net.
Thats exactly it!
Its all about having the will and the motivation.
Old 2008-10-31, 15:45
Bamboo

Send a message via MSN to Jareth
Yeah! So, I'll get people from Planeta-Twinsun and tell them to vote. Also, I'll get my friends to vote.

EDIT:

Ok, there is already a thread with GoG mentioned there, but it didn't take a huge popularity. I've posted to start voting and to get other forums and people to vote. Now, we must find other LBA groups.

I'll talk with Planeta-Twinsun's admin to post the voting link on the main page. Maybe it'll work.

EDIT2:

Ok, I've sent a message to the administrator for posting the link on the forum and homepage. I'll post, when the answer come.

Last edited by Jareth; 2008-10-31 at 16:03.
Old 2008-10-31, 17:45
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkflame
To be honest, I have no idea.
But LBA1 sales must have been big enough to justify LBA2 (as well as its fairly large advertising campagn).
I meant for the gog site.

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2008-10-31, 18:48
Classic

You mean when LBA is sold if we can see how many sales it gets?
Dont know. I think its possible, but we might have to ask.
They are still in beta, so I dont know what stats will be visible in the final version.
---
Jareth - good work

Heres some more ideas people can do;

Gallery Websites - I just commented on about 50 LBA pictures on deviant art, making sure to mention the wishlist &or put it in my sig.
When browsing LBA artwork on deviant art, its really pleaseing to see LBA still has a HUGE fanbase not on the forum. Normaly under LBA pics you get remarks like
"oh, I used to love those games!" or "I remember that! That was a great game"
Theres plenty of old fans about

Basicaly I searched for "Little Big Adventure" and replied on just about anything.
I'll do searchs for Twinsen/Relentless tommorow.

If people are active on other gallery sites, I urge you to do the same.
Just as you comment on artwork, mention the wishlist.
(so, sites like Renderosity and such too).

Post Artwork - Like above, but if theres any LBA artwork to make or post, mention the link at the same time.
For instance, we could make some concept LBA covers for the ideas in this thread;
http://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=14149
Then post on renderosity,devientart as well as www.vgboxart.com (which is specialy for fan game covers)

The good thing about image gallerys is anyone that searchs for LBA at any time will be informed about the campagn. Theres no time limit as such.

Social networks - Myspace,facebook etc. Find LBA groups or adventure game groups, and ask nicely to vote to support our game

Last edited by Darkflame; 2008-10-31 at 18:58.
Old 2008-11-01, 17:01
Classic

Phwee..

Ok, I think I just commented on every LBA related picture on deviant art
That should at least get some "slow burning" attention to the wishlist.

I was very tempted to start PMing people that replied to LBA artwork mentioning they liked the game, but decided against it as it might be seen as spaming.

Come on folks, we got a lot of work left to do
Old 2008-11-01, 22:33
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Send a message via MSN to proto-pack Send a message via Yahoo to proto-pack
hey should i make a video on youtube about this?

loads of people are on youtube that will see this video and that should get some more

Vote for lba on good old games!

http://www.gog.com/en/wishlist/

Watch my video about it!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=P4dZH7Mmdno

Multi bunny owns!
(\__/)
(O.O )
(> < )
Old 2008-11-01, 23:10
Classic

Not a bad idea.

I must admit I had a bit of a disapointment.
After finding so much LBA artwork on DeviantArt...I looked on renderosity.com and found only one image O_o

I mean, there must be something wrong with their search function, they got over 1 million images there!