Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2009-05-27, 16:54
Magic Ball Master

Oh...sweet...JESUS.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN.com
As detailed in our initial report, the interview is as much a tease as the KojimaProductions teaser site, with the juicy bits censored like a Nixon transcript. This makes it pretty much impossible to understand what's actually being said.

Surprisingly, the opening of the interview lacked the censorship but was still too vague to offer any valuable details. During the opening, Kojima and interviewer Hirokazu Hamamura (Enterbrain's CEO) discussed the teaser site itself.

We'd suggest skipping the following if you actually enjoy being teased by Kojima Productions.

Currently, the teaser site has S (or possibly 5), 3, e, P, E and R. Based on images in the magazine, a future update will see the following added: the letter O or the numeral 0, C, and 6.

Kojima toyed with Hamamura as Hamamura attempted to make some sense out of the numbers. Hamamura pointed to an image from the site and said that it was a "5." To which Kojima responded, "Eh? That looks like a 5?" This could suggest that it's actually an S.

Hamamura also tried to order the number and letter appearances, saying that the countdown starts with a 5 (or S, as it may be), then goes to an E and a 3. Kojima wouldn't confirm that E is actually an E. He did say that the "e" is a lower case letter, suggesting that it is indeed an "e" instead of an "@" symbol or a kanji snake symbol as some have theorized.

This is where the censoring started. Hamamura started a discussion of the P, but most of what he said was blocked off.

Moving on to the first image that appeared at the site, which everyone and their mom assumed to be Big Boss, Kojima noted that the way the teaser site character wears his "XX" is different.

The XX in the above is one of the censored phrases. The magazine actually uses white circles to block individual characters. Here, the two Xs mean that the blocked phrase consists of two characters. They could be numbers, roman characters, Japanese alphabetic characters, or kanji.

To perhaps help clarify, Kojima reminded Hamamura about the time that Hamamura had asked him, "Won't you make Metal Gear?" Kojima recalled having replied at the time, "I won't make XXXX." Here, he noted, "XXXXXX has become XXXX." He also added, "When I told my son that Metal Gear Solid was finished, I was told, 'If XXXXXXXXXXX, it will be really funny. At least don't do that.' (laughter)."

Changing the subject, Kojima became the interviewer and asked Hamamura what expected to be announced at E3.

Hamamura: I think it will be the announcement of "We will do Metal Gear XXXXXXX."

Kojima: Not quite.

Hamamura: Really!?

Kojima: It's just as I'd planned.

Hamamura: Really!? Because, when the thunder sounded and the screen lit up, "5"...

Kojima: It's X.

[remember, "X" is a censored character]

Hamamura: X!? It's different from 5?

Kojima: No. It is XXX. Oh, I might as well say everything. XXX will appear.

Hamamura: Really!

The circle characters become really abundant from this point on, making it almost impossible to translate to English without placing some sort of unintended meaning in the words. Even translated to English, it would probably be impossible to figure out the meaning of anything.

As an example of how bad things get, here's the little passage about the meaning of the teaser site's P:

Kojima: What do you think the P is?

Hamamura: XXXXXXXXXX's XXXXXX?

Kojima: But XXXXXXXXX. It's XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Hamamura: Oh! Of course!

The Famitsu interview with Kojima has four pages of this, with the third and fourth pages being particularly packed with the circle characters. We read through the whole thing over and over again and picked up a number of little bits, like Kojima comparing something about the game to being like Western game development and Kojima suggesting that the game's release won't be too far off. But without the full context, we'll avoid making "solid" statements.

IGN.com: It's a new MGS game, and it stars Raiden (Famitsu)

IT...IS...RAIDEN!!!

Last edited by Double-J; 2009-05-27 at 17:27. Reason: Spoiled
Old 2009-05-27, 16:57
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
If the only "good" stuff on this years E3 is console stuff Im not following it. Tis lame.
Hideo Kojima would like to disagree with you.
Old 2009-05-27, 17:06
Do the evolution.

I played the first two and can't wait for the three and four - when it's ported or the PS emulator gets top notch. It's pointless to buy a few consoles for just a few games, besides I hate to sit in front of the tv.
Old 2009-05-27, 17:13
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
I played the first two and can't wait for the three and four - when it's ported or the PS emulator gets top notch. It's pointless to buy a few consoles for just a few games, besides I hate to sit in front of the tv.
I gotcha. I'm kind of the exact opposite though, I'd rather play on my TV and sit on my comfy leather couch.

Oh, and 4 = so epic.
Old 2009-05-27, 17:16
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Hocking up consoles to PC moniters is fairly easy these days.
(hell, with an XBox you can plug it straight in the VGA socket, and even when you cant do that, capture cards from A/V are pretty cheap)

Also, not quite sure why "Good" is in inverted coma's, given the fact that most of the highest rated games of all time are console-based;
http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html
--
Hasnt Hideo Kojima been trying to stop doing MGS games for the last few now anyway? I'm sure the last was supposed to be his last, and possibly the one before that too. :P

Double-J - Can you tidy up your post a little? The IGN quote is a little long, and I dont think these tease-campagns interesting at all, especialy after its actualy announced. Just spoiler part of it or something.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2009-05-27 at 17:26.
Old 2009-05-27, 17:40
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Hasnt Hideo Kojima been trying to stop doing MGS games for the last few now anyway? I'm sure the last was supposed to be his last, and possibly the one before that too. :P

Double-J - Can you tidy up your post a little? The IGN quote is a little long, and I dont think these tease-campagns interesting at all, especialy after its actualy announced. Just spoiler part of it or something.
I think the problem is he wanted creative freedom. As the series gained popularity, from what I've read, Konami wanted more control, and Kojima rejected it outright (probably why MGS4 is so movie-ish...Kojima had a lot of control). I guess a large part is Konami wanted to enlarge the audience by porting it to other consoles, changing some of the gameplay elements, removing the long cinematic scenes, etc. As long as he has creative control, I doubt he'd care, and will continue the story where feasible.
Old 2009-05-27, 18:11
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Yeah, that would make sense given what I can remember of interviews.
Thanks for the spoiler, makes the thread neater.
--
The Grinder (Wii) -
http://wii.ign.com/articles/986/986663p2.html
Some more information/interview.
I like much of what they say there, but I'm not buying the inteligent-enemys stuff. Heard it far too many times before, and I normaly dont notice a difference.

(apperently the game has upto 65 enemys on screen at once without the framerate dropping much.....we shall see)
The Quantum3 engine definitely looks like the best Wii-engine though. They should lisence it to all the more lazy game studios.

They hint strongly towards motion plus sword-fighting in the game too. Slashing warewolfs with 1:1 movements could be quite fun indeed.
Also they claim more customisable then The Conduit O_o (the Conduit lets you customise everything...the controlls are completely remapable, as well as variable sensativity and interface repositioning)
Certainly a game to watch this one. Not least because online-coperative FPS games are basicaly non-existant on the Wii. (co-op makes everything better, imho )

Dead Space: Extraction - Its a onrails lightgun/shotter prequal to the "proper" game. IGN is trying to perswade us its brillent despite that;
http://wii.ign.com/articles/986/986199p1.html
I never liked onrails stuff personaly. Allthough I am interested how puzzles work with that gameplay, and I do admit its looking nice.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2009-05-27 at 18:16.
Old 2009-05-27, 18:35
Magic Ball Master

Dead Space (PS3) I didn't care for too much although many people were into it. I've never been a fan of survival/horror genre though. I'm glad to hear Wii is getting a taste of it, even if it seems like Wii is the destination for any and all on-rail shooters.
Old 2009-05-27, 18:40
Classic

I wouldnt call it survival/horror anyway. Its just a horror shotter, more like Doom and every other (non-WW2) FPS out there then it is to, say, AitD or SilentHill.

As for the Wii and rail-shotters, yeah.
They sale ok though, so we probably will keep seeing them.

I just get annoyed that they overshadow more complex games without branding to back them up.
Old 2009-05-27, 18:43
!!!!!

Will Heavy Rain come to PC?
Old 2009-05-27, 19:00
Classic

Depends how much its cost them to make.
Officialy its PS3 only,but all the biggest budget games tend to go multiplatform eventualy these days....they cant afford not too.
Old 2009-05-27, 19:26
Do the evolution.

Darkflame most of the good games from that list are for PC anyway(or emulated like Zelda64), rest is crap (tekken, resident-evil, Halo (urgh)...). Also, there is a difference between a good game and one that sells. Btw. note that on your list the Orange Box for the PC is higher then the console one. Shocking to see Baldurs Gate 2 there though . Own it, love it.

Dead Space(PC) was great. I hate horror games, but this one is really something I really like, although I can't stand to play it for more then half an hour.

Last edited by Jasiek; 2009-05-27 at 19:31.
Old 2009-05-27, 19:55
Classic

Those are game-rankings by average review, its nothing to do with sales.

The reason the Orange Box is higher on PC is because it was developed for PC and the console port is terribly sloopy.

On the other hand, you should note, likewise, that the PC ports from consoles normaly proform even worse (like that Resident Evil4...which is a superb game, but the PC port is terrible).

Out of the top 20, I can only spot around 4 pc games there...hardly "most" :P

And while you might be able emulate classics like Mario64 or Ocarina....getting Gamecube,PS2 and Wii stuff working smoothly and glitch free still isnt possible.
Old 2009-05-27, 20:21
Do the evolution.

Yeah... like buying three different consoles is really THAT feasible. Also (the architecture aside) XBOX360 ports are usually A LOT better then the xbox game itself, more content, higher resolution of textures etc.
Old 2009-05-27, 20:40
The return of

I think Jasiek is biased because he hasn't bothered going out and actually buying a console. Its what every person who is PC only says. I personally like FPS for pc, but some games just work better in a living room environment. Not to mention is a hell of a lot nicer playing a game on a large HD teli, with digital surround sound, and a leather seat in the middle, than crouched over a cluttered desk with last weeks lunch on it.
Old 2009-05-27, 20:44
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axx View Post
I think Jasiek is biased because he hasn't bothered going out and actually buying a console.
I think Axx is biased cause he can actually afford the damned thing!

And no, I did play on PSX, PS2, N64, Dreamcast, 360 (on a large plasma). And I still say I dislike playing games on a tv. And anyway, owning all those consoles for a handfull of games would be really futile for me. With the PC backwards compatibility is really a strong field (try playing N64 games on a Wii....). With consoles older games get forgot a lot faster I'm affraid.
Old 2009-05-27, 22:34
Classic

You might have to repurchase, but certainly not forgotten.
VC on the Wii supports games from all era's of gaming, and the system natively supports Gamecube disc's just fine. You wont have any problems playing classics on the system.
Other consoles have equivalents too.

The only reason consoles of the past lack backwards compatibility was due to different cart size's/shapes. (which itself was determained by bandwidth of the connector)
Now they are disc-based that dosnt mater much.

Of course though, Sony's lack of PS2 emulation on newer PS3 models is utterly stupid.

Quote:
Yeah... like buying three different consoles is really THAT feasible.
Who said anything about all 3?
The point was that most of the best games made are for consoles.
Missing out on any of them is not somehow rationalised by the statement you cant get all of them.

Personaly, I love most of Nintendos work, so the Wii is great value for me. Its a mater of taste which is best suited for you, but if you close your eyes to any console games because their on a console your really missing out.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2009-05-27 at 22:40.
Old 2009-05-28, 00:55
The return of

Wii is the ultimate heap of garbage imo Besides the fact that the vast majority of its games of titles processed out of some big random nintendo factory. I can't think of a title on the wii worth buying the console for.

That, and how they ever got away with such ancient hardware continues to surprise me. I am currently making effects for a wii game, and its incredible how limited our resources are. Its pretty much gamecube with an extra kilobyte.

And the Wiimote is garbage. There is an incredibly slow response rate (move hand, wait, pointer finnaly reaches with a good half second delay) making FPS's on the wii just as useless (if not more) than other consoles. You have to sit a good 2 meters away from screen to use the wiimote (which is inconvinent if your at worlk, and there is no 2 meters behind you). And the devkits wont let me calliberate ( :'( )
Old 2009-05-28, 01:13
Do the evolution.

See? Wii is garbage, the games I do want to play from 360 are ported anyway, and on the PS3 there's only MGS and Little Big Planet I want. Not a single reason to buy any console.
Old 2009-05-28, 01:24
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
See? Wii is garbage, the games I do want to play from 360 are ported anyway, and on the PS3 there's only MGS and Little Big Planet I want. Not a single reason to buy any console.
In that instance, it makes sense for you. But that doesn't mean consoles, or their games in general, are "crap."
Old 2009-05-28, 01:50
Do the evolution.

Who says I have any logical reason to dislike them? It's an ideology thing. Imho a console does two things, one one hand it let's you focus on the gaming experience itself, but on the other it makes you ignorant of the mechanics of the device, it's "inner workings", when you install a game on a PC at least you learn something. I remember when I wanted to play LBA1 and 2 first I had to learn how to properly write autoexec.bat and config.sys - of course that's a bit hardcore, but with a PC at least you can learn what different game options mean when you decrease or increase the gfx quality to fit your machine. I don't like when people surround themselves with devices they do not have at least a basic understanding of how they work.
Old 2009-05-28, 02:29
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Who says I have any logical reason to dislike them? It's an ideology thing. Imho a console does two things, one one hand it let's you focus on the gaming experience itself, but on the other it makes you ignorant of the mechanics of the device, it's "inner workings", when you install a game on a PC at least you learn something. I remember when I wanted to play LBA1 and 2 first I had to learn how to properly write autoexec.bat and config.sys - of course that's a bit hardcore, but with a PC at least you can learn what different game options mean when you decrease or increase the gfx quality to fit your machine. I don't like when people surround themselves with devices they do not have at least a basic understanding of how they work.
By that logic, every consumer electronic out there is deficient.
Old 2009-05-28, 12:27
Classic

Thing is, the point of games is you shouldnt have to learn stuff :P
Games should be the relief from life.
They shouldnt take effort to play.

Quote:
Wii is the ultimate heap of garbage imo Besides the fact that the vast majority of its games of titles processed out of some big random nintendo factory. I can't think of a title on the wii worth buying the console for.
I cant understand statements like this for the life of me.
Mario Galaxy is one of the highest ranking games ever made. Its utterly indisputable that its a great game. If your in the minority of people that personaly dont like it, fair enough. But you cant dismiss it out of hand.

Saying it isnt anything worthwhile is just rather arrogant.
Metroid Corruption and Zelda: TP are also fantastic games. Have you bothered playing any? All respected, very well reviewed games. Are all the sources bias somehow? Is everyone playing these games in some delusion except for your judgement?

And none of them are "factory churn outs".
Nintendo release's 1-2 of these games each generation, each normaly in development for 3 or more years.
They are no more frequent then any other brand on any other console. Is MGS and GTA games "churned out of factorys" too by your logic? Because there a lot more frequent then Nintendos main franchise's come. (If you do think those titles are also churned out, mind you, I'll respect your viewpoint, because thats more a statement against the industary in general.)

The only games they did churn out like crap (Mario Party) thankfull they seem to have stopped.

Quote:
And the Wiimote is garbage. There is an incredibly slow response rate (move hand, wait, pointer finnaly reaches with a good half second delay) making FPS's on the wii just as useless (if not more) than other consoles.
I'm supprised at you Axx, I thought you knew your stuff technicaly here, but thats just very very wrong.
If your getting a half-second lag, its the code or even your TV, it sure as hell isnt the Wiimote.

The Wiimote is like a stylus...a continious stream of x/y inputs...NOT like a mouse with relative displacement. That is, you could still move from one side of the screen to the other instantly with a wiimote, any lag would be down to the processing of two IR dots+The bluetooth lag.....however, thats not anywhere remotely near half a second.
You can hock a Wiimote upto a pc and see quite clearly how fast the data is coming in.
(The chipset inside the Wiimote, incidently, does the whole processing of the co-ordinates onchip by the camera, before its even broadcast to the wii itself. Your talking about 1/100th of a second here, not half a second. )

Secondly, dunno what game your talking about there, but Metroid is very responsive. Unless you have it set to beginner mode or something, but even then its faster then analogue sticks, it only effects the dead-zone setting.
The turning circle when set to expert is much quicker then dual-analogue set ups, and certainly more accurate.

So no idea where your getting this slowness but just go and look up any FPS review on the Wii, and you normaly get nothing but praise for the responsive and fast controlls. Or go and play some, try turning and aiming in..say..Halo, and then compare it to turning around in Corruption. Double the speed at least by my judge if not tripple.

(Gesture-mapping is another mater enterly though. That can have huge lag. Due to the inability to distinguise rotations from accelerations using pizo sensors, small noise from hand movements are greatly amplified and then have to be filtered out, that does introduce lag, as you have to wait for so much data before filtering....quite interesting actualy. The MP should fix this, as the two can be distiguised, removing the need for most filtering.)

Quote:
I am currently making effects for a wii game, and its incredible how limited our resources are. Its pretty much gamecube with an extra kilobyte.
Its 1.5x CPU,GPU and Ram, basicaly.
Which makes it utterly baffleing when most studios treate it as a PS2. (some even just porting ps2 engines -_- )
I hope that game isnt, because if it is there is no excuse to moan about power.

The Gamecubex1.5 isnt a powerhouse these days, but it can do significantly better then the ps2 level graphics.
As demod by High-Voltages games posted. (of which their Conduit is also praised for highly fast and responsive FPS controlls).

Quote:
See? Wii is garbage,
Only if you believe the ramblings of Axx over the average review scores around the world :P
The Wii does have a lot of crap on it, no question of that, but the core franchise's have been the best Nintendo have done in a long time.
Its much like the DS or the PS2 actualy....99% of the titles are rubbish, but theres enough left for it still being worth owning.

I challange you to play Mario Galaxy and not find it fun. :P

And given the cheap price of a Wii, its worth it even for just 3-5 games, imho.
And it easily has 4-5 very very good games. (Even more if you have never owned a cube...Metroid Trillogy would be fantastic value for you, and you could also pick up Eternal Darkness second hand.)

For a fan of LBA, adventure games like Zelda and Okami are also absolutely must plays.
(if you havnt played Okami on the PS2, of course..but it sounds like you havnt. Okami is vastely easier on the Wii, mind you...drawing with the wiimote is much quicker then drawing with the stick, it thoughs the games difficulty off as you can do special attacks a lot closer together).

TP+Okami gives you around 120 hours of adventure gaming alone really. Metroid Trillogy would add another 100. Eternal Darkness another 25 or so.
So even sticking to just a handfull of 90% reviewed games, you got a few hundred hours worth.

I'd also recomend Zack and Wiki...its got a Monkey Island vib, and is one of the few games were you really have to think. (as in really think...not these "dumb luck" style puzzles). None of those crappy try-every-combination puzzles most P&C games have, its like a reinvention of the genre, imho.
Sadly the game didnt sale that well, which is a pitty, as Id have liked other developers to copy its physics/chain-reaction based puzzle style.

I dunno why people are so pashionate to dismiss the Wii.
I think it comes from the "if something is this popular it must be bad" style thinking.

Its a console, it has its strenghs and weakness's. But to wholesale dismiss it due to the huge overvalueing of graphics the industary has is just wrong.
Its all about the games, just like any console, and whether it has games that you will like or not. Its that simple really.

(incidently, on the ps3 list, Id also add Uncharted, which is pretty fun action adventure. Not enough for me to get a PS3, but along with LBP its certainly should be a consideration for the "pro ps3 colume" )

Last edited by Darkflame; 2009-05-28 at 16:30.
Old 2009-05-28, 13:12
Classic

Anyway, back ontopic;

GhostBusters (Wii version) -
http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=13208

Smooth, and I like the style, but the enviroments look very bland.
The beam-style gameplay seems to be exactly what Eleedees already did, so I'm kinda skeptical it will be better. (non-braned games often work harder then film IPs, after all)

The enviroments are probably going to be longer, but Eleedees must have had at least 10 times more objects in the enviroment being tosed about. Physics + Making a complete mess of an enviroment = fun Tosing stuff about with the wiimote is good use of the controlls too.
I'm looking forward to Eleedees2 a lot more then this. (allthough somehow I think this will get more sales -sigh-)
Old 2009-05-28, 14:18
Classic

"The Game With No Name 2" (Square/DS) -

http://www.cubed3.com/news/12356
Looks excelent...fat chance of a western release -sigh-

It mixs first person dual screen horror with a game-within-a-game style plot. (a primative 8bit game that is a bit ring-like in its "play this,day a few days later" style ploting)

Tags
games, videogames