Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2010-06-10, 16:10
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
The E3 2010 thread

(2009 here: http://forum.magicball.net/showthrea...highlight=2009)

So, its that time of the year again, when developers and publishers starting whoring out their where's in the hope of getting some press coverage.

Can't say I'm as enthusiastic this year as others. I've got a tone of games still to play(Red Steal 2,Fragile and the whole of the Humble Bundle) and a tone more I still want to buy (M&L3, MarioGalaxy2,Zelda:Sprit Tracks) , so I cant really get too excited about more games being unvalided
That said, of course I'm curious about the new Zelda and the new Portal, and hopefully we will finally find out what Fred's been upto with ubisoft.

A lot of the rest seems predictable though. Even the 3DS Nintendo will be showing I'm 99% sure its just using Parallax-barrier screens I've seen demoed long ago. Works ok, but without head-tracking its not such an amazing upgrade by itself. Sony and Microsoft sure to show of their own motion tech more, but if the last E3 was any judge they seem to be just going after the new gamer crowd with it, rather then showing how it can benefit all games.
Theres a few odds and sods from smaller developers that could be interesting...the new scribblenaughts sounds even more impressive then the last, I just hope they make a better game structure this time.

What are your thoughts? Games you looking forward to seeing? New tech your expecting to be wowed by?

Last edited by Darkflame; 2010-06-10 at 16:30.
Old 2010-06-10, 16:18
You what?!

Yeah new Portal I'll probably play. Still haven't played Twilight Princess due to the Wii being shit (not interested in arguing) but might pick up a GameCube copy when I run out of new games to play. Everything that comes out lately just all looks the same to me, I want some really original action-adventure/RPG that doesn't try to be too realistic.

Yeah hopefully the Ubisoft thing will be good but I'm not exactly holding my breath.
Old 2010-06-10, 20:08
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Can't say I'm as enthusiastic this year as others. I've got a tone of games still to play(Red Steal 2,Fragile and the whole of the Humble Bundle) and a tone more I still want to buy (M&L3, MarioGalaxy2,Zelda:Sprit Tracks) , so I cant really get too excited about more games being unvalided
I feel the same. I still haven't gotten around to get M&L3, though I preordered SMG2 and will probably get it on Tuesday. I still haven't even finished Spirit Tracks that I got last Christmas, and then there's Metroid Prime 3 which I only just started. And I haven't even considered buying NSMB Wii yet.
Old 2010-06-10, 22:29
Magic Ball Master

Mario Galaxy 2 has disappointed me thus far. But it's still better than most stuff on the Wii right now, so I'm enjoying it.

As far as E3, I'm not terribly excited for any of the "planned" reveals. I'm not interested in motion control or 3D whatsoever, so I'm hoping some devs (Rockstar?) might put something (Agent?) up for viewing. Also, Batman: AA2 hopefully gets some love.
Old 2010-06-10, 22:41
Magic Ball Master

Well Monster Hunter 3 is still collecting dust on my shelf, I didn't touch it after I found out about the online bullshit.
Old 2010-06-10, 23:15
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
Well Monster Hunter 3 is still collecting dust on my shelf, I didn't touch it after I found out about the online bullshit.
I haven't heard about that. What's up?
Old 2010-06-10, 23:26
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
I haven't heard about that. What's up?
American and European servers are separate.
Old 2010-06-11, 12:23
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Information on the new XCOM game;

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/109/1096051p1.html

Shockingly, it looks pretty good. Kinda like XCOM with Bioshock mixed with Fringe/XFiles. I love the look of those bobbly aliens.

Also, this has gota be better then the last time they did a FPS in the series.
Old 2010-06-11, 15:04
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
American and European servers are separate.
I'm not surprised at anything with the Wii "online" at this point, but what exactly was the rationale (if any) of doing this?
Old 2010-06-11, 15:10
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
I'm not surprised at anything with the Wii "online" at this point, but what exactly was the rationale (if any) of doing this?
We got no answer from Capcom when we asked that.
Old 2010-06-11, 17:41
Magic Ball Master

Capcom: Keeping Euro users safe from American loli since 2010.
Old 2010-06-11, 18:48
Classic

SUPER SCRIBBLENAUGHTS PREVIEW:

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/109/1095753p1.html

Darn, I wish that technology system could be lisence and put into other games.

Basically, as well as summoning any basically object and it reacting (mostly) like the object would, you can now summon any object and any combination of adjectives to describe it and the object will be called to your specifications.

Quote:
Adjectives significantly increase the amount of stuff you can summon into the game. Whereas previously you could bring in a car, now you can call in an "undead" car, an "angry" car, or a "pregnant" car. Objects will react accordingly to their adjectives. For instance, that pregnant car will eventually give birth to a baby car. Oh, and the formerly pregnant car will now be a skinny car. Weird, huh? One of my favorite examples was when we summoned an undead bee. Zombies love brains, right? So we brought in an explosive brain. The undead bee couldn't resist it.
I mean, seriously, thats just insanely cool.

They have also apparently fixed the control issues from the first game which let it down somewhat.
But overall I just wish other games could be this "intelligent"

Hell, for all the "realism" we have in games these days your still lucky if you get a game where objects burn if they are flammable.
Old 2010-06-11, 22:00
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Capcom: Keeping Euro users safe from American loli since 2010.
Yes, because that's what I want to play with a 26-year old girl for.

Anyways I'm gonna hack my way around that.
Old 2010-06-12, 17:49
Classic

Harry Potter And the Deathly Hallows part1:

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6264416...tories;title;7

They turned it into a 3rd person shotter. Good grief, talk about in appropriate franchise shoe-horning.
I got nothing against having a mystic/magic based shotter (hell, there really isnt nearly enough). But Harry Potter? Honestly? They couldn't even get the spell's from the franchise right. (even a disarming spell which would actually be usefull in a action game like this).
Not to say this will necessary be a bad game, as such. But its one of the most inappropriate use's of a brand I've seen.

What next? Toy Story 3 as a beat em up? Disney's Repunzal as a survival horror?
Old 2010-06-14, 12:25
Classic

Microsoft renames "Natal" to "Kenatic" - Still no sign of a nunchuck-style controller. I think they are really dropping the ball here
Metroid controls with Halo I think would have been "killer" for one thing.
Old 2010-06-14, 13:58
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
I think they are really dropping the ball here
Smarmy allusion to their tech demo?

Personally, I can't wait until this whole motion fad is done/minimized. The concept of Natal is cool but it's price seems prohibitive to the average buyer, who just wants to play FPS with their controller and call people noobs. Same with Move...I can't wait to hear people whine about how they got shot by someone who was "unfairly" using a Dualshock while someone else was using a Move (or vice-versa, and that's if games will allow that cross-controller option). I'm fine with Nintendo and the motion control because they've claimed a huge part of the casual market. If you buy that console, you expect that it is going to control that way.

Much along the same lines, I can't wait for this 3D fad to go away.

Only major rumor I've heard down the pike is that Sony is announcing new hardware (likely PSP2). Unless they're going to count Move as hardware...which would be retarded.
Old 2010-06-14, 15:49
Classic

Personally I want my video games with skill. And anyone using a Wiimote (or probably Move) will be able to beat analogue stick user's hands down.
Its simply a faster and more accurate control method. In the exact same way a mouse user will beat a console player at the moment too. (for equal skill levels with auto-aiming turned of, of course).

We can't cater to the lowest-dominator players forever. If they moan about it, tough shit. Personally I'm happy to lose a game, but I want to lose a game *while* having the best control's I can. That means especially means no sodding auto-aiming. I want to ride my bike properly and not with training wheels.
That means the highest bandwidth possible between me and the game possible. The

Your correct with the price of "Kentic" though. They are going to have to subsidise the cost a lot in order to appeal to the casual. And while I do see many good things microsoft has done for gaming, I'm always a bit concerned about how much they use profits from Windows etc to stay profitable/competitive in games.
Which makes it even more maddening that are excluding traditional game use's by the lack of analogue stick. Traditional games are most likely to spend more money if they see value in it.
I want games where I can run around with my character and have accurately sensed analogue movements from myself or objects I'm holding. Not one or the other. I want to slash my sword and retreat, or manipulate objects in a Penumbra-style game. Survival Horror with the system could rock. But it wont.
Old 2010-06-14, 16:42
Magic Ball Master

To prevent any confusions, the product is called KINECT not kenatic or kentic. Darkflame you should at least look up the products' names.
Old 2010-06-14, 17:23
Classic

Even stupid ones?
Old 2010-06-14, 18:04
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Even stupid ones?
Well, as the name has just been announced you would want people to be able to search for it on the Internet themselves to find out what it is. When everbody already knows it you can call it by whatever name you want, because it IS stupid.
Old 2010-06-14, 18:38
Classic

Fair point.
Its funny though, I quite liked Natal.

Anyway, Microsofts conference is in a few hours, lets see what they got I guess.
Old 2010-06-14, 20:03
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Personally I want my video games with skill. And anyone using a Wiimote (or probably Move) will be able to beat analogue stick user's hands down.
Its simply a faster and more accurate control method. In the exact same way a mouse user will beat a console player at the moment too. (for equal skill levels with auto-aiming turned of, of course).

We can't cater to the lowest-dominator players forever. If they moan about it, tough shit. Personally I'm happy to lose a game, but I want to lose a game *while* having the best control's I can. That means especially means no sodding auto-aiming. I want to ride my bike properly and not with training wheels.
That means the highest bandwidth possible between me and the game possible.
I'm confused...I would have thought that the Wiimote was catering to the lowest-denominator in terms of players. Experienced gamers have zero problems adapting to any control, but non-gamers - especially the casual market which Nintendo has catered to - are often confused by them. Yet we know grandparents are out there playing Wii bowling (not that it is sophisticated by any means).

I'd also challenge the idea of a Wiimote (at least in it's current state) being more precise or accurate. Perhaps in the rail shooting games, yes. But my experience with Wii pointing is that the sensor bar can vary from being decent to jumpy. Certainly not what I want in terms of an FPS. I'll take the aiming of a TPS like Red Dead Redemption with auto-aim off over the shaky "precision" of the Wiimote at this point. I just know if I had to choose right now, I would not want to play any of the FPS games I own with a Wiimote, all other things being equal.

That being said, I do agree with you that I want to be as close to the character I'm controlling as possible, so real sword movements and whatnot are fine. But I really don't see how conventional control systems are somehow lesser than motion controls, at least at their current stage of development. I hate having to spin the Wiimote to get Mario to spin, or pointing at the screen to collect star bits. It's more annoying to me than a legit criticism of the game, but nonetheless, I'd rather it not be there. That's just my personal preference.
Old 2010-06-14, 20:20
Magic Ball Master

OK, I lied.

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/19332...0.html?show=hi
Old 2010-06-14, 20:27
Classic

Quote:
I'm confused...I would have thought that the Wiimote was catering to the lowest-denominator in terms of players.
Not for FPS games, or any game requreing skilled aiming.

As I've said a bazillion times. Its exact the same way a mouse is better.

Quote:
I'd also challenge the idea of a Wiimote (at least in it's current state) being more precise or accurate. Perhaps in the rail shooting games, yes. But my experience with Wii pointing is that the sensor bar can vary from being decent to jumpy.
In front of a window? or something reflective?
The sensor itself is completely accurate in this regard. It has a 1024x1024 resolution output far beyond the pixal precision of the Wii.
I can only guess for you its picking up some stray infer red. Try turning down the sensitivity?

Either way it beats a typical analogue stick, which has about 256x256 resolution of positional detection (spread over a far smaller, and thus less precise for the user, area).

Quote:
But I really don't see how conventional control systems are somehow lesser than motion controls,
They arnt!
They are just worse for certain things. They are still best when your pulling of a simple digital action. (like jumping, or spinning mario). Analogue sticks meanwhile are still by far the best invention for character motion. No question motion controll (of any sort) is worse for those two tasks.

For aiming, or any x/y selection style input though, Id say a pointer is better. (or mouse, or stylus etc)

And for anything where a character is holding something (sword, wheel, tennis bat) motion control is better.

So the question to me is not that motion controlls are better per say, its that its best to have the option built into the controll because its better for some things.

Honestly, I just dont see the two as multauly exclusive. You can have both in the same (split) controller. I mean would the wiimote have not functioned if it had a second analogue stick? Thats more or less what the MOVE is.

I think we can have the best of both worlds in theory. Give us all the features of a traditional controller and a pointer and a sword-wielding device. ^_^

---
Anyway... Microsoft conference over, I missed it all.
I think there was some motion controlled Metal Gear Solid game though.....
Old 2010-06-14, 20:29
Classic

Quote:
Yeah, that looks pretty good actually.
Still a little puzzled over that ball at the end of the device though, seems the only (minor) design flaw. They could have used a inferred strip I think instead.