Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2011-07-17, 21:47
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Fox network doesnt understand the difference between victim and perpetrator.

Found this hillerious;

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/07/17...-lash-out.html

Dont know how many people have been following the UK News of the World hacking incident.
Basicly, the uk tabloid...generaly piecieved to be very low quality even by tablod standards....did some very dodgy hacking of peoples phones on multiple occasions. Not just illegal, but pretty much the most scub-bagish type of stuff possible. Recording voicemails from 9/11 victims, eraseing the answer phone of a missing girl just to get new messages (she later turned up dead). Also incidents of bribeing police for information.

The "paper" closed down last week due to the scandle.
Thing is, its owned by News Corp - owned by Richard Murdock, and part of a large network of media things, including Fox in america.

First Fox news has been desperate to avoid the story, now the network seem desperate to put some sort of positive or dismiss's spin on it.

But this (http://www.boingboing.net/2011/07/17...-lash-out.html) is just about the most pathetic and stupid thing Ive read inwhile.
Old 2011-07-18, 00:43
the hobbits to Otringal

I find those kinda things sad rather then hillerious. But yeah sad yet entertaining.

http://imgur.com/b76FL

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225
Old 2011-07-18, 02:33
!!!!!

Yep, people of power abusing the media to manipulate the mass. Just like what happened in... the entire written history of human kind.
Old 2011-07-18, 12:49
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Absolutely.
But Ive never seen whitewashing this dumb.

To extend an analogy I saw in the comments;

Quote:
Its like being pulled over for speeding, and then saying;
'Sure I was speeding officers, but isnt the real problem all the speeding thats going on in this country? I mean! Look at all the people run-over by cars recently?! Why arnt you harassing them!'
Old 2011-07-18, 12:53
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
manipulate the media, control the people. That's a sad story seen and seen for ages... and unfortunately it's something that happens in all the world ...
Old 2011-07-18, 22:28
Classic

Doesn't mean it shouldnt be highlighted every time theres especialy bad examples.

I wonder if the presenters were ordered to behave this way specificly, or if years of Fox brainwashing made it come naturaly
I half expect one of these days one of the presentors to walk out on air Robo-cop style saying "I'm fed up with this bullshit"

In either case, I dont think anyone will buy this. As dumb as a lot of viewers are, saying "it happened a long time ago in London" isnt going to wash against the 9/11 victim hacking. "long time ago so it doesnt matter" when applied to anything 9/11 probably would leave a bad taste in a lot of Americans mouths.
Old 2011-07-19, 10:50
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Doesn't mean it shouldnt be highlighted every time theres especialy bad examples.
Isn't highlighting the less obvious examples more important to do? I mean, FOX Network could as well be a red herring.
Old 2011-07-19, 11:23
Classic

"bad" doesnt neccesserly mean obvious or not.
In this case I just found it funny as hell.

That said, the whole News of the World thing I found to be one of the most disgusting incidents Ive ever read about.
Old 2011-07-19, 12:47
!!!!!

Yes, it is quite shocking.

Sliding into philosophy a bit... the fact people allow themselves to do such things just to get more readers (to get more money) is a core problem with our society today. The mindset is that as long as you make money, you're a respectable person. Also, the more laws there are, the less people feel moral responsibility for their actions. Because why take responsibility for society when there's a safe-net of laws for that? And the more the laws are enforced, the more people feel that it's ok to break them as long as they manage to avoid being caught.

I think it's important to manage a society that's neither strict or chaotic. Find someplace comfortable in the middle.
Old 2011-07-24, 23:39

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
This is normal. Fox News is a television program and like any program they are interested in ratings - which means providing POVs that their listeners want to hear.

American Conservatives hate hackers who infiltrate corporations, because corporations = capitalism, and hackers = liberal scoundrels trying to screw the system.

Doesn't make much difference as Anonymous have already shown that they cannot be stopped. As we move deeper into the Internet era, power transitions into the hands of the technologically competent. In this case, technologically brilliant.

Geeks will rule the world, as they say.
Old 2011-07-24, 23:59
Classic

Ok, fine then people. You win, I wont point any of this out in future
I dont like the idea to ignore stuff because other stuff similiar happened before - and I still think this is one of the worst examples Ive seen.

Quote:
Also, the more laws there are, the less people feel moral responsibility for their actions. Because why take responsibility for society when there's a safe-net of laws for that? And the more the laws are enforced, the more people feel that it's ok to break them as long as they manage to avoid being caught.

I think it's important to manage a society that's neither strict or chaotic. Find someplace comfortable in the middle.
Very true.
Always a bit tricky though. I think 99% of people, in a good enviroment, and relaying on their own morels will do the right thing.
The problem is the 1% that doesnt. We normaly make laws to deal with them, and everyone else is dragged down a bit with it
Old 2011-07-25, 19:32
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing View Post
American Conservatives hate hackers who infiltrate corporations, because corporations = capitalism, and hackers = liberal scoundrels trying to screw the system.
Increasingly, it is not only conservatives. Anonymous (or the rogue split, depending on who you believe) alienated a shitload of people when they hacked Sony over the Geohot trial, and ended up punishing the users much more than Sony (despite a temporary revenue dip, which seems to be ameliorated by a number of PSN+ deals, now available to all, that are being gobbled up like mad).
Old 2011-07-26, 00:18
The return of

Quote:
Found this hillerious;

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/07/17...-lash-out.html

Dont know how many people have been following the UK News of the World hacking incident.
Basicly, the uk tabloid...generaly piecieved to be very low quality even by tablod standards....did some very dodgy hacking of peoples phones on multiple occasions. Not just illegal, but pretty much the most scub-bagish type of stuff possible. Recording voicemails from 9/11 victims, eraseing the answer phone of a missing girl just to get new messages (she later turned up dead). Also incidents of bribeing police for information.

The "paper" closed down last week due to the scandle.
Thing is, its owned by News Corp - owned by Richard Murdock, and part of a large network of media things, including Fox in america.

First Fox news has been desperate to avoid the story, now the network seem desperate to put some sort of positive or dismiss's spin on it.

But this (http://www.boingboing.net/2011/07/17...-lash-out.html) is just about the most pathetic and stupid thing Ive read inwhile.
The 9/11 hacking stuff isnt confirmed (or atleast it wasn't around the time FOX made their report). Murdoch's trademark is bullshit, putting aside FOX we have/had news of the world, The SUN etc... that closely trail FOX in their absurdity. It does appear that you can get away with murder in US media relative to the UK. Ive always said on the MBN the difference with FOX is that it isnt unique in its bias, its unique in that it can and will rewrite a current event then publish it as fact without much, if any, challenge.

I'm enjoying watching Murdoch's empire slowly crumble, it was only two/three months ago that I was quite worried about his BSkyB takeover bid.
Old 2011-07-26, 00:40
Classic

The 9/11 stuff isnt confirmed indeed....but that just makes the Fox thing dumber still.
All they really had to say was "this/that isnt confirmed" and "Murdoch only employed someone that employed someone that did the hacking...no real connection".

Those would have been sensible, much more reasonable, arguments to make.
But no, instead they try to dismiss the very possibiltiy of any of it being relievent even if he did the phone hacking himself personaly. Its like they have spent so long deflecting and twisting they have forgotten even how to make a reasonable counter-argument.

Quote:
I'm enjoying watching Murdoch's empire slowly crumble, it was only two/three months ago that I was quite worried about his BSkyB takeover bid.
Second.
Allthough I dought it will truely crumble. More like get eroded a bit.
Old 2011-07-26, 00:43
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axx View Post
Ive always said on the MBN the difference with FOX is that it isnt unique in its bias, its unique in that it can and will rewrite a current event then publish it as fact without much, if any, challenge.
The U.S. media has declined for quite some time. It's objectivity seemed to peak with Cronkite and the Ellsburg papers in the late 60s and 70s, where the media still spoke to the American people, sought out corruption, and took on activism for the sake of digging the facts. Even that is my own gilded opinion, because if you asked Richard Nixon, he felt the media was probably his #1 enemy. But that being said, for people who criticize the media of building up images of "Camelot" and a more whitewashed era of political and national coverage, in many ways, the news was still the "news." Today, I don't really have much trust for any of the media outlets.

Incidentally, my biggest problem with Fox isn't their conservative bias - I know my liberal counterparts get all wet for Rachel Maddow - it's how they handle it. Too much emphasis on slick graphics, on personal interest stories, on commentary. I honestly prefer a more minimalist presentation, which none of the networks really have. I simple ticker would be about the most I'd want to see. I don't need 25 widgets ejaculating useless information in my face.
Old 2011-07-26, 07:03

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
Increasingly, it is not only conservatives. Anonymous (or the rogue split, depending on who you believe) alienated a shitload of people when they hacked Sony over the Geohot trial, and ended up punishing the users much more than Sony (despite a temporary revenue dip, which seems to be ameliorated by a number of PSN+ deals, now available to all, that are being gobbled up like mad).
That's true, although for those who were not directly effected by the hack, Anonymous represent those that want to bring down the system.

I agree that the customers suffered the most.
Old 2011-07-26, 13:12
Classic

Anonymous has done some very good stuff (imho - their attacks on Scientology) but also some very dodgy stuff. They are clearly a lose collection of people with reasonable skills doing their own things rather then a real organisation.

Sony did deserve a backlash, but its true they hurt the customers more. I think the only real damage done to Sony was to their reputation and possibly 3rd party relations.

Actualy, purhapes one good thing to come from the hacking wasn't related to Sony at all - but rather it highlighted how insane DRM can be with some Capcom games that couldnt even play single player while the network was done.
Capcom reportable was furious with Sony for their weak security, but its pretty clearly Capcoms fault for pissing of their customers here.

Quote:
I honestly prefer a more minimalist presentation, which none of the networks really have.
Second.
They all left/right bias and thats just something to live with.
But even more then that they also all have a HUGE bias towards sensationalism, short attention span, and trying to always simplify storys down stupid amounts.
I mean, they arnt far of from having Micheal Bay design their intro's these days.
Old 2011-07-26, 14:05
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Sony did deserve a backlash
See, this is what I don't understand. Does Sony not have a right to try and stop piracy of their products? I'd feel the same way about Microsoft or Nintendo if they sought action against firmware hackers. That being said, Sony and SecureROM certainly pissed plenty of people off, but taking down PSN was a huge PR mistake for Anonymous. They came off looking like angry adolescents rather than internet 'activists,' if you will. In the case of any litigation against the PSN hackers, I'd be more than happy to see them in jail, however unlikely.
Old 2011-07-26, 14:45
The return of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
The U.S. media has declined for quite some time. Today, I don't really have much trust for any of the media outlets.

Incidentally, my biggest problem with Fox isn't their conservative bias, it's how they handle it.
Interesting. Afraid to say, I know very little regarding US media, or its history. I am aware there exists a law in order to prevent media organisations from making up events/stories for personal interest, however, doesn't seem to be applicable to the larger organisations.

(On the subject of media trust) Agreed. I do like Chomsky's method of reading about a certain event from a multitude of sources on all sides of the debates, then using common sense to glew it all back together. Another interesting news source I usually refer to are independant non-commercial media websites, that feature publications by notable authors (e.g. www.informationclearinghouse.com). I believe that, in combination with the above will probably get you closer to the truth. That said, it could also mislead you through sheer confusion.

Quote:
See, this is what I don't understand. Does Sony not have a right to try and stop piracy of their products?
Agreed, that and, what a petty petty 'cause' to fight for. Sony is an angel, all matters considered.

Tags
current eventy stuff, fox, hacking, news