Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2013-07-12, 13:52
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Its reference in the 3ds epp - basically its a really scary/messed up looking Mii a flatmate of ours made. We want it to spread around the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
I'd be so much happier if you uploaded RRS to youtube or any other video publishing website other than blip.tv ... For me, that site always plays videos jerkily and laggy.
Youtube limits me to 10 minutes
It also moans of copyright a lot more (the gags at the end normally flag something).
Is there any other site you prefer? I used to upload to Dailymotion, but the vids quality didnt seem that great - and they only got 10 views each

Quote:
Nice rejected review, however, how come you don't even put some video capture of the gameplay in action or big screenshots, anything, y'know, that'd actually make me want to play the game and get to know it better?

The whole "I won the game celebration" thing and the pun at the end was kinda funny but that's about it.

I wish the shows (I speak in general, not just the bonuses) shared a 50%/50% ratio between funny + informative. As it is now I feel it is 20% dullness/bad editing/non eye-candy shots, 25% mildly interesting ideas, 25% informative and 30% funny.
Well, its rejected for a reason
I just couldn't think of a way to make it that interesting. Yes, a proper review needs more analysis, screens, video etc. But I think it would have been pretty dull - it would just have been longer and not say much more then any other review would have.
--
Sorry about the ratios there
I acknowledge we started very badly with huge wasted time in our early epps (probably chop a full 10 minutes off the 3rd epp) - but I actually thought we did pretty good with the last one. Probably too long with the narrative/story stuff at the start - wanted to explain the new location, but combined with the review addiction/paperclips it was probably cramming too much in before the main review.
Old 2013-07-21, 05:20
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Youtube limits me to 10 minutes
It also moans of copyright a lot more (the gags at the end normally flag something).
Is there any other site you prefer? I used to upload to Dailymotion, but the vids quality didnt seem that great - and they only got 10 views each
Are you in a time capsule stuck in 2005? It's been a while youtube allows bigger than 10 minutes videos... also 90% of youtube's content is copyright infringing, I'm not sure why it would pick yours to nag with. Anyway, there's vimeo and dailymotion is better imo. Keep using blip, but upload an alternative link for guys like me, how about that?
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2013-07-21, 11:00
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Are you in a time capsule stuck in 2005? It's been a while youtube allows bigger than 10 minutes videos.
Only for some accounts.
Any content flags you get I assume stop you getting allocated extra time. (I'd guess thats the reason anyway, all I know its /RandomReviewShow is limited, but my company account isnt.....)

Quote:
also 90% of youtube's content is copyright infringing, I'm not sure why it would pick yours to nag with.
I think because I used clearly identifable sound files. (ie, BBC's old Doctor Who clip amongst others).
I have filled a appeal as pretty darn sure this consituates fair use.

And your right, theres whole movies uploaded No clue how they get around stuff.
Maybe the rights owners of those movies didnt submit whatever datas needed for the Content ID system to work

(if it wasn't so annoying, that ID system would impress me....it identified that Doctor Who clip within seconds of uploading. How big and fast is their database!?!)

Quote:
. Anyway, there's vimeo and dailymotion is better imo. Keep using blip, but upload an alternative link for guys like me, how about that?
Sounds fair, I'll post alternative DailyMotion links from now on - and I'll look into Vimeo.

When I next update the site I'll backlink all the old episodes too.
Old 2013-07-21, 11:57
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Only for some accounts.
Are you sure? My account used to be limited to 10:00 minutes and later 15:00 minutes, but lately it seems YouTube has dropped all video length restrictions. I has able to upload that 1hour LBA 2 speedrun in one piece after all, and I'm not a partner and even had copyright infringing material on my channel once.
Old 2013-07-21, 19:41
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
You just need to give them your phone number to upload longer videos... I still think you should use public domain music and sound effects, and upload everything on Youtube... it's damn easier to get views there.
Old 2013-07-21, 20:46
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streg View Post
You just need to give them your phone number to upload longer videos... I still think you should use public domain music and sound effects, and upload everything on Youtube... it's damn easier to get views there.
That must be it. I remember doing that.
Old 2013-07-21, 20:48
Classic

Everything in my show is....except the end gags. Their mostly clips from tv or games (ie, the "V" Rickroll).

That said the system seems to work. I disputed a copyright flag a few weeks back and they seem to have accepted it. I just never noticed.
(I claimed parody exception over my short Dr Who tribute clip and its now back online).

Trying to upload the rest of the episodes now as theres no outstanding flags now.
Old 2013-07-21, 22:21
Classic

Well that didn't last long:

>_<
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	limit.png‎
Views:	233
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	9776  
Old 2013-07-21, 22:28
Magic Ball Master

That's unfortunate (their automatic content detector of course picks up everything, even if it is allowed). But I still don't understand YouTube's policy for video length.
Old 2013-07-21, 23:49
Magic Ball Master

The youtube policy for video lenght works like this (I had problems with this aswell b4): you must have a video with at least 50 views to get 15 minutes or more upload time. I think that if you have 10 videos on your channel you can upgrade the video lenght limit aswell. Also, when you are edible to such change, there will be a small notice somewhere on your youtube channel's page, and you must mark a box saying that you want to upgrade your lenght limit and maybe (if you are edible aswell, like me) want to monetize your videos.
Old 2013-07-22, 00:29
Classic

I already had that....so I assume this is some sort of punishment for being flagged.

Note the first epp was accepted despite being 19minutes.
2nd flagged.
3rd rejected.

I have appealed, but judging from before that can take weeks.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2013-07-22 at 00:35.
Old 2013-07-22, 01:56
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Even your view counter seems to be stuck at 1 in both your videos, even if I just clicked on them. :|
I'll never understand youtube anyway. I have 2 videos in my channel that are stuck at 301 views, and one that's stuck at 135 viws. It's been like this for weeks. Bah.
Old 2013-07-22, 01:56
strange dreamer

In any case, you should be making epps with maaaaaximum 10 minutes lenght anyway.

Pretty much everyone who gave feedback on the RRS mentions this same problem. 20-30 minutes is too much. It should be 15 for "specials" and 8-10 for normal episodes. You should have short episodes regularly, than long ones eventually. I'd become a fan to watch a show if I know there's a new one every certain day of the month and knowing it will only take me ten minutes. The sporadic nature of it, the long lenght, and unpopular video hosting website, are all against you to turn this show popular and get more views. This is my advice, if I was your business manager or something.

To circumvent the copyright problem, first make a new channel with new email that is completely unrelated to what you have now, so you can have a fresh start. Then in the new epps put any copyrighted content inside another screen (make a border around it or whatever) just so it won't look exactly like the original footage they have.

I guess the reason YouTube "dislikes" you and flag your content instead of others is that you are supposedly trying to make money and become popular out of other people's creations, while normal people who just post videoclips/movies/TV series/videogames/full concerts/TV captures/etc ( ) are actually the people that made YouTube become what it is bringing viewers and money for them, so I guess YouTube pretends they don't exist... which is a bit controversial because your show would also bring more viewers to the site. Uh. Fuck logic.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2013-07-22 at 02:20.
Old 2013-07-22, 02:47
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
In any case, you should be making epps with maaaaaximum 10 minutes lenght anyway.

Pretty much everyone who gave feedback on the RRS mentions this same problem. 20-30 minutes is too much. It should be 15 for "specials" and 8-10 for normal episodes. You should have short episodes regularly, than long ones eventually. I'd become a fan to watch a show if I know there's a new one every certain day of the month and knowing it will only take me ten minutes. The sporadic nature of it, the long lenght, and unpopular video hosting website, are all against you to turn this show popular and get more views. This is my advice, if I was your business manager or something.
I can't agree more. I rather watch a 10 minutes episode once per week, or twice per week, than a 20 minutes episode (which I don't realy have time to watch) every 2 weeks.
Old 2013-07-22, 12:48
Classic

I am just waiting for the content ID to be resolved and see what happens.

In the meantime, uploading to DailyMotion.
Got some uploaded already, no complaints on length or copyrights (yay! France!)

....although a few episodes are erroring for some reason.

---

As for length, if people dont want to watch the show, I have failed to make it interesting enough. Certainly theres a lot I could make slicker. If something isnt interesting or funny (not always easy to tell), it should be cut.

But that said, I dont believe the Internet is just for short things, Internet should be able to support long and medium content just like TV does. (or, better in fact, as things can be any length, rather then just 22 or 44 minutes)

Quote:
Then in the new epps put any copyrighted content inside another screen (make a border around it or whatever) just so it won't look exactly like the original footage they have.
Doesn't work - the Doctor Who clip was like that.
I think they go by sound, not video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streg View Post
Even your view counter seems to be stuck at 1 in both your videos, even if I just clicked on them. :|
I'll never understand youtube anyway. I have 2 videos in my channel that are stuck at 301 views, and one that's stuck at 135 viws. It's been like this for weeks. Bah.
I think youtube tries to filter out duplicate viewings and doesn't always get it right.
---

Anyways....if people want to watch a much better made show while you are waiting for me to sort my mess out, I recommend this guys stuff;

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF7704E5B2E2457F9

(I mostly really like him as he is enthusiastic and positive. Every other Internet viewer seems to make hating/ranting there thing)
Old 2013-08-27, 01:38
Classic

Episodes 1-7 now all on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1OhsTxHeNtgdUA9tXMJG4g
(Episode 8 pending fair use appeal)

But more importantly then that...Episode 9 now out:

3D Printers

http://randomreviewshow.com/

Special thanks to Jesse as I used a lot of his excellent music. Particularly the piece during the ending credits/epilogue. Beautifully piece that one.

Hope you enjoy it!
I'll have some rather silly extra's online for this one over the next few days too.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2013-08-27 at 17:19.
Old 2013-08-27, 12:53
Neko

Hey that's cool,

the endtrack is now ten years old
Old 2013-08-30, 23:51
Classic

You dont have to comment you know - but if you do, try to watch the thing your commenting on.
We show 3D Printers are far from useless - but also very expensive. Nothing in the video is "justifying" the purchase, its merely trying to inform people in a entertaining way.
Old 2013-09-01, 23:08
Classic

First extras up, I made a gallery of some of our 3d prints;

http://randomreviewshow.com/extras/3...ntGallery.html

Bertine made this one, which I think is pretty awesome;

Old 2013-09-10, 10:19
Polly parrot

These look nice ! I never thought about a dematerialised selling of objects...
Could you print... Pen parts with that ?
Old 2013-09-10, 13:48
Classic

Depending on the part, yeah. Not sure how well it would work but you might even be able to print a whole pen. I mean, its just a shape isnt it? No real moving parts.
Even biros just need a little ball.
---
Old 2013-09-10, 18:42
Polly parrot

I do penspinning and am looking most of the time for ery specific pen parts. It would take a little while to make up for the price of the printer though, even if a pen can only be found in Japan, they still aren't that expensive
Old 2013-09-11, 01:19
Classic

Probably easier to buy for awhile. 3D printers are fantastic for rare parts if they have already been modeled.

More really for bespoke stuff...making your own crazy shit.

Try to reinvent the pen
Old 2013-09-11, 03:42
Magic Ball Master

Design a pen, print it and send one of us
Old 2013-09-11, 08:33
Polly parrot

Yeah, do a special MBN pen

And would it be possible to export Twinsen's model and print it ?

Tags
boy and his blob, horror, paperclips, penumbra, please just stop, review show, rss, shameless premotion, tv intros, unflinching walks, wii