Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2012-01-06, 00:07
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
2012 Predictions....

Ok, ignoring any and all mention of Mayans (please), what are your predictions for 2012?

We will see who's right at the end of the year!
Old 2012-01-06, 00:30
Polly parrot

Apart from the remake of LBA1 ?

Umm, Hungary is in a bad state right now, I think they'll go on with their crap until the EU attacks them (economically speaking).
Old 2012-01-06, 01:42
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Apart from the remake of LBA1 ?

Umm, Italy is in a bad state right now, I think they'll go on with their crap until /copy-paste :P/ there will be no more reason to stay here. I feel the need to get my degree really fast and then I don't know what I will do. Probably I'll go working some years abroad and I don't know if I'm staying out forever, I still love this shit I live in. So, well, my first objective is passing all my exams so that I'll be done in 3 years, and if I get a work I'll stop studying, otherwise I'll take a 2 year specialization.

About the Mayas? If that stuff is real I don't know why I'm not risking the life of the pirate yet. Yarr! But I don't believe in that stuff
Old 2012-01-06, 15:07
!!!!!

2012 will be a landmark year in the new economy revolution. The mass will finally begin to realize the current economy system is not working and thus money will begin to lose its value.

2012 will be a difficult year. Many will miss 2011. There will be wars, and there will be chaos. But not the end of the world. It's just gonna get worse before it gets better.
Old 2012-01-06, 15:35
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
thus money will begin to lose its value.
it's called "inflation" and it's been happening since the invention of money more or less.

also, the current economy system isn't working? working for who?
it's been working just fine for the west up until recently, and right now it's working pretty damn well for the rising powers of the east.
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2012-01-06, 16:55
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Theres some very specific problems with the current economic system, mainly concerning the trading of debt. When countries can "misplace" billions its pretty obvious something is wrong imho. This can be fixed with a few simple laws, but I dought thats going to happen. (even after the mess the US got itself in with the subprime loan crap, they did no actual change in the law to fix it - the exact same thing can happen again in a few years).
--
Theres a more serious general problem with our system too - but its more longterm and concerns jobs more then money. Basically; commercial competition means (on average) companies giving us the best value succeed the best. That is, the cheapest/best products are the ones that tend to survive. This is a fantastic thing. It means the cost of making electronics and other things is constantly falling. It means we get more for less effort. It encourages automation and more efficacy.

The problem is, in almost all case's, the most expensive part of a product is the people needed to make it. Thus the most successful company's will be those that employ the least people (or lowest paid)...thus as time goes on less and less jobs will be available.
Those that are employed will get higher spending power, but those not will find it harder annd harder to find work.

This is a average and long term trend though. Talking 50-100 years here.New industry's can popup and disturb it, inefficiencies and over management can employ more people then is needed.
However, I do think though eventually governments will have to address this hard problem - maybe by limiting the number of hours people can work in a year - maybe by directly employing more people with tax-paid for projects (drug research,space exploration etc) - maybe by other methods.
In short, we might need to come up with methods to "spread" the jobs out. So that rather then fewer people earning more money with the same amount of work, we have more people earning the same amount with less work.

That all said, I wont say our system is completely broken, and I dought much will change in 2012. However I suspect discontent to continue to grow and many young protesters now might well decide to go into politics.
===

Anyway, my predictions for 2012
:

* First consumer(ish) level AR specs are released. Quickly followed by a few competeting models from different companys.

* Those darn neutrino's refuse to obay the speed limit!

* More successfull commercial spaceflights from private companys. Dates set for SpaceShip3's completetion and first flights.

* SOPA pass's, despite protests and with the minimum of modifications.

* People being pulled from YouTube goes up massively. Other services like Blip.tv struggle from litigation.

* A major (pc)publisher does their own pay what you want style HumbleBundle after seeing the insane indie success from it. This could be a start of a major shift in the pc game market.

* WiiU flops. I love Nintendo, and my 3ds is great, but I just cant see many people buying this, at least no where near Wii levels. Maybe if theres a more serious redesign before launch.

* Sony Vita price slash soon.

* Avatar: Legend of Korra will be awesome

* There will be a significant physics breakthough.

* 3 more extra-solar planets will be found in habitable zones.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2012-01-06 at 17:02.
Old 2012-01-06, 19:31
Party animal

i wasn't saying there aren't problems in our economy, just that when discussing whether the current economic system is working or not, you have to specify for whom.

for example right now europe is up shit's creek, due to massive outsourcing (among other things), while i reckon china and india are pretty damn pleased with the whole situation.

also, considering the fact that the Gross World Product has been steadily increasing for a millon years now, saying that "the current economic system isn't working" is kind of silly.
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2012-01-06, 19:44
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin View Post
it's called "inflation" and it's been happening since the invention of money more or less.
I know what inflation is, that's not what I meant. Money as a whole will begin to lose its value.
Old 2012-01-06, 19:54
Party animal

Quote:
Money as a whole will begin to lose its value.
That's the definition of inflation.
Money losing its value = one would need more money than before to keep on buying the same things = inflation.
Old 2012-01-06, 21:31
!!!!!

By money as a whole I mean money as a concept.
Old 2012-01-06, 21:40
Party animal

Oh. Right. Yeah that's definetly happening 2012.
Old 2012-01-07, 01:51
!!!!!

Let's find out.
Old 2012-01-07, 11:30
Classic

Quote:
for example right now europe is up shit's creek, due to massive outsourcing (among other things), while i reckon china and india are pretty damn pleased with the whole situation.
Only their working conditions are much worse, remember. So its debatable if its "working" for them in terms of quality of life.
Old 2012-01-07, 13:05
Twinsun Liberator

Send a message via MSN to Armageddon
i predict we will see a bunch of idiots predicting the end of the world and afterwards. All of us laughing at them!
Old 2012-01-07, 13:28
Party animal

df: that's not always true.

it's a long story, but at some point i found myself in at some tech support office in delhi. their working conditions are just as good as in any western company.

also consider the rise of the previously non-existant indian middle class.
i've seen how they live, and i can tell you that the quality of life of these people went in a few decades from total shit to living in style comparable to that of any western country.

so while not all of the indian people are enjoying the benefits of these changes, the average quality of life went up.
Old 2012-01-07, 21:16
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
* WiiU flops. I love Nintendo, and my 3ds is great, but I just cant see many people buying this, at least no where near Wii levels. Maybe if theres a more serious redesign before launch.
I agree that they could (and should) redesign the WiiU before launch.

My predictions: If it doesn't get a redesign it will have weak launch titles and prohibitive cost + nearly identical name and presentation to the Wii will confuse potential customers. Again. This will mean another painful start, a desperate price drop, copy and paste everything that happened with the 3DS until they regain momentum.

If it DOES get a new design, they don't rush its release, they market it carefully to make it clear it's not just a Wii bundled with an expensive tablet and manage to have a convincing line up at launch, it may do decently from the start.

Though I'm certain the price will be an issue. Hence the need for a very convincing marketing campaign. And the only way I think this could happen is this: Nintendo should delay the WiiU launch as much as they need to make it perfect, at the very least until holiday 2012.
You can't rush an ambiguously named console with prohibitive pricing that looks nearly identical to the previous one to the average Joe and expect it to do well, I hope Nintendo understood this much from the first year of life of the 3DS. We'll see. As for myself I have no motivation to buy a WiiU until the price drops and the new Smash Bros. comes out anyway.
Old 2012-01-08, 15:09
Neko

Quote:
By money as a whole I mean money as a concept.
That won't happen. Everybody has to eat.

Explain to me your alternative. And don't say trade. Because money is just a more efficient way of trading.
Old 2012-01-08, 15:24
Classic

Theres probably always going to be some unit of exchange for as long as theres jobs no one wants to do unrewarded. Could be in a radicaly different structure though.
--
Anakin - I admit I was thinking more of china, didnt know enough about india. Its not that all the working conditions are bad in china either, but they are far more lacked in regards to employies rights and health and safety conditions. In fact, this is partly why a lot of western company's use it for their manufacturing. The iPhone factory, for example, has had 13 suicides. Hardly indicates a pleasent life.
---
Lawrence - agreed. The Wii did get a few supprising last moment release's so possibly that indicates a somewhat later WiiU.
Old 2012-01-08, 18:33
strange dreamer

I hope solar energy finally becomes viable for everyone.
Old 2012-01-08, 19:03
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
That won't happen. Everybody has to eat.

Explain to me your alternative. And don't say trade. Because money is just a more efficient way of trading.
It's actually explained in detail in Zeitgeist: Moving Forward. You don't have to agree with everything they say but you can't deny they make some very good points.
Old 2012-01-08, 19:12
Neko

Cool fishos I will certainly read that be back later with comments
Old 2012-01-08, 19:31
Neko

I have to watch two hours of movie material to get your point? What is this, the sevenies?
Old 2012-01-08, 19:59
!!!!!

Hehe, closer to 3 hours, and yeah you should totally watch that, but if you just want 'my point' you can start watching from here. (by the way subtitles of all languages are included in that YouTube video, pretty cool)
Old 2012-01-09, 03:46
LOLwut?

- I predict the Iphone 5 is released, and it comes with a special edition with the face of Steve Jobs

- The PS4 and Xbox 720 are announced for 2013.

- The WiiU won't have a Zelda nor a Mario game at release.

- Half-Life 2 Ep 3 is announced

- Obrasilio gets married.

- The Dark Knight Rises left a bitter taste in our mouths.

- AMD stops doing high-end CPUs.

Old 2012-01-09, 08:51
Classic

Yes, the Zeitgeist does have good points indeed.
I especialy think they are dead-on that a lot of money we earn is spent trying to make up for the depression/misery caused by the jobs we use to get the money. The split between between work and recreation shouldnt be nearly as big as it is now for most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
I hope solar energy finally becomes viable for everyone.
Its certainly becoming more so.
Theres even company's willing to pay the initial investment for you, provided they can profit from the power you dont use (ie, they sale it back to the grid)
http://www.uenergysolar.co.uk/domestic-pv/rent-my-roof
If you buy it yourself, you get to keep that money though.

Most people also dont know that mondern solar panels generate a bit of power even in shade. They respond to more then the visible spectrum.
Not that it will cover your whole bill, but certainly a worthwhile percentage for a lot of people.