Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2012-01-10, 16:53
World Designer: Colozen

Send a message via MSN to DarkOnistar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
<snippy>
Anyway, my predictions for 2012
:

* AR specs are released
* neutrinos
* commercial spaceflights
* SOPA pass's
* People being pulled from YouTube goes up massively.
* A major (pc)publisher does their own pay what you want style HumbleBundle after seeing the insane indie success from it. This could be a start of a major shift in the pc game market.
* WiiU flops.
* There will be a significant physics breakthough.
* 3 more extra-solar planets will be found in habitable zones.
</snippy>
AR glasses are awesome in my opinion and I had it as a class discussion at college and I was laughed at told it was a stupid concept. *blink* What?! They're talking about trying to do it to contact lenses for crying out loud.

- Along a similar topic I've been told that improvements to helping the blind may be coming about. (I should look this up and see if its true and how far they are.. even with concept)

Neutrinos discussion; I was slow off the mark about this topic, but this helps explain I think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6EuN1kI7Bc

Never really thought much of commercial space-flight myself, but cool that its no longer just a concept.

SOPA is really bad in my opinion because so many things could fall under copyright and there was some discussion about how it may affect open-source software. Apparently the media industry are the biggest group pushing for this.

Dunno much about the YouTube thing; only they're changing the layout and the integration into Google+ could really be improved.

I dunno anything about that PC publisher company, although the topic sounds interesting.

I expect the WiiU to do poorly too; alot of Nintendo's concepts are ... (forgot the word, but there is one word that describes it)

If the Neutrino's experiment goes through as something new then that's something already. Although I wonder if we have anything from the LHC yet that can debunk or create new theories.

I'm slightly upset that my naming scheme for planets has been altered.
"My Very Easy Method Just Speeds Up Naming Planets" now has the word "Planets" removed as Pluto isn't considered a planet. I'm not sure what the planets in the solar system are now besides the originals; I think there are two new ones.. but that shows how much I pay attention to Astronomy.
Lord of the rings / LBA2 Spoof videos
Old 2012-01-10, 20:07
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Hay, that was the memory technique I was taught for the planets too. Theres a few. Personally I think that whole decision was silly but its already been talked about a lot elsewhere.
--
Regarding youtube, that was mostly my prediction about the fallout from SOPA Id love for it to fail, but despite huge opposition amongst tech firms, the old media companys just have too much government influence.
--
Regarding the LHC my understanding is its already eliminated a lot of possible weights for the higs-boson, so its kinda ruled out a few ¨sub theorys¨. At the very least its telling us where not to look. But if it turns out they are correct and the current value for C isnt the upper limit, that will cause all sorts of more immediate excitement.
--
As for commercial spaceflight, its a very exciting time.
These guys are ones to watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh29Pm1Rrc0
SpaceShipTwo is already taking bookings, allthough that one is sub-orbital
Old 2012-01-10, 21:19
The return of

Money's not going anywhere, and a bunch of documentary makers and their convincing yet unproven notions of an alternative are not a substitute for the current system.

The problem with zietgiest and the like is that it recognizes and explains some of the issues with contemporary banking, but the alternative they offer is poorly studied, has more holes than a filter mesh, and its main proponents have little if any credibility to their name.

Also, to believe that money will disappear in the next half a century, let alone in the next year, is completely delusional. Governments and the system move slowly, even in the face of perceived urgency.

For example, the EU and the US both currently allege that Iran is in the process of creating nuclear weapons. They voted to impose sanctions. The sanctions involve informing a handful of companies and government outlets that they may no longer purchase Iranian oil. This process, which only encompasses a minute fraction of their respective economies, is expected to take upwards of 6 months to implement.

And that's just a handful of organizations, imagine the world at large!
Old 2012-01-10, 22:00
Neko

Indeed. Things move slowly. Say another thousand years for money to go away, and that would be very, very fast. Almost lightning speed actually.
Old 2012-01-10, 22:26
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Also, to believe that money will disappear in the next half a century, let alone in the next year, is completely delusional. Governments and the system move slowly, even in the face of perceived urgency.
While I also believe it wont go quickly - remember its not likely to be governments driving the change anyway, so their speed doesnt really mater.
If people lose faith in the value of a curanacy it could vanish pretty fast regardless of what a government tries to do. I think the slow bit will be peoples faith growing in whatever replaces it.
Most likely I think you would get a ¨unofficial¨ second unit of exchange running in parallel.
Old 2012-01-10, 23:09
!!!!!

The global human society is constantly changing at an accelerating rate. Just saying.
Old 2012-01-11, 04:20
The return of

Quote:
While I also believe it wont go quickly - remember its not likely to be governments driving the change anyway, so their speed doesnt really mater.
If people lose faith in the value of a curanacy it could vanish pretty fast regardless of what a government tries to do. I think the slow bit will be peoples faith growing in whatever replaces it.
Most likely I think you would get a ¨unofficial¨ second unit of exchange running in parallel.
That's quite a hopeful statement. People power is not nearly as powerful as we delude ourselves into believing it is. When has simple people power actually contributed to solid and dramatic changes that are a complete departure from a former system?

A few examples of situations in which people power, despite hugely overwhelming public support, have contributed to relatively little change. Egypt in the Arab spring, the million man anti-war march in the UK prior to the Iraq war, the Green Revolution of Iran in 2009, and most movements that inherently exist external to a formal power structure (Government, Lobbies, Organized Opposition, Military Coup etc...).

People cannot change the system because they don't have access to the means or tools to do so. They can strike every now and then, they can protest or riot, but they cannot endure the full force of an entity, vis a vis the gov/mil, that effectively controls all the financial, military, and political assets present in that state. Its a very lopsided battle.

This argument is actually quite pointless, as all the above is based on the assumption that the people would support such a cause passionately enough to fight for it, which is most certainly not the case.

A good example is Ron Paul. While the changes he suggests are by far moderate relative to the above suggestions, the simple fact that he wishes to revert the economic system to that of the former gold standard/government issued currency has caused several huge uproars, and a barrage of insults and ridicule from his opponents on all sides.

Finally, people do not have the means to obtain necessities in the absence of currency. Many of us work in fields where physical products do not exist (online media, software, entertainment etc...), and so we would have nothing to barter with.

Even if every man and woman in a country decided today, with all their heart, that they would no longer use their currency derived wealth to purchase or sell goods, how would they go about acquiring their necessities?

Hi, I'm an actor, I'll play out a battle scenes from scarface in exchange for one of your apples.
Old 2012-01-11, 06:51
Classic

I think you misinterpreted what I said as being positive at all :P
A currency downfall with nothing to replace it can be a disastrous thing. That can happen purely by miss-management of the existing currency rather then any social uprising against it. Money demands faith in its value, and theres nothing to say that cant vanish quickly.
--
As for your other points, your basically right, but I think this is why even in the best case youd get two currancys. Youd still have one for all the jobs people fundamentally dont want to do and never will. But you could get a second tire currency, barter system, or...something...running in addition.
Think of all those MMOs...effectively producing nothing of value (other then entertainment) yet they have working montary systems and (legal or not) real world exchange rates.
I could picture other sorts of independent ..umm..¨virtual systems of exchange¨...popping up that actually did usefull things and thus without such an extream exchange rate.

I mean, put it this way, as a freelancer work I do in the US paid in dollars gives me very little at the moment. Under a certain amount the exchange rate simply means its not worth it.
But maybe if I was paid in, say, minutes of usable Skype talk time or Amazon Mechanical Turk it might look a lot more attractive for lesser values.

So I am not talking about a rapid shift to a paradise here but I can see these sorts of transitions being plausible.
--
As for Ron Paul, or anyone else in the US trying to get monetary reform. Yes, fat chance. They couldnt even get laws put in place to stop the subprime loan stuff happening again. What was it? A bill with 150 reforms, that technically passed but the (controlling) republicans refused to fund.

Oh, and I just loved the fact they had a 60 second session of the senate specifically so Obama couldnt put someone in charge of a consumer watchdog agency . (as technically that means they wernt in recess. Honestly, its like children)

Theres just so much, well, effort put into getting nothing done its incredible.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2012-01-11 at 07:07.
Old 2012-01-14, 16:32
strange dreamer

Quote:
Its certainly becoming more so.
Theres even company's willing to pay the initial investment for you, provided they can profit from the power you dont use (ie, they sale it back to the grid)
http://www.uenergysolar.co.uk/domestic-pv/rent-my-roof
If you buy it yourself, you get to keep that money though.

Most people also dont know that mondern solar panels generate a bit of power even in shade. They respond to more then the visible spectrum.
Not that it will cover your whole bill, but certainly a worthwhile percentage for a lot of people.
That's actually very interesting, thanks for the link, showing it to my dad.
What saddens me is that if this project is in it's very beginning in 1st world countries, and still not quite a popular idea, I can predict that only by 2025 or so we'll have these in 3rd world ones (if at all).

I remember reading a Wired magazine from 1994, and there was a section of predictions on "future of transportation" - can you imagine they said we'd have:

- More than 50 percent electric cars on US roads by 2010;
- Automated highway systems (autopilot) in US cities by 2010;
- Commercially viable magnetic levitation trains in US by 2010;
- Robot road workers by 2003!!!
- And last but not least Jetpacks by 2020 (ever felt like flying to work? ).
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2012-01-14, 17:29
Classic

Well, we do have jetpacks, but they only work for a few minutes or so.
Hardly "Rocketeer" stuff.
--
I think the third world wont be quite so bad thogh - they can skip past a lot of the outdated stuff so adoption will start latter but might be quicker. Also the residents might be a lot more keen of independantly produced electricity and wont be quite so hang-up on having roofs that look pretty.
Old 2012-11-20, 17:42
strange dreamer

This thread is more than 312 days old, and that means there's little time left for your predictions to come true !
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2012-11-20, 18:24
Magic Ball Master

Well, Darkflame's "SOPA passes" and "Wii U flops" predictions can be buried already. He was right on the physics breakthrough though.
Old 2012-11-20, 23:32
Polly parrot

Well, Hungary is still in a bad state. We even have (poor) propaganda now !
"What do we expect from the IMF ? Respect, confidence ! WE WON'T GIVE UP HUNGARY's INDEPENDANCE"

I'm starting to get a tad worried...
Old 2012-11-22, 03:53
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
Well, Darkflame's "SOPA passes" and "Wii U flops" predictions can be buried already. He was right on the physics breakthrough though.
true
VERY good year for science.

Think the WiiU is a little too soon to tell....
I am more optimistic but still dought it will reach Wii heights.
Old 2012-11-30, 23:13
Magic Ball Master

I'm 100% certain WW3, which will focus on wiping Israel off the map, will commence in 2014-2015. This war will include most of the neighbouring Muslim countries, Russia, and former soviet union countries.

Even though the US or any other country won't back Israel, Israel will still win in the end through divine intervention.

2012. Well Dec 21st 2012 is nothing but a sign of worse things to come.

Xchanger is there such a tool?

Or just the imagination of a boy...

amygdala

Old 2012-12-02, 21:39
Polly parrot

That's pretty pessimistic...
Old 2012-12-04, 21:08
Neko

People needing help...So? That's basically everywhere.

Btw, money as a concept is still here

Last edited by Neko; 2012-12-04 at 21:14.
Old 2012-12-04, 22:24
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
People needing help...So? That's basically everywhere.
Aye.

Also, lipstick, you're the only one here needing serious help, with all this agressive attention seeking syndrome of yours.
Just look at your past posts in the last... year. Why don't you try and be nice and say useful things just for once, hm?
Quote: