Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2014-01-06, 17:16
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Improving movies/tv

Just curious here if anyone has watched a movie and thought "pretty good, but if only they ___ it would be so much better" ?

Not intending to be humorous, though it can be. Nor is it just endings (so not just "how it should have ended" style stuff). Just things in movies or tv that you thought would make something so much better.

Heres a few I thought recently;

Speed Racer;

Spoiler:
At the end, when the car is vertical and skidding towards the finish line, Speed should have scratched out a wedding proposal to his girlfriend.
Not only would this have been a cool stunt, and out done what was mentioned earlier in the film, it would have been nice to show the character had something more important then racing on his mind.

The Dark Knight Rises;

Spoiler:
Just a personal one for me this. Robin? So lame. He shouldn't be Robin, he should have been revealed to be Terry McGinnis who is actualy supposed to be the one that takes over from Bruce.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time:

Spoiler:
Love this film. But I think the last shot should have been of her picking up a book on Relativity...the implication being she wasn't going to wait, but rather invent time travel herself. That the "leap" of the title isnt any of the time travel of the film, but rather the jump forward you she makes after....and the invention of time travel herself.

So...anyone here have any movies/tv they would want to change a little bit?
Old 2014-01-06, 21:36
!!!!!

Good thread! Didn't see any of the above movies though.

Lemme think...

Just about ever children's cartoon: Let the bad guy win. As a kid I was ALWAYS rooting for the bad guy and I was always disappointed. Those stupid smug smurfs... I reallllly wanted them to go down.

Lost: Oh there's so much... Besides the obvious (purge every single scene from the sixth season) - For instance, kill Kate. Don't kill Alex. Reveal Aaron is actually Jacob. Tell more about Walt. Kill Kate. Don't kill all the red shirts. And too much more...

Revolution: Make the main characters less megalomaniac. Tone down the violence. I stopped watching once Monroe almost massacred an entire village just to make a point.

Kyle XY: Make Kyle break up with Amanda.

V: Rickroll.

About every US show: Make the main character less selfish and self-observed. Don't make them more important than the extras (within the show's universe). I hate it when an extra's life counts for nothing, and when a main character dies all other characters cry about them.
Old 2014-01-06, 23:04
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Some good ones.
Id only slightly point out the best cartoons (just like the best shows in general) wouldn't have a well defined bad guy to start with.

And Ah, what the hell, if you bring Lost up;

LOST -
Spoiler:
Heres my very very rough draft of a new ending to Lost.
Its not intended to contradict anything cannon, just provide an additional ending that swings it all back around to pysdo-science (rather then magic/faith),fill a few plot holes, and gives some missing motivation to random characters;

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Specifically I was always bothered by some of the most important characters in the lost universe - like Hanso - we never actually saw or found out much about, despite spending ages on just about every single second of everyone's elses increasingly elaborate backstorys.
And yes, I know my writing is terrible. I wrote it after the show ended, then spent a week or two toying with the idea of filming it with my greenscreen.
I really should re-write it all a bit better. But essentially that covers every major gap that annoyed me.

BSG -
Spoiler:
Hard to recover this mess. You could go back over the show and edit out every "random mysterious event" that was never explained. You'd actually still be left with a well acted space drama/opera...that mostly resolves itself.

Kara would be hard to remove completely....but given her mystery resurrection, and random disappearance at the end....perhaps imply in that post-credit scene that she is God? (or a god)

"Do you think she will ever want to live as a human again?"
"Maybe next time she gets bored".

Bang. Not amazing, but would explain why she acted like a normal human, and never did any overtly controlled "magic" yet still came back to life in a shiny new ship. She purposely made herself think she was a human.

Ok...now that's out the way....you'd just be left with a finale where the military decides on all the civilians behalf to give up technology and "life of the land". Dooming themselves to die because they decided the lesson was "technology is bad" rather then "we are just as much arseholes as the robots".

So new ending; the military go to a forest and die off.
The civilians decide to keep their tech, and invite the old cyclons to live together as equals. Sure, it would be uneasy and hard for the first generation to get used to - but it would be a massively better message to send out.

HEROES -
Spoiler:

Just keep Slyer dead after s1. Probably peter too.

They were wayyy overpowered, and it was clear the writers struggled to think what to do with them. Imho, they held the show up - dragging so many plots down with them.
I think the popularity of Zachary Quinto as an actor made the writers blind to how much of a problem he was as a character.

So remove those two. Spend more time on the other plots.

Like lets have the end of the last season happen in, like, season 3.
And lets have some of that "Lost Room" they showed in one episode eh.
Speaking off...

The Lost Room -
Spoiler:

Critical error this show made that really frelling ruined it for me...was being a miniseries. Should have been a series darn it.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2014-01-06 at 23:37.
Old 2014-01-07, 01:07
Polly parrot

You put the "movies/tv" in the title of a thread ? Bald move

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Just about ever children's cartoon: Let the bad guy win. As a kid I was ALWAYS rooting for the bad guy and I was always disappointed. Those stupid smug smurfs... I reallllly wanted them to go down.
lol, I almost always felt that aswell ! Except for the smurfs. I mean really ? Gargamel (or what's his english name) isn't an interesting vilain at all in the cartoon, I mean look at him ! He's stupid, doesn't plan ahead, rages... In most children's cartoon the vilain is a smart guy who happens to loose because those damn heroes are more talented, but Gargamel...
In the books, he is more interesting, after all,
Spoiler:
He created the smurfette...

Nice thread indeed, btw.

12 Monkeys (anyone else here saw it ?)
Spoiler:
God do they drag that movie one and on... Finish it with the same scene it started, Cole getting killed in the airport, no need for more !

The Big Bang Theory
Sheldon... He isn't disturbing enough, they keep him politically correct and just comes across as a really weird guy... They should've given him an entirely different thought process, making him almost ununderstandable to us.

The Dark Knight
Basically the same thing, but with the Joker.

Star Wars (do I really need to put this one in spoilers ?)
Spoiler:
HOW CAN YOU CREATE THE VASTEST FICTIONAL UNIVERSE AND FAIL UTTERLY AT TELLING A STORY !!??
That damn episode III is such a mess, the key point to the whole series so badly done !
You don't think so ? Try explaining SIMPLY why Anakin switched to the dark side, and why he decided to kill all the Jedis.
"Well you see he was inlove and afraid, so he wanted the councellor to help him although loving was wrong but the Jedis wanted to kill the councellor, so technically that makes them the ennemies of democracy and..." NO !!!!
It could have been done so simply... Padme is in danger. Anakin could save her, but the Jedi council refuses because they do not trust Anakin. Result : Padme dies.
There ! That is simple and powerful, anyone seeing this would want to kill every last one of the bastards.

The dark side from here is easily explainable, to kill all the Jedis, Anakin needs power, so he goes to see Sidious, accept to be his apprentice in order to have more power and finally get his revenge.

From there, you unfold the story similarly to Lorenzzachio's (note : I haven't read it, I just heard about it, kinda like most people with the story of Oeudipus)
Anakin now has killed all the Jedis. Only one remains, Sidious himself, after all, the whole wwar was his fault... But it's so easy getting used to having power, Anakin is torture during several years, unable to kill the last Jedi, despising himself not to be strong enough. He will finally find the strength to so, after seeing his son being struck by Sidious's lightning.
That would have been so awesome (imho). Anyway, it was sure that Star Wars's story went horribly wrong when peacekeepers were made war generals.
(I have an other idea for how Star Wars should've been, but I haven't worked it out fully yet and I'm tired, so good night )

Most of the time movies know how to start off better than how to end... It's easy starting something, creating from nothing at all, harder to bring everything you developped to a meaningful ending.
Old 2014-01-07, 01:44
Classic

umm..I thought Star Wars E3 was pretty simple.
Spoiler:

I thought Anakin was tricked into thinking he needed the dark sides power to save Padme.
Pretty sure there was lines to that effect.

I just didn't get his motivation after she had died.

The Jedi council has always sadly been easily explainable; they are short silted idiots.

--
Your right about endings.
Its why writers should work backwards :P

oh, and agreed with 12 monkeys even if it has been ages since I saw it. Apparently they want to make a tv show of it now
Old 2014-01-07, 10:31
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Spoiler:
I just didn't get his motivation after she had died.
Exactly !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Your right about endings.
Its why writers should work backwards :P
Like they said in the Stanley Parable's demo " Multiple endings ? That's absurd, ending one time is hard enough. They should make a game with multiple beginnings."

A TV series out of 12 Monkeys ? Who would want to do that ?
I'm curious how it would look like though...
Old 2014-01-07, 14:49
Classic

yeah, well, its the Sci-Fi channel*
http://screenrant.com/12-monkeys-tv-show-syfy/

*(I refuse to call them "syfy" stupid marketing crap).
Old 2014-01-07, 20:48
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
What I found strange in episode III was the fact that the only reason anakin betrayed his friends was palpatine's promise of helping him save padme, but after he does so he strangles padme half to death.
brilliant piece of writing, that.
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2014-01-09, 15:55
Zebrazilla

First off I personally try my best to watch films without thinking "what if" during the process of actually watching them for the first time, even though that isn't always easy. I find even films that are a terrible mess can be more enjoyable to watch in that manner.

After having watched it, I may try to analyze any movie I've seen in a "what if" manner, especially if I really liked the premise and plot but the film was a mess in some other way.

This is usually when I end up on fanedit.org to see if anyone has made a version more akin to how I'd like to watch it. Surprisingly there are many times my wishes correspond with others alterations. A good example of this is 'The Army of Twelve the Monkeys' which is a fanedit of '12 Monkeys', unmessifying the film a lot and making a lot more enjoyable, revealing in the process the awesomesauceness of the film beneath the mess. I personally had a love-hate relationship to '12 Monkeys', but having watched 'The Army of Twelve the Monkeys that shifted into a pure love one.

I recommend checking out fanedit.org for anyone that is into this "what if"-thinking after having watched a movie. I do suggest though to try and work away from "what if"-thinking while actually watching a movie. Unless it is complete and utter horseshit and has no potential of being saved ever.

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2014-01-09, 17:59
Polly parrot

Sounds interesting... but how do I watch it ?

Quote:
All of Cole’s memory/dreams flashforbackards are gone
"flashforbackard"
Old 2014-01-09, 19:54
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless View Post
First off I personally try my best to watch films without thinking "what if" during the process of actually watching them for the first time, even though that isn't always easy. I find even films that are a terrible mess can be more enjoyable to watch in that manner.

After having watched it, I may try to analyze any movie I've seen in a "what if" manner, especially if I really liked the premise and plot but the film was a mess in some other way.

This is usually when I end up on fanedit.org to see if anyone has made a version more akin to how I'd like to watch it. Surprisingly there are many times my wishes correspond with others alterations. A good example of this is 'The Army of Twelve the Monkeys' which is a fanedit of '12 Monkeys', unmessifying the film a lot and making a lot more enjoyable, revealing in the process the awesomesauceness of the film beneath the mess. I personally had a love-hate relationship to '12 Monkeys', but having watched 'The Army of Twelve the Monkeys that shifted into a pure love one.

I recommend checking out fanedit.org for anyone that is into this "what if"-thinking after having watched a movie. I do suggest though to try and work away from "what if"-thinking while actually watching a movie. Unless it is complete and utter horseshit and has no potential of being saved ever.
That. Is. Awesome!!!

I'll probably watch the Hobbit movies that way.
Old 2014-01-24, 11:10
Classic

Only the movies themselves are hard to get
bah.
Old 2014-01-24, 12:47
Polly parrot

You mean the modified versions ?
They aren't saying anything about where/how we can watch them
Old 2014-01-24, 13:14
Zebrazilla

Indeed, it can be really tricky to get a hold of fanedits. It's sad that they have to go to such lengths of avoiding links to downloading these; Let's face it, copyright laws in most parts of the world are stupid. If anything fanedits are promoting the original work and in no way harms sales, which is also true to pirating in general. I'd recommend searching torrent indexes for specific fanedits in hope of finding a magnet link on there. I would also suggest fanedit.info, though they don't have this particular fanedit it would seem.

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2014-01-24, 15:16
Classic

Facts for the info (haha) but that site also seems a bit broken.
I am sure I can find them with enough searching, just a shame.

I can see arguements that normal piracy can hurt sales (for big things that dont need premotion)...but this? I dought anywhere near significant numbers are interested.
And, if they are, why not do it officially?

You buy a movie, you get a file. Then there can be re-arrangements, dubs, subs and re-cuts by supplying a type of playlist to VLC (or whatever).
Everyone wins.
I mean, at the moment Hollywood only gets one or two shots to get it right. Sometimes they mess up, do a "Directors Cut", but thats pretty much it.
However, if they sold "raw footage" too, and let fans just mess with it you could probably get all sorts of creative things.
"Raw footage" could include not only the film, but perhaps all the "layers" before bluescreen composition is done.

Its worth noting that Lucas, or at least his company, never minded fanedits;

" 'At the end of the day, this is about everyone just having fun with Star Wars.' She said the company did not pursue fans 'as long as nobody crosses that line—either in bad taste or in profiting from the use of our characters'.""

As long as no one sold them, it was fine.
Somehow I dought Disney is the same.
Old 2014-01-25, 15:50
!!!!!

Releasing the raw footage is an interesting idea, but it might be a bit over the top, no? Say you write a book, would you release all the scrap pages? Releasing unfinished/unpolished work is usually a bad idea imo. No one should see the working process other than the authors themselves.
Old 2014-01-25, 16:30
Polly parrot

Not as such, but I get what he means. Music would be a better example, release the sheet of the finished piece, allow anyone to modify it the way they want.
Old 2014-01-25, 17:37
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Releasing the raw footage is an interesting idea, but it might be a bit over the top, no? Say you write a book, would you release all the scrap pages? Releasing unfinished/unpolished work is usually a bad idea imo. No one should see the working process other than the authors themselves.
Well, the author (director?writer?) decides if they want too, then the viewer decides what they want to see.

I mean, I can kinda get why you sometimes might not want to know. Its like seeing how a magic trick is done can spoil the effect. Seeing the process can make you lose the immersion of the film.

On the other hand though, I think some films would get a second chance, or be more enjoyed.

In software we "debug" to improve. Wouldn't it be fascinating to try to "debug" a script? or a series? Work out all the inconsistency, iron away the unexplained bits, or things that just plane didn't work?
It might not improve the enjoyment for those that already saw something....but for those that haven't?

I mean, think of all the time, money and effort put into shows like Lost or BattleStarGallatica...only for the writers to drop the ball at the end. The shows retroactively lost a lot of their value.

With resources given to fans...to somewhat "open source" the remixing, maybe you could make something you could wholeheartedly recommenced, and thus save all that from being wasted.
Old 2014-01-25, 18:14
Polly parrot

I think that Chaosfish means that when an author decides to release a piece of work, they might be not to keen on seeing all those people cutting it apart and putting together something that might be good, but won't be what the author wanted to speak about.
Old 2014-01-25, 18:52
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

There's a good reason that authors tend not to generally release draft versions of their books etc - it's not exactly what they want to present to their audience, hence it not being in the final cut!

Actually, a lot of authors are still unhappy with the finished product though, a lot of them claim not to read their own work for fear of picking up on all the flaws. Depending on how involved the creator is in a project, they might be very unwilling to hand it over to anybody else, but if they are aware of what went wrong they might find it useful to have a new perspective on it from someone else.

It's an interesting thought.
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2014-01-26, 19:56
Polly parrot

Although I'm not sure you meant it as a compliment...

I think in the comics Gargamel sends the smurfette to create chaos in the smurfs village, I guess she doesn't have the same chemical properties as the other smurfs...
Old 2014-01-26, 21:39
Classic

Quote:
did you know that the smurfs are literally the philosopher's stone?
O_o
Old 2014-01-27, 19:55
Classic

It means "That is something I genuinely did not know, and found quite interesting/surprising". (about the smurfs)
The O_o is meant to represent someones eyes, like "that's weird!"
--
Also, can you make your sig smaller please? either reduce font size, or remove a few quotes...its just a bit big.
Old 2014-01-27, 20:00
Polly parrot

Keep mines in please !

Wait... you always do stuff to piss people off... Does that mean you'll only remove my quotes now ?
Old 2014-01-27, 20:34
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Keep mines in please !

Wait... you always do stuff to piss people off...
Wut?