Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2015-01-12, 19:37
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Post 2014: Review

Its stupid to review a whole year.
Too much happens. Too much is released. Its a Apples to Spaceships comparison.

So lets do it

What's peoples best/worst things of the year?

Personal/Public/News or Media/Important or Frivolous.

Just list things as you think of them, no need for big posts (unless you want).

Also, put a +X or -X in the post to represent how good or bad it is. (keep X to under +/-10 at most).

We will then at the end add it up for this years definitive and not at all utterly meaningless score.
Old 2015-01-13, 00:26
strange dreamer

+10 reading the comics "A Distant Neighbourhood" by Jirö Taniguchi as recommended by Polaris and Lupin.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2015-01-14, 01:15
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Lots of good movies I enjoyed this year. Hollywood seemed to actually put big budgets behind decent scripts for once. Superhero stuff ( GotG, Captain America 2, Xmen DofFP I found downright fun, surprisingly political, and solid character pieces in that order).
"Childrens" movies hit it out the park too. The Lego Movie was....great. How To Train Your Dragon 2 was impressive too...sort of felt like Star Wars ESB in a really weird way.

+8

The Toy Story short this year was disappointing. Not bad as such, but "Of Terror" was far more funny and a little more creative.

My favourite biscuit (Dark Chocolate Hobnobs) was discontinued!

Old 2015-01-15, 09:32
Polly parrot

I've been to a lot of awesome concerts done by jazz musician teaching at an awesome summer camp !
+10 ! (and I'm not exaggerating)

This year was the last installment of a fantastic summercamp that I've been to every year since I was 11... I mean really
Old 2015-02-26, 04:37
strange dreamer

The movie Lucy (2014) was awesome, and I'm surprised that given the amount of science fiction enthusiasts in this forum, noone mentioned it yet. +4
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2015-02-26, 11:10
Polly parrot

Never heard about it, what kind of movie is it ?
Old 2015-02-26, 15:23
Classic

About unlocking hidden powers in the brain.
I saw it, was ok, very creative effects. - but I think I wasn't too impressed plotwise because many ideas I saw elsewhere. Also, I love Luc Bason's work but shame on him for repeating that "Humans use 10% of the brain" lie. Thats never been true but it gets repeated so much it piss's me off

Anyway, Limitlessis a more realistic take on the same idea. Completely different tonely, but essentially the same premise. (Drug unlocks hidden brain capacity in someone)

Pretty sure both Stargate and Star Trek have covered the idea too. And another film but I cant quite remember it.
Old 2015-02-26, 15:26
Classic

Shit stuff in the UK
Internet censorship and mass spying. Shame on england.

Books
Dodger I enjoyed a lot, I think Prachetts best non-discworld book.

+5
Old 2015-02-26, 18:42
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
shame on him for repeating that "Humans use 10% of the brain" lie. Thats never been true
Wha---!??
Quote:
Old 2015-02-26, 19:04
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
Wha---!??
Yep, it's a really prevalent and annoying myth! However, brain imaging shows that all areas of the brain are active all the time - some much more than others, but no area is completely non-functional. Different areas of the brain are responsible for different functions and we have yet to find an area which doesn't map to a function! There is no area of the brain that can be damaged without giving rise to serious problems.
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2015-02-26, 20:25
Neko

Yeah.
Just like a lot of stuff it gets repeated because it sounds nice.
Old 2015-02-26, 20:31
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia View Post
Yep, it's a really prevalent and annoying myth! However, brain imaging shows that all areas of the brain are active all the time - some much more than others, but no area is completely non-functional. Different areas of the brain are responsible for different functions and we have yet to find an area which doesn't map to a function! There is no area of the brain that can be damaged without giving rise to serious problems.
Wha-- Mia is still active!?!

( )

Whoever made up this myth must have used 10% of his brain. On a serious note, isn't it that we do use all areas of the brain, but only 10% of it's processing power? Like, most areas are active however in a "vegetable" state, whereas we could actively control everything, something like that?
Quote:
Old 2015-02-26, 22:06
Classic

The brains very adapatable. Very very adaptable. But its likely any increase in one ability will be a decrease elsewhere.
That said there has been cases where people have lost a lot of brain matter early in their life, or even a defect from birth, and have gone on to be nearly normal.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2014...h-half-a-brain

The brain is still freaking amazing.

The other amazing demo of how adaptable the brain is; You can plug in prosthetics or even a (very simple) webcam into the brain at only roughly the right region and (with training) the brain eventually learns how to use it.
The brain adapts to the techs signals, not the other way around. Its THAT good at learning.
Old 2015-02-26, 22:46
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
Wha-- Mia is still active!?!
I wouldn't go so far as to say active but I pop in occasionally :P
Old 2015-02-27, 03:00
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
First on a negative note (don't worry, there's positive things about 2014 too, just keep reading and excuse my long-windedness).

There was the US-/EU-backed (neo-)Nazi takeover of Ukraine, related massacres (February 20th massacre of 8 buses of Crimean people stopped on their way back from Kiev, burned away, and all people in them beaten up with sticks enveloped in chains and nails; Odessa May 2nd massacre where Neo-Nazi's burnt pro-Russians alive in the Trade Unions building; and the Mariupol' massacre which was similar to the Odessa massacre), Crimea leaving Ukraine and joining Russian (been about time too), new Kiev government attempting to pass a law (later cancelled) removing the co-official status of the Russian language (spoken by at least half the country), protests calling for federalization in southern and eastern Ukraine and recognition of Russian language as co-official in those regions that ended in a lot of the protesters being imprisoned for political reasons, and those remaining taking up arms and doing the same thing the neo-Nazi's did in Kiev (ie. taking over Government buildings), but with the whole West condemning it as a "Russian invasion" (LMAO), and the Ukrainian Government (more like Junta) in Kiev responding with essentially an undeclared but real civil war which still hasn't fully stopped.
Oh and the MH17 being shot down by the Ukrainians, and the rebels and Russian blamed for it by the West.
And let's not forget the US and EU spreading their fairy tale of evil Russia and poor Ukraine (yes, poor Ukraine, worshipping Stepan Bandera who committed atrocious massacres during World War II. and collaborated with none other than Nazi Germany itself), and sanctioning Russia over it, something that already backfired because Russia responded with counter-sanctions (read: embargo against all European countries that partook in the sanctions) which essentially means the EU shot itself in the leg.
And the US constantly sending "non-lethal weapons" to Ukraine (read: English-speaking armed guys, some of which were already caught by the rebels) and thinking about sending lethal weapons.
Of course, very few Western media telling the truth, and instead spinning pro-Ukrainian/anti-Russian propaganda, which means anyone who wants the truth of what's going on needs to also examine what the Russian media says, as well as the live streams, witness accounts, etc. widely circulating on Russian social networks such as VK.com (FYI, my mother saw the Odessa massacre live on two different streams - one by some pro-Russians that stayed outside, the other by Ukrainian nationalists).

Oh, and then we have the rise of ISIS in the Middle East, a direct result of the US arming certain people in Syria (but of course, our dear Western media conveniently omit that fact), as well as in Libya (maybe Gaddafi, no matter how bad he was, was better after all).
On a related note, Islamic fundamentalist group Boko Haram started going on a rampage throughout Nigeria in late 2014.

Then we have the Ebola outbreak that was on the headlines for months last year, with the constant fear of the disease hitting our countries too (cases were reported in some parts of Europe, such as Spain, as well as in the US).

And then there's the Scotland referendum, which IMHO was rigged by the UK to obtain a pro-Union (ie. anti-secession) result. And of course the planned Catalan referendum that never was because Spain forbade it, and apparently forbidding people from expressing their will is somehow in line with the West's self-declared support for freedom and democracy.

Protests in Hungary against Viktor Orbán, and claims that the US embassy in Budapest was involved with them, however that's so far unproven, however not impossible considering the US, as well as the EU, are known for their dislike of Orbán's independent policies.
People protesting with red cards (confirmed handed out by the US embassy in Prague by a friend of mine who lives in the Czech Republic), so coincidentally shortly after Czech President Miloš Zeman switched his line from "**** Russia" to "the mess in Ukraine needs to stop now, as well as the damned sanctions against Russia".

On a positive note through, a new dinosaur, Kulindadromaeus zabaikalicus, has been discovered in Siberia and essentially proves that most probably most or even all dinosaurs had feathers.

The EU finally started talking about the possibility of imminent economic recovery (let's hope for the best!).

Queen released a remastered and expanded version of their Rainbow Theatre 1974 concert on CD, DVD, and BluRay (as well as LP for collectors), and a new compilation, Queen Forever, which includes two new tracks - There Must Be More To Life Then This (Queenized version of a Freddie Mercury duet with Michael Jackson, ruined by mr. William Orbit who was taked with the mix, and the Jackson estate forbade Brian and Roger from releasing their own, superior mix), and Let Me (In Your Heart Again), a hitherto unreleased Queen song that's actually very nice!

Windows Premiere Edition, a stepping stone on the road to the final version of Microsoft Windows 1.0(1), has finally seen the light of the day after BetaArchive member Alias provided floppy images of it.

Windows 10 Technical Preview was released, and it brings back the Start Menu! Seems Microsoft finally saw the light.

Germany won the World Cup, something I actually liked, as I rooted for Germany in the final.

Oil prices went down, with it gasoline prices too, which while sadly bad for Russia, it's good for us in the EU as it caused prices of everything to go down a bit.

And on a personal note, I have finally started moving away from Visual Basic 6.0. I use it less and less these days and am actively learning how to make Win32 GUI programs in C.
Old 2015-02-27, 11:29
Polly parrot

Have you ever heard of Phineas Gage ? Guy had his brain pierced by a big metal chunk, but he seemed fine, he went to the doctor and said "Here's some work for you"
It changed his personality though, he became a lot more irritable. Brains are really complicated and interesting...
Old 2015-02-27, 14:46
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Have you ever heard of Phineas Gage ? Guy had his brain pierced by a big metal chunk, but he seemed fine, he went to the doctor and said "Here's some work for you"
It changed his personality though, he became a lot more irritable. Brains are really complicated and interesting...
If I'm not mistaken he became so angry and impulsive that he was fired from his job and tried to make money going from town to town as a freak show till he died from a massive epileptic fit a few years later.

Physiologically, what happened to him was roughly equivalent to a lobotomy of one of the hemispheres of his brain. Nevertheless, the fact that he could function with part of his brain missing provided evidence that different areas of the brain did different jobs, as opposed to the whole brain doing all jobs, something that was in contention at the time. Very interesting.

Side note: I seem to only comment on this forum these days to spout medically related trivia and then disappear back into the shadows for a few months.
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  cout<<"Regards,\nDino-Fly\n";
 cin.get();
}
Old 2015-02-27, 17:50
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
As with most things, I know a song about that.

Another interesting thing about that case is that the mental changes don't seem to have been permanent and he made a kind of "social recovery", suggesting that the brain is able to compensate for damage somehow.
Old 2015-02-27, 18:11
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
a direct result of the US arming certain people in Syria (but of course, our dear Western media conveniently omit that fact),
Actually, Ive seen both British and us sources mention that fact.
Ok, in the US it was the Daily Show, but it was something at least.

In many (but not all) cases I think the west, and particular America, does try to do the right thing, but often though ignorance or bad planing fucks it up. And their weapons always end up in the wrong hands latter. I mean, countless times.
I often wondered why they cant just invent weapons that completely break after a set time. Its not ideal, but if there cant be a social solution surely thats a technical improvement? Build in obsolescence to the things. Its not like they dont have the budget to invent any weapon they want.

Quote:
On a positive note through, a new dinosaur, Kulindadromaeus zabaikalicus, has been discovered in Siberia and essentially proves that most probably most or even all dinosaurs had feathers.
I'm still annoyed at Jurassic World.
If you cant make a feathered thing scary fire your concept artists.

Quote:
Windows 10 Technical Preview was released, and it brings back the Start Menu! Seems Microsoft finally saw the light.
Native support for AR gets a +10 from me, but then I am a fanboy of that tech and long campaigned it needs to be a OS level thing.
I'm sure their device will be expensive and with issues. But it shows surprising vision from Microsoft, something I have not seen from them in awhile. (well, aside from interesting papers but not in actual products)
Old 2015-02-27, 18:20
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia View Post
Another interesting thing about that case is that the mental changes don't seem to have been permanent and he made a kind of "social recovery", suggesting that the brain is able to compensate for damage somehow.
Interesting that the brain (or at least, his particular brain) had some plasticity so late in life, usually when we think of things like that it only applies to young children. I know there is an experimental surgery that involves the removing of one hemisphere of the brain in children. Generally the younger the child is when the surgery is done, the better the recovery, because the increased plasticity means the remaining half can take over the functions of the removed half surprisingly well (provided the child receives intensive rehabilitative therapy from the get-go).

Here's a video I quickly google'd about a child with said surgery:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/VaDlLD97CLM
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  cout<<"Regards,\nDino-Fly\n";
 cin.get();
}
Old 2015-02-27, 19:18
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
I'm still annoyed at Jurassic World.
If you cant make a feathered thing scary fire your concept artists.
So am I. Back in 1993, Jurassic Park brought to the world the latest up to date presentation of the dinosaurus. Now in 2015, its latest sequel, Jurassic World, does the contrary of that and presents a long outdated (by 2015 knowledge standards) presentation.
At least there's Dinosaur Island though which will include feathered dinosaurus, including a feather T. rex. I so want to see that.
Old 2015-02-27, 22:13
Magic Ball Master

Moved to Dublin, had to left back everything. It was a good choice anyway

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2015-02-27, 22:25
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
So am I. Back in 1993, Jurassic Park brought to the world the latest up to date presentation of the dinosaurus. Now in 2015, its latest sequel, Jurassic World, does the contrary of that and presents a long outdated (by 2015 knowledge standards) presentation.
At least there's Dinosaur Island though which will include feathered dinosaurus, including a feather T. rex. I so want to see that.
Never heard of it.
I assume its this one;

And yes, they look much nicer, if lower budget.
Old 2015-02-27, 22:56
Welcome to Zirla!

- Darkflame: Yeah, that's it! It's the first and so far only thing to show feathered dinosaurs. Well apart from that semi-comical documentary about the T. rex from some years ago (which ends with T. rex presenting his "new look" (ie. feathered) on a ceremony and eating the presenter).
Old 2015-02-27, 23:05
Classic

Hmm..I notice people arguing in the comments still.
-sigh-
Yeah, there might be no proof that T-rex specifically had feathers, but its still far better then pretending they all didn't when theres good evidence now for dozens of them. Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence and all that.