Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2002-08-10, 16:20
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Anyone know where to get a internal serial cable?

I've recently had to sent up two PC's to transfere files between them, and I've discovered one of the com ports on my 6 year old PC isn't working.
Unfortunatly this means I can't use a mouse and the network cable at the same same. (both use serial ports)
I've tested the motherboards ports, and it seems fine, so I just need an internal cable, but I cant seem to find any online store that sales them. (except for a US place that didn't export)
Even my local Maplins didn't have one
Any ideas?
(need blue cable showen for red socket )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	insidedapc.jpg‎
Views:	115
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1146  
Old 2002-08-10, 17:48
Magic Ball Master

I really wouldn't have an idea. Maybe it's possible to make your own, if you have documentation?
Old 2002-08-10, 18:02
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Not really, I could make the cable maybe, but Id still need the serial end.
I cant believe there isn't more places that sale it, anyone making a PC from scratch would need at least 2 of these cables
Old 2002-08-10, 20:49
Magic Ball Master

Newer pc's usually have serial ports right on the motherboard, so it doesn't needs those cables.

Well, if I would need a cable like those I would probably visit the "electronica/pc shop on the corner" shop. If they wouldn't have it I'd probably fetch it out of an old pc lying around here or somewhere else (I have a friend who has lots of ripped off old pc's for example).
Old 2002-08-10, 21:05
Classic

You cant have the sockets direct on the motherboard, howd that work
Im pretty sure the standared is still a 10 pin motherboard connector.
Old 2002-08-10, 21:19
Magic Ball Master

Oops, I just meant that a modern motherboard has two serial ports already. On the board itself, so no sockets for cables. I guess those pins are also available on newer ones.

edit: just checked, I don't have any connectors for cables like this on my motherboard. I checked the manual, the connectors are fan power supplies, Wake on Ring, Wake on Lan, IR header, additional USB ports, but no serial ports.

Last edited by wacko; 2002-08-10 at 21:25.
Old 2002-08-10, 21:38
Classic

Seems like a bit of a design ovesite to me....because you can have 25 pin or 9 pin serial ports right?
Haveing them pre-set on the motherboard is a bit unfair if you got two devices that need X connection.
-
Sure your motherboard isn't just hidding them?
(ie, maybe if you unscrew the serial ports you will see they plug into a 10-pin slot under it)
-
Anyway, it dont help me.
Ive sent an email to a few local stores, none have the cable in the cataloges, but they must have them.
Old 2002-08-10, 23:20
Your God

Send a message via ICQ to Phoenix
New motherboards have the peripheral ports hardwired to the board so there is no interconnector lead like the one you need.

Have you tried asking for a serial port connector plate, usually you'll get the metal blanking plate with a 9pin and 25pin socket on and the 2 leads coming off the back, it'd be online stores only though as new computers dont need them so you wouldn't get them in a store.

You have 3 further options. If it's the 9pin connector you need, which I assume because thats what serial-serial cables are usually, then can't u just start up windows, unplug the mouse then put the serial cable in and control it with the keyboard?

Secondly, does it have a PS2 mouse port? If so you can get serial to PS2 mouse adaptors, therefore freeing your 9pin serial port.

Lastly, I have what you need
Old 2002-08-11, 11:48
Classic

Thats the exact problem, I want the mouse
I can transefere files, OR use the mouse.
--
Can someone take a picture of these "new" motherboard types, it seems a real step backward to me
I mean, what if you want a new socket, or have a different type of serial socket wtf are you supposed to do?
And does the serial socket stick out at 90 degees to the motherboard plane? (else how would it allign with outside holes)
===
I have an 2*internal Com ports, 1*internal PS2 port, 1*internal USB.
I need cables for all of them, I only have a cabel that leads outside for the com ports, and one of thems busted.
I can get a internal USB cable no problem, maplins and many online stores sale them. I need that for a new digital camera I was given.
--
This is what I need:
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/idc-11016a.html
I refuse to believe theres no where else that sales it.
=====
Well, thats my last choice
Ive written to a few local stores, so I might get one in the next few days if Im lucky.
I admit the only reason I want it now is so I can play some network games with my friends.
We like stratergies, which are kind of impossible without a mouse.
Old 2002-08-11, 12:03
Magic Ball Master

This is a pic of (not a total coincidence) my motherboard.

The serial ports are underneath the large pink parallel port. They're indeed turned 90 degrees.

You can also see it at this pic:

(this one also has onboard video, so it seems)
Old 2002-08-11, 14:40
Your God

Send a message via ICQ to Phoenix
Why can I not find anything on the KY7A chipset/motherboard? It doesn't appear to exist.

What CPU and RAM type does it take? It's just it has an ISA slot and I had to abandondon my ISA Awe64 'cause my GA-7ZXE board doesn't have ISA slots, neither did any of the XP chipset boards have any.

DF, send me £5 and i'll send you a cable.

-Edit-

Nevermind, the header on the picture is wrong, twats! Its KT7A and only goes upto 1.2Ghz Athlon.

Last edited by Phoenix; 2002-08-11 at 14:49.
Old 2002-08-11, 15:17
Magic Ball Master

I wouldn't recommend this motherboard for brand new pc's (I've had this pc for over a year) but I believe it does support all Athlon XPs with a bios update. You won't find an ISA slot on much newer mobos though.

Last edited by wacko; 2002-08-11 at 15:23.