Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2003-04-14, 16:44
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
The Wind Waker Review

Ok, after months of horrible torture waiting for it to be released, and another 2 weeks of extending waiting after discovering it was dilvered to my parents house, I finaly have it:

The Legand Of Zelda: The Wind Waker

As with all Zelda games, this is a huge event.
The last major zelda game, Ocarina of Time (1998) was universaly acclaimed to be the greatest game of all time
While you may disagree with this (as LBA fans should ), a quick look at Metacritic shows that is highly regarded among many different magazines.
Its has the highest average review score of any game, ever, in fact.

Now, I finaly have LoZ:TWW and have played about half-hours worth of it.
Not enough to judge the game by any means, but im just going to give first impressions for now.

I am NOT going to give many comments as to its cell-shaded nature, as this has been done to death in many forums and magazines.
I personaly am neutral on the graphics, feeling they make little difference to the gameplay.
However, Cell Shading does have some huge adventages:
1. Allows more time to be spent on gameplay, as texture mapping can be far simplar.
2. It allows the charecters expressions to show up better.

Gameplay:
The game plays so far very much like Ocarina of Time, controlls are almost identical.
In my view this is a good thing, as OoT controlls were perfect, and many features of them (like "z-lock on") have been copyed in countless games since.

The first island and "dungeon" (allthough its not) are about the right difficulty in my view.
Nice mix of exploring and fighting, allthough perhapes you are "led" a bit too much.
There is a now 'traditional' searchlight/gaurd bit, which is simerlar to OoT, but its different enough to feel fresh and well done.

There are some neat additions to the gameplay already accessable, like being able to steal and enemies weapon.
Im sure this is the tip of the iceberg though

Humour:
The game so far has been much more funny then OoT.
The expressions of pain on links face when you roll him headlong into a wall are great.

Also, the game now has a much more advanced physics engine, allowing you to run around peoples house smashing plates and knocking stuff of shelfs.
great fun

Music:
Allthough great quality, and quite atmospheric, the tunes are no were near as epic as OoTs ones
When you turned on OoT it instantly felt "special".
So much so it really felt like you were expirencing a tunring point in history.
Sadly, (so far) Wind Wakers music lakes this.

Story:
The story so far could be sumed up quite lamely:
Big Bird, Carrying Girl, Pirates, Bang Bang, Bird Down, Forest, Link, Saves, Bird Again, Links Sister, Swoop, Buy Buy, Link Upset, goes after her, Pirates again.
[/ever watch Dead Ringers?]

Im also upset they have tried to give it a history.
Their implying that this "link" is somehow a relative to the earlier links.
I personaly dont like this.

However, its earlier days, and the plot is different , which is a very good thing in my view
(same goes for Mario Sunshine...)
Also, the Dialoge and charecter expressions are excelent which adds to the atmospher a bit.
Old 2003-04-14, 19:11
I may LOOK innocent

It's nice and all, but what's your point?

I was going to buy it already, knowing the reviews it got.

In any case, nice review
Who become unhappy mothers
And fathers of unhappy kids
And why's that?
'Cause they've forgotten how to play
Old 2003-04-14, 20:40

I still say LttP is the best Zelda game myself.

But then I don't have WW yet. Damn your eyes.

()
Old 2003-04-15, 01:07
*idle*

Nice, now I only need the money for a GC and WW . I'm still planning to buy one sooner or later for Pikmin and Animal Crossing.
[19:50] (CrazyBee) "Dont try to talk to fw. It's imposible. 
Only try to realise that fw talks to you"
Old 2003-04-16, 12:44
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally posted by Twinsal
It's nice and all, but what's your point?
I thought it was an important release, and a thread for people to post there views in would be nice.
Old 2003-04-16, 23:07
Magic Ball Master

Exclamation

Warning potential spoilers ahead!!

Currently in my journey through the Wind Waker I have finished all but the last main dungeon and I have 3 of the 8 triforce shards (now as of 6:20pm EST I have 7 shards). I feel as though the game so far is amazing! The intro story in my opinion was a great way to explain the Zelda saga. My only gripe is that it should be a bit harder.

BTW that Tingle guy gives me the creeps does anyone else feel the same way?

Last edited by DedalousDiggle; 2003-04-17 at 01:25.
Old 2003-04-17, 22:38
Magic Ball Master

Nice review Darkflame, kinda agrees with my opinion of the game from what I have seen of it so far. I would have to say though that my favourite Zelda is either OoT or Majora's Mask, but I might like Majora's Mask just a little bit more.
Old 2003-04-17, 22:41
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to johnnybrubacker
Thumbs Down

i didnt like majoras mask at all the others were excellent though
Old 2003-04-17, 22:42
Magic Ball Master

Majora's Mask no good? I admit it was shorter than OoT, but I really liked the dark themes, music and ability to shape-change with masks.
Old 2003-04-18, 00:22
inharmonic explorer

I agree Bush. It felt a LOT darker than OoT.

I hope the new one isn't piss easy-that ruins games for me. I like a bit of a challenge...Mario Sunshine mostly delivered that (though I found it too linear)

Tell me more Darkflame! I need to be prepared for dissapointment in case it doesn't meet my HIGH expectations...
Old 2003-04-18, 00:28
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to johnnybrubacker
ive always liked zelda as an action game, mom had too much thinking
Old 2003-04-18, 08:16
I may LOOK innocent

Darkflame> That's ok. But then I wonder why you didn't make one for Metroid Prime (or Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1 & 2) They are beautiful too, especially MP (I'm not a real FPS fan, but this game is different from the rest)

Erh, Enough about that, Zelda games rule!!!!!!! I like ALTTP the most at the moment, the dark and light world are brilliant. BUt I don't think TWW will dissapoint me. None of the Legend of Zelda's has.
And why's that?
Old 2003-04-18, 13:10
Still in a dream...

You know what I would like to see more than any Zelda game?
A remake of FFVII on PS2 as they were planing. With voices and stuff. That would be cool...... even you Zelda fans have to admit Final Fantasy 7 is one of the best games of all time.
Old 2003-04-18, 16:25
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Pandemona
That would be cool...... even you Zelda fans have to admit Final Fantasy 7 is one of the best games of all time. [/B]
Yeah, you've only told that to me 1,000,000 times. But yes Darek, that would be quite nice from what I've heard of FF7.
Old 2003-04-18, 21:25
Magic Ball Master

Hello again I'm now in the final dungeon "Ganon's Tower" it's very cool. I think that Metroid Prime was awesome Metroid Fusion was cool too.
Old 2003-04-19, 08:42
I may LOOK innocent

Metroid P & F weren't only cool but ARE cool.
And why's that?
Old 2003-04-19, 18:11
Still in a dream...

I played Metroid Prime at CS2x' house. And, I admit, its a fucking brilliant game. The first area was beuitifully made.
My thumbs up for Nintendo Gamecube and Metroid Prime.
Old 2003-04-20, 07:01
Magic Ball Master

I got mine the day of the NTSC release, and have completed the first quest (hint hint, there's more after you beat it)

Let me tell you, I am quite impressed. When I have more time later, I'll post more thoroughly, but for now, let's just say the good and bad from my view:

Good:
-Sweet graphics!

-Original story, which follows the idea of the bloodline of "Link's and Zelda's"

-Excellent Control

Bad:

-Cel shading...whoa, I guess it does push the processor, because when there is alot of action on the screen, MAJOR SLOWDOWN, but not too bad.

-Too short of a game, which is why I still think OoT is the best Zelda ever.

Double-J
Old 2003-04-22, 14:16
Classic

Quote:
Originally posted by Twinsal
Darkflame> That's ok. But then I wonder why you didn't make one for Metroid Prime (or Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1 & 2) They are beautiful too, especially MP (I'm not a real FPS fan, but this game is different from the rest)
I should have, its not saleing nearly as well as it should
Its certianly one of the greatest games ever made, not a FPS at all really.
I havnt played much of PSO to review it.
---
Quote:
Tell me more Darkflame! I need to be prepared for dissapointment in case it doesn't meet my HIGH expectations...
Indeed...comming right up....
(Im going to0 catch up with other posts first, Ive been disconnected for a long while).

========
oh, and as for Majoras Mask, I loved it.
I absolutely love any game that approaches 4th demensionality

But the masks were cool too, I loved rolling as a Goron.

And I think the bit near the end was on of the most wonderfully created sequences in any game either.
It was just jaw-droppingly in my view
(the idea as well as the graphics)

I wish someone would create a true 4D game though, where you controlled time directly. (say, with the C-stick).
The Xbox game Blinx was the closest yet, but i found the game "messy" and disapointingly just a platform game.
Still, it was truely 4 demensional, and for that it was groundbraking.

*If any game designers are reading this, contact me, Ill give you my 4D game idea outline for free*

Last edited by Darkflame; 2003-04-22 at 15:40.
Old 2003-04-22, 15:31
Classic

Ok, Wind Waker Review Part 2

ok, I havnt been playing it as much as I liked, as theres only one TV in the house which I can use my GC on (long story), and my parents are always using it
However, Im a fair bit into the game now.
Ive got the 3 pearls, which act much like the "introduction" dungeons in Ocarina of Time.

So far.........

Gameplay:

WOW....kicks in big time now, some of the new tools and abilities are amazing. Even subtly things like being able to push yourself against the wall or "peep" around the corner.
Then theres rope swinging, Ive always liked that (see:Worms, Metroid Prime).
A few of your new items take time to master too, its not instantly easy.
Some of the puzzles are sooo clever too, you kick yourself when you get them

As far as difficulty goes, I think its about right.
Once or twice you seem to get things a bit too easily. (like the 3rd Pearl).
This is probably due to the 2 dungeons they had to cut out to meet the release deadline
(I blame all you peeps that kept moaning about the OoT delays for that!!!! Nintendos actualy trying to meat deadlins thanks to you )

But the dungeons so far Ive found just challenging enough, at least, for introduction ones.

Theres lots of ways to do the same bit too, which is nice. So if you cant do it one way, you can try another way.
Seems to have lots of reply value.
(I mean, Ive done the first few bits about 6 times when showing my friends the game ).

However, I think your "led" a bit too much though the first bits.

Humour:

The game has got even more funny since I last commented, its certainly funnier then Oot by a long way now.
Then again, humour varies from person to person...I feel about laughing at his little sister shouting "Oii!!!"

Music:

Its got better, I love the sailing/ocean music, really nice feel to it
Lots of new tunes as well as the hyrule field type music.
Also new versions of old tunes (Like at the Deku tree, listen carefully, its got the old tune withen the new tune)

Story:

Im starting to apprieate the story more now, its all nicely tied together, many threads going simulatanously.
Still dosnt feel as epic as Ocarina of time, but certainly is more complex.

GBA link Up:

*attention this is an extreamly cool feature*

When In read about this I thought it was a neat gimick, but now Ive played it, ive released its a huge expansion that effectly makes Zelda 2 player!
You need a GBA, and a GC/GBA link lead.
No cartridge needed for the GBA.
You also need to find and release Tingle on the GC game.

The player using the GBA gets an overhead map of the area Link is in, and can explorer around it as a disaboyed green target (your supposed to be that tingle freak).

You can drop bombs for 10r each, as the main feature, but theres so much more.
Certain things only appear on the GBA map, you can activate stuff, you can make stuff appear.
You can examine stuff, like doors, switchs, enemies.
You can do LOTS on the gba.
Even simply stuff like checking a door before link goes in, so you can tell the other player whats inside. (think about it, how many times have you gone in/out of doors looking for the correct building?)

For more money you can even give Link a ride on a balloon, or sale him health or magic.
Theres even hidden statues to find in the dungeon, which the GBA player needs to activate for link.

But dont let that destract you from the fun of dropping bombs
Certain things can only be bombed with the GBA, leading to lots of secrets and such.

Multiplayer Zelda might be weird, but its not just a gimick, its a great addition to the game

Secrets:

It looks like the game is packed full of them, I keep seeing ledges, items, islands, people looking at stuff, lots and lots of stuff that dosnt look nesscery to the game.

Im particular interested in some place called the "Nintendo Gallery" I just found.....

Last edited by Darkflame; 2003-04-22 at 15:44.
Old 2003-04-22, 19:05
Magic Ball Master

The nintendo gallery is a place that once you get the deluxe pictobox from Lenzo on Windfall island, (which you get by finding the basic pictobox from within Tingle's jail cell and completing Lenzo's tasks) you can take pictographs of all the people from the game and a figurine will be made out of each of them at the nintendo gallery.
Old 2003-05-02, 18:16
Somewhere

Send a message via AIM to ellimac Send a message via MSN to ellimac Send a message via Yahoo to ellimac
My brother can't stop telling me "Camille ! The legend begins in 1 day, 13 hours, and 54 minutes !......Oh my God, it changed, 53 minutes left now !!!"

Because of him I can't stop drawing triforces in my school copybooks.
And I changed the ringing of my mobile phone into Wind Waker's new music !

LinX:
* vote for LBA here !!!
* find out what raynal said A LONG TIME ago here !!!
* get to listen to my midi version of LBA's Theme here !!! (or (the beginning of) my own LBA's Theme mp3 version??)
* See my 1st Franco parade drawing here !!! (and relentlessly encourage me to finish the 2nd one!)
* Wish me happy birthday more than 6 months late here !!!
Ok elli, let's just STOP here, ok???
Old 2003-05-02, 19:27
Classic

hehe
Well, some shops are saling it now.
Old 2003-05-02, 19:37
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via AIM to StarmanDX Send a message via MSN to StarmanDX
I reserved it, it's my birthday on Tuesday. Yay for me
Old 2003-05-02, 19:43
Magic Ball Master

I've had the game for weeks.