Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2003-08-15, 18:57
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
For anyone even thinking about getting an Xbox....

I thought you might like to know about two things:

1. Xbox PC emulators are comming along nicely:
http://www.zophar.net/xbox.html

And while they cant actualy play games yet, it wont be long now.

2. If you where thinking about buying one for its multimedia abilities, why not pick up a much more versitle; cheap;
www.mini-itx.com

3. Halo is no longer microsoft exclusive.

An improved version of the first game is comming to PC, and HALO2 is also comming out on PS2. (and probably other formats).

Yes, this is a stupid thread, and yes, I flucking hate microsoft and dont want to see them get a foothold in another industary.They havnt made a profit from the Xbox yet, and I dont want them too ever.
However, the real reason for this thread is I am shocked at just how quickly the Xbox emulators are progressing.
Thres even one that claims to run HALO.

Anyone tested any of these emulators out yet?
Old 2003-08-15, 19:11
Magic Ball Master

I guess you'd say it's too late for me.
But I like my x-box.
And as much as all of you love to bash microsoft, most of us here wouldn't be online without them.

Last edited by DedalousDiggle; 2003-08-15 at 19:17.
Old 2003-08-15, 19:26
LBA fan

I wouldn't buy a X-Box and I dislike Microsoft very much, but I think the first step of anyone who wants to get rid of it should be not using what makes them exist, i.e., their proprietary operational system.

Read this, and learn how nice is Microsoft.
And support free software ^^

Last edited by Medur; 2003-08-15 at 19:33.
Old 2003-08-15, 19:32
I may LOOK innocent

Df> By now, we all know you hate Microsoft and Sony and that you feel good when there happens something bad with them. But I think you're overdoing it. Some people DO like the X-box (or PS2) (yes, you heard it right), and to be honest, these aren't really good reasons why not to buy one. X-box is quite decent (allthough I wish it was never created in the first place).
Who become unhappy mothers
And fathers of unhappy kids
And why's that?
'Cause they've forgotten how to play

Last edited by Twinsal; 2003-08-15 at 20:18.
Old 2003-08-15, 20:29
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
By now, we all know you hate Microsoft and Sony and that you feel good when there happens something bad with them. But I think you're overdoing it. Some people DO like the X-box (or PS2) (yes, you heard it right), and to be honest, this aren't really good reasons why not to buy one. X-box is quite decent (allthough I wish it was never created in the first place).
There is one great big flucking reason not to get one:
YOU ARE HELPING THE BIGGEST,RICHEST COMPANY IN THE WORLD GET A FOOTHOLD IN ANOTHER MARKET PLACE.

Why am I the only person that sees how dangerious that is.
They shouldnt have been allowed to make a console.

My point was, the main reasons there are people that like the Xbox, is because of its GAMES.

And yes, there are good Xbox games.

People dont like the machine itself.

I dont like my Gamecube because its black with a glowing orange bit

....I like it because:

a) Great games
b) Im supporting a company that at least trys to be original
c) Nintendo is a company with far higher morals then its revils.

Its mainly about a)games for most people. (unfortunatly, most people dont care about monopolys or company ethics)

So my point about emultors is EXTREAMLY good reason not to buy one.

Play the games.
Dont buy the machine.
Simple.

Quote:
I wouldn't buy a X-Box and I dislike Microsoft very much, but I think the first step of anyone who wants to get rid of it should be not using what makes them exist, i.e., their proprietary operational system.
I semi-agree.
We should all be using non-microsoft OS's, and support open source OS's better.

However, at least microsoft created windows, it filled a gap in the market and it has had (over the years), quite a few usefull inovations that have formed what it is too have a "PC".

Not so, with the Xbox.
Microsoft did, effectively, bugger-all.
It simply used it money to buy componants from other companys and put a product together.
No inovations, no "earning" its place...

it simply used one monopoly to try to get another

Quote:
And as much as all of you love to bash microsoft, most of us here wouldn't be online without them.
Unlikely.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2003-08-15 at 20:36.
Old 2003-08-15, 20:53
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
*cough*netscape*cough*mozilla*cough*Opera*cough*
Old 2003-08-15, 22:04
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Atresica
*cough*netscape*cough*mozilla*cough*Opera*cough*
I think DD meant something beyond just Internet Explorer.. what about Windows 95, the first actually easy to use graphical OS for the cheap, diverse general standard of the x86 PC system. Without Windows, a lot less people would be using PCs as they do now.

I don't support the Xbox (I don't really support consoles anyway ). But I saw a (presumably modded) Xbox at CampZone with an exchanged OS, which was able to play all kind of media files from CDROM/DVD. With that, the Xbox is a great device for downloaded video playback on the TV. Since MS doesn't actually make profit from selling the Xbox itself, it might be a good buy if you need a media player like that. I've considered it for a while.
Old 2003-08-15, 22:42
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally posted by wacko
I think DD meant something beyond just Internet Explorer.. what about Windows 95, the first actually easy to use graphical OS for the cheap, diverse general standard of the x86 PC system. Without Windows, a lot less people would be using PCs as they do now.
That's exactly what I meant.
Old 2003-08-15, 22:44
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
No good reasons. If I ever buy a console from this generation it might very well be X-Box, and that is only because of X-Box Live.

If everyone follow your orders, Darkflame, then we will have a true monopoly, a Nintendo one... But I guess that you wouldnt mind..?

Do you think that we shall piss at watching Chelsea's games or something too, it would be the same thing.
Old 2003-08-16, 00:06
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
actually, if there is one reason I'm not buying the Xbox, it's X-box Live (too expensive in compair to the other consoles)
Old 2003-08-16, 00:59

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
"Microsoft is evil...blah blah blah...Bill Gates is an evil man...yada yada yada"

I like X-Box because of what it is, regardless of who made it. And many people say that its crap/bad and that there aren't any good games on it. But most of those people don't OWN the console. I have it and I can say that it is no worse than the PS2 (whose graphics are overall worse than DreamCast). I can say that some of the best games I have ever played are exclusivly on X-box.
Old 2003-08-16, 11:11
Classic

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightwing
"Microsoft is evil...blah blah blah...Bill Gates is an evil man...yada yada yada"

I like X-Box because of what it is, regardless of who made it. And many people say that its crap/bad and that there aren't any good games on it. But most of those people don't OWN the console. I have it and I can say that it is no worse than the PS2 (whose graphics are overall worse than DreamCast). I can say that some of the best games I have ever played are exclusivly on X-box.
And that, is a perfect demostraction of someone not reading what someone is saying.

My whole POINT is that the console is nothing in iteself...I dont hate a black and green bit of plastic, in the same way I dont love a black and orange bit of plastic.

Its the company I hate

I have stated their are great Xbox games, yes, and thats precisely why im so pleased with the emultors.
You will be able to play the great games without giving microsoft another monopoly.

Try to pay attention please.

(you are correct about the Dreamcast though)

Quote:
If everyone follow your orders, Darkflame, then we will have a true monopoly, a Nintendo one... But I guess that you wouldnt mind..?
Not at all.
I fucking hate it you cant fucking get it into your head them im only pro nintendo because I hate Sony and Microsoft.

Im just as big a fan of Sega too.
Some of the best games of all time where made when Nintendo & Sega were in compititon.

Why do I bother though?
You dont listen.
You look, but you dont understand.
You make stupid comments like this, without actualy looking at what i am saying.

You have a pre-conception of me that you just refuse to shake.
I must have explained this thousands of times now.

Compitition is a good thing because it encourages diversity, inovation, and better quality product to the consumer.
However, Sony and Microsoft both "side-steped" the need to make a better product because they had vaste sums already to put into advertising.

What did Microsoft invent?
What did Sony actualy invent?
What speculatular stuff did they do too earn them the vaste amounts of money they are getting? (well, sony)
How have Sony & Microsoft helped improve the quality of gaming?

Last edited by Darkflame; 2003-08-16 at 11:23.
Old 2003-08-16, 11:21
Classic

Quote:
Originally posted by wacko

I don't support the Xbox (I don't really support consoles anyway ). But I saw a (presumably modded) Xbox at CampZone with an exchanged OS, which was able to play all kind of media files from CDROM/DVD. With that, the Xbox is a great device for downloaded video playback on the TV. Since MS doesn't actually make profit from selling the Xbox itself, it might be a good buy if you need a media player like that. I've considered it for a while.
Surely a www.mini-itx.com would be easier?

Oh, and without windows, we would still be online...it just might have taken slightly longer.
(their were plenty of revil OS's being developed)
Old 2003-08-16, 13:08
Magic Ball Master

Listen, without Microsoft, the internet and the windows wouldn't exist. Hey! I didn't know that the Microsoft was the biggest and richest company!
Bill gates is the president of microsoft, so be thankfull he made the windows or we wouldn't know each other (Except in real life.....)
Old 2003-08-16, 13:23
Classic

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Cheater
Listen, without Microsoft, the internet and the windows wouldn't exist. Hey! I didn't know that the Microsoft was the biggest and richest company!
Bill gates is the president of microsoft, so be thankfull he made the windows or we wouldn't know each other (Except in real life.....)
This is sarcasm right?

Quote:
Having them in the market makes competition, which is good so each company tries to give the gamers better products.
I said :

Quote:
Compitition is a good thing because it encourages diversity, inovation, and better quality product to the consumer.
However, Sony and Microsoft both "side-steped" the need to make a better product because they had vaste sums already to put into advertising.
So their "type" of compition is bad.

They arnt making better products.
Yes, no dought the presure on Nintendo has made them make better products...sure...but *any* other company would have had the same result. (ie, Sega)
At the moment its one sided.

Nintendo try to make inovations and better products VS sony's advertising budget.

True comptition should be both sides trying to out-do the other quality wise.

--
As for the PSP, Sony havnt got a very good track record of making better products.
They will just hype the hell out of it till it sales anyway.

IMO, dispites is "power", it is a step backwards from the Gameboy.
It will have Loadtimes, and need memory sticks for save games.

If you want Compition for the GBA thats actualy *good*, try the GP32, or even the Neo-geo.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2003-08-16 at 14:33.
Old 2003-08-16, 14:30
Classic

Well, if it isnt advertising, name ONE feature that made the playstation so successfull?

Cds? no..done before.
Most powerfull? No...
Best Controll pad? No...

Name one single feature that made the Playstation actualy an improvement on previous consoles?

There wasnt ANY, it was all marketing, marketing, marketing....

===
oh, and too dam right I hate Sony.
The amount of shitty things they try to get away with is unbeliable. (*cough* trying to patant "shock & awe" *cough*)

They are a gready,nasty company.

And as for microsoft......gezz...do I really have to bother?

I really think its amazing how people see it as immature that I care about company ethics and the state of the monopoly-based companys.......IMO its more immature not to care.

I think thats the problem with this world...people only care about themselfs in the short term (ie. I want this game NOW, so im buying THIS console!!)
.....and dont see the "bigger picture".

Last edited by Darkflame; 2003-08-16 at 14:44.
Old 2003-08-16, 15:26
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkflame
Surely a www.mini-itx.com would be easier?
Yes, and much cooler with that. But also more expensive.
Old 2003-08-16, 16:01
Classic

True.
But much better value for money IMO.
--
I heard recently theres a reward of $100,000 for the first person to get a full version of Linux working on an Xbox
Old 2003-08-16, 16:13
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
But ffs, you dont mention the Nintendo of Europe cartelle!
You dont mention the companies Yamauchi ran over!
You dont mention the monopoly Game Boy has been having for 12 years!
You dont mention the Backlight question in GBA.
You dont mention the fact that they make people buy four old games in four different cartridges instead of at least put two of those in one! Thats fucking greedy!

I dont hate X-Box and Microsoft. I hate Sony and the Playstation though but thats a different story. Sony is evil, you are right. The Microsoft case is different, though.

In my opinion there are two big reasons for the gaming and internet world we have today (and this forum). And that is Nintendo and Microsoft. Ok.
Old 2003-08-16, 16:31
Gee, it's been a while.

I don't mind sony... it isn't microsoft... Probably why I have a Ps2.
Old 2003-08-16, 17:39
Classic

Quote:
Originally posted by Gustav Sweden
But ffs, you dont mention the Nintendo of Europe cartelle!
You dont mention the companies Yamauchi ran over!
You dont mention the monopoly Game Boy has been having for 12 years!
Yes, Nintendo arnt perfect, but they are considerably better then their reviles in terms of ethics. Everythings greyscale, but Nintendo are very much near the "white" end of that.
---
List them please...
---

But it got that monopoly BECAUSE THEY HAD THE BEST PRODUCT.

Gamegear, Linx, GP32, Neogeo,WonderSwan....

Theres been plenty of compition for the GB, but it survived because it was the best.
The others often wernt portable enough, or two heavy on battarys (Gamegear).

They earned their place

Nintendo DID NOT simply buy its position with the GBA though advertising.

Dont get me wrong, id love for another portable machine to revil the Gameboy...But I want one which is fudimentaly better.......better enough, in fact, that in can join the market place without being advertised like mad.

The whole point of compition is that you hold your position till someone makes a better product.

Quote:
You dont mention the Backlight question in GBA.
I already told you, lithem battarys where too expensive when the GBA came out, hence they couldnt have it backlit.

The GBASP came out over 2 years later, in which time the price had droped enough for Nintendo to include it (and thus make the backlight possible).

eg.
GBA 2xAA battary life = 13 hours
GBA 2xAA battary life when using Afterburner = <5 hours

GBASP life = 15-20 hours

I rest my case.
You cant blame Nintendo for not wanting an overly expensive GBA or a GBA with crap battary life can you?

Please dont spew this same stuff without looking at the ~reasons~ behind these things.

Quote:
You dont mention the fact that they make people buy four old games in four different cartridges instead of at least put two of those in one! Thats fucking greedy!
They didnt MAKE people buy them.

Besides, theres nothing ethicaly wrong with that at all.
They made them, they can charge what they like. Thats their RIGHT...the same goes for ANY company.

Of course, it reduces sales when they ask to much........The last Remake I bought from Nintendo was MarioDX (GBC), that was a fine example of a good port.
(lots of extra features, lost levels, music making, calander, bonus games, mutiplayer....)

I havnt bought any of the "Mario Advance" series, because I have Mario Allstars on my SNES.

Im sure many,many fans are just like me...Nintendo are losing sales and money because of their lazy ports.

Their kicking themselfs in the teeth.
But that still isnt actualy wrong.

Quote:
I dont hate X-Box and Microsoft. I hate Sony and the Playstation though but thats a different story. Sony is evil, you are right. The Microsoft case is different, though.
Ok, Microsoft isnt evil as such....but it is VERY dangerious. (and Microsoft is a controll-freak company )

The biggest richest company in the world should not be allowed to buy into another industary.

If we dont stop this now, Microsoft could easy move into many other buisness's.
I personaly like the fact we have a lot of choice in our market places, Megafirms spreading only reduces this wonderfull choice.

Quote:
In my opinion there are two big reasons for the gaming and internet world we have today (and this forum). And that is Nintendo and Microsoft. Ok.
Theres hundreds of reasons for both the internet and gamming today.
Nintendo have contributed to gaming a lot; So have Sega, Atari (the real one), Commadore, Amiga..ect ect ect.
Allthough without Nintendo platform games would be far worse, we wouldnt have analog sticks; Z "lock on" controll techiques,shoulder buttons...ect ect.

But I think youll find microsofts roll in the internet is very small indeed...they were a late comer to the party.
We wouldnt have Internet explorer, or Windows, true.

But we would certainly have some other sort of browser and OS.
Old 2003-08-16, 19:43

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
um...Internet existed looooong before Microsoft. Though I think that Bill Gates was responsible for expanding World Wide Web.....even then, if he didn't make it, someone else would. But saying that without Microsoft Internet would not exist is a fat BS.

Darkflame: My last post was general and not directed personaly at you. Though emulators are a good thing, some games are really best played with a joystick. Although, I suppose you can always buy one for PC as well.
Old 2003-08-16, 19:47
!!!!!

I've bumped into this site a few days ago...
Old 2003-08-16, 19:49
Classic

Quote:
Originally posted by DedalousDiggle
No, apparently we can't when you're around. But you don't seem to have any trouble making the same complaints about microsoft!
BUT IM NOT MAKING THE SAME COMPLAINTS ABOUT MICROSOFT!!!
Good grief, does anyone read what I actualy write?

And, rather then making a smart-alex remark,could you *try* to make a sensible counter point.

You dont think the price of lithem battarys has droped?
You dont think the battary life is reduced a lot with a baclight?

"No apperently we cant when your around" is meanless.

If your disgreeing about the reason behind the backlight taking so long PROVE YOUR POINT WITH EVIDENCE!

Quote:
[B
That's partly true, but some of those competitors had over-all better systems(I'll have examples shortly). Nintendo could not be moved from their place in the market. [/B]
But they wernt good enough.
The GP32 is IMO, the only system better then the GBA at present.
Compition between those two system would help the portable market a lot.
Nintendo hardly advertise the GBA, and simerlar, the GP32 is hardly advertised either.

Yet both have been successfull because of their design merits, hopefully the GP32 will be more sucessfull in a few more months.

You still are missing the fundimental difference though:
The Gameboy was ~better~ then the compition.
The Playstation ~wasnt~.

You can argue as much as you want about systems being better then the GBA or not, sure, some might be.
But Nintendo earned to be number 1 in that market...if a better product is made, sure, it should sale better.

BUT NOT BECAUSE SOME SHITTY COMPANY IS GOING TO SLAP THEIR BRAND NAME ON IT AND SPEND BILLIONS ON MARKETING.

It should sale better because it IS better.

Quote:

Yeah, and Bill Gates has goons holding people at gunpoint to sell microsoft products. Windows is successful because it is a quality (This is not to say other OSs aren't better) product that is readily available to people.

Thats *exactly* the same as the position with the GBA...its a quality product, even though there are better ones avaible.

You claim you read what I say, but am I complaining about Windows? NO!

In fact, said earlier that Microsoft earned its position in the OS market:

Quote:
However, at least microsoft created windows, it filled a gap in the market and it has had (over the years), quite a few usefull inovations that have formed what it is too have a "PC".

And you claim to read what I am saying?

It did not earn its position in the console market though...thats my point.
I dont have major problems with Microsofts monopoly on the OS market, I do have problems when they use that monopoly to try to get another!

Quote:

Now please, don't make some comment about me not reading what you say, I read every word of your posts.

No..its clear from your post that you look but you dont read.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2003-08-16 at 20:05.
Old 2003-08-16, 20:24
Classic

-sigh-
I agree with most of that but thats not the point.

My point is, that Microsoft and Sony are damaging the games industary. Microsoft is the biggest danger at the moment. (and not just to the games industary)

Because of this, people shouldnt buy Xboxs.

Unfortunatly, the reason is beyond most peoples compreshension.

No-body cares about the dangers or Microsoft getting another monopoly, no one cares about some of the unethical things sony has done....no they just care about the games.

"Screw the rest of the world, and the future! I want to play hALO!!!" ect ect.

So THEREFOR, I am trying to show you dont need an Xbox to play the Xboxs games (at least soon)
To hopefully prevent some people from buying one.

Do you understand yet?

Last edited by Darkflame; 2003-08-16 at 20:31.