Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2004-03-06, 18:25
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Prince of Persia: Sands of time

I just completed this game, and was so impressed I thought i had to write a review.
(note: The version reviewed is the Gamecube one)

Gameplay:

The gameplay is really unique.
Techiqualy its a platform game, the charecter has the moves of mario, link and neo all rolled into one.
You can do huge leaps, run up walls, back flips, grab beams, swing, balance and all mannor of cool moves.

You dont earn moves,like other games,you mearly learn how and when to use them. The games main puzzles are actualy mearly figureing out how to get from A to B.

"Ok, so i run along the wall, then jump onto that beam...."
"So i drop down, hang and move along till i reach that, then leap...."
ect ect.

Your charecter has a health bar, but falling down to the floor will kill you, the game is quite realistic when it comes to that.
And fall you will, many, many times.
Luckly, thats not the end.
This is where the main gameplay feature comes into play: The Dagger of time.

You can rewind upto 10 seconds of time, whenever you like.
Anything you are doing, simply hit a button and time starts flowing backwards. Its impressive just how far back you can go like this, just how much the game remembers.
Reverseing time is so much fun, you will be dieing on purpose just to use it
Sometimes you will use it without dieing, mearly if you want to undo something you did.

Of course, its limited. You can only rewind time for as long as you have "sand" left in the dagger. You start with 3 containers, 3 chances.
Each rewind use's up a container of sand, and as the game progressives you get more containers.
To fill up containers you need to kill sand creatures.
This is the other main bulk of the game;fighting.
Which is one of the most fun things ever.

Leaping over creatures, rolling under them and leaping off walls...fighting is just both cinematic and interative.
And it just gets better when you stab a creature with the daggar of time.
The creatures suddenly slows down to a crawl,extream slow-motion.
Uou can kick it up into the air and watch it slowly arc above you as you continue to fight the other creatures.
When ready you can run upto it and slice it in two.

When a creature is down you collect its sand using a buffy-like move turning it into dust.
This sand, as mentioned earlier is then used for rewinds.

In between the fighting and platforming there are more traditional Zelda-type puzzles too. Pushing blocks about reflecting light of mirrors ect. But these are well spaced between the games more original elements.

Sound:

Almost all the voice acting is excelent, adding much to the atmosphere and providing the main driving force behind the story.
The music too is high quality and always suits the mood.
Some people have said there are problems with the volume level of the sounds, but i never came accross this problem when playing.

Graphics:

Some of the most stunning graphics i have seen.
Imaginative designed rooms, wonderious backdrops and superb textureing.
Best of all though, is the "glow/myst" effect that is in almost every room, the volumetrix light that poors from every window....it gives the gave such a unique look and feel.

The special effects in the game are great too, mainly the "reverse time" effect. The screen destorts and glows providing an earie look.
Water too, is pretty good, showing both reflection and refraction as well as rippleing correctly when your charecter walks though it.

oh, got some neat charecter model changing thoughtout the game, and some great cloath physics.

Story:

In my view, this is the strongest point of the whole game.
Not only is the story excelent, it is told excelently too.
You dont watch hours of cutscenes, the story is mainly told though the gameplay. The very save-system itself, is used to help tell the story.

The story is strong enough to keep you playing though the weaker patchs of the game, and builds up to an incredible cool ending. It all fits together so neatly, you cant help but come away statisfied.

The dialogue and script to the game is very well written, when combined with the great voice acting, the humour and the sarcasm of the charecters really comes though.

Lifespan:

Probably the games only problem.
Its short. Very short.
However, its got a good excuse, and thats because its non-repedative.
You never replay a level like in other games, you hardly ever repeat what you have done.
I can piture myself playing though this game many times before i get tired of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A typical playground of possibilities.jpg‎
Views:	214
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	3273   Click image for larger version

Name:	this room is fun too.jpg‎
Views:	209
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	3274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheres Prince_canyouseehim.jpg‎
Views:	209
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	3275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheeee.jpg‎
Views:	196
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	3276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slashemandsee.jpg‎
Views:	250
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	3277  

Last edited by Darkflame; 2004-03-06 at 18:48.
Old 2004-03-06, 20:33

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Yeh, it looks bad-ASS alright.
Old 2004-03-06, 20:37
!!!!!

Darkflame, did you play Prince of Persia 2 (the classic masterpiece)? If so which do you prefer, PoP2 or sands of time?
Old 2004-03-06, 21:01
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
You certainly should.

Its out on PC, XBox, Gamecube and PS2 so there is NO excuse not to get it
Especialy as most places sale it cheap too. (due to the fact its not saleing too good )

The PC version comes with a free controll pad in Game.
(it needs it, keyboard would suck)
----
Choas ~ No, this is my first POP game I have played.

However, It would be have to be a masterpiece indeed for me to recomend it over this.
Old 2004-03-06, 21:51
!!!!!

I don't like BG&E, it's way too massive IMO.
Old 2004-03-06, 22:08
Classic

I'll review BG&E when i get it and complete it, this is a POP thread
Old 2004-03-06, 22:33
The Player of Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
The PC version comes with a free controll pad in Game.
(it needs it, keyboard would suck)
I played the demo for the PC which came free with a mag I bought. What I saw looked great but the controls were pretty crap which put me off buying it.

I can vaguely recall playing the original prince of persia but I was so young I can barely remember it.
I cried until I could cry no more.
Old 2004-03-06, 23:01
Classic

Well i cant imagine not using an analogue stick to play it.
Old 2004-03-06, 23:52
Still in a dream...

Borrowing it off a mate for PS2.. its great, I love it. I'm not very far, but its very appealing indeed. I shall write more as I play more.
Old 2004-03-06, 23:53
strange dreamer

the graphics loks great but seems to be hard to play/control the charaether even with a stick(which seems even more harder) because of my experience with airplane simulators...

I like and played POP1 and POP2 but theyre both demo... theyre so good even being platform. someone knows a complete version to download? is it freeware by now?
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2004-03-07, 03:19
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to johnnybrubacker
i played it on my mobile phone and it was shit
Old 2004-03-07, 05:36
Classic

The mobile phone version is not the game, its a shit cash in made by some company and liesences to exploit people who just have to download mobile phone games.
Most mobile phone liesenced games are this way, and the companys behind them can be quite dodgy.
(as in, they often steal code and assets from early microcomputers games without the authors consent)
==
SGk~ Have you played it?

Whats so hard to controll, i found it simple
Old 2004-03-07, 08:57
strange dreamer

No i havent actually played it, it just seems like.

So anyone knows where can i get a download of prince of persia 1 or 2(full game not a demo)?
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2004-03-07, 09:57
Still in a dream...

Lol, you judge a game by its mobile version? XD Great logic there.
Old 2004-03-07, 12:29
Classic

No, but PoP1 comes free with the new Gamecube version, and PoP2 comes free with the Xbox version.
I think the ps2 and pc versions also have the first game.
Old 2004-03-07, 21:32
Magic Ball Master

Hmm many good things I have heard about this game, I'll have to get myself a copy ASAP.
Old 2004-03-07, 23:22
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to johnnybrubacker
Ferry i was just talking bout the mobile version!!

i was just judging the mobile phone version (what it looks like on my series 40 nokia 7250i) series 60 not the original version of the game. The mobile version is made by gameloft, quite a reputed company in mobile gaming, although its 2d it retains many features of the original such as the rewinding, running on walls, collecting sands from enemies,the puzzles etc. the original prince of persia port series 60 for mobiles is quite good and retains the authentic feel of the original so i'd recommend that . i guess i'll have to try the sands of time on some other console than my mobile
Old 2004-03-13, 22:15
!!!!!

Darklfame- I just read your review
I'm definitely getting this game!
Old 2004-03-13, 23:04
Classic

You barely at the start then

What room is it?
Have you tried hanging over an edge and crawling long while hanging?
That sometimes helps.
(at least theres a room past the hourglass bit that i needed to do that on)
Old 2004-06-10, 07:25

I played the game, and I have to say that out of the two latest Ubisoft productions(BGE and PoP) Sands of Time has actually a better told story. Quite surprising, since it is quite rare for an Action game to have better plot than a Quest game. How so? Mainly because SoT's story was rather original and not at all cliche. Especially the very anti-climatic ending (with which I have a few bones to pick with). But other than that, I found SoT to be very suspenceful and even have some really nice plot-twists. I especially loved the dream part for its surrealistic feel. I thought that the characters were developed very well, especially the sidekick Farah, although she suddenly becomes quite dumbfounded at the end of the game. I heard that she isn't included in the sequal to Sands of Time, which I think is a pity. The one weak character was the evil magician dude, who doesn't appear for much of the game and when he does he just acts as the cliche, evil sorcerer from Aladin. The Prince's character, of course, was the best. His narration is short of brilliance and his character development is also displayed well.
Old 2004-06-10, 16:00
Classic

Theres a trailer for the sequal over at IGN.
I dont like the way Farah isnt in it either, allthough its set a few years later she might show up mid-game i suppose.

It looks slightly more fighting based then before, but the story looks just as interesting

Quote:
The one weak character was the evil magician dude, who doesn't appear for much of the game and when he does he just acts as the cliche, evil sorcerer from Aladin.
Yes,i spotted that too...he looks identical as well.
Old 2004-06-10, 19:39

A lot of people complained about the "repetitive" fighting sequences in SoT and how they got annoying after a time. I agree that they got a little repetitive, but I wouldn't say they ever annoyed me. I always seemed to find different ways to tackle my enemies and because some would be immune to a certain type of attack you always had to apply strategy during battles. Sure, SoT only has a total of 7 or so unique moves, but in games like Ninja Gaiden, who actually utilizes all of the 100 moves with key combinations that just about break your fingers? No, I would have to say that considering all action games, SoT has a perfect combat system. Its perfect and absolutly fun. The good old flip-over-the-head-and-back-slash never got boring. Its like watching a movie and I never grew tired of it. The only real problem is that SoT never really had any single hard enemies. The only dificulty lied in enemies massing against you and protecting Farah from being killed. But I can't say that there were any singles that were hard to defeat. The end game boss, for example, was a complete joke. And although I hate super hard bosses, I had trained myself by the end of the game that I expected to dodge lightning bolts and stuff
Old 2004-06-18, 01:55
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
I found it today, used, for 99 SEK (€11?) and bought it because of what I heard from Darkflame here. Installing it now.
Old 2004-06-18, 02:40
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
It seems cool! I played it a bit, but I feel tired so I quit at the first save point. Will continue tomorrow Nice movements and all, and lol at the camera angles in battle
Old 2004-06-18, 11:43
Still in a dream...

Bought it for a tenner off play.com. You can't go wrong for a tenner.