Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26  
Old 2004-06-23, 23:37
Darkflame's Avatar
Darkflame Darkflame is offline
Classic
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sol, Earth, NL
Posts: 22,496
Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
According to our current knowledge there is large deposites of water ice at the polls of the moon.

It would be extreamly benifitial to set up a small base there to start drilling and testing it. Not nesscerly maned, but it would require maned missions to set it up.

At the same time, you could also set about clusters of small automatic robots to start makeing solar planels from the moons surface.
Very possible, the chemicals on the surface can be turned into solar cells by relatively easily automatical process's. (think almost of small steam rollars)

Once you have water and power "on tap" regular vistes to the moon would be far easier to achieve.

Then we could start doing more major work there.
A bloodly huge telescope would be nice, possible exporting rare materials back to earth.
But above all...mearly exploreing properly would be good.
We still know very little about the moon.
We dont know whats under the surface at all really.
No resources? bah!
We havnt looked more then a few meters deep.

Certainly a return to the moon before mars would be benifitial.
However, i am worried a bit that going to mars seems to be a "Whee!! Lets be the first to get their" type thing.
As far as im concerned, theres no point going there unless we make it easier to go there again at the same time.

Way-points between here and mars would be a good step too.
__________________
http://fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
-
Phones & Tricorders & Blobs & Bombs & 3D Printers & TVIntros also;stuff

Last edited by Darkflame; 2004-06-23 at 23:44.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 2004-06-24, 05:16
Reek's Avatar
Reek Reek is offline
Party animal
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: israel
Posts: 8,801
Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Oh, and another answer to why NASA ain't going to the moon.

The cold war is over.
This is a very sad and pathetic fact, but if it wasn't for the drive to "beat the ruskis", america would have landed on the moon much later than she did.

Now that they own the space-exploration industry, they're a little more mellowed out.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 2004-06-24, 06:05
Lightwing Lightwing is offline
.
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 6,718
Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
NASA doesn't own all of the space exploration industry. The Russians have their own and they are working on new spaceships while NASA has halted any send-off activities.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 2004-06-24, 12:13
Panda's Avatar
Panda Panda is offline
Still in a dream...
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,723
Only because of the cold war did NASA go to the moon? Bollocks. It would have happened sooner or later (perhaps 5/6 years later), but saying it only happened because of the cold war is ridiculous.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 2004-06-24, 13:21
the_angry_monkey's Avatar
the_angry_monkey the_angry_monkey is offline
formerly just angry
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Bradford, UK
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin
Oh, and another answer to why NASA ain't going to the moon.

The cold war is over.
This is a very sad and pathetic fact, but if it wasn't for the drive to "beat the ruskis", america would have landed on the moon much later than she did.

Now that they own the space-exploration industry, they're a little more mellowed out.

Indeed. Sorry Pandy but the whole NASA program was a huge nationalistic drive to instil a bit of patriotism. I mean Russia had been the first to put a man in space, they couldn't let the Russians get to the moon first too.

I always loved that story about NASA spending $2m on developing a pen to write in space, whilst the Russians just used pencils. Not too sure how true it is though

Now all we have to do is persuade Osama Bin Laden to build a Mars rocket and the USA will be there in no time
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 2004-06-24, 14:07
Darkflame's Avatar
Darkflame Darkflame is offline
Classic
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sol, Earth, NL
Posts: 22,496
Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
It is true...at least, russians DID use pencils,you see it in the footage.
Likewise the Americans did develop pressurised pens, you can buy them in the inovations catalogue.
Dunno if it was $2 million though.
---
Going to the moon would certainly have happened dispite the cold war.
But it would have been wayyyy later.
__________________
http://fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
-
Phones & Tricorders & Blobs & Bombs & 3D Printers & TVIntros also;stuff
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 2004-06-24, 14:42
Panda's Avatar
Panda Panda is offline
Still in a dream...
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
Going to the moon would certainly have happened dispite the cold war.
But it would have been wayyyy later.
I don't think so. It may have been patriotism, but NASA existed before the Cold War. There would have been a moon landing in like, 1975/6/7 imo had the cold war not actually happened. Its not that difficult to believe, really...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 2004-06-24, 16:05
Reek's Avatar
Reek Reek is offline
Party animal
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: israel
Posts: 8,801
Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Pandy: Maybe i'm over reacting, but I find it extremely annoying that you say my post is "bollocks", and the write exactly what i said all over again.

Please think before you post next time.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 2004-06-24, 17:00
Bushmeister's Avatar
Bushmeister Bushmeister is offline
Magic Ball Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,922
According to this NASA was formed in 1958. By then you had already had Truman's anti-Soviet antics, his own doctrine, the Marshall Plan, Korean War and the formation of Eastern European satellite states. So the Cold War was pretty much in good swing if you take it to have started in the years between 1945-1950 (and even more so if you take it to have started earlier as I have read, although I would disagree with that).

The moon landing would have happened later if not for this superpower rivalry. How much later, I do not know.
__________________
'But when push comes to shove, you gotta do what you love. Even if it's not a good idea.'
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 2004-06-24, 17:01
prone2accidents prone2accidents is offline
The Player of Games
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Roysten Vasey
Posts: 1,165
I think the main reason there's not been much investment in space activities is that there's simply nothing to be gained in the short term. It's unprofitable to do much in space at this time, other than communications satellites or whatever, and that's why not very much being done.
__________________
As her body lay askew and lifeless on the floor I did not weep
As freinds and relatives spoke so fondly of her I did not shed a tear
But as I saw her body lowered beaneth the ground I realised that it was over and she was gone.
I cried until I could cry no more.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 2004-06-24, 20:37
Panda's Avatar
Panda Panda is offline
Still in a dream...
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin
Pandy: Maybe i'm over reacting, but I find it extremely annoying that you say my post is "bollocks", and the write exactly what i said all over again.

Please think before you post next time.
Read my post properly. I didn't write your post was bollocks, I made a rhetorical question and then said bollocks in regards to that. Nor did I werite exactly what you said. You said that it would have happened "much much later", I said a few years later. Theres a difference.

Please think before you post next time.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 2004-06-24, 20:43
Reek's Avatar
Reek Reek is offline
Party animal
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: israel
Posts: 8,801
Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Tch,
Quote:
Only because of the cold war did NASA go to the moon? Bollocks. It would have happened sooner or later (perhaps 5/6 years later), but saying it only happened because of the cold war is ridiculous.
You said that in response to my post, didn't you?
I don't see any other post you could have responded to, saying those things.

Anyway, it doesn't matter that much.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 2004-06-24, 20:54
Panda's Avatar
Panda Panda is offline
Still in a dream...
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,723
You didn't read the post I just posted did you?

But, yeah, okay, whatever.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 2004-06-25, 01:51
Gustav Sweden's Avatar
Gustav Sweden Gustav Sweden is offline
Hello
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Oresund Region
Posts: 7,722
Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball2k
Where is the edge of space?
13,6 billion lightyears from the middle.
__________________
People like Coldplay, but they don't love them. People like U2, but they don't love them. But people fucking love Oasis. That's the way it is. It's more than the music.
-Noel Gallagher
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 2004-06-25, 10:39
the_angry_monkey's Avatar
the_angry_monkey the_angry_monkey is offline
formerly just angry
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Bradford, UK
Posts: 2,440
What happened to that cool flying saucer design that was a VTOL ship. Some students designed it or something but the stability was a bit poor. Looked great to me though
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Congratulations Gustav Sweden Member Announcements 13 2006-08-18 05:09
Congratulations alexfont Gustav Sweden Member Announcements 18 2005-11-12 06:02
Congratulations Crazybee! Gustav Sweden Member Announcements 12 2003-12-27 19:28
CONGRATULATIONS besiktas Gustav Sweden Member Announcements 6 2003-02-25 04:09
Congratulations Crazybee Gustav Sweden Member Announcements 18 2003-01-03 21:04


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:37.


News Feed
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, the Magicball Network