Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2004-09-15, 14:55
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Sony buys MGM

Sony have just secured a deal to completely buy MGM for about 5 billion dollars.
(most probably to be merged into Sony Pictures).

This will give them exclusive rights to the James Bond liesence, amongst numberious other things.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=6239539

~sigh~
Another step towards their world domination plans.
Give it 20 years and Sony and Microsoft will have a big war.
After that, their will be just 1 media company.
Then, purhapes there will be a big war between the one media company and the one oil company left by that time.
Give it a century and there will be just one company left on the face of the earth

Maybe im being pessimisitic, but i dont see whats going to stop this process.
Old 2004-09-15, 16:47
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Crap, I like japanese stuff but i wouldn't want everything to be influenced by sony.
Especially not James Bond

Maybe it'll end up with one company ruling the planet, like in ff7.
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2004-09-15, 17:56
LBA fan

Cool... Sony isn't afraid of spending money I can see.
Old 2004-09-15, 18:22
Still in a dream...

I don't see the big deal. Its only a company...
Old 2004-09-15, 18:23
Woof!

Well I think it's a pretty big leap from movie-making and media to world domination
Old 2004-09-15, 18:31
Still in a dream...

OMFG TEH SONY WILL BE TEH SHINRA ELECTRIC COMPANY AND TAKE OVER TEH WORLD1!!!!!1111one!!1111
Old 2004-09-15, 19:53
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
Fireball2k/Pandemona:You have to see the dangers with just one media company!

I think that Darkflame's doom prediction seems to be very exaggerated, though. Sony isn't, as far as I know, anywhere near being able to take over the world in the coming years... But perhaps you would like to tell me more why I should think that there is a risk of them doing so, Darkflame?
Old 2004-09-15, 20:00
Magic Ball Master

Let's put this in perspective so it isn't a Sony-bashing fest. Ted Turner, the media mogul who's liberal agenda is blatantly obvious as he controls much of the television stations today (CNN, etc.). So it's trading one powerful controller for another.

That being said, Sony is actually planning on shutting down MGM's film studios. The only liscense they will still be actively using would be the James Bond series. According to Sony, they are focusing on the much more profitable (and probably more stable) system of MGM home video collections, which has garnered MGM quite a bit of money, especially with their recent release of the entire James Bond library on DVD.

So now that we can stop the whole Sony world domination kick, I'm going to go hug my PS2, my Sony DVD player, and anything else in my house that is Sony. It works. It works great. And I have no technical problems with my Sony products.

See the smile on my face?

Somehow I suspect that if, say, Nintendo, bought MGM, there wouldn't have been quite so many ruffled feathers.
Old 2004-09-15, 20:03
Gee, it's been a while.

Not bad... Interesting, not sure I want a japanese James Bond, but chances are Sony won't actually change anything, and the creators will continue working as they always have...

As for the big company... Life doesn't work that way IMO.
Old 2004-09-15, 20:08
Hello

In my opinion, it is never positive when a bigger company buys a smaller one and makes it more "streamlined".

Media moguls sucks, really.
Old 2004-09-15, 21:27
Still in a dream...

I see the danger. But it won't happen. There will never be only 1 media company. It is paranoia to think it will happen. Besides, Sony is 5 billion dollars out of pocket now anyway after paying off MGM's depts. Not much money, I guess, but I think Sony won't be doing much right now. At least, not in the near future...
Old 2004-09-15, 23:39
Hello

You are 100% right both of you (OK, it could happen that only 1 media company exists, but it's not very likely, perhaps in a few hundred years or something).
Old 2004-09-16, 00:04
Magic Ball Master

Hmmm. Interesting stuff.

I can see Darkflames point though. Sony is branching out and diversifying into other markets. While, the markets it operates in are mainly full of oligoplies, it might only before a matter of time, before the business diversifies into a market full of smaller business, which will almost certainly put them (small business) at risk.

The good news is that to stop this, there are laws in place which can stop businesses from taking too big a control in a certain market, and can also be stopped from acting against public interest. Te bad news is that these laws don't tend to be enforced very well at all. Microsoft has constantly managed to evade them for years, using one loophole or another.

So yeah. Interesting.
Old 2004-09-16, 00:36
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
... But perhaps you would like to tell me more why I should think that there is a risk of them doing so, Darkflame?
Its the other way round, you tell me whats going to stop this?

Companys are merging or being taken over left right and center.
Megacompanys are becomeing bigger and bigger with more and more branchs.

Company makes money, buys out smaller company..makes more money.(or if not, destroys them to prevent compition)

I see nothing to reverse this trend.

It might not be sony,sure, but unless world govements start to see the danger we WILL be left with 1 single company...whatever that company will be.
Old 2004-09-16, 00:50
Classic

Quote:
Yeah, I know, but I think it's Sony's right to spend its money however it wants to.
It may be legal, but that dosnt make it "right".

If I make 2 billion a year saleing shoes in a town, and decide to spend all the money to buy out all the bakers in the same town is that "right" ?
Before you answere "yes" think of this:
I know nothing about makeing bread. The people i am buying out will be more skilled in their field. I have no skill whatsoever.
I'm not beating them because I am better then them, im beating them purely because i have money from elsewhere.
The town is left with a shoe-maker who now makes money from bread makeing as well (dispite the fact his product is inferiour).
He has more money now...he decides to buy the buchers too....and next year, the candel-stick makers.
He has no skills in these fields, he just has money.
The public get less choice and inferiour products.

Is it right? No.

My story there is simplified, and ineligent, but i hope you see the point.

Companys should not be allowed to use profits gained in one buisness to take over another market place.
Its ok if they are moveing to a new type of buisness, but not if they are spreading.
As i see no limits to the spread.
Old 2004-09-16, 01:50
LBA fan

Quote:
I know nothing about makeing bread. The people i am buying out will be more skilled in their field. I have no skill whatsoever.
I'm not beating them because I am better then them, im beating them purely because i have money from elsewhere.
The town is left with a shoe-maker who now makes money from bread makeing as well (dispite the fact his product is inferiour).
That's not really what Sony is doing. Sony won't fire everyone and replace them with retarded people. They'll either shutdown the company activities, or just let it go (perhaps making a few changes) and make profit from it - that doesn't mean the product will be inferior, because most of the original staff will likely be kept.

Quote:
He has more money now...he decides to buy the buchers too....and next year, the candel-stick makers.
He has no skills in these fields, he just has money.
The public get less choice and inferiour products.
See above.

Quote:
Is it right? No.
Depends... if you have no morals, then yes.
Old 2004-09-16, 03:43

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
No way. Capitalist governments will put a stop to it once they realise the dangers. Monopoly is a big no-no in a government where economy is based on competition.
Old 2004-09-16, 11:34
Classic

Quote:
That's not really what Sony is doing. Sony won't fire everyone and replace them with retarded people. They'll either shutdown the company activities, or just let it go (perhaps making a few changes) and make profit from it - that doesn't mean the product will be inferior, because most of the original staff will likely be kept.
I said it was simplified, i would have hoped you would extrapolate out from the genral argument to the specific.

Having non-skilled people in charge is wrong.
Regardless of the general work force.
Sony already have a general picture company, so MGM is almost certainly going to be shut down, with sony keeping the liesences.
Thats the same as replaceing it with unskilled people, imo.
(not that MGM is a spectacular film company these days or anything, but id still rather have the company exist rather then just be converted to a bunch of copyrights in sonys palm)

Companys should get to the top because they product better, or cheaper, products then their compediters. (or they provide a better service)
Sony has not done that.
Look at the Playstation.
Was the least techical advanced machine with no invoation whatsoever. It got to the top because of marketing.
This techique works. Sony is very good at it.

They will apply this techique to every other buisness they get their hands on.
(and they sure as hell arnt the only company doing this.
This isnt a Sony bashing thread, allthough Sony is one of the primary examples of "megacompanys" forming)

Money earned in one industary can allow you to buy your way to the top of another.
This is happening everywhere.

If Sony didnt get MGM then AOL/Time/Warner would have.
You all think this "one company" idea is stupid...but no one has preposed how its going to be prevented.

Quote:
Capitalist governments will put a stop to it once they realise the dangers. Monopoly is a big no-no in a government where economy is based on competition.
I would like to think so, and they probably will.
But too late me thinks.

Sony and Microsoft are pushing very strongly towards convergance..they want one device that we all use for everything and naturely they want it to be theres.

Once we get to that stage "escapeing" from these companys would be very hard.

We need modulisation, not convergance.
But at the moment it looks like converagance might win

Govements really should step in NOW, not leave it another 50 years.

Quote:
Somehow I suspect that if, say, Nintendo, bought MGM, there wouldn't have been quite so many ruffled feathers.
Nintendo dont have any stakes in other industarys except games.
Music? No
Film? No
Tvs? No
MobilePhones? No.
ect. ect.

So please, keep the stupid statements to yourself.
Nintendo has stuck to its single industary, it hasnt "spread" and shows no signs of it.
(and its not because they cant afford it, 6 billion gives them enough to afford a lot if they wanted)
Old 2004-09-16, 13:03
Party animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBall2K
Oh, not you too, Anakin...
What?
Don't you think that it would suck if all our entertainment came from one media company?

I don't see sony's buying MGM as something bad or immoral,
but i also don't see anything good about it either.
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2004-09-16, 15:46
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame

Music? No
Film? No
Tvs? No
MobilePhones? No.
ect. ect.

Nintendo has stuck to its single industary, it hasnt "spread" and shows no signs of it.
(and its not because they cant afford it, 6 billion gives them enough to afford a lot if they wanted)
The point wasn't about Nintendo. The "stupid" statement was referring more towards your personal vendetta against Sony, which seems to come about in every thread like this. Sony and Microsoft are evil, blah blah. I agree with what Medur said above.

Keep your anti-Sony vendetta to yourself then. I don't mind comments, but it's getting more and more obvious that you are a Nintendo fanboy absolut, even if Nintendo isn't mentioned.
Old 2004-09-16, 17:46
Classic

Maybe you should re-read what i said.
Because you clearly saw the word sony and assumed you knew what i was saying.

Sony is just one of many companys i am attacking.
Sony and Microsoft are amongst the biggest and most dangerious companys in the world.
But that dosnt exclude others like TimeWarner, ect.

You have provided no counter-arugment against what i said.
Maybe i have a vendeta against these companys FOR A REASON.

So rather then takeing the pathetic narrow view and insulting my inteligence, you might like to start opening your eyes to the world and realise that people dont mearly hate sony because they like mario, they hate sony because of legimate world corcerns.

And if you cant accept that you can piss the fuck off.

If you can accept it, then give a reason for your views rather then chucking insults about.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2004-09-16 at 17:54.
Old 2004-09-16, 18:11
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
If I make 2 billion a year saleing shoes in a town, and decide to spend all the money to buy out all the bakers in the same town is that "right" ?
Before you answere "yes" think of this:
Rub-a-dub-dub.
Three men in a tub.

Last edited by DedalousDiggle; 2004-09-16 at 18:51.
Old 2004-09-16, 18:13
Still in a dream...

If I had money, I would spend it.
Old 2004-09-16, 18:23
Party animal

Yeah, i would buy her:

Old 2004-09-16, 18:43
LBA fan

Quote:
I said it was simplified, i would have hoped you would extrapolate out from the genral argument to the specific.
I wouldn't.

Quote:
Having non-skilled people in charge is wrong.
Regardless of the general work force.
Dude, they wouldn't have non-skilled people in charge. As I said, they most likely only make a few modifications. And judging by this company (MGM), I would say they're pretty damn lucky Sony bought them. MGM lives off from older glories. Sony Pictures has quite high quality products, like the Spiderman movies, which although I didn't personally like, many people did.

Quote:
Sony already have a general picture company, so MGM is almost certainly going to be shut down, with sony keeping the liesences.
Thats the same as replaceing it with unskilled people, imo.
IMO that's the same as shutting down the company and keeping the licenses.

Quote:
(not that MGM is a spectacular film company these days or anything, but id still rather have the company exist rather then just be converted to a bunch of copyrights in sonys palm)
Well, you'd rather have that - the company itself wouldn't. I couldn't care less.

Quote:
Companys should get to the top because they product better, or cheaper, products then their compediters. (or they provide a better service)
Sony has not done that.
Look at the Playstation.
Was the least techical advanced machine with no invoation whatsoever. It got to the top because of marketing.

This techique works. Sony is very good at it.
That's all your personal opinion.
In my opinion Sony has good-quality products. I can't complain about the Sony products I have - they were all worth the money. My Playstation was cheaper than the rival product (N64), and I definitely don't regret buying it (I like one N64 game, but 30+ PS games. Also, PS games are much cheaper than N64 games).
I didn't buy the Playstation because of marketing (Sony marketing is, by the way, nonexistent here, unlike Nintendo marketing). I bought it because it's a great console. For me, it got to the top because it was the superior product. I honestly believe it's much better than the N64.

Quote:
They will apply this techique to every other buisness they get their hands on.
(and they sure as hell arnt the only company doing this.
This isnt a Sony bashing thread, allthough Sony is one of the primary examples of "megacompanys" forming)
They have the right to apply this technique, if they're allowed to.

Quote:
Money earned in one industary can allow you to buy your way to the top of another.
This is happening everywhere.
Yes, so?

Quote:
If Sony didnt get MGM then AOL/Time/Warner would have.
You all think this "one company" idea is stupid...but no one has preposed how its going to be prevented.
In my opinion it probably won't happen, so I won't try to prevent it.

Quote:
Sony and Microsoft are pushing very strongly towards convergance..they want one device that we all use for everything and naturely they want it to be theres.

Once we get to that stage "escapeing" from these companys would be very hard.

We need modulisation, not convergance.
But at the moment it looks like converagance might win
They want to fill their asses with cash. If making "convergence" products is going to cause that, then they damn will create "convergence" products. Whether this is good or not is another discussion which I'll not participate in. I buy whatever is good for me. If a "convergence" product happens to fit in that rule, then I'll surely buy it.

Quote:
Govements really should step in NOW, not leave it another 50 years.
They'll step in when those companies are no longer making benefits for them.

Quote:
Music? No
Film? No
Tvs? No
MobilePhones? No.
ect. ect.

So fucking what? It's their damn problem. Every company has the right to expand, whether you find that morally correct or not.

If I don't like a company, it's because I think the company has shitty products, not because I find their market moves immoral. Economics has no morals, the sole purpose is to make money. I don't dislike Microsoft because Microsoft has a monopoly, I dislike Microsoft because I think MS Windows is a sorry excuse for an OS, because MSIE is the worst browser ever and because I think their programmers are mostly fucking clueless.