Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2004-10-17, 04:33
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
To all those in America....

Farscape: PeaceKeeper Wars, Sci-Fi, Today, 9/8C
Watch it, you wont regret it

Professional Trailer:
http://www.apple.com/trailers

Or the better Fan Made Trailer:
http://www.watchfarscape.com/tv/farscape-boymeetsgirl-web.mov
(which is actualy showing on tv....thats how good this show is, the fans pay for tv adverts!)
Old 2004-10-17, 06:58

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
You bet you're arse I'll watch it.

Do you know if they're gonna show ALL 4 hours of the series?
Old 2004-10-17, 14:28
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Nope, still dont
I'll look around for you.
Old 2004-10-17, 21:19

No one else has replied. This is pathetic.

Why are people mostly attracted by such lame shows as Matlock and Herculeas instead of something good?

YOU PEOPLE SUCK!
Old 2004-10-17, 21:25
Magic Ball Master

This is what I hate about Farscape fans. Fair enough your favourite show got cancelled, but then so have hundreds of others with fans just as committed as you. Hey when Futurama was cancelled I was pissed, but I sure as hell wasn't as preachy as most Farscape fans are.

One more thing, using "frell" or any other kind of "Farspeak" is really ANNOYING.

YEAARGGGGGGH!!!111

Hehehe.
Old 2004-10-17, 21:27
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Yes, out of all the americans here only one replied
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2004-10-17, 22:27
Magic Ball Master

Ok. I will watch it. But only beccause I have to.
Old 2004-10-17, 22:30
!!!!!

Is Farscape good? (the tv show)
Perhaps I'll get the first season or something. It's not aired on Israel.

Edit:
DD: Why did you take off that wandering smiley avatar? It was awesome!
Old 2004-10-17, 23:28
Party animal

66% percent of the americans here replied!

We can now sigh in relief.
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2004-10-18, 01:02
Classic

Quote:
This is what I hate about Farscape fans. Fair enough your favourite show got cancelled, but then so have hundreds of others with fans just as committed as you. Hey when Futurama was cancelled I was pissed, but I sure as hell wasn't as preachy as most Farscape fans are.
Maybe if you were it would have helped.
Farscape fans, particularly those of www.savefarscape.com are totaly responsible for the series getting back on the air.
I couldnt even scratch the surface of the sort of things they did to get it back on the air. (and the sort of things they have done to maximise its fanbase, like the fan paid-for tv adverts)

Futurama could be saved if the fans were as organsised and as dedicated as the Farscape fans.
If they are "just as committed" then maybe they should do something about it.
No, internet petitions arnt enough.
The DVD sales of Futurama have been excelent, and the series is cheaper to produce then Farscape. Futurama certainly has a good chance of being saved if there was some united fan effort.

Quote:
Is Farscape good? (the tv show)
Yes.
[/restrained answere]
Old 2004-10-18, 05:30
Magic Ball Master

Just watched the second hour, I didn't think it started until 9 because I wasn't quite sure what timezone I was currently in. Anyway... it was very confusing because I haven't seen any of the show and I missed the entire first hour of the mini series. Possible contender for worst line ever: *Crichton holds up snowball* "This is your universe." *crushes snowball* "This is your universe on wormholes." This line made me ashamed to be human. That and Crichton's constant inane chatter aside, I thought it was pretty good. I'll watch the second half tomorrow night, maybe it'll make more sense by then.

Last edited by DedalousDiggle; 2004-10-18 at 05:42. Reason: The Sun God Marduk compelled me to.
Old 2004-10-18, 18:28
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
Maybe if you were it would have helped.
Farscape fans, particularly those of www.savefarscape.com are totaly responsible for the series getting back on the air.
I couldnt even scratch the surface of the sort of things they did to get it back on the air. (and the sort of things they have done to maximise its fanbase, like the fan paid-for tv adverts)

Futurama could be saved if the fans were as organsised and as dedicated as the Farscape fans.
If they are "just as committed" then maybe they should do something about it.
No, internet petitions arnt enough.
The DVD sales of Futurama have been excelent, and the series is cheaper to produce then Farscape. Futurama certainly has a good chance of being saved if there was some united fan effort.

Yes.
[/restrained answere]
Unfortunately most of the old-school Futurama fans are quite cynical these days, and shoot down rather than support any efforts made by those new to Futurama to resurrect it. At the moment most most Futurama fans are looking at Family Guy however, as it's situation was very similar to Futurama. If that does well, then perhaps good DVD sales and high ratings on Adult Swim will be able to help Futurama out.
Old 2004-10-18, 18:33
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing
No one else has replied. This is pathetic.

Why are people mostly attracted by such lame shows as Matlock and Herculeas instead of something good?

YOU PEOPLE SUCK!
Yes, it is very strange that not a vaste majority of the population is interested in a sci-fi show..
Old 2004-10-18, 19:30
Classic

Yes, its very strange that tnot a vaste majoirty of the populartion is interested in a GOOD show...

Why is sci-fi seen as a tarish? A good show is a good show, whatever freaking genra it is.
----
Quote:
Unfortunately most of the old-school Futurama fans are quite cynical these days, and shoot down rather than support any efforts made by those new to Futurama to resurrect it. At the moment most most Futurama fans are looking at Family Guy however, as it's situation was very similar to Futurama. If that does well, then perhaps good DVD sales and high ratings on Adult Swim will be able to help Futurama out.
Yes, Futurama stands a lot more chance then Farscape ever did...especialy given the president set by Family Guy.
Thats what annoys me most....i feel it would take only a little push to get the series back.
By little, i mean, purhapes 100 leters to the networks?
(which is a tiny fraction of what savefarscape did)

Of course whats really needed is a positive pro-active forum dedicated to it.

Quote:
I thought it was pretty good. I'll watch the second half tomorrow night, maybe it'll make more sense by then.
More sense, yes, but sense in a general sense? probably not
Farscape has very long story arcs, lots of sub-plots and charecters....unfortunatly its hard to tune in and know everything straight away.

Nevertheless, im glade you gave it a go, and im sure you will enjoy part 2.
www.farwhat.com might help you understand a bit more
(a site specialy made by fans to help new viewers )
Old 2004-10-18, 23:57

The reason why most people are repelled by such genres as Sci-Fi and Fantasy, is because they require a lot more thinking than most "Real-Life" fiction genres. Because then you don't have to learn any new cultures, species, termenologies, fictional sciences, etc... When hearing sci-fi, many just associate it with either "mentally-ill" or "a genre for kids"
Old 2004-10-18, 23:59
Classic

quite right.
Which is also why Reality tv is so popular, as it requires zero brain power whatsoever.
Old 2004-10-19, 00:08
Hello

Quote:
The reason why most people are repelled by such genres as Sci-Fi and Fantasy, is because they require a lot more thinking than most "Real-Life" fiction genres.
I highlighted "most" for you.

Darkflame is very right, currently we see the people in the west undergoing a "stupidition" process. They watch reality shows and similar shit on TV, american low-class soaps, Ricki Lake, etc, and get more blunt and stupid.

However, I dont think that fantasy or scifi are more intellectual than other fiction genres. (doh) Judging by the people who reads it, I would say that it isnt. Of course Tolkien is intellectual reading, but I dont think that some fucking David Eddings or similar requires much thinking...
Old 2004-10-19, 00:58
LBA fan

Quote:
The reason why most people are repelled by such genres as Sci-Fi and Fantasy, is because they require a lot more thinking than most "Real-Life" fiction genres. Because then you don't have to learn any new cultures, species, termenologies, fictional sciences, etc... When hearing sci-fi, many just associate it with either "mentally-ill" or "a genre for kids"
This is bullshit. Sorry, but I never thought I'd hear something like this from you. It's simply ignorant and untrue. You're just ignoring the last ~1000 years of good literature.
Ever heard of Cervantes? Dostoevsky? Dante? Tolstoy? Saramago? Proust? Stendhal? Sterne? No? Well, you fucking should. They (and others) are the bloody Gods of universal literature, and ALL of them wrote realistic, "real-life" fiction, that probably require more thinking than ANY sci-fi or fantasy work ever written. Tolkien is a damn middle-age peasant next to someone like Dostoevsky.
Learning new cultures, terminologies, etc, does not require any thinking, it requires good memory.
Writting fantasy does not require intelligence, it requires imagination.
Thinking is trying to see things other people don't see, is medidating over questions, is well, thinking.
The west culture is getting dumb, yes, specially because it's forgetting the works of the good writters.
Old 2004-10-19, 01:16

Not only have I heard of them, but I read half of the works of those authors too. Sadly, Tolstoy, Dostoyevski, and Dante do not make up "most" of the realistic fictions. Moreover, if you pertain to most of the MODERN written novels of that genre, then I am mostly correct in what I've said before. In the modern world, there are a few number of literature "gods." Much of the present day works on realistic fictions have a larger mainstream than even D&D based fantasy novels.
Old 2004-10-19, 02:13
LBA fan

OK.
Sorry, I just tend to be pissed when someone defends fantasy nowadays. I do so because the people that defend fantasy usually vehemently believe that they're some sort of cultural elite, that they're superior to the cattle that doesn't play RPG or can't say a phrase in sindarin. I couldn't disagree more.
Although I love Tolkien, I can't say I ever came to question something, or to intensely feel something inspired by his books. Or that I ever really identified to any of his characters, except in a few passages. It's entertainment, simply. It's not art, for me.
And the state of VERY modern literature (written after the 1970s, or maybe the 1960s) is indeed pretty sad, but there're still many good authors, like José Saramago, Italo Calvino, Umberto Eco and Milan Kundera. We're indeed out of gods, though.
Old 2004-10-19, 11:34
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medur
OK.
Sorry, I just tend to be pissed when someone defends fantasy nowadays. I do so because the people that defend fantasy usually vehemently believe that they're some sort of cultural elite, that they're superior to the cattle that doesn't play RPG or can't say a phrase in sindarin. I couldn't disagree more.
I think you have to remember that Lightwing's argument mostly concerned tv-programs. Most tv-series hardly require any sort of thinking. I think that's a shame because the meduim is capeble of so much more (just think of movies).

The larger part of fantasy literature is absolute crap. One by one they're recycles of what Tolkien put on paper and not with a single one brings up interesting ideas.
I personally think it's a shame that there is hardly any literature (fantasy or not), that also brings a personal element to the storyline. That you truly get concerned about the characters and that you start to think of the situations they go through. That there is more than just the storyline.
I guess the reason why there are so little of these works is because they need time to be composed and edited over and over again, and who has time in these days?
Old 2004-10-19, 14:03
Classic

Theres good and theres bad fantasy just like theres good and theres bad everything else.
Its the thinking that Sci-Fi is somehow inferior is stupid.
Sci-Fi / Fantasy is probably the most free genra there is, giving it the most potential for original well thought out storys. (which makes it even more inexcusable the amount of crap sci-fi...both in books and on tv *cough*startrek*cough*)

eg.
Farscape is a Sci-Fi, It is a Fantasy, But its also a Drama,Horror,Romanace and at times a Comady.

The idea that "oh, its a sci-fi show therefor its not interest/im not watch it" drives me mad.
Stupid twats that think like that dont know what they are missing.
Old 2004-10-19, 14:53
Party animal

Sliders owns Farscape.

"Dear diary, today I started another flamewar"
Old 2004-10-19, 14:58
Hello

Quote:
OK.
Although I love Tolkien, I can't say I ever came to question something, or to intensely feel something inspired by his books. Or that I ever really identified to any of his characters, except in a few passages. It's entertainment, simply. It's not art, for me.
Yes, that was I meant. Lightwing's post was very un-historical.
Old 2004-10-19, 18:14
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin
Sliders owns Farscape.
Of course!