Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2005-03-16, 06:49
Magic Ball Master

I just saw an example of the DS's long standby time first hand... I closed mine and forgot about it completely. Four days later, I come back and Mario's in the exact same place I left him. And still a green power light, too.
Old 2005-03-16, 10:10
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Yes, thats a problem I had...I like to do my own benchmarks on things, but not playing my DS for a long period is a tad hard

Incidently, its probably going to be awhile, but once Nintendo get their Wi-Fi Mojo in gear, we should have a MBN clan
Old 2005-03-16, 13:22
formerly just angry

Well Animal Crossing is slated for a november releaase I believe so we should be online by then too! MBN league by Nov is a definite possiblity (don't disappoint me Nintendo). I managed to have my DS on solid for about 28 hours intersprsed with around 4 hours gaming. I have it off now but only cos I dont want it to run out during my work day....battery experiment to continue
Old 2005-03-16, 16:29
Look beyond reality.

Just thought of something..

You guys think LBA1 could be running on the DS ? Or LBA2?
Old 2005-03-16, 16:48
formerly just angry

LBA 1 easy life - LBA1 ran on original PS and DS is more powerful than that. I think maybe the speech samples may have to be reduced though and the music would have to be changed from CD audio. I guess with a little modification LBA2 should technically possible too. What I really want to see is C&C - original style but different story
Old 2005-03-16, 17:33
thegnarlypanda

Send a message via AIM to hobmoblin
LBA 1 could (well in theory) run on a GP32, if I knew how to port it over I would. It will most definatly run on the DS but I doubt we will ever see it, hey weren't they making a GBA LBA? If it can run on the GBA it can run on anything
Old 2005-03-16, 23:36
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Yes, In thoery it could run on the GBA.

Ever played Tony Hawk? Praticaly the same engine, and with smooth scrolling too.
LBA1 dosnt take much really.

LBA2 could certain run on a DS as well, allthough alterations would have to be made.

As regard to space;
The current set of DS Cards are 128MB.
Thats probably enough for a fair amount, if you factor in the reduced resolution needed for cutscenes. It would be a squeze, but possible I think.

256MB card would be easier, should see those in a few months I guese. (judgeing by the rate at which GBA/GB carts doubled in size)

Quote:
Well Animal Crossing is slated for a november releaase I believe so we should be online by then too! MB
It is online.
Its the 1 confirmed online title by Nintendo
Old 2005-03-17, 10:10
Classic

Quote:
We can confirm that a version of Pro Evolution Soccer for Nintendo DS is already underway at Konami, alongside a version for Nintendo’s Revolution. Both games will be fully online and feature some platform-specific tricks, the details of which were not disclosed.
~Spong

Im not too interested in football games, but if true that might interest some people.

"Platform specific tricks" might mean say,touch screens on the revolution controlls used to view/edit player formations on such.

Just a guese
Old 2005-03-17, 11:51
formerly just angry

Hmm . just with relation to wifi and nifi. I have seen a lot of crap floating around that the DS uses 802.11b for wifi and has a proprietary standard for internal comms (NiFi) - however, most experiments prove that the DS always uses 802.11b for comms its just it doesn't have a built in TCP/IP protocol set for comms on the internet. The NiFi part is the packet type used by the DS, it still uses an Eternet frame, hence it should be entirely possible to decode the NiFi packet and repackage it with a TCP/IP frame....just a thought but it seems to be taking a long time and I want to play Mario online now
Old 2005-03-17, 12:33
Classic

Its possible, the problem is at the moment its not pratical.
Tunneling has only been done with certain wi-fi cards, and only with Linux at that.

I think the firmware of the wi-fi card has to be redone in order to understand Nintendos protocall. (same frequency, but to most cards they think its static).
Its totaly possible, but its a fair amount of work.

Still, they did the cube and that didnt have any protocalls either.

As for proper Wi-Fi TCP/IP for the DS.
Its easy enough to stick it on the game, as its tiny.
Or it could be built in to the firmware already yet hidden at the mo.
Or they could update the firmware ver pc software.
Or they might supply pc software/Wi-fi card bundle.

Many possibilitys.
Interesting to see what they will do.

The two things they have said is:
*Little or no configeration for the end user. (aka, as simple as humanly possible)
*Free (unlikely to be Free Free, more likely "just ISP" free)
Old 2005-03-17, 12:40
formerly just angry

What do you mean by just ISP free? Do you think it will be a monthly subscription as with PSP? I'm not paying for online gaming dammit
Old 2005-03-17, 19:39
Classic

Xbox users pay for the live bill ontop of broadband bill, (and then bills for MMORPG if they play them).

Not sure about PSP arrangements. I dont think its free for hotspots, maybe home use..
Old 2005-03-17, 21:37
Classic

Nintendo DS £55!!!

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9h-70-ckm.html

Now thats high tech at an amazing price.
(clearing for the new coloured models I guese...but who cares about paintwork?)

I highly recomend people snap at this bargin NOW.
I used the site hundreds of times, its perfectly safe and legit.
You will have to pay a bit more with tax, but its still a bargin!
Old 2005-03-18, 16:43
thegnarlypanda

Send a message via AIM to hobmoblin
lol there all gone
Old 2005-03-18, 18:57
Classic

Typical
Old 2005-03-19, 23:15
Classic

Old 2005-03-19, 23:35
Little Bastard Warrior.

God damn it! This is really starting to annoy me. There doesn't seem to be any developers out there, who wants to use the special features for the DS! If the N5 is like the DS and if developers do likewise there, then Nintendo might as quit!
If they're not going to utilize the features of the DS, then the PSP is a better choice. I don't get it!
Old 2005-03-20, 00:02
Classic

?
They both use wi-fi and touchscreen, what more do you want
Old 2005-03-20, 11:42
Magic Ball Master

Oooh looks nice. I've only just realised that the touch screen of the DS will make it possible for a traditional RTS game to be played on it, what with the touch screen fulfilling the role of the mouse. Lovely.
Old 2005-03-20, 13:40
Little Bastard Warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
?
They both use wi-fi and touchscreen, what more do you want
Well their not the least bit interesting at all. The wifi should just be a standard move considering it's there, (I don't get why you couldn't play online in MP2, how hard could it be to implant) and the touch screen use is not something you would really miss. The only two games that REALLY seems to be doing something are Kirby Touch and Yoshi's touch and Go. Another Code seems interesting but doesn't really seem to be usin the features of the console, except for an interesting use of the double screen.
The console features

*Two screens.

*Touch screen.

*Enough power, we don't need more, you should be able to create the best
game ever, Ocarina of Time can run on this system.

*Voice control thingy.

*Wi-fi thingy.

-------

If the developers would please understand this:

*The 3d created on this machine is generally not pretty at all.

*The 2D is awesome.

*Arcade games aren't the way forward.

* And just in case they considered this: NO! No N64 ports. OoT has been released 3 times now, not again, besides, the console has a D-pad not an analog stick, which means you get the crappy controls the PSX had before the (IMO) crappy Dual shock.
-------

Sorry... perhaps I just had to vent some bottled up rage... oh, and as far as I have seen on my friends PS2, Golden Eye Rogue Agent is just a really really crappy game, another prime example of EA's total lack of game creation skills and hunger for money.

EDIT Just read Bushmeisters post. Seems true, yet this is a turn based game.
Old 2005-03-20, 14:03
Classic

AoE2 is a system saler though, many consider it one of the best startergys ever made. And surely a touchscreen emulators a mouse pretty good?
It uses wi-fi, it uses both screens...
Ok, I suppose you could have orders shouted at them into the mic, but I dought it will add much to this type of games.
Graphicaly it could be better...but then, so could the PC one...

As for other games:

Polarium ~ Without touchscreen?eek, would be a nightmate. Dualscreen works well too. Multiplayer, and you can download a demo to another system.

Metroid ~ You couldnt aim without the touchscreen use. Essiential really.

WarioWare ~ 100% touchscreen and mic use. Multiplayer is BADLY missing though, which I do hate.

Mario & Rayman both look pretty great graphicaly to me, and they use the features well.
Partiularly Mario.
Ok, it was designed for an analogue stick, but once your used to the thumbstrap the touchscreen can emulate it pretty well. (demostrating that the touchscreen can emulate other controlls, rather the mearly being a "new" controll).
Mario also uses Single-card multiplayer games. (too short though)
And a host of very touch/dualscreen based mini games.

I think Nintendo covered all bases with Mario
Except the mic

Robots, and The Sims seem to be the only co-out games so far. Both could easily be done on the GBA.
"least imaginative" touchscreen use award goes to Spider Man 2. Allthough graphicaly thats supprisely good, dispit techicaly being 2D.

Quote:
Sorry... perhaps I just had to vent some bottled up rage... oh, and as far as I have seen on my friends PS2, Golden Eye Rogue Agent is just a really really crappy game, another prime example of EA's total lack of game creation skills and hunger for money.
Yes, it is. and yes, they Are.
But FPS games controll quite nicely on the DS.
And 7 player Wi-Fi does sound pretty nice to me.

Quote:
The wifi should just be a standard move considering it's there, (I don't get why you couldn't play online in MP2, how hard could it be to implant)
You mean the metroid game that comes with it?
It has local-area wireless games for 4 players that work amazingly well.

It dosnt have online support yet, because the network itself isnt up and running yet.
I expect Nintendo will make the full version online if they can have the network up before or soon after release. If they cant, they wont bother.

As for Zelda, personaly Id like a DS port of Zelda with a new Four Swords game with it.
Much like the GBA had Lttp with Four Swords Original.

The DS Four Swords should be 3D, and could use the ocarina engine.....when you have a screen per player...you dont need to have it overhead

With DS Cards being many factors bigger then N64 Carts, putting ocarina together with a new game shouldnt be hard.
Old 2005-03-20, 14:47
Still in a dream...

Ooh, thanks for the AOE news DF!

Although, AOE as a turn based game? Doesn't sound too great imo. That said, I'll need to play it before I make a judgement. I tell you what would work well on the DS though - Heroes of Might and Magic. Brilliant game for this kind of console if you ask me...
Old 2005-03-20, 15:57
Little Bastard Warrior.

Quote:
You mean the metroid game that comes with it?
It has local-area wireless games for 4 players that work amazingly well.

It dosnt have online support yet, because the network itself isnt up and running yet.
I expect Nintendo will make the full version online if they can have the network up before or soon after release. If they cant, they wont bother....
eh, no I meant Metroid Prime 2 Echoes

Quote:
....As for Zelda, personaly Id like a DS port of Zelda with a new Four Swords game with it.
Much like the GBA had Lttp with Four Swords Original.

The DS Four Swords should be 3D, and could use the ocarina engine.....when you have a screen per player...you dont need to have it overhead

With DS Cards being many factors bigger then N64 Carts, putting ocarina together with a new game shouldnt be hard.
Argh no. Don't make the DS another port console. Too many ports for the GBA, no more for the DS thank you. New 3D zelda game at least, and then include a 3D four swords.
Old 2005-03-21, 10:53
Classic

But whats the harm in bundeled a port with a new game? like i was surgesting....

Quote:
Although, AOE as a turn based game? Doesn't sound too great imo. That said, I'll need to play it before I make a judgement. I tell you what would work well on the DS though - Heroes of Might and Magic. Brilliant game for this kind of console if you ask me...
Well, theres mixed reports, some sites are saying it "plays like the original" so its not sure next.
Graphics seem simerlar, only with the sprites scaled up a lot. (for the small screen I guese)
---
Indeed.
Ubisoft stached the Heroes rights after 3DO went bust.
Heroes Of Might and Magic 5 is planned for next year, but no news of a DS version.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2005-03-21 at 14:51.
Old 2005-03-21, 11:00
formerly just angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandy
Ooh, thanks for the AOE news DF!

I agree - I wanted to see an RTS really