Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2005-03-22, 21:44
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
As you wish...
Old 2005-03-23, 11:01
formerly just angry

*drool* Oh Lord - and it's feudal Japan instead of just C&C - this rocks! Must find out more...must find out more
Old 2005-03-23, 11:46
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Indeed.
And as a bonus, they look like Lego

Its hard to tell from the screenshot, but it looks like it might be the first game to have software filtered textures
[/nerd]
Old 2005-03-23, 12:16
formerly just angry

either that or the jpg just gives that impression. I don't generall find the lack of filtering too distracting - I was never a big fan of the N64 blurring

EDIT: I Don't know if anyone ever listens to the Jonny walker show on Radio 2 but I was annoyed last night at his description of the PSP. After dismissing Nitendo's DS launch he went on to talk about how the PSP was just like an ipod with pictures. Just a few of the falsehoods he has spread on a non-commercial station!

*It plays MP3s using internal memory
*It plays DVDs by downloading them to the system
*It contains no moving parts and therfore has an excellent battery life

The guy is quite clearly and idiot. Furthermore I continue to read all over that DS is aimed at children! Oh why do they torture me? Most of the Nintendo original hardcore are now in their 20s at least!

Last edited by the_angry_; 2005-03-23 at 14:03.
Old 2005-03-23, 14:23
Little Bastard Warrior.

I have finally found the best reason ever to buy a DS instead of the PSP:
Soon, roms and emulators will be available for the PSP. But it is unlikely that something like that will ever be available for the DS. So therefor:
Buy the DS. Play
Download the PSP: Play.

It's a gamers dream win-win situation, considering most pc should be able to run PSP games.

+ Many games
+ Two consoles, pay for one

- No movies on a your PSP (yeah, what a loss)
- No mp3s on the go (bu-huh, buy an iPod or zen thingy)

+/-... uhm, total collaps of sonys portable department...
Old 2005-03-23, 14:45
Classic

MP3s on the DS has two methods; Play Yen (tba release for europe, but its comeing apperently) or GBAMoviePlayer (which is stunningly excelent device, if bulky).

As for emulators, your absolutely right.
Hardware wise emulateing the DS is possible, but how are you going to replicate the feal of the thumbstrap? Imagine controlling Mario64 with a mouse

Quote:
*It contains no moving parts and therfore has an excellent battery life
He obvious got his fact sheat mixed up, as this is the a discription of the DS.
The PSP has lots of moveing parts, mainly its over the top disc/eject system and the UMD moters/lazers.

I mean, for christ sake.
How much of an idiot do you have to be to say its got no moveing parts O_o
Anyone with two eyes can see thats wrong!
Old 2005-03-23, 15:15
formerly just angry

Essentially it all stemmed from the fact that one of the guys had been over in America for a show and Jonny wanted him to pick him up a PSP - despite the fact they aren't released til tomorrow! What annoys me most is it shows how well Sony's advertising dupes customers into thinking they are getting something better than that which they are receiviong.
Old 2005-03-23, 15:18
inharmonic explorer

Sorry, but saying that the fact you can emulate a PSP is a bad point is devoid of logic. The whole point of a PORTABLE console is that you can use it anywhere.

I'm not dragging my PC around with me hahahahahwh

SHIT a bird ! / no.
Old 2005-03-23, 16:29
Little Bastard Warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS2x
Sorry, but saying that the fact you can emulate a PSP is a bad point is devoid of logic. The whole point of a PORTABLE console is that you can use it anywhere.

I'm not dragging my PC around with me hahahahahwh

SHIT a bird ! / no.
I don't really travel that much anyway. Besides, you can hardly hear anything if your playing on a plane. That best use I've ever had of a portable was on a train trip to prague with my class. 12 hours or something, playing Zelda, advance wars, mario kart and Mario bros.
DAMN that was fun!
Old 2005-03-23, 18:28
Classic

PSP isnt portable really anyway. 4-5 hours of battary life is ok..just..as long as you remember to charge it every time, and your not going on a airplane/long train jorney.
Watching a film on the PSP drains all its power...litarly.
However...the PSP is a delicate beast, its not something you will treat "casualy". The UMDs are big and have an exposed bit meaing:
1) They are the most useless caddy/discs ever
2) Not something to just chuck a few in your pocket.
Im pretty sure most PSP owners will take it out a few times to show off, but play it them on just at home.

The Ds by comparison is more resiltant to "grab it and go" situations.
Old 2005-03-24, 01:48
inharmonic explorer

Hopefully I'll be able to get both.

The DS looks like pure fun, and the PSP looks like it'll satisfy my cravings for beautiful graphics and speed. I can't wait for Wipeout Pure.
Old 2005-03-24, 09:52
Classic

Warning about PSPs though:

Quote:
VG+ Email wrote:To all customers that have preordered a PSP unit,

There have been significant issues regarding the PSP unit and software which have arisen in the past 24hrs that we must update you on. We have already started to receive inventory and begun processing and getting orders ready to ship. The issues are as follow.

DEAD PIXEL WARRANTY AND TESTING...

We have just been infomned by Sony that they will not be warranting any dead pixel units. They are only warranting hardware defects ie broken buttons, malfuction with drive and so on. Dead Pixels are not considered a defect by Sony of America and will not be warrantied. With this new developement, Video games Plus will no longer be testing PSP units for dead pixels before shipping.

PSP Hardware Bundle Canada

We have begun to receive PSP units and we have only received a limited amount of units not bundled with Gretzky Hockey. Here in Canada Sony has decided to sell the PSP'S bundled with Gretzky and no other way. We beleived all our systems were non Gretzky bundles but upon receiving orders and talking to our suppliers we have been infornmed at this moment all remaining incoming PSP systems now and in the future will be Gretzky Bundles. This will only change if Sony decides to stop selling the bundle in Canada which we don't see happening anytime soon. All PSP order numbers above order number 13916 will be filled with PSP Gretzky bundles and charged accordingly. Regular units were $299.99 Gretzky Bundles are 349.99 as they include the Gretzky game.

Software

Games have already been coming in and have begun shipping. We will attempt to add as many games to your PSP order as possible. Where it is impossible due to shortages or delays we will ship your games asap when available. Some software may be shipped seperately from your PSP as there are just way to many orders to ensure all can be connected to software at the moment. All other customer preordering just software will be filled as soon as games arrive and all orders for software and units will be treated as first come first serve so the earlier you preordered the better your chances of being filled at launch or relatively soon there after.

Easter Weekend in Canada

PSP orders will start shipping out today and will continue shipping out daily until all orders are filled. Friday DHL is closed due to a holiday here , so orders not shipped by Thursday night will begin shipping out on Monday again. We will not be in a position to answer all customer service enquiries as quickly as usual over the next few days as we have pulled all staff to help in the shipping of PSP software and hardware orders.

Videogamesplus.ca sincerely apologizes for any inconveince this has caused any of our customers. Unfortunately with the late Sony announcements and decisions we have been left in a position to do our best to serve you under these unforseen circumstances. As always we appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you in the outmost professional and courteous way.

Sincerely,
Steve Fiocco
President
www.videogamesplus.ca
aka:
If you buy one with broken pixals:
Tough shit.

This is why hate Sony, its not there games or systems, its their policys and poor build quality.
Old 2005-03-24, 09:55
Classic

Incidently, the Gizmondo is out now:
www.gizmondo.com
And the Tapware Zodiac is now just under a £100 in most shops. (not too good for games, but an excelent media player/pda)

Dont dismiss the little guys.
Gizmondo is more powerfull then a PSP using more or less pc-hardware,
And Tapware beat Nintendo to the touchscreen gameing idea, plus it has the highest resolution screen of the lot.
Old 2005-03-24, 10:58
formerly just angry

OH NO!!!!! I have dead pixels!!! 2 of the bastards on the touch screen at the right hand side. They are not really proper dead pixels as they work when on, but they will not turn off when the screen is supposed to be black (with the power on) - they stay red and white respectively. The problem only surfaced yesterday so the real question is: do I take it back to Nintendo or live with it My poor baby!
Old 2005-03-24, 11:54
Still in a dream...

Have you tried rubbing or putting pressure on them?

Send it back to Nintendo before they do what Sony are doing with PSPs and say no exchanging dead pixels.
Old 2005-03-24, 12:00
formerly just angry

They are too close to the edge to pressure them and I don't really want to spend weeks without my DS while Nintendo repair it. I might go to Woolies and see if they will swap it for me (hopefully). what I really need to do now is a proper examination to see if there are any more that I missed!
Old 2005-03-24, 13:19
Classic

Nintendo replace any dead pixals, and the process took about 2 weeks for a friend off mine. Thats no garenty though.

The difference between Nintendo and Sonys policy are basicaly thus:
They both have limited supplys at the moment.
Nintendo puts prority on replacements.
Sony puts priority on new sales.

I dont think you have to worry too much on Nintendo changeing their policy,the euro release is the last "burst" of DS sales. After they go steady, Nintendo will just increase supply preportionately to sales...it shouldnt get harder for them to meet demand.
(well, except if they release a proper pokemon game...)

You may just be able to take it back to the shop, and they will give you a new one straight away. (and they then send it off to Nintendo).
I think its the shops choice if they do that though, so good luck
Old 2005-03-24, 13:32
formerly just angry

Oddly enough I checked again and the dead pixels seem to have gone again. I might leave it a few weeks (as it has a year garuntee) and see if it is a pain or not. Judging by other experiences I am probably better getting a replacement after the initial batch are through. I dont want to change a useable one and get a crap one in return basically.
Old 2005-03-24, 14:33
Classic

Well, dead pixals are common, but there still only like 1in1000 sold or such. So there not that common.
So I wouldnt worry about getting a new one thats worse...you can always send that one back too if your that unlikely.

As for them fixing themselfs...that happened on my DS too
I still dont know what did it.
Havnt found one person that has an explanation, so Im glade im not the only one...proves im not mad
Old 2005-03-24, 15:37
formerly just angry

Well, I just hope it stays that way! I would hate to be disappointed with a Ninty product. Never had any problems with GBC, GBA etc

EDIT

Did you know you can put your DS to sleep by placing a magnet in between the x,y,a,b buttons The DS sleeps as the magnet in the speaker activates the switch when you put the lid down. It also explains why there is interference on the top screen when the volume is loud.
Old 2005-03-24, 15:40
Classic

Whoa...thats neat!
Old 2005-03-24, 17:34
thegnarlypanda

Send a message via AIM to hobmoblin
My new phone has a dead pixel one it, just the one though, and my other monitor has one but it doesn't bother me, higher the resolution the harder to see.
Old 2005-03-24, 22:45
Little Bastard Warrior.

I don't really get, when did all this dead pixel stuff start? The first time I heard about it, was when my brother bought a flat-screen monitor. And then the PSP and DS started. I've never heard of the GBA or SP having such.
Old 2005-03-24, 23:24
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
my laptop has a dead pixil. doesnt annoy me too badly. its just 1 little red pixel at the top

theres so many portable thingys i want. what i'd really want is something that can run DS games AND 2552reminder - wish i had a GBA burning thingy. maybe i could try a port one day, when i'm much much much more older and experienced.
Old 2005-03-25, 23:43
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

good, get a monitor to put it on