Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2005-03-25, 23:44
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

avr isnt very "good"
Old 2005-03-28, 16:15
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberg-Ares
I don't really get, when did all this dead pixel stuff start? The first time I heard about it, was when my brother bought a flat-screen monitor. And then the PSP and DS started. I've never heard of the GBA or SP having such.
They had the problem, but Nintendo simply got them before they left the factory.
LCDs have a high error rate, so they all have to be checked before shipping.

The higher-res screens today have not only smaller, but also more advanced LCD technology, that makes dead pixals hard to catch in factors all the time.
(eg, sometimes only one colour is wrong)

Dan2552 ~ If you get "GBAMovieplayer" for the DS (£13) and a compact flash card. (any price, depending on space).
Then you can write your own *.gba files which do anything you like.
If you can code them at that is ^_^
Its a really cool device anyway.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2005-03-28 at 22:05.
Old 2005-03-28, 20:05
thegnarlypanda

Send a message via AIM to hobmoblin
My GBASP has 2 dead pixels on it, but oh well, I don't use it anymore. I use my GP32
Old 2005-03-31, 15:59
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame

Not impressive graphicaly, but it looks like the DS is starting to get the game genra that suits it most : Stratergys
Old 2005-03-31, 16:17
formerly just angry

Horray - at last a games machine that suits me to the ground. For all you nintendo people www.nisute.com (thanks DF) are recruiting column writers at the moment - I am sending off an article soon.
Old 2005-03-31, 17:29
Classic

Yes, I wanted to write an artical about Augmented Reality for awhile, but dont have the time.
I wrote a rather rushed artical for www.cubed3.com awhile ago about next-gen graphics.
Old 2005-03-31, 22:53
Classic

My Revolution Idea:

Simple controll layout; Gyroscopic Stylus with analogue stick as well.
The analogue stick would be button too.

Examples of use:
Controll Mario with the analogue as normal, but use gestures for jumps. (simple rotate upwards to make a normal jump...up and anti clockwise for backflip ect)

FPS, analogue to move, direction of stylus for looking. Click to shot. Gestures of clockwise/anti clockwise to swap guns

Jedi ~ 3D Lightsaber, simple. Analogue to move

Raceing ~ Hold sideways, stylus stears, analogue stick up/down for speed, light right for gears.
Old 2005-04-01, 13:17
thegnarlypanda

Gnarly idea, but aren't they thinking about using touch screen controllers for the Revolution?
Old 2005-04-01, 14:52
Little Bastard Warrior.

Oh damn it, not that rumour here to. It's JUST a rumour, Nintendo havn't stated anything anywhere. Jeez, on another board, somebody said something about someone who knew something UNOFFICIAL, and now everone is saying "fuck nintendo" for no reason at all, because they think it's truth!
Old 2005-04-01, 15:43
Classic

Yes, the fact that touchscreens would drive the price of controlls stupidly high is kinda forgoten as well. Oh, and backwards compatibility would kinda be tricky....

Gryos are the most likely seeing as Nintendo both liesenced and bought major shares in a company that developed small ones early last year.
Nintendo was the ones that made tha analogue stick mainstream, I dought they are given up on it. No, I see their guns aimed squarely at the stupid number of buttons on modern controll pads.
Not many people have trouble with analogue sticks, but from my expirence non-gamers just dont have the patients to learn the buttons.
Old 2005-04-01, 15:55
thegnarlypanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberg-Ares
Oh damn it, not that rumour here to. It's JUST a rumour, Nintendo havn't stated anything anywhere. Jeez, on another board, somebody said something about someone who knew something UNOFFICIAL, and now everone is saying "fuck nintendo" for no reason at all, because they think it's truth!
Gamingworld forum, I read that thread too and I thought it was complete crap. Also in that thread people have mentioned that with a touch screen it would be harder to port games over from other consoles, wouldn't this also apply to gyroscopic controllers?
Old 2005-04-01, 16:03
formerly just angry

Quote:
Iwata spoke about online technology during a speech he made recently at the Game Developers Conference, where he established that the Revolution would come standard with wi-fi capabilities.

The rumors of a touch screen controller weren't addressed, but Iwata did comment that current controllers "may satisfy the hardcore gamers, but they've become too difficult for more casual gamers."

"For the next-generation console, we plan to introduce a friendly user interface so that, for example, a mother who's watching her child playing a game might say, 'Oh, I'd like to try that too,'" Iwata said. "However, user interfaces are devices that can easily be imitated by other companies, so I can't reveal any details right now."

An official introduction of the Nintendo Revolution is expected to be made this May at the E3.

Hmmmm definitely something to do with the control system but very doubtful that it'll be a touch screen. Gyros do seem like the most likely - especially if it is easy to copy! But Nintendo better take note - poeple EXPECT a revolution now, not just a fancy new controller

EDIT:

The DS manages to regain the top spot this week, due to newly released Black and White versions of the console. For those who wish to know, the total sales of the DS since launch now rest at 1,980,966 while the PSP has sold 1,105,415 since launch.

No. Console Week Sales Last Week Sales Year Sales
1 Nintendo DS 55,825 22,446 485,370
2 PlayStation Portable 43,043 43,644 623,163
3 PlayStation 2 40,398 40,270 642,714
4 Game Boy Advance SP 14,904 11,013 212,760
5 GameCube 4,568 3,357 74,584
6 Game Boy Advance 653 477 6,906
7 Xbox 406 345 5,012

Back on top and kicking ass. Read Gamespy's coverage of the US PSP launch - didn't seem great

Last edited by the_angry_; 2005-04-01 at 16:18.
Old 2005-04-01, 17:52
Classic

The PSP sales numbers where ok...but just far less then the million sony was expecting. They hugely overstocked, basicaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobmoblin
Gamingworld forum, I read that thread too and I thought it was complete crap. Also in that thread people have mentioned that with a touch screen it would be harder to port games over from other consoles, wouldn't this also apply to gyroscopic controllers?
Yes and no.
I think its easier to emulate buttons with other devices then it is to emulate a analogue stick.
My design at the top has a press-able analogue stick ("A" button) and thats it

I think most game movements could be easily emulated with gestures.
It depends on the game, of course...fighting games would be tricky.
But, lets say, Starfox Assult played on the Revolution:
Analogue stick controlls ship/aim, press to fire.
Flicking the stick left and right does barrol rolls...a long vertical gesture for a u-turn.
One the ground it would be analogue stick to move, stylus to aim, button to shot.

It would certainly be tricky for some games..but most games I think could work quite well.

*runs off to patent it*
Old 2005-04-01, 20:04
inharmonic explorer

I have a DS and it's fun.

I will also be getting a PSP out here in California-everything is half price for me (around £1 to $2!) so I'll be a very happy portable gamer.

Arguments surrounding "which is better" are ridiculous-they're both completely different and they complement eachother perfectly; the PSP has an orgasmically beautiful widescreen and lovely 3d graphics, while the DS has good battery life and quirky original games with a lot of style-the touch screen also adds a lot to gameplay.
Old 2005-04-01, 22:43
Classic

Actualy, the Tapware Zodiac and the Gizmondo compliments the DS perfectly....but no one buys them because people dont know the brand name
Tapware beat Nintendo too touchscreen.
And the Gizmondo ownz PSP in terms of power. (Some are calling it a portable Xbox, as it has semi-microsoft backing)

Id still hold off getting a PSP till they have a firm policy on replacements.
Old 2005-04-02, 08:53
inharmonic explorer

Nah, my cousins know a guy who has one and it is pretty stunning. I have never seen such a beautiful screen in my life. And I couldn't care less if it is made by "mainstream" Sony-it has Wipeout Pure and a future of other PS2-style games I love in the works (including MGS).
Old 2005-04-02, 12:22
Little Bastard Warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
Actualy, the Tapware Zodiac and the Gizmondo compliments the DS perfectly....but no one buys them because people dont know the brand name
Tapware beat Nintendo too touchscreen.
And the Gizmondo ownz PSP in terms of power. (Some are calling it a portable Xbox, as it has semi-microsoft backing)

Id still hold off getting a PSP till they have a firm policy on replacements.
Still seems like all the hand-helds have a total lack of good game support. I finally understand the DS (I read an article on Nintendos ideas with the system), so I finally understand that Nintendo wants to appeal to different people, girls, parents, perhaps even gran'parents. That's why there's such a lack of games that I like (I would never buy something like Nintendogs). But Sony seems to have a lack of good games support as well. The only thing that seems to be populare is Metal Gear Acid. Strangely enough, Konami wants to be original here, and changes the gameplay totally. Can't judge whether it's fun.
The Tapware and Gizmondo... well they just seem to be lacking game support totally.
Old 2005-04-02, 18:18
Classic

MGA has had very bad reviews, its generaly seen as a quick cash-in.
And its not because its a card game either, because you can have high-rated card games on the same sitse.

CS2X ~ There is no metal gear solid game in development, just the already released metal gear acid card game.
Yes the screen is nice, but its not the nicest. Tapware has high resolution and lower latency, and the Gizmondo is supposed to have an extreamly nice one (but I havnt seen it for myself).
====
As for the DS? Mario Kart, Zelda, Metroid Hunters, Lost in Blue, Nanastray and all the other hundreds of "mainstream" games take quite a bit of time to make.

Thats why your seeing lots of quirky puzzle games at first (Polarium, Zoo-keeper, Metrois). Same goes for the PSP (Liminas and about a bazillion Majonga games in japan....)...allthough there get EA ports from the PS2 in the us.
Good games take time.
Its historicaly been that way with console releases.
Old 2005-04-02, 19:41
Still in a dream...

Maybe one day, LBA for DS? Bottom screen can be the inventory/behaviour mode, and top sc reen the gaming one. WE live in hope :P
Old 2005-04-02, 21:08
Classic

Its possible, LBA would work very well on the format.

The GBA had an amazing collection of RPG's over its life, I'm hopeing the DS has the same.
But with Zelda being a Four-Swords game (which I love but still), theres a big space left for a "Adventure" game.

"Lost in Blue" looks the closest thing at the moment. Or maybe "Another Code" (but that seems more like a point and cli...well, just point)
Old 2005-04-02, 22:08
Little Bastard Warrior.

I actually wonder why companies don't focus more on games like zelda and LBA instead of final fantasy-like games (So called "RPG"s, HAH! Those games wouldn't know a real RPG it it hit them in the head). The battle system in such games have always been seriously lacking.

Of course I agree that sometimes it's fun, but you simply just get more action and gameplay through a real-time battle system. But instead, when they finally make a zelda-like game, they think zelda-like just covers the battle system. Sad.

I would really have liked to see Golden Sun to be a zelda-like game instead. Think about it. It had graphics, music, map-design, story, dialogue, characters and puzzles. If the battle system had been like a zelda game but with team mates and a lot of spells, so it was still a Golden Sun game. It would have been much more fun to play.
Old 2005-04-02, 22:45
thegnarlypanda

I have some good news, good for me at least. If I can find out how much money I have in my bank I can buy a DS!!
Old 2005-04-02, 22:46
Classic

Cool, what game you getting?
=====
Nah, I want Golden Sun how it is, thanks.
Golden Sun was *perfect* imo.
A wonderfull game. With a real time battle system you would lose all the spell casteing-ness.....it would just be very hard to do that neatly in real time.

Turn Based has the adventage of being much more stratergic, but risks repetition and is hard to get into.
Real Time is more accessible but lacks depth.

Personaly, I love hybred systems.
"Mario & Lugias Super Star Saga" had a great battle system, and too a lesser extent Paper Mario 2.
Pick your move *then* have a small bit of real-time action.

I think that should be standard in most RPG's really.

The DS release list is packed with RPGs now that I look, but very few real-time ones.

X-Men Legends is purhapes worth mentioning, I liked the cube version a lot. It did 4-player co-op RPGs pretty nicely, if slightly shallow. Hopefully the DS version will be just as good.

Apart from that all the ones I recognise are turn-based...allthough theres quite a few I dont have a clue about.

Theres also 6,7 games by Squaresoft...most probably all turn based.
There is a crystral cronicals game comeing out I have high hopes for.
Now they have the basic mechcanics sorted, and dont need to keep people on the same screen, im sure they will improve the landscapes, add much more puzzles, and make it less repedative.
Hopefully they wont stretch the story so thinly too. (CC had a great story, just it all packed near the last years so hardly anyone could be bothered to get that far)
Old 2005-04-02, 23:13
Little Bastard Warrior.

Golden Sun was a totally awesome game, but strategy, nah. A thing like strategy often seems none existing in those games. Super-star saga was great, which reminds me, I gotta play it some more.

When it comes to magic in Golden Sun, well, it was kinda useless, Equip Isaac, Garet and Felix with all the best weapons and make the a Ronin, a Samuria and a Paladin, and there no reason to use summons. I agree that it did look REALLY! cool
--------
The thing I'm saying, is just that they should focus more on games like zelda and LBA, but not the battle system only, also the freedom of movement and the puzzles.
Old 2005-04-03, 00:49
thegnarlypanda

Super Mario DS, I never played the N64 version. BTW Cyberg, did you fight dullahan in GS2? He is hard.