Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2005-03-11, 01:26
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Nintendo Junk... (or "WTF OMG A NEW ZELDA TRAILER!")

Trailer:
http://www.cubed3.com/screens/march2005/gcloz2.avi

Screens:
http://www.cubed3.com/viewmedia.php?...&screenid=7336

And also, Nintendos future stuff:

Quote:
<LI>Nintendo's next game console, code-named "Revolution," is proceeding on schedule and will include both backward compatibility and Wi-Fi features.

<LI>Nintendo soon will offer a free Wi-Fi connection service to Nintendo DS owners.

<LI>Iwata demonstrated several new software titles using the innovative features of the Nintendo DS, including voice recognition, touch-screen control and wireless connectivity.

<LI>Iwata unveiled new images from the highly anticipated Legend of Zelda adventure coming this year for Nintendo GameCube.

"This is Nintendo's plan: make our existing game world better," Iwata said. "For us, this is a passion. This is a mission of adventure."

Revolution: Iwata announced that Revolution will feature built-in Wi-Fi protocols, which will allow users around the world to connect with one another wirelessly. Revolution's technological heart, a processing chip developed with IBM and code-named "Broadway," and a graphics chip set from ATI code-named "Hollywood," are being designed to deliver game experiences not possible to date.

"We're excited to be developing the graphics chip set for Revolution, which continues our longstanding relationship with Nintendo," says Dave Orton, ATI Technologies Inc.'s president and chief executive officer. "As the leading graphics provider, ATI is committed to delivering exceptional visual performance that enables consumers to interact with new and visually compelling digital worlds. ATI is proud to support Nintendo's innovative contributions to gaming."

Nintendo DS: Iwata announced that the Wi-Fi protocol for Nintendo DS will provide users with a link to other players across the country or around the world. Once the service begins later this year, Nintendo DS users will be able to connect to the service wirelessly at Wi-Fi hot spots, whether they're at home, in a hotel or at a coffee shop. As one of several Wi-Fi games, Nintendo's in-house development team is creating a new Animal Crossing game for global Wi-Fi play.

On the keynote stage, Iwata also took part in a spontaneous eight-player wireless contest of Mario Kart DS to demonstrate the local area network capabilities of Nintendo DS. He added that shipments of the DS game system have now surpassed 4 million units to North America and Japan in the 16 weeks since launch. With the system set to debut in thousands of stores across Europe within hours of his address, that number will approach 6 million units shipped by the end of March.

DS software: The speech featured a live demonstration of two Nintendo DS software titles that Iwata said represented types of entertainment that go beyond the traditionally accepted definitions of "video games." One, Nintendogs, asks owners to nurture and interact with a variety of breeds of digital puppies. Puppy owners can issue voice commands, play games and train their puppies while developing real emotional bonds with them. Nintendogs is set to launch later this year in North America. The second title, Electroplankton, offers an otherworldly array of sights and sounds aimed to soothe or stimulate players with the innovative use of both the touch screen and voice interaction. "This is designed to produce harmony, not adrenaline," Iwata said.
I'll comment later, but the trailer is bloody cool.
Maybe a bit too LOTRish though
Old 2005-03-11, 08:10
inharmonic explorer

I enjoyed the article-I'm glad to see Nintendo have a hope for the future.

Zelda better be good; I can't tell much from the trailers other than the graphics are great, but perhaps a bit too "mature"-I've always enjoyed the surreal cartoonisque aspects of the Zelda games.
Old 2005-03-11, 11:32
Little Bastard Warrior.

I know there is a lot of time left before release, but I do wonder why only Link looks REALLY good graphics wise (everything is really nicely animated)

Last edited by Cyberg-Ares; 2005-03-11 at 12:06.
Old 2005-03-11, 12:23
formerly just angry

I enjoyed the article and am glad that nintendo are pressing forwards I only hope thay dont compromise their 100% about the games position in favour of "sexy".
Old 2005-03-11, 18:05
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBall2K
This screenshot looks like it was taken from MGS3.
It surely being the first game to use a jungle/woodland location.

Also, that trailer was pretty snazzy.
Old 2005-03-11, 20:16
Still in a dream...

Sod Zelda, after MGS3, theres no going back!
Old 2005-03-11, 23:39
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via AIM to StarmanDX Send a message via MSN to StarmanDX
They might as well just call it The Legend Of Frodo, for god's sake. I don't have high hopes for this one. :/
Old 2005-03-12, 02:05
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Because Im so sad, I am going to analyse these screens from the trailer

Also helpfull for people too lazy/cant download.

Starts as the last one ended.
Stunning textureing on the charecter really. Dispite the relative low-resness of it, the texture on the fabric is great. Animation detail is, like Wind Waker, still excelent. The way he closes his eyes for a fraction as he draws his sword.
Some Castle in the background at night it looks like.

The road link is standing on is actualy connected to the geometry in the background in this one...amazingly at the end of the previous trailer it wasnt.

The castle/background was actualy a virtical texture that started just at the end of the bridge!

The water hits you and seems impressive, but really, this is bog-standard Gamecube water.
Starfox, Mario, WaveRace...loads of games have used it.

Refraction, Reflection and Transprency...some of the Gamecubes graphical strengths

What is an improvement is the underwater wavy-ness effect. Mario Sunshine didnt have this. The tropical water looked perfect on the surface, but just like air when you were in it.
This Zelda game, by comparison adds a horizontal sine-wave like ripple. Giveing a simerlar effect to the old "squashing" FOV effect used in Ocarina of Time for underwater locations.
Needless to say it looks very nice.

Its good to have simple confirmation that link can swim really.
Dispite all the water in TWW, it seemed like no one could actualy swim....

When watching the trailer I thought these were dogs...but in the screenshot they look far more like cats.
The forest enviroment looks excelent...ground a little low-res though.
Either way I love the inclusion of more animals.
Seems to be a common theme thoughout the trailer.

Before this screen there is a brief flash of what could be an Ent-like creature. Some plant like being at least.
A relative of the Decu tree?

One of those Nintendo artists sure likes the black-with-glowing-bits style....
Wind Waker and Paper Mario 2 both had simerlar textures.

Either way this creature looks interesting..seems to be an much advanced form of the things that "hop" after you.
One of these games Id like to see the culture that builds this stuff...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zelda1.jpg‎
Views:	418
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	4593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zelda3.jpg‎
Views:	149
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	4595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zelda2.jpg‎
Views:	431
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	4596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zelda4.jpg‎
Views:	367
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	4597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zelda5.jpg‎
Views:	407
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	4598  

Last edited by Darkflame; 2005-03-15 at 02:50.
Old 2005-03-12, 02:32
Classic

Link can fly!!

On a more serious note, the sphere in the middle looks like a trigger/switch for sure....and I think there just might be some water nearby towards the back
Water? Fire? Switch?....
This area certainly seems related to the block-pushing one on the previous trailer. There was fire present in that one too if you looked closely

Another lovely looking creapy forest.
The greens are quite earierly bueitifull imo.
Goes a bit quick to make much out here though.

Link rides off on an epic quest to find some sunglass's....

Horseback fighting and rideing seems a big thing in this

It was badly missing from Wind Waker ,so it looks like Nintendo have been listening to the good critism as well.

I wonder if you get these sort of chases at random when in the overworld?

Camera position carefully to show off heat-haze effect.

Looks like a standish Zelda fighting section..but the creatures look quite cool.

Skeliton dogs? cool
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zelda6.jpg‎
Views:	418
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	4599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zelda7.jpg‎
Views:	355
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	4600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zelda8.jpg‎
Views:	402
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	4601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zelda9.jpg‎
Views:	358
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	4602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image11.jpg‎
Views:	388
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	4603  

Last edited by Darkflame; 2005-03-13 at 06:16.
Old 2005-03-12, 03:14
Classic

I can official confirm this bit will be controlled by the Bongos.

No, not really...but...well..it does look like something from the excelent Jungle Beat...and look at his chest!
hmz..you still look unconvienced...

Link knows where he has to hit him, hes just not sure he wants too....

Here it is, theres the big things...
I think this is a criticaly important bit that reflects the whole game.
now you dont see them...

Now you do.
Im gueseing you put on a mask to see them...
See the yellow trail? anyone played Discworld Noir? ^_^

I think this new Zelda game is going to be a ghost story.
This has got me very excited about it.

There was nothing immature about cell-shadeing, and theres nothing mature about realistic graphics. However...if this is what the game is based around I can see how it wouldnt "fit" with cell shadeing.
Ghosts have always been in the Zelda games, of course, but I get the feeling they will be more critical in this one. Particaly with that yellow trail...its surely a gameplay mechcanic.

Theres more screens to back up my "ghost story" idea, but im too lazy to post more now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zelda10.jpg‎
Views:	367
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	4604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zelda13.jpg‎
Views:	368
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	4606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zelda14.jpg‎
Views:	407
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	4607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zelda15.jpg‎
Views:	332
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	4608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zelda12.jpg‎
Views:	375
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	4609  

Last edited by Darkflame; 2005-03-13 at 05:53.
Old 2005-03-12, 09:52
Magic Ball Master

This game seems to have a bit of the Wind Waker in it anyway, as you can see, at least with certain enemies, the "turning into a black ball whilst letting out a big whoosh of purple smoke" idea is being used again once you kill them.
Old 2005-03-12, 11:25
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Sorry, I can't play this game, because I dismiss any Nintendo game as bad before I even play it.
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2005-03-12, 11:28
Magic Ball Mister

lol!!! Ive played it (My friends got it) 8/10 not bad
Old 2005-03-12, 16:29
inharmonic explorer

Darkflame, thanks for the awesome analysis. I'm very excited about this game.
Old 2005-03-12, 19:54
Classic

I'll do the rest when I have time...the trailer has lots of little things to spot
The game is made by a simerlar team that did "Majoras Mask" and I absolutely loved the "feel" of that game.
(for the record, I think Majoras Mask was one of the darkest games ever made...refering to the "deep" meaning of Dark that is)
Old 2005-03-12, 20:23
Magic Ball Master

[QUOTE=Darkflame(for the record, I think Majoras Mask was one of the darkest games ever made...refering to the "deep" meaning of Dark that is)[/QUOTE]

Same here, it really made the game unique and one of my favourite Zeldas. It's good to hear that a lot of the team from that are working on this, it should hopefully give it either a similar or equally significant feel.
Old 2005-03-12, 21:44
Classic

Indeed.
Its also partly why I think it might be like a ghost-story this time
===
Offtopic, but, seeing as a few people talked of MGS3
http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000250035660/
Old 2005-03-12, 22:01
Little Bastard Warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
I'll do the rest when I have time...the trailer has lots of little things to spot
The game is made by a simerlar team that did "Majoras Mask" and I absolutely loved the "feel" of that game.
(for the record, I think Majoras Mask was one of the darkest games ever made...refering to the "deep" meaning of Dark that is)

This gives me the shivers. MM was really a two sided coin. It was as great as any zelda game, but it was also re-using even more the zelda stuff we're use to than usual. Also, the idea of making every single person in the game deep and with a background was great, but in the end, very few people liked who you always had to start over. In fact, I think the #1 complani about Fallout and Pikmin 1 too, was the time limit.
Then there was the lack of dungeons. Now, it's clear Nintendo wanted to make this a story based game, so I can understand that dungeons weren't so important. Unfortuantly, most of the great parts of zelda games, are the dungeons. And if a dungeon is hard and weird, and you also have a time limit, your gonna get mad.

Personally, I hope Nintendo will:

- Have no time limit
- Kill Tingle
- Eliminate "dungeons", and turn them into areas that are simply part of the game
- Kill Tingle
- Kill Jar Jar if Lucas doesn't
- Kill Tingle
- Make all areas full, like in Metroid Prime 2. The graphics might not be the best anymore, but every area is so full that it just of plant life, critters and great map design, that you don't notice it.

PS: I actually like Jar Jar, it was just that spoof trailer for ROTS
Old 2005-03-12, 22:30
Magic Ball Master

Although there were relatively few dungeons, I found the ones which were present to be highly innovative when compared to those in past Zelda games and the final one inside the moon was higly stylistic. I myself really liked Tingle, he was a good example of the overall feel of the game - somewhat strange, on the surface in quite a funny way but underneath in a slightly disturbing way - and I feel that the time limit was justified, as not only did it add immediacy to the game at points but it also allowed the brilliant time sytem of MM to be used. To be honest I didn't really find it hard to start a new dungeon at the beginning of the first day, slow down time with my ocarina, and have it completed by the end of the final day.
Old 2005-03-12, 23:26
Classic

The dungoens and pre-dungoen sections in MM mask was FAR bigger the Ocarina of time, which almost made up for their being only four of them.

Also, what was the big deal with the time system? I never found it that hard.

Also.actualy..I thought the time stoped when you were actualy in a dungoen no?
Its just the pre-dungoen bit that was tricky.

Personaly I loved the time limit.
The gloress "impact" it made sometimes was wonderfull.
Manipulating the time line...the voice of the fairy quickly urgeing you to go back...the wonderfull.... "Dawn of a New" day....black and white message that finaly came up at the end.
It was like Ground Hog day would be if it was directed by Peter Jackson.
Even now it sends a chill down my spine to think of bits of it.

Continious landscapes are a must....but Nintendo has long been going that way.
MM was a step up from OoT, TWW was almost completely seamless.
Im sure there will be dungoens, but they will be totaly intergrated into the world seamlessly.
I just hope theres plenty of puzzles and action and less fetching/collecting.
I like some collecting, but TWW was completely overkill.
Clearly done to speed up development time.

As for Tingle, he is a pediphile...probably end up being the made villian of this new one
Old 2005-03-13, 05:50
Classic

Interesting

Thing to note:
Link is *already* covered in a caccoon before the spider jumps on him.

This either means the spider had a trap Link got caught in...or...its a clever trap to attract the spider.
Link dosnt seem to have a problem breaking out.
Was the player taping the button rapidly...hopeing to get out before being eaten?
.....or mearly waiting for the spider to jump on him in a completely planed way?

These creatures seem to be trying to knock link off, kinda simerlar to the sharks in TWW.
Link seems to be rideing to a castle/town of some sort...however..it does look different to the one in Ocarina of Time.

"Stay still....I dont have very good depth perception!"

This is another fine example of how natural selection dosnt exist in Nintendo games.
You would have thought having hundreds of years of green fairy-boys attacking you meant obvious signs of weakness would be hidden better?

But no, bright target-eyes are still in fashion.

Now this is great
In a Donkey-Kong like move, Link can now ride other animals.
Look at the size of that thing!
Drum those Bongos Link!

The final shot.
More evidence for the dark "Ghost Story" like theme.

Cliché though it is, Personaly I found this end bit very awe-inspireing, and quite unlike anything in a Zelda game before.

What is the significancy of this animal?
Do you controll it? Rescue it? Friend ? Foe?

The idea of link turning ware-wolf does have it charm, but perhapes its more likely an animal companion you get along the way.
Wouldnt it be cool to call a pack of wolves to help you in some places?

Theres a strong animal theme over all of this trailer, and I am convienced the ghost bit is very significant.
But we must have more patients, because the answeres will not come for quite a few months yet.

In the meantime, let the speculation begin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zelda16.jpg‎
Views:	344
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	4618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zelda18.jpg‎
Views:	308
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	4620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zelda19.jpg‎
Views:	372
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	4621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zelda20.jpg‎
Views:	317
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	4622  

Last edited by Darkflame; 2005-03-13 at 06:01.
Old 2005-03-13, 10:48
inharmonic explorer

Thanks again Darkflame.

I hope there is some lightness and humour to this game too, though. There are plenty of dark, violent games about and I want Zelda to be a bit insane and fairy-tale like in at least some places (don't get rid of Tingle!)
Old 2005-03-13, 13:06
Magic Ball Master

I want Nintendeo to make a weird, trippy, fucked-up Zelda like Links Awakening.

By far and away my favourite Zelda game.
Old 2005-03-14, 01:23
Classic

It was my first Zelda game, so I loved that one too.
Sad ending though

CS2x ~ I agree.
But I dont think we should worry, this game might look darker...but then so did Majoras Mask, and that seemed more of a fairly tale then Ocarina.

I think we can count on some crazyness.
This IS Nintendo.....
Old 2005-04-21, 15:27
Classic

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewto...=503262#503262

(more pictures on the link)