Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2005-05-18, 14:12
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axx
I think Sony won the market simply because they tap into JAPANESE AND AMERICAN markets so well, they make games americans will like (shoot em ups, and gta style games) and games that japanese people adore (FF and other rpgs) while Xbox is very much american, and nintendo too japanese (whens the last time i remember seeing good war simulators on a nintendo?)
Sony dosnt make those games though, they are 3rd partys that stick with the most popular brand...which normaly is sony.
However, Microsoft is Getting Final Fantasy support, and the DS is getting shitloads of Square support. (Sony kinda pissed off square recently, long story).

Same goes for GTA and what-not, Sony has very little to do with them.

As for good war simultors?

Advance Wars is an excelent, excelent series.
But you probably wernt talking about turn-based statergys
(well, the gamecube one isnt turn based, but i dought it can match the depth of the portable ones).
Of course you also get all the Medal-of-Honor games and the like on the cube, but they are third party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
3. Unknowen games. (Except Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy CC online and Smash Brothers)

Don't forget Metroid Prime 3.
Well...they didnt actualy confirm that was for revolution..they hinted...and it seems likely...but they didnt say

Quote:
No... Tiger just has creepy arms.
I take it back O_o

Suppose its just the muscle looks funny twisted that way...
Old 2005-05-18, 15:22
Look beyond reality.

Guys. Check this out, very very very interesting: http://mozlapunk.web-log.nl/log/2574056
Old 2005-05-18, 15:53
formerly just angry

Interesting interesting conspiracy theories. I have yet to d/l the Ninty conference - will do that tonight so I can assess the "mood". Now of course it is likely to be bs.....However there is always the fanboy inside of me that wants to.....to....to *faints*
Old 2005-05-18, 16:39
Little Bastard Warrior.

Okay, I'm getting insane! where is:

Spore

Mario 128

Half-Life 2: Aftermath

MORE REVOLUTION!!!!

MORE ZELDA !!!!
------
This year's E3 reportage from all sites is empty. What the hell is it all about, only showing that weird (but still funny) MGS trailer?
Old 2005-05-18, 17:01
formerly just angry

Dunno - I have been on the edge of my seat since 9am yesterday....and when all the news came through at 6pm it was crap
Old 2005-05-18, 19:44
Magic Ball Master

While the Revolution 'looks' the best of the three from an aesthetical point of view, it's design raises the following questions:

1. It's compact. Surely this will hinder it's power in comparison to PS3 and the 360?

2. Surely it will overheat like a motherfucker?

Nice move on the free online shindig though. But not entirely convinced. 360 seems kind of 'meh', and the PS3 looks like a cooling tower with the most horrendous control ever conceived (seriously, they must have been smoking crack when they came up with that...).
Old 2005-05-18, 20:16
Little Bastard Warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapman
I doubt it, despite the fact that I know nothing about this sort of thing XD

But I guess we'll get the answer once DF rips open his and starts talking about how great it's put together, while we just stare blankly and nod... (I kill myself!)
Old 2005-05-18, 20:19
inharmonic explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapman
While the Revolution 'looks' the best of the three from an aesthetical point of view, it's design raises the following questions:

1. It's compact. Surely this will hinder it's power in comparison to PS3 and the 360?

Nice move on the free online shindig though. But not entirely convinced. 360 seems kind of 'meh', and the PS3 looks like a cooling tower with the most horrendous control ever conceived (seriously, they must have been smoking crack when they came up with that...).
I agree with 1 and 2 wholeheartedly. There's something really..."so what?"...about the Xbox360. I think it was because they were loosing money on the original Xbox.
Old 2005-05-18, 20:34
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
That was the reason certainly...but neathertheless I have yet to see any PS3 demo that beats a few of the *actual playable* Xbox360 stuff.

The only non-done-before thing in their whole demos was the ripping cloath on the little boats. That was cool and new....yet they barely mentioned it.

They do know the gamecube had water like they were showing off from day 1? (wave race). I even simulated a teapot-falling onto water demo on my PC too prove to a friend it was nothing new

As for E3....its on for a few days, hence it takes time for the news to be typed and published.
Im happy with the knowledge of a new mario & lugia game and the trailers to Zelda for now.

I do want to hear about Spore though
And maybe some of the early augumented reality stuff on the Gizmondo.
Old 2005-05-18, 20:36
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot13
Guys. Check this out, very very very interesting: http://mozlapunk.web-log.nl/log/2574056
The video was made by a fan, I saw other videos done by him.
Sorry.
No VR.
(the fact anything like that would cost £1500 kinda slips past people too )
Old 2005-05-18, 20:38
Little Bastard Warrior.

http://nintendoinsider.com/site/EEEyFZAFZurLtiJWyo.php

And

http://cube.ign.com (NEW NEW NEW ZELDA!)

Seriously, from these new facts, and the new trailers, this game looks SO FUCKING awesome. And I love the fininishing move.

Okay, I had some time to think about things and watch the trailers again (IGN has them too, but they also have more zelda trailers).
This game just already seems so perfect. It's like they took TWW and just perfected it in every way. Combat seems so smooth, all the animation looks great, the enemies look really good now, the music is gonna be movie-like, the HUD is Lord of the Rings elvish-like (beautiful) and like every other Miyamoto game, it looks like incredible fun. I smell Famitsu 40/40.

Last edited by Cyberg-Ares; 2005-05-18 at 21:09.
Old 2005-05-18, 21:11
thegnarlypanda

Send a message via AIM to hobmoblin
I want Golden Sun 3
Old 2005-05-18, 21:12
formerly just angry

The best part of the PS3 demos imo was when the glasses were pciking up and throwing water - treating it like a reral substance instead of a surface
Old 2005-05-18, 21:33
Little Bastard Warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobmoblin
I want Golden Sun 3
Me too

---------

There does seem to be missing something in the zelda trailers. Link doesn't appear to be able to pick up the weapons of the enemies.
Old 2005-05-18, 21:44
Classic

Me three
No sign of camalot really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_angry_
The best part of the PS3 demos imo was when the glasses were pciking up and throwing water - treating it like a reral substance instead of a surface
Yes.
But dont think the whole bath was a billion metablob particals, it was a neat trick with booleans for the transitions, then perhapes a few hundred particals when it was tosed about.

Put it this way;
The bath certainly didnt go down by a cupfull of water
(if it was that powerfull to treat the whole bath as a fluid of billions of particals, they would have done a demo that showed that...eg, paint being poored into the water)
Old 2005-05-18, 22:18
Classic

a) Its quite different, compare the original ps2 to the rev and they have only two things in common; Colour and both rectangles.
The PS2 is far from minimalist.

b) I'm *not* raving about the revolutions design now, it mearly looks good by default.
Old 2005-05-19, 13:10
inharmonic explorer

The PS2 Slimeline beats em all.
Old 2005-05-19, 14:23
formerly just angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
Me three
No sign of camalot really.

Yes.
But dont think the whole bath was a billion metablob particals, it was a neat trick with booleans for the transitions, then perhapes a few hundred particals when it was tosed about.

Put it this way;
The bath certainly didnt go down by a cupfull of water
(if it was that powerfull to treat the whole bath as a fluid of billions of particals, they would have done a demo that showed that...eg, paint being poored into the water)

Aw dammit - now the PS3 vids own much less than I thought - but you have a good point.

What really annoys me at the moment is the Revolution details. Iwata wants us to get excited cos Revolution

A) Uses 12cm discs....woo hoo, I hated those 8cm ones :S

B) Can download old games....so can my PC

C) Can be mounted horizonally or vertically...that is possibly the least inspiring opener about a console EVER!!!
Old 2005-05-19, 14:31
Magic Ball Master

Heh, looks like Nintendo are going to fuck up once again. 3rd place awaits.
Old 2005-05-19, 14:46
formerly just angry

http://www.nintendonow.com/index.php...942eda3a38e651

or maybe not,.....if the manic fanboy in me is anything to go by....Hell this is an emotional rollercoaster
Old 2005-05-19, 15:34
Classic

Thats nonsense, theres so much so called "evidence" thats absolutely nothing.

"B) Can download old games....so can my PC"

Yes, but who actualy does?
I mean I use emulators a bit...but having a "play every nintendo game ever" machine sitting by my TV is a much nicer way to do it.
Especialy as N64 emulators have a tedancy to fuck-up on vital bits of games.
And keyboards suck for some games.

Plus its slightly more legal/moral you know.

Also, more then that; It raise's the possibilty that small companys can distrubute games this way.

Thats HUGE thing it really is.
It dosnt seem that from the user side, but some small publishers side this could make a big difference (the difference between remaining identpendant or getting swallowed by EA).
Then theres the possibility of even small homebrew games being shared around

Imagine; What www.newgrounds.com is to Flash, The Revolution could be to games.

All these depends on sensible priceing from Nintendo, of course.
Varying from game to game, I would hope £5 is the absolute maxium for any NES games, £10 for snes, £15 for N64. (and thats being generious, most games should be much cheaper)

Nintendo gave many games away free with Animal Crossing, so I am hopeing their hedous priceing for the "Classic" range was just due to the GBA Cart costs and distribution inferstructure.

Quote:
Aw dammit - now the PS3 vids own much less than I thought - but you have a good point.
...perhapes I shouldnt mention that "Killzone" was actualy mostly prerendered FMV "concept" footage

Seriously though,to be positive to sony, that sail ripping on the water....its seems such a small thing but it has a lot of potential. Everything else is better versions of existing stuff....but to have something physicaly *rip* and the physics to work perfectly is something fundimentaly new.

I hope to see a lot more stuff like that

I hope the Revoltion is able to handel the same physics regards of the graphics. (actualy I hope they stick a PPU in it)

Imagine Paper Mario 3...with real paper crumpling and ripping effects

Quote:
Heh, looks like Nintendo are going to fuck up once again. 3rd place awaits.
Why?
Have you looked the estimated prices for the PS3 ?
Either its going to be bloodly expensive, or they are going to take a huge lose in sales.

Nintendo seems to be the most stable of the three as far as actualy makeing a profit goes.

This time around they have produced a console that looks pretty good, internet out the box, and is going to launch with their best saleing franchise. (Smash Bros, weirdly, was and is the highest saleing cube game to date)

Thats pretty much the 3 main problems people complained about last time solved.
Old 2005-05-19, 15:38
formerly just angry

I suppose that whole internet distribution thing would be excellent for the small software houses - so I take it back. Ninty seem keen on making Rev cheap and easy to develop for and this seems like the ultimate way to do that.

As for pricing - PS3 and Xbox 360 are both rumoured to go stateside around $400 which would be around £350 here...ouch!!!
Old 2005-05-19, 17:02
formerly just angry

http://www.nintendonow.com/index.php...articleid=2654

Oh Lord - will the speculation never end?!? This is killing me.
Old 2005-05-19, 17:16
inharmonic explorer

Darkflame, I think you're being a bias against Sony here.

I can easily admit what I've seen of the PS3 (videos and specs) is very impressive, and from reading discussions on other forums, many agree.

What I am least impressed with is the Xbox360. Sure, it looks nice, but I've seen PC games and even Xbox and Gamecube (Resi4) games come fairly close.
Old 2005-05-19, 17:45
formerly just angry

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archi...arketing-ploy/

A proper summary of the excitement

Tags
games, videogames