Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2005-05-19, 17:48
Still in a dream...

Ofcourse the PS3 will be expensive at launch. What a ridiculous argument. Every fucking console is expensive at launch. Only reason Nintendo are making a low price is because they know they won't get sales otherwise from non-hardcore fans.
Old 2005-05-19, 18:54
Little Bastard Warrior.

DF: Wait what? The killzone thingy was an FMV? and not in-game? HA!
Old 2005-05-19, 22:17
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
*part* of it was in game, but most was FMV.

Thats the thing I hate, everyone should have to label stuff as either FMV or Realtime, imo ;-/

Quote:
Ofcourse the PS3 will be expensive at launch. What a ridiculous argument. Every fucking console is expensive at launch. Only reason Nintendo are making a low price is because they know they won't get sales otherwise from non-hardcore fans.
err...No.
The Xbox and Gamecube both launched at very reasonable sub-£150 prices.
Gamecube was going to be £150, Xbox was going to be £170
But they kinda tried undercuting eachover before launch, and thus we got very a very reasonble price of £130

Sony wont launch at a stupid price, thanks to Nintendo and Microsoft consoles simple cant cost that much any more.
The PSP couldnt launch at its predicted price, sony saw that no amount of hype could sale something expensive that is fundimentaly not needed. Not when theres compeditors with cheap alternatives.

If anything, the expensive prices will last a few months at most.

====
DS News:
Viewfull Joe DS sounds excelent:

Quote:
But the character's VFX special abilities are unlike anything you've ever experienced before. At least in the demo, Joe cannot slow down time like he could in the GameCube design. Instead, he gets a new assortment of special VFX abilities. Players, for example, can literally split the scene on the lower screen, dividing the environment in half horizontally to do specific tasks. So, for example, say there's a fire blocking your way. By splitting the scene and sliding the upper half over, you might be able to break a waterpipe and spray water down onto the fire below. Or, you might need to kick a huge bomb straight up in the air, but an object prevents it from getting as high as it can. Split the scene and move it out of the way.
Sorry, but thats one of the coolest play mechcanics I have ever heard off O_o
Old 2005-05-19, 22:25
Magic Ball Master

Words of wisdom from the main man here.
Old 2005-05-19, 22:34
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS2x
Darkflame, I think you're being a bias against Sony here.

I can easily admit what I've seen of the PS3 (videos and specs) is very impressive, and from reading discussions on other forums, many agree.

What I am least impressed with is the Xbox360. Sure, it looks nice, but I've seen PC games and even Xbox and Gamecube (Resi4) games come fairly close.
To some things yes;Lots of Xbox360 games are ports of Xbox1 games at the moment.
But to Gears of War ? No.
To the Godfather? Go back and look at that face again

There is a small number of games that look very next gen.

But you cant fairly compare PS3 concepts and tech demos to actualy-real-playable-games.

Oh, and dont believe Sonys hyperbole.
They have great specs, but what they actualy say (2 terraflops) is fantasy land.
(allthough perhapes not as fantasy as some microsoft guy saying he hopes to sale it to a billion people )

The truth is Sony is doing every cheap trick it can to steal thunder from microsoft. (not that i am overwealmed by microsoft either...)
Old 2005-05-19, 22:45
Little Bastard Warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
Oh, and dont believe Sonys hyperbole.
They have great specs, but what they actualy say (2 terraflops) is fantasy land.
(allthough perhapes not as fantasy as some microsoft guy saying he hopes to sale it to a billion people )
Miyamoto before the GC came out: It will last for ten years!

I suppose he had a little to high thoughts...
Old 2005-05-19, 23:40
Classic

He said 7 actualy.
A bad bit of future forcasting, sure, but not a lie or a miss-representation, at least I personaly think they geniuely believed at the time it would last 7 years.

Its not that hard to believe actualy, the current "generation" has been suppriseingly short.

The next one gets interesting of course...we will have a quantom leap in power, but then what? I dont think the Xbox1028 and the PS4 will be able to sale on "power" do you?
Old 2005-05-20, 00:24
thegnarlypanda

Send a message via AIM to hobmoblin
Quote:
*part* of it was in game, but most was FMV.

Thats the thing I hate, everyone should have to label stuff as either FMV or Realtime, imo ;-/

err...No.
The Xbox and Gamecube both launched at very reasonable sub-£150 prices.
Gamecube was going to be £150, Xbox was going to be £170
But they kinda tried undercuting eachover before launch, and thus we got very a very reasonble price of £130

Sony wont launch at a stupid price, thanks to Nintendo and Microsoft consoles simple cant cost that much any more.
The PSP couldnt launch at its predicted price, sony saw that no amount of hype could sale something expensive that is fundimentaly not needed. Not when theres compeditors with cheap alternatives.

If anything, the expensive prices will last a few months at most.

====
DS News:
Viewfull Joe DS sounds excelent:

Sorry, but thats one of the coolest play mechcanics I have ever heard off O_o
Are you saying the Xbox was 130 quid at launch? Either I was conned or your wrong, I'm pretty sure it was around 300 quid.
Old 2005-05-20, 01:09
Still in a dream...

XBOX was definately not £130 at launch.

I'm not impressed by the Revolution, in any case. So far the 360 and PS3 have my attention. Ofcourse, I'll be waiting until they are all released with more than the launch titles before making my decision.
Old 2005-05-20, 02:42
Classic

£130 was what the gamecube was,not the Xbox. (Xbox came out first I remember...just)

The Xbox stated at £300, but dropped almost straight away to £199 (a month I believe). They changed their minds at many stages in the process, it was hard to keep up.
A few months after that it was level with the Gamecube at £130

I just dont see anyone getting anyway with a high price for too long, not in this highly compeditive atmosphere.
The last thing any console developer wants is for their hardcore players to buy the oppersitions consoles on a whim due to their own high price, and then find they actualy like the games on the oppisition.

Nintendo & Sony has an added problem;
By the time their machines are out, developers would be *really* getting to grips with the Xbox360 hardware. Second Gen xbox games are likely to be more impressive then first gen PS3 games, imo.
Old 2005-05-20, 11:11
thegnarlypanda

Quote:
£130 was what the gamecube was,not the Xbox. (Xbox came out first I remember...just)

The Xbox stated at £300, but dropped almost straight away to £199 (a month I believe). They changed their minds at many stages in the process, it was hard to keep up.
2 months I think, not that it matters but microsoft sent me loads of xbox freebies for buying it on release.
Old 2005-05-20, 11:22
formerly just angry

OK OK - my anger and disappointment has subsided somewhat and now I am beginning to believe that Revolution truely will not be competing in the same race as Xbox 360 and PS3. Opening up the way for small developers and widening the scope of what is termed a game means that Nintendo will hopefully put some fun back into gaming. Over the last year I have bought 7 games which I have not completed for GC. Now I can barely pick up a controller without getting bored in 15 mins and thinking "seen it all before". The industry really does need a shake up. Sure PS3 was impressive on a tech front but not a single one of the games coming out excites me in any way shape or form...It is just a case of same old same old with better graphics. What we really need is more boundary pushing games like Electroplankton, Nintendogs wich push new frontiers...or maybe more genre defying games like Beyond Good and Evil, LBA etc... I look forward to Nintendo's Revolution in good time... I just hope that my Revolution really proves to be the Revolution.
Old 2005-05-20, 13:45
formerly just angry

http://cube.ign.com/articles/617/617195p1.html

A hands-on experience and not much to show for it...Does explain where some of the ports etc are tho
Old 2005-05-20, 14:12
thegnarlypanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_angry_
OK OK - my anger and disappointment has subsided somewhat and now I am beginning to believe that Revolution truely will not be competing in the same race as Xbox 360 and PS3. Opening up the way for small developers and widening the scope of what is termed a game means that Nintendo will hopefully put some fun back into gaming. Over the last year I have bought 7 games which I have not completed for GC. Now I can barely pick up a controller without getting bored in 15 mins and thinking "seen it all before". The industry really does need a shake up. Sure PS3 was impressive on a tech front but not a single one of the games coming out excites me in any way shape or form...It is just a case of same old same old with better graphics. What we really need is more boundary pushing games like Electroplankton, Nintendogs wich push new frontiers...or maybe more genre defying games like Beyond Good and Evil, LBA etc... I look forward to Nintendo's Revolution in good time... I just hope that my Revolution really proves to be the Revolution.
Yeah I agree. Watching the Ninty press conference has made me start looking into the best place to get a DS from (best as in cheapest). I really like the look of Nintendogs and I really want Animal Crossing DS. I started watching the Sony press conference but got pissed off at the lies, "With PS2 we made the first console to be backwards compatable" while that may be true if its referring to home consoles (probably is) but what about the GBC? And also the fact that the only thing they showed was FMV unlike the Xbox.
Old 2005-05-20, 14:34
Magic Ball Master

I don't think Sony would take a hit if it kept the price relatively lower. Even if they released it at say $300, they would still sell a massive about of consoles (already having the market share) so that they would recoup any losses they have by discounting the console's price.
Old 2005-05-20, 15:17
Classic

The PS2 sold quite slowly in its first year remember. (hurting a lot of PS1 developers that switched to early).
It really picked up more in its 2nd year.

Quote:
With PS2 we made the first console to be backwards compatable" while that may be true if its referring to home consoles (probably is) but what about the GBC?
Not to mention my Commadore Plus 4 could play Commadore 16 games

Angry + Hob ~ Yes, I agree with need more divisty. One method is by opening up and letting more people make games.
The second is with new controll methods.

A good example of which is the new Viewfull Joe DS game...while some people critised the DS for not having anything to prove its originality, they seem to be comeing it a lot now. (Yoshi,Kirby, PacPik, and now Viewfull Joe...all fundimentaly cant be done the same without touchscreen).

Any controll method adds new possibilitys; Jungle Beat is suppriseing fun because the controlls are so mad. Very counter-intuative.

I suspect the Revolution will have something, like the touchscreen, that dosnt seem to make sense at first untill its played.
And that might be why Nintendo didnt want to show it at all...if its not playable people might dissmiss it to soon.
Old 2005-05-20, 19:22
Classic

New Info On Spore:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/617/617441p3.html

Dispite being a hardcore Zelda nut, this does seem to be the most amazing game of E3 O_o

And, purhapes not suppriseingly, the amazing-ness of it comes from its mind-blowing creativity rather then any graphics of technicalitys.

I cant recomended reading that artical enough.
Old 2005-05-20, 20:11
Look beyond reality.

That's so true!
I've been on spore just when you posted that artical a few months ago (well, to be honest I saw that artical a few days before that, but that doesn't matter), and I must say it's indeed very well thought out.

But I do see some drawen images of the creatures in the left corner of the game, so does that mean you can't really 100% make your own creatures?
Old 2005-05-20, 21:12
Classic

The drawn images dont really match your creatures though...maybe you 100% design them but pick a drawing at some stage? (like avatars in RPGs dont nesscerly match your charecter that well).
Old 2005-05-21, 12:27
formerly just angry

Visited the spore website and it was fairly cool - will wait for more details of gameplay though.

On the Revolution front - as Nintendo have put in GC controller ports - this suggests that the new Rev controllers will be so different that they would not work with GC and N64 games....how exciting... I also think that the whole download back catalogue will be a great draw for all those 80s Ninty fans who now have kids of their own - they best make sure the prices are <£10 though...especially as you won't get a manual etc. How many N64 games would fit on a 512MB card? Also Cube Europe have noted that Iwata suggested games could be given away as incentives...could this be the overhaul of the Stars catalogue we've all wanted for so long? I hope so!!!
Old 2005-05-21, 14:40
Classic

Yes! I just thought...the stays catalogue would actualy be usefull

On the downloading front:
You dont have to down the games and keep them, you effective store the *the right to download again in future*
So 512MB gives you easily enough for plenty of games in a caché, but you can get rid of some whenever you like because you still have bought the right to down them again in the future

And thats ignoreing online storage, if Google can give me 2500MB email, I am sure Nintendo can give me space for a few things. (for the DS its already been confirmed users will have at least some space...what for? )

Another thought I had:

Uploading NES and SNES games wirelessly to the DS
(connection was already confirmed, with strong hints that Animal Crossing would use it)
N64 games wont be possible. Allthough the DS is mostly more powerfull then the N64, its not good enough to emulate it.

As for the pads, well, I am not sure the revolution pad will be that different, but I am now pretty sure they will knock some of the old digital buttons...Nintendo isnt a company to keep sticking bits on, they will remove some too I think.
And without them old games would be tricky to do.
Old 2005-05-21, 20:33
Classic

Something overlooked in E3: The Gizmondo.

Specificaly, the worlds first Augmented Reality game.

Quote:
A cool technology demo that we saw went by the name of Aguju. Using the device's gyroscope functionality, the demo was a walk through a 3D maze, but instead of controlling the direction via the Gizmondo's control pad, turning and twisting the device change the facing. At the end of the maze, the surroundings faded into video from the camera, making it appear as if the virtual world blended into the real world. It was pretty neat.
~http://gear.ign.com/articles/617/617998p1.html

The interesting thing is IGN have got it wrong; The Gizmondo does not have any gyroscopic functions, it works out the angle of the device purely from its camera.
(some of you may remember the demo of simerlar stuff in the high-tech-thread.)

Even in this crude early form, I am so happy to see the first AR game
It may take another decade, but its comeing.
I congradulate Gizmondo's and the game developers team, they are like a first pebble signifying the landslide to come ^_^
Old 2005-05-22, 20:45
Little Bastard Warrior.

Okay, didn't wanna make a nintendo thread: What do you guys think the rev part of the NR controller will be? My guess is that we can at least compare it to controller a game like Mario 64 with an analogue stick VS d-pad. So:
D-pad ---> Analogue Stick ---> REVOLUTION.
So, I think the revolution is mostly in the left part of the controller. Now that doesn't seem much like a revolution? Jeez, have you ever tried playing a 3D platformer with the D-pad (PS1 hint hint). It sucks.

Oh, and seeing as Nintendo makes the best controllers with the best fit, I think we can combine this with the great look of the console itself, and we will get a revolutionary controller the looks totally awesome and fits perfectly.
Old 2005-05-23, 13:02
thegnarlypanda

Trackball instead of analogue stick I reckon, not sure about what else will be on it though.
Old 2005-05-23, 14:47
Classic

Nah, trackball has been done on a few controllers.

I think gyroscopes are still the favorate.

The most likely Rev pad would be, imo, Analogue stick (variable pressable), Gyroscopic detection of angle on the controller and maybe two buttons.

I think we will se a *huge* reduction in digital buttons. Partly to save space on the pad, but purhapes partly because games shouldnt need that many. Not if they have more inteligent interfaces..which seems to be what Nintendo is encourageing.

I mean really, A B X Y Z up, down, left and right. Do we really need that many? Nintendos not only trying to introduce some new technology, but also to make it easier for newcomers. So a reduction would help.

Also another point...I dont think the revolution is one amazing thing, I think its likely to be a mer combination of "neat" features.
We know one; Downloadable games.
We know another minor one; That darn slot can take both size's of discs.
We know the controller will have another one.

Tags
games, videogames