Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2005-06-23, 15:26
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Its one thing to stop importers...

....but this is extream:
http://forums.ebay.co.uk/thread.jspa...=1119510954089

Now, seeing as I am obviously one of the most bias people against Sony, I'll let this speak for itself
Old 2005-06-23, 16:26
formerly just angry

I fucking hate Sony sometimes. Have you read all the stuff over at Eurogamer? Just cos they can't get their asses in gear to release on time in Europe they expect Europeans just to wait around until fricking September!
Old 2005-06-23, 18:32
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
What was worse, they arnt just releaseing late, but they told all the shops they were releaseing a few months back
(originaly it was the same time as the DS, they even advertised a date for awhile).

Seriously, Sony are pissing off the british retail.
Old 2005-06-23, 18:45
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
They don't want people to violate their copyrights?

How UNUSUAL and EVIL!

Sony is truly the devil's messenger.
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2005-06-23, 19:58

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Actually, I think the Devil worships them.

http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=33
Old 2005-06-24, 05:57
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin

How UNUSUAL and EVIL!

Ah yes, someone else who is tired of the Nintendo fanboysism.
Old 2005-06-24, 10:38
Little Bastard Warrior.

I don't think that it's about that. It's simply about companies releasing their products too late in Europe especially. I mean god dammit, we have to wait like 3 or 4 months before we got MGS3 and Resident Evil 4. But this, this is even worse. It has nothing to with copyrights, they just want prevent people from getting the machine, so they can create more hype.
Old 2005-06-24, 10:55
formerly just angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin

How UNUSUAL and EVIL!

If they'd got their asses in gear then there would have been no problems! GAME have been trying to coerce me into buying PSP for months now! It's a simple case of Sony not regarding the Euro market as important.

Quote:
On the topic of the late launches, Reeves was unrepentant - saying that despite the constant criticism of the company, which will launch PSP in Europe in September nine months after the Japanese launch, in fact, "we like this - we don't want to go first."

He argued that the delay to launching the hardware in Europe meant that more of the bugs and issues could be ironed out, thus heavily reducing the company's return rate.

"Consequently, we have a very, very low return rate," he commented, "less than 2 per cent."

He also pointed out that late launches improve the selection of software available at launch, and claimed that the PSP will have "30 titles, and maybe 25 movies" when it arrives in this territory
The fact is that they just don't care - this is tantamount to saying...well we could have released on time - but we didn't - so rather than allow imports for the next few months - we're going to ban them, and you will buy the PSP anyway becuse its Sony and we are your gods. All that bullshit about ironing out bugs is crap - or did they release unfished versions in Japan and the US nearly a year ago?!?

Double J - I'd be just as pissed off if Nintendo did this. And doubly pissed off if they were this arrogant about it all
Old 2005-06-24, 11:02
thegnarlypanda

Send a message via AIM to hobmoblin
I read somewhere that they were having problems with the copyright for the UMD in europe. I can't remember where I read it though but apparently that is why it is late.
Old 2005-06-24, 13:23
Little Bastard Warrior.

Quote:
"Consequently, we have a very, very low return rate," he commented, "less than 2 per cent."
Might be because you can't return the products, even if there's something wrong with it, because they don't regard stuff like those pixel errors as something that you can return.
Old 2005-06-24, 13:41
formerly just angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberg-Ares
Might be because you can't return the products, even if there's something wrong with it, because they don't regard stuff like those pixel errors as something that you can return.
Funny - that's exactly what I said XD

The problem with Sony's copyright for their trademark is apparantly some gay dispute with AMD. AMD say that UMD is too close - depite the fact that they're nothing alike and are completely different products...retards
Old 2005-06-24, 15:22
Magic Ball Master

Argh, fishcakes. There goes my plan to buy 10 PSPs when I'm in Hong Kong and put them all on ebay.

Oh well, I'll just have to think of some other scam.
Old 2005-06-24, 15:57
Little Bastard Warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_angry_monkey
I thought so! I could remember somebody saying something like that, but I couldn't remember who!
Old 2005-06-24, 16:27
formerly just angry

lol - I think I mentioned it over at Eurogamer
Old 2005-06-24, 17:02
Classic

You can replace it if its got more then 3 pixals wrong I think.
Dosnt mater though, 2% returns is actualy huge.
They must have something really weird with their production methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J
Quote:

How UNUSUAL and EVIL!

Ah yes, someone else who is tired of the Nintendo fanboysism.
Did either you even read the god darnt thing?

Its not a copywrite issue.

They use it mearly as an excuse to stop any form of PSP saleing...import sites, ebay ect...they are stopping it all.
Bought a PSP and want to sale it ? tough shit, you cant.
Sick of waiting and want to import a PSP (for around half the price it will be here?) tough shit, you cant.

This isnt Sony protect their copywrites, this is them ensureing they can charge what they like when its out in europe.
I cant remember any other company stoping their products being sold on ebay.

The copywrite is just a lame excuse, because they know the law dosnt side with them if they tried to do it directly.

Therefor, you can get away with saleing a PSP...as long as you dont use the words "PSP", "Sony","Playstation" or a image of the device anywhere in your discription

But then, who will find it?
Old 2005-06-24, 17:17
Magic Ball Master

I really could care less. Sony wants to protect itself, that's fine with me. They are perfectly within the law.

The resale of PSP? So what? I mean, Nintendo is pretty much screwing those who bought the GBA > GBA SP > DS, so I really could give two shits about Nintendo. I love their games, but I'm not buying their new console until I see some really good exclusives. And I certainly won't buy any portables.
Old 2005-06-24, 17:34
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_angry_monkey

The problem with Sony's copyright for their trademark is apparantly some gay dispute with AMD. AMD say that UMD is too close - depite the fact that they're nothing alike and are completely different products...retards
Reminds me of Microsoft sued a make of underwear once that shared its name
Old 2005-06-24, 17:56
Classic

Quote:
I really could care less. Sony wants to protect itself, that's fine with me. They are perfectly within the law.

The resale of PSP? So what? I mean, Nintendo is pretty much screwing those who bought the GBA > GBA SP > DS, so I really could give two shits about Nintendo. .
wtf.
They arnt withen the law in the slightest.
You honestly think its withen their right to stop people saleing their PSPs second hand O_O
Holy shit.

Quote:
Should the legal action prove successful, those who have paid around £200 each to buy imported PSPs could find themselves empty-handed. A copy of the writ, seen by the Guardian, demands that details of the British purchasers are handed over by the importing companies.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/sto...512591,00.html

Oh, and your "comparison" isnt even worthy of comment.
Old 2005-06-24, 20:37
Little Bastard Warrior.

Quote:

The resale of PSP? So what? I mean, Nintendo is pretty much screwing those who bought the GBA > GBA SP > DS, so I really could give two shits about Nintendo. I love their games, but I'm not buying their new console until I see some really good exclusives. And I certainly won't buy any portables.
I don't really understand that GBA, SP, DS thingy? Mind explaining?
Old 2005-06-25, 22:32
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame

Oh, and your "comparison" isnt even worthy of comment.
Neither is your ever present fanboyism and anti-Sonyism. No matter what, Sony buying MGM, sony making a PSP to compete with Nintendo's DS, Sony making a new console v. Revolution, Nintendo is always the only ones in your opinion who are doing something worthwhile, for the customer, and not just being greedy capitalists. Nintendo is really originating! Newsflash - they are all trying to make money and protect their profits, no ones making you buy their products.

Sony wants to prevent the importing of their PSP's. While I don't think the importing is wrong, they certainly have the right to discriminate where and when the transaction is made, and who it is to. I could walk into a store, and if they didn't want to sell me something, that is perfectly within their rights. They don't have to sell me anything, they can deny their service to me for whatever reason. If a 3rd party does it, I suppose they would be going too far, but nonetheless, it's the same as buying a bunch of tickets to a sports game, and then selling them at higher prices before the event (scalping) which is illegal.

Quote:
I don't really understand that GBA, SP, DS thingy? Mind explaining?
Just that they were released in such a relatively close time frame, it pissed me off because I bought an original GBA, which was then bettered by the SP with built in light, basically screwing anyone who bought the old one, and now the DS is out, rendering the GBA's irrelevant in about a year once all the GBA franchises switch to DS production. Also, I dislike how nintendo is being "original" (greedy) and re-releasing their old games for download on the Revolution, or on the flash card readers, or GBA platforms, all for renewed profit. God bless emulation.
Old 2005-06-25, 23:00
Little Bastard Warrior.

Quote:
Sony wants to prevent the importing of their PSP's. While I don't think the importing is wrong, they certainly have the right to discriminate where and when the transaction is made, and who it is to. I could walk into a store, and if they didn't want to sell me something, that is perfectly within their rights. They don't have to sell me anything, they can deny their service to me for whatever reason. If a 3rd party does it, I suppose they would be going too far, but nonetheless, it's the same as buying a bunch of tickets to a sports game, and then selling them at higher prices before the event (scalping) which is illegal.
I know you can't understand this, but in europe, we have release dates later than in the US. That can piss us europeans of, quite a lot. To us, it's like someone going into a store, and being told "No we don't sell to you, 'cause you're european". I know that's not how it really is, but it bloody hell feels like it, and that sure as hell makes Sony the Evil Satan company they are.

Quote:
Just that they were released in such a relatively close time frame, it pissed me off because I bought an original GBA, which was then bettered by the SP with built in light, basically screwing anyone who bought the old one, and now the DS is out, rendering the GBA's irrelevant in about a year once all the GBA franchises switch to DS production. Also, I dislike how nintendo is being "original" (greedy) and re-releasing their old games for download on the Revolution, or on the flash card readers, or GBA platforms, all for renewed profit. God bless emulation.
Not fair. The GBA would have been to expensive to release at the time it was released, if it had included the extra stuff the SP did. But you're also wrong, 'cause the new games still worked if it was released after the SP, so you really have nothing to complain about. I bought the GBA the day it was released and you don't see me complaining. The DS was inevitable. If they hadn't made it, the PSP would have taken over the whole market because it's "stylish" and "powerful". You can't honestly expect a company to just sit back while a competition takes over their most selling market? But the GBA market won't be abandoned just yet, 'cause Nintendo is also making a new GBA, kinda like the PSTWO Silver. Now, you don't hear people complaining about that, even through the PS3 is around the corner.

Double-J, one last thing, go through DFs old posts. His arguements are always valid. Fanboy or not, doesn't matter when you're right or have something totally opinion based, that is stated so, because such can not be argue against.
Old 2005-06-25, 23:09
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Double-J, one last thing, go through DFs old posts. His arguements are always valid. Fanboy or not, doesn't matter when you're right or have something totally opinion based, that is stated so, because such can not be argue against.
Of course I can. I can disagree.
Old 2005-06-25, 23:17
Little Bastard Warrior.

Quote:
Of course I can. I can disagree.
But that's not neccesarily argueing. Havn't you ever watched that Monty Python sketch?
Old 2005-06-25, 23:24
Classic

JJ ~ Sorry, but its not "fanboyism" to point out what companys are doing. If Nintendo was doing this and I didnt point it out, or tried to justify it then that would be fanboyism.

What you cant seem to understand is this isnt twists or destortions by me to make more people dislike sony. I dislike sony BECAUSE they try to do this stuff.

Thats the order. I dislike them because of this stuff. Not I point this stuff out because I dislike them.

And your comments are downrighting insulting.:
eg.
"Newsflash - they are all trying to make money and protect their profits, no ones making you buy their products."

Heres something you might not know: Everyone on the planet knows this allready. In fact, you surely know that everyone knows this..so your either using it as "filler"..a cliché point to make. OR your trying to annoy/insult me on purpose.

Its HOW a company chose's to make money thats the issue. Thats what seperates them out.

And it is something I have said about a million times before.
This time I have highlighted it...hope this helps you. ;~)

If you got a legitmate agument, please, put it forward. (eg, "Actualy, Nintendo are also shutting down sites.." or "Sony is being forced to do this because...")

But stop with this nonsense.
This isnt Sony choseing not to sale something.

This is sony stoping people saleing stuff too eachother.

This is Sony demanding the names and address's of indivial people that bought PSP's. (thank god they wont win that case, but the point they are trying too is digusting, imo)

Quote:
I know you can't understand this, but in europe, we have release dates later than in the US. That can piss us europeans of, quite a lot. To us, it's like someone going into a store, and being told "No we don't sell to you, 'cause you're european". I know that's not how it really is, but it bloody hell feels like it, and that sure as hell makes Sony the Evil Satan company they are.
Not to mention, the PSP is set to cost £180 here
It costs around half that elsewhere in the world. (and obviously, second hand on ebay would be cheaper still).

This is price-fixing, basicaly.

If they were to release the PSP here for a reasonable price, then on one would even consider importing.

oh, and the DS is also cheaper elsewhere, but by a much smaller margin.
(Put it this way in japan, the DS and PSP are almost the same price).
And the DS is still easy to import anyway.

If Nintendo stoped me importing DS games I would be bloodly furious.
All my games I have imported:
Its Cheaper and Faster, so why shouldnt I ?

The games here are no better quality the other regions, so I dont see why I shouldnt import. (of course, I understand both for Nintendo and Sony, the Europe, and particaly UK retail take a much higher cut then elsewhere in the world...but the point is, they get the money for the games, so why should it mater where its sold? why should it be "wrong" to import it yourself VS them importing it? The only thing they are loseing is the price difference..and that shouldnt exist anyway!)

Quote:
But the GBA market won't be abandoned just yet, 'cause Nintendo is also making a new GBA, kinda like the PSTWO Silver.
...Or the MegaDrive1 / 2

Quote:
Just that they were released in such a relatively close time frame, it pissed me off because I bought an original GBA, which was then bettered by the SP with built in light, basically screwing anyone who bought the old one,
Technology gets cheaper.
New tech gets released.
Isnt what your saying much like a PC owner going:

"oww...my graphic card is useless now that a new one is out! Why did NVidia do that!"

If the SP replaced the GBA software, then you would have a right to be bloodly furious.
But it didnt.

And with the GBA Micro comeing out, and shitloads of GBA games still planned you have no reason to be upset at all. (WarioWare Twisted being out soon/just out and being bloody brillent)
Nintendo isnt cutting off the GBA's life for at least another year. Probably a bit more.

In fact, they seem to be pushing to keep the GBA games going for an artificaily long time in the face of the PSP.

...but you probably think the "GBAMicro" is another cash-in (that makes the SP useless, of course), and ignore the fact its going to keep GBA software for your old machine rolling in for a bit longer.

Oh, and I think you know it was the PSP that forced Nintendo to release the DS, not visa-versa.

(unless Sony somehow knew about the DS long before Nintendo told the public)

But regardless of all that, I dont see any connection between Nintendo maybe releaseing upgrades too soon, and Sony stoping people saleing stuff second hand
You can sale your GBA if you dont like it.
I can sale my DS is If I get fed up with it.
If you had a PSP, and sony gets its way, you will be forced to keep it.

Quote:
God bless emulation
I hope your only emulateing games you paided for at some time, in some form.
Not just blindly thinking "Its old, therefor it should be free".

Incidently:

Flash Card readers
Nintendo hasnt released anything on flash card readers

Quote:
Neither is your ever present fanboyism and anti-Sonyism. No matter what.......sony making a PSP to compete with Nintendo's DS, Sony making a new console v. Revolution
*We have entered the realm of "fictional darkflame quotes"*

Last edited by Darkflame; 2005-06-26 at 00:00.
Old 2005-06-25, 23:50
Little Bastard Warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
I assume you've seen it. But of course, it must be sorta like a national law in the UK to have seen everything Monty Python related.

Anyway, maybe you can correct me if I'm wrong, but concerning many of the big prices that come when a game or system is released in europe, as far I know, it isn't the publisher themselfs that make the prices so high, it's something to do with the law. I think in Denmark there is a law, that puts extra money on cartridge based games, resulting in GBA, GB and N64 games costing ridicously much (a GBA game costs more than a totally new PC game). And N64 games costed 700 danish kr. (try converting that to your currency, I think your dropping jaw will shatter the floor).

Anyway, my point is, I don't think we really blame Sony and Nintendo and Microsoft for the high prices. Well, at least not always.