Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

View Poll Results: Do you own a smartphone?
Yes, an Android one 21 53.85%
Yes, an iPhone 6 15.38%
Yes, something else 2 5.13%
I don't own a smartphone 10 25.64%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-06-26, 23:28
Magic Ball Master

Do you own a smartphone?

Inspired by the discussion of the LBA1 remake/port to smartphones, how about a little poll?

Personally, I don't have a smartphone.
Old 2013-06-27, 00:04
Magic Ball Master

I do have an Android one but I hardly use it because I can use skype to talk with all my friends and grooveshark for music...
Old 2013-06-27, 00:09
Panta rei

I stay away from smartphones. I find them an unecessary risk regarding theft and damage. They also are such a distractiom and battery lasts for hours.

I'd choose my crappy, beaten, indestructible nokia over anything.

My battery lasts a week
Old 2013-06-27, 02:13
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
I have a Galaxy W. It's basically one of the cheapest android smartphone out there that isn't totally a piece of crap. Thanks to costum mods it can be upgraded to Android 4.1, and it goes way faster now. If it was for samsung it would still be on 2.6... and it would be totally useless. I was about to sell it, before trying a costum mod.
I'd never buy anything more expansive, like an SIII or a SIV, unless some years pass and the price goes down.

It's true those mobile phones battery hardly make a day at normal use, but with some tweaking and little use I even got mine to last for 36 hours.

I find mobile phones quite useful actually. Sometimes when I was away from home I needed the internet to get some info online, or indications to get to a place, or even a phone number. Strangely enough, I don't use it to play that much. Even if I'm a gamer, I don't like the kind of games those mobiles have... just a few exceptions.
Old 2013-06-27, 02:33
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx View Post
i stay away from smartphones. I find them an unecessary risk regarding theft and damage. They also are such a distractiom and battery lasts for hours.

My battery lasts a week
^ THIIIIIIIIIIIIiiisSSSSSSSSSS.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2013-06-27, 02:49
You Only Live Twice

Send a message via AIM to Twinsan Send a message via MSN to Twinsan
I find them a nessarily risk for my day to day functions, laptops come and go and the worst thing that happened to my iPhone was a scratch from a £2 coin
Old 2013-06-27, 03:41
Magic Ball Master

Wait, you guys have a £2 coin on europe? lol
Old 2013-06-27, 03:45
New efforts! :)

In Argentina there's also a $2 coin.

I don't have a smartphone, I find them useful for activities on the go and to access internet on the outside.

Take a look at the blog!

LBA:LID Demo v1.0 HERE
Report bugs here! Thanks Alexfont!
----------------------------------------
Take a look at Vindish's mod!
Old 2013-06-27, 03:49
Magic Ball Master

Ah I see...We have coins for only $1 and lower values here in Brazil

Wait, so you don't have a smartphone but you think they are usefull? Why don't you buy one then?
Old 2013-06-27, 04:10
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosmapf View Post
I do have an Android one but I hardly use it because I can use skype to talk with all my friends and grooveshark for music...
You do realize cellphones are meant for when you go OUTSIDE and you're far from the computer, right?

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2013-06-27, 11:40
Hello

I have an old Nokia with Symbian(and it's too old to even get the latest version of Symbian), so technically a smartphone...but not really.

Either way, it does what I need it to do, and it's practically indestructible.
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  cout<<"Regards,\nDino-Fly\n";
 cin.get();
}
Old 2013-06-27, 11:55
Previously Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
I stay away from smartphones. I find them an unecessary risk regarding theft and damage. They also are such a distractiom and battery lasts for hours.

My battery lasts a week
I used to feel this way about smartphones, not to mention other reasons that made me disregard them (ecological and the likes).

Then I decided to give them a try with the cheapest android I could find. This was not a very convincing experience. I liked toying around programming for it though.

Then, while still being rather hostile to smartphones in general, I bought an iPhone. The reason for this was one single app that I use all the time to study/practice Chinese handwriting, and which exists only on iOS. The app is just fantastic, and if it were only for it, it'd consider it was a worthy investment.

Then I must say I came to really appreciate my iPhone. It does its job as a phone pretty well (with convenient features like visual voice mail, good contacts organization, fast input for text messages...), the format is right, doesn't feel more cumbersome than regular phones.

But the most important is that it's actually useful in a variety of ways. The most important for me being to have reference material for everything always at my hand:
* several monolingual and bilingual dictionary apps (not the crappy cheap ones, professional ones with rich definitions).
* the Internet (Google + Wikipedia on the go = often very useful).
* other educational apps (mainly language-related in my case, but also things like a world atlas)
* orientations (map with GPS = often makes your life much easier, and it's actually fun, paris metro app = very convenient to move around, bike map with counts of available bikes in the stations near me)
* quality camera to take pictures and videos anytime, without the need to always carry around an actual camera. It allows me to take real life pictures, which I would never do if not for it.
* Communication apps, Facebook, QQ, mail, tapatalk (for the MBN) which I can use on the go, during the idle/boring moments of my days, thus saving much time to do other stuff when I'm home. Actually I'm posting this from my iPhone, and I think I'd never have done so if I only had a PC to browse the forum.
* many other stuff that I do use regularly like books, comics, weather, banking, some games, calendar, reminders, mood tracking, goal tracking, sportive activity tracking, karaoke.......

In short, it really does a lot for me. If I'm to live a urban life instead of being a secluded hermit, it's a very useful tool that I wouldn't like to be taken from me.
Old 2013-06-27, 12:04
Previously Link

As for thieves: I'm prepared for that risk, it doesn't scare me, nor bothers me, I think I'm careful enough with it, to not give much of a chance for someone to rip it off me, and then I'm prepared to defend myself in case that happens. I cannot allow myself to let fear drive my decisions.
As for the battery: I have a workaround to prevent this issue from bothering me: a second charger in my office. I never ran out of battery so far. I hope they fix this issue someday soon though.
Old 2013-06-27, 12:35
Magic Ball Master

Have also an iPhone for awhile and don't know if I will switch to others smartphones. Use all of them for development and iPhone has my favorite interface. iOS7 will be a great step forward on the interface for future buyers.

As related to LBA I do also think iPhone/iPad will be the best smartphone to sell such remake. As I've been notice around me, everyone who has an android phone don't buy anything, they just couldn't pay a single penny for a damn app, so I think LBA will fail on it on sails. Its really important to have a game demo so everyone could try the game before they buy it. There are more sells from trials than directly pay the app.

Strangely and really don't know why, they are not targeting the game for Metro. That's a big mistake. Windows devices are starting to sell a lot, windows OS have the majority of selling computers around the world. That's probably a good question to ask Fred, why only iOS and Android and not WinRT.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2013-06-27, 18:01
Polly parrot

We have a tablet that is mainly used by my father, but no smartphone...
Old 2013-06-27, 18:42
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
You do realize cellphones are meant for when you go OUTSIDE and you're far from the computer, right?
I do , but I don't like to use it on the street because criminality is realy high in my city, and I am realy small, so the chances I'm robbed are realy high

The only times I use my cellphone are when I'm at a friend's house or somewhere closed and I need to talk to someone
Old 2013-06-27, 19:28
ffffff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post

My battery lasts a week
the most hipster of posts
[21:53] <OBattler> i just don´t believe in behaving like either an animal
[21:53] <OBattler> or like adolf hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
Opinions are like testicles, everyone has theirs - Those are my opinions and I have no fear to show them to you.
Quote:
but that's what it is, the troll is a rapist
a soul rapist

- Link, 2013
*~ Anakin ~ Mia ~ Rex_Hollywood ~ Jesse ~ Jasiek ~ Kitarii ~ Twinsan ~ BFFs 4 lYfE ~*
Old 2013-06-27, 19:45
New efforts! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosmapf View Post
Ah I see...We have coins for only $1 and lower values here in Brazil

Wait, so you don't have a smartphone but you think they are usefull? Why don't you buy one then?
Did you consider the variable money?

Take a look at the blog!

LBA:LID Demo v1.0 HERE
Report bugs here! Thanks Alexfont!
----------------------------------------
Take a look at Vindish's mod!
Old 2013-06-27, 19:51
ffffff

wtf who is neckdilzor

Quote:
Opinions are like testicles, everyone has theirs - Those are my opinions and I have no fear to show them to you.
Quote:
a soul rapist

- Link, 2013
*~ Anakin ~ Mia ~ Rex_Hollywood ~ Jesse ~ Jasiek ~ Kitarii ~ Twinsan ~ BFFs 4 lYfE ~*
Old 2013-06-27, 23:14
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necdilzor View Post
Did you consider the variable money?
Buy a crappy one... it doesn't have to be good ¬¬". Its at least better than having none, as even the worse smartphone can access the internet and stuff like.
Old 2013-06-28, 00:42
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Smartphones are good as small PCs and pseudo-Tricorders. You can then have a nokia (or whatever) as well for the longlife.

Quote:
As I've been notice around me, everyone who has an android phone don't buy anything, they just couldn't pay a single penny for a damn app, so I think LBA will fail on it on sails.
Theres some contradictory evidence from the Android humble bundles - the % money from Android users is decent, second only to Linux from what I remember.

Given a choice though, add-supported stuff outsales in most cases, however.

Not that I play games on the phone at all. 9/10 times its just a crappy interface and shape for it. Very few genres work well, and those that do typically are uncatered too in the market places.

Also Netbooks are hugely underrated, if traveling on a train or plane they are the best Internet/Watching stuff device imho.
Old 2013-06-28, 21:08
ffffff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Also Netbooks are hugely underrated, if traveling on a train or plane they are the best Internet/Watching stuff device imho.
how? i mean i loved my eee pc (RIP alae) but how is it any better than a tablet for that? if anything they're cumbersome with a large battery and have a superfluous keyboard that isn't required for either of those tasks.

Quote:
Quote:
a soul rapist

- Link, 2013
Old 2013-06-29, 00:17
Magic Ball Master

I rather have a tablet for watching movies and videos than a netbook...
Old 2013-06-29, 00:20
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_LIPSTICK View Post
how? i mean i loved my eee pc (RIP alae) but how is it any better than a tablet for that? if anything they're cumbersome with a large battery and have a superfluous keyboard that isn't required for either of those tasks.
My Samsung is thicker, but not really wider or broader then a iPAD...thus is fits in basically the same bags.

The advantage of the keyboard is you can sit it upright without a stand.
The advantage of it being a x86 chip is it runs Windows 7 and Linux just fine...giving a lot more options for video download/playback and other software.

Battery wise it gave about 7 hours when new and using Ubuntu (Windows about 5 hours). These days I get about 4 hours from it, but its a few years old now so thats really pretty good.
Old 2013-06-29, 01:40
the legend

Next poll thread: netbooks vs tablets...

(PS: "I don't own a smartphone" IS WINNING. WOOHOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo! )