Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2008-06-20, 02:56
Little Bastard Warrior.

Soul Bubbles (DS) Review

I may sound a little... simple, when I say this, but if the greatness of a game is based on how fun it is, then Super Mario Galaxy (SMG) is the greatest game ever, and probably will be until the sequel appears.

And the only reason why Soul Bubbles doesn't snatch that title away from SMG, is that SMG is so massive. It simply contains more fun than Soul Bubbles. But even with the sheer size of SMG, Soul Bubbles still comes damn close. There are several reasons but an introduction is always in order!

Soul Bubbles is the brainchild of Mekensleep, a French studio consisting of various experienced individuals from all over the media business.

Essentially, the story is that you are a herder of bubbles containing spirits, and you must keep them safe. Soul Bubbles is about blowing bubbles around 2D labyrinths, by sliding the stylus across them. That's the core mechanic. You can manipulate the bubble by dividing it, shrinking it, or blowing new bubbles and then adding them to you own.

This is massively entertaining and not just a neat idea. It works insultingly well at all times and looks fantastic. But it would probably grow a little dull rather quickly, if Mekensleep hadn't added small gimmicks to each of the 8 different settings of the game.
They're all different spins on bubble manipulation and make for really interesting puzzles and even a little, yet very amusing, combat.

The game is pure entertainment and playfulness in every aspect. The game has only a little dialogue, but in every bit, there's a joke to be found, and each one is actually funny. The game even opens with a rather cheerful disclaimer!

As to visuals and sounds, the game is beautiful. With 2D backgrounds and characters and a single 3D character, the game has lots of room for details, and it is filled to the brink with these. From leafs slowing falling from the trees in the autumn forest, to enemies that die and turn into flowers on the ground, with petals that can be blown off, it's clear to see, that someone really put their souls into this game.

The music is relaxing and fits the tranquil mood. But a pleasant theme you can actually hum is missed.

I do have to draw some attention to the sound effects though. One of the greatest nuisances in games is usually annoying sound effects that just. Keep. On. Going! But Soul Bubbles either avoids these situations or uses sound that are never really annoying. This is really admirable.

I don't think I can really stress how great this game is. It's so great to finally see a beautiful, sizable, well-controlled, replayable and immensely creative game on the DS. Some may critiscize the difficulty, but it's important to bear in-mind that this is the type of game that's either fun and relatively easy, or really frustrating. And Soul Bubbles does well in keeping it on the fun side!

I must admit that Soul Bubbles has awoken such a confidence for me in Mekensleep, that there really is no other developer out there, who I am more anxiously awaiting a new game from.

Words and still pictures do little to justify this game, so watch this video of the very first level:

level 1 of Soul Bubbles

_
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sobu008ak.jpg‎
Views:	233
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	7597   Click image for larger version

Name:	soulbubbles06060801.jpg‎
Views:	231
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	7598   Click image for larger version

Name:	soulbubbles06060804.jpg‎
Views:	227
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	7599   Click image for larger version

Name:	soulbubbles06060809.jpg‎
Views:	233
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	7600  
Old 2008-06-20, 06:25
LOLwut?

Talking

This is a review written with the soul

I'm really excited for the game (I wish I'd have a DS). And more than excited for the developers (yays! Raynal!!! and Olivier Dejade and Omar Cornut are future Freds )

The only thing I could complain is the press reviews(favorable reviews but not too much publicity) and wikipedian's reaction Why I have to look for info, write it, check it all alone??

I invite you all to collaborate to the wiki page of this great game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_Bubbles

At least translate it to your own language

Anyway I feel ashamed to not improved the wiki page for a while Shame of me.

Hey Cyber Ares, do you think it will be a sequel to Soul Bubbles?

Old 2008-06-20, 08:27
Returning after 5 years!

Just got this game. Time to give it a test play, and I'll post a mini review on what I think of the game soon too.

Edit: Well, after an hour of playing the game, I think it's time for my mini review on what I think of it so far.

NOTE: This is only a little review of what I've played SO FAR. It is not at all accurate (as far as I know) so I really can't judge the game too much until I've really gotten far into the game. I'm only giving this little review to inform anyone who's thinking of buying this game.

Graphics: 10 out of 10
The graphics are so polished. From the cute little 3D characters to the very detailed scenery, the graphics are just fantastic in every way. As you progress through the game, you'll find that the scenery changes, but still stays in the same cute style.

Music and Sound: 9 out of 10
Nice calm and relaxing music and cute, funny sound effects. Nothing else that I can really say.

Controls: 10 out of 10
The controls are perfect. Use the touchscreen to move your character around the buttons to select the different skills you earn throughout the game (UDLR for Rightys, ABXY for Leftys, like myself. )

Originality: 8 out of 10

This game is quite similar to Loco Roco, so I can't give it a full score for originality. BUT, the game still is original in is own little ways.

Overall: 9.25 out of 10

This game is absolutely fantastic. It's one of those games that you can just play over and over again without getting sick of it. If you liked Loco Roco, I really think you're gonna like this.

Last edited by PlasmaStorm; 2008-06-20 at 09:48.
Old 2008-06-20, 10:57
Little Bastard Warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGaspar View Post
Hey Cyberg Ares, do you think it will be a sequel to Soul Bubbles?

Hmmm... possibly. Good reviews could result in enough success. But I hope not. Mekensleep seems to be a selfproclaimed defender of originality, so I'd rather have they moved on to something else.

PlasmaStorm: Though the bubble sometimes resemples the Locorocos, Soul Bubbles had been in development for 2 years before Locoroco was announced.
Old 2008-06-20, 15:32
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
And Gish was older then both
(I think)

Not that they are that simerla. Just "blob" games.

Personaly, I wouldnt want a sequal, but they should;

a) Consider a WiiWare version. This sort of thing should work well with the Wiimote, and might sale better as a download.

c) Look into getting a demo on the Nintendo Channel on the Wii.
Demo's sale obscure stuff, imho. Without a brandname its hard to get sales unless people play it and are hocked.

Quote:
And the only reason why Soul Bubbles doesn't snatch that title away from SMG, is that SMG is so massive. It simply contains more fun than Soul Bubbles. But even with the sheer size of SMG, Soul Bubbles still comes damn close
Ok, I'm sold already on that

I wonder where this game will end up on my list.