Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Projects > The Relentless Movie project
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Relentless Movie project The general for of The Relentless Movie Project. The goal of this project is to make a CG movie of Relentless.

Old 2001-07-07, 01:02
The, uh...

Question Post processing?

Will there be any post processing done with the film, and if so, what kind, and with what software?
Old 2001-07-07, 14:26
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Lumere will be mainly used for Post work, its free and is almost as good as Adobe Premire.
Old 2001-07-07, 15:21
The, uh...

Yeah, but I was thinking of more visual post-processing like motion blur, depth-of-field, layer compositing, grain, color filtering...that kind of stuff...
Old 2001-07-07, 19:16
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
3DS MAX can do all of them.
If you do motion blur in post it dosn't look so good.
Same applys to grain,colour and depth of field (In fact DOF is impossible in post)

The only thing max can't do is Layers.
Layers can be done in Lumiere, with alpha channels.
Old 2001-07-07, 21:03
The, uh...

Actually, all of those can be done in post, including DOF, and they will also look better, at least if you're using something else than multipass effects, and that takes ages for good results...
Old 2001-07-07, 21:32
Classic

DOF can not be done in post, it can only be faked.
To fake DOF field inpost you need the oringinal film plus a 'distance map' film to use as an alpha channel for the blurring.
3DS MAX can calculate DOF as its rendering producing far realistic results.
DOF won't be used much anyway.
Focusing effects will be more common.
--
How can you say motion blurs better in post?
You can't do relastic motion blur in post without 10 or so layers or verying blur intensity.
Max applys a 'tempral' blur, using the previous and next frames objects position and bluring them together. As long as you set it to calculate about 10 frames it looks very realistic.
toblix - Have you used MAX? Multipass FX's are not needed at all.Max's is very good with FX's, except volumetrics (to slow).

Rendering FX's in Max is much better in generaly because everything is calculated together. You get reflections and refractions of blurs, which is absolutly impossible in post.
Lumiere will do for any FX's Max can't, all you need is multiple layers and you can achieve anything.

Old 2001-07-08, 00:06
The, uh...

Yeah, I use Max all the time, and I can't say I'm very impressed with the non-multi pass DOF it provides, because that's also faking, blurring objects based on z-data. The only way to get true DOF is using multipass, which is really time consuming. From what I've heard, Aftereffects does a much better job of it than Max does, provided it gets valid z-data. Still, I agree DOF probably won't be necessary, as won't grain.

As for the motion blur, you're right. Obviously, Max has access to more information than any PP-application would have. I'm quite aware of this, though I didn't signal it very well...

Colour correction, though, could be quite important, but if Lumiere does that, you're all set, aren't you.

Also, Bunch-of-Volumes apparently gives quick volumetric renderings as a post-effect, much faster than the Max renderer itself.

BTW, have you tried Brazil?

Old 2001-07-08, 00:13
LBA fan

huh? Brazil?
Old 2001-07-08, 00:24
The, uh...

Yeah, it's a brilliant new renderer for 3ds max.

Splutterfish

Old 2001-07-08, 00:26
LBA fan

hm... why the program has this name?
Old 2001-07-08, 00:29
The, uh...

In fact, I think it's from the movie with the same name .
Old 2001-07-10, 14:40
Classic

toblix - I will use Lumeire for colour correction, although the new MAX v4 has colour corection on the rendering settings. I havn't used it yet, so I don't know how good it is.
I havn't tried Brazil, is it like Mental Ray?
Old 2001-07-10, 14:40
Classic

toblix - I will use Lumeire for colour correction, although the new MAX v4 has colour corection on the rendering settings. I havn't used it yet, so I don't know how good it is.
I havn't tried Brazil, is it like Mental Ray?